HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#49 - 01.17.2010 | Montreal Canadiens @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
01-18-2010, 09:19 AM
Kind of Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
You mean 16 points in the 17 games since returning from his injury, or the fact that he's the 3rd leading scorer on the team while missing 13 games, or being only one of three players with 10 or more goals?

I've got a better idea...leave the Prospal/Dubinsky/Gaborik line alone.
You're right. But going forward, all I really care about is keeping Dubinsky-Gaborik together; I think they could have success with a couple of different players on their line, and Prospal might be able to help on another line and give us some more balance.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Celestial Black

Glad we won but still thought we played poorly/sloppy for a good bit of the game. Now maybe if we can be consistent and clean up some of our holes I will feel more confident about what we can do.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 09:28 AM
Levitate

Dubinsky and Gaborik definitely work well together and it's the perfect kind of situation for someone like Dubinsky. He's not a sniper and he's not a pure playmaker, but he has enough all around skills and he's extremely good at controlling the puck, that he can create time and space for skilled linemates. Even if the Rangers magically got a number one center tomorrow, I'd almost lean towards playing that guy with players other than Gaborik, since if that hypothetical player could get the other wingers scoring, and Dubinsky and Gaborik work well together, you'd have two good lines instead of just one.

Dunno, just one of those kind of weird things. By himself, Dubinsky isn't quite skilled enough to put up a bunch of points, though I love the kind of game he plays and the strengths he has. And with less skilled wingers, his skills aren't necessarily taken advantage of either. But put him with a really skilled guy and he can keep up, make room for them, get them the puck, and also put home the chances they create. He's a great complimentary player for a star player.

If you worked it out, he's on pace for a 60 point season over an 82 game season based on his ppg average, which is just about where I think most people hoped he'd be this year.

I just really like what Dubinsky brings to this team...hell, any team. I hope he still has it in him to keep getting better and bring a little more consistency to his game

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 09:37 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Dubinsky and Gaborik definitely work well together and it's the perfect kind of situation for someone like Dubinsky. He's not a sniper and he's not a pure playmaker, but he has enough all around skills and he's extremely good at controlling the puck, that he can create time and space for skilled linemates. Even if the Rangers magically got a number one center tomorrow, I'd almost lean towards playing that guy with players other than Gaborik, since if that hypothetical player could get the other wingers scoring, and Dubinsky and Gaborik work well together, you'd have two good lines instead of just one.

Dunno, just one of those kind of weird things. By himself, Dubinsky isn't quite skilled enough to put up a bunch of points, though I love the kind of game he plays and the strengths he has. And with less skilled wingers, his skills aren't necessarily taken advantage of either. But put him with a really skilled guy and he can keep up, make room for them, get them the puck, and also put home the chances they create. He's a great complimentary player for a star player.

If you worked it out, he's on pace for a 60 point season over an 82 game season based on his ppg average, which is just about where I think most people hoped he'd be this year.

I just really like what Dubinsky brings to this team...hell, any team. I hope he still has it in him to keep getting better and bring a little more consistency to his game
I am of the belief that you could build this team around Henke in goal, Staal, MDZ and McDonagh on D, and putting good centers next to two elite wingers - Gaborik being on one line, and the other yet to be determined. I think there is enough good young talent here (Dubinsky, Callahan and Anisimov), and on the way (Grachev, Stepan and Kreider) to complement Gaborik/???. That's why I stay out of the Kovalchuk trade sweepstakes, and concern myself with creating enough cap space come July 1 when he hits UFA status.

As for Dubinsky, I agree, we are seeing close to what people were hoping for...a jump up to the 60 point player range...he's averaging just about .72 PPG and .28 GPG...a full 82 games...a full year would have him at 23/36/59...something I think a lot of people would have signed on for, and a sign that he did take the next step in his developmemt.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:20 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Great game from Dubinsky. He's shown flashes, now lets see him show some consistency.
Dubinsky has been pretty consistent. I think he's averaging over a point a game since his return and he's scoring goals at the highest clip of his career.

He's not going to have 2-point nights every night. Even guys like Crosby and Ovechkin can go a week without doing anything scoring-wise and then score in bunches.

It's the nature of the beast. There are only a handful of players in the league who can dominate on a nightly basis and have the results depicted on the scoresheet.

I think Dubinsky has been great. The only area where he has been inconsistent in is the turnover dept., and in that regard, you are right.

But since about mid-December, Dubi has outscored both Mike Richards and Travis Zajac. Not bad.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:24 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

16 points in 18 games since he came back. But he's recorded points in only 4 games in January, he's been pointless in the other 5.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by #97 View Post
16 points in 18 games since he came back. But he's recorded points in only 4 games in January, he's been pointless in the other 5.
Dubinsky, like many other members of our team, is streaky. One can only hope that when the dust settles he will end the season with better than his career high in points. Thats all I can ask for.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:48 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Yeah, but like was said, you're going to get that with players who aren't stars, and Dubinsky isn't a star.

There's some mistaking "consistency" with the actual skill level of a player.

When he went 17 games last year without scoring, that was a consistency problem. This year, not so much (yet), it's just the fact that he's not a star player who's going to put up points almost every game

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgGkqnlhUnE

Hey guys, thought you may enjoy my post-game video.

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Garv23

Huge props to Wade Redden. I'm not ready to jump on his bandwagon yet, but he scored some good points with me for sure.

It was great to hear the MSG crowd like it should sound. Now let's make this a regular thing and I'll be a happy old Ranger fan.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:15 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Problem is the Rangers cant check and fight many other teams in the league like they did the Habs last night. The Habs were sooofffffft.

So they can talk all they want about unifying and coming together in the second by sticking together and for one another but lets see that against Philly. Lets see Redden drop em with Hartnell or something.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:23 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
I think the more telling stat is his goal production...he's got 10 goals in 35 games already.... he had just 14 goals and 13 goals the past two seasons playing a full 82 games.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

I know a lot of Habs fans go on road trips to games together and I heard Ole Ole Ole chants last night at MSG. But what I am wondering is were the Habs fans chanting that all night? Or was that them in the first, and then in the 2nd and 3rd Rangers fans were mocking them by singing that?

I was waiting for Rangers fans to do the "Na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye" song but I forgot, we're not jerks like MTL.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:27 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

It sucks knowing that this team can play like that but don't ever do it on a consistent basis.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:30 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsBlueforNYR View Post
I know a lot of Habs fans go on road trips to games together and I heard Ole Ole Ole chants last night at MSG. But what I am wondering is were the Habs fans chanting that all night? Or was that them in the first, and then in the 2nd and 3rd Rangers fans were mocking them by singing that?

I was waiting for Rangers fans to do the "Na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye" song but I forgot, we're not jerks like MTL.
It was absolutley us mocking them. By the end of the night, there were no habs fans in the building and on the way down to Penn Station the chants were OLE OLE OLEEE from Ranger fans.

01-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
It was absolutley us mocking them. By the end of the night, there were no habs fans in the building and on the way down to Penn Station the chants were OLE OLE OLEEE from Ranger fans.
I find that amusing, many fans (not saying Rangers fans) say it's a pathetic, lame chant. So when it gets used against us, fans are using a lame, pathetic chant! Kinda ironic.

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Nick00

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Problem is the Rangers cant check and fight many other teams in the league like they did the Habs last night. The Habs were sooofffffft.

So they can talk all they want about unifying and coming together in the second by sticking together and for one another but lets see that against Philly. Lets see Redden drop em with Hartnell or something.

I agree completely, for the third time.
I'd like to see them show that kind of passion versus a tough opponent.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 04:03 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I find that amusing, many fans (not saying Rangers fans) say it's a pathetic, lame chant. So when it gets used against us, fans are using a lame, pathetic chant! Kinda ironic.
Not that ironic because its used against them in a mocking nature. It's not like teams use this chant on a regular basis...

NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 05:13 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
We were making fun of their "pathetic, lame chant" and mocking them. Especially since there were quite a few Habs fans chanting it in the first when they were winning. It's not like if you go to MSG tomorrow you're going to hear it.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 05:47 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Anyone else think there's some bad blood between Dubi and Gomez? Not sure what the rift is there but Gomez and Dubi got together a few times in post-whistle scrums, and the last one included the spear from Gomez.

Should be an interesting game saturday

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 06:51 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Anyone else think there's some bad blood between Dubi and Gomez? Not sure what the rift is there but Gomez and Dubi got together a few times in post-whistle scrums, and the last one included the spear from Gomez.

I'm sure they were both jawing at each other. You know how dubi is. He got into it with Avery last year when he was with dallas as well.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 07:11 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post

That wouldn't surprise me. I remember Gomez said he was eager to play on the first line with Jagr when he signed here. Then, by mid-season that year, Dubi claims the top line center spot and Gomez is relegated to the 2nd line. Gomez can be immature at times so I could see him harboring some ill will towards Dubi.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Unpredictable1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Lets see Redden drop em with Hartnell or something.
Bias aside, my money is definitely on Redden for that fight. Book it.

Unpredictable1 is offline   Reply With Quote