HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Marc Pouliot: Did the Oilers draft the wrong player or did they ruin a good prospect?

Old
01-16-2010, 04:23 PM
HotToddy

vCash: 500
Don't forget he's a year younger than Parise..when he catches up to Zach in age then we can discuss if it was a bad pick or not.

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08 View Post
What about the Tampa Bay Lightning, Anaheim Ducks, or Phoenix Coyotes? Why didn't they use their first round pick of the 2001 NHL Entry Draft to get Ales Hemsky?

Does that called bad scouting for these teams?
Bravo. It's about time somebody said it.

01-16-2010, 07:30 PM
reginaoil

Pouliet was known for competing hard every night, and getting points on a terrible team with next to no supporting cast.

Reminds me of the Seguin situation....and yes I would take Seguin over Hall.

The only thing that bothers me is that Parise was just so obviously the better player. I think they figured Pouliet would be a solid player and combined with Jaques the depth EDM would get from it would make them a better team than Parise would.....

I doubt anyone expected Parise to be a superstar, and for our two picks to struggle so bad.

If Parise was a 60-70 point guy and Pouliet a second liner and Jaques a 3rd (as I believe was the anticipation of these 3 players) this draft would not be so bad. Also remember depth and size were the serious issues of the time so they made what looked like the best move at he time.

reginaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Beerfish

It's just like a trade though. You take the best player available. I thought it was a horrible decision then and it has been bourne out as such as much as how bad jfj and pouliot are as how good Parise is.

Pouliot is terrible overall. Classic total lack of consistent play. He will give you about 4 or 5 good games a year a bunch of mediocre games and a bunch of bad ones. He really does nothing especially well. He's way way down the list of Oiler players we should be worrying about.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 07:46 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
It's just like a trade though. You take the best player available.
That usually is the best way to go.

Even if the best player is not what you need, it could be an upgrade allowing you to trade the similar known players, or trade the prospect as part of a bigger trade while the value is high and get what you want.......to me that gives you more control than picking lesser players and gambling that they turn out.

reginaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 09:48 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaoil View Post
The only thing that bothers me is that Parise was just so obviously the better player. I think they figured Pouliet would be a solid player and combined with Jaques the depth EDM would get from it would make them a better team than Parise would.....
As beerfish said, I think the Oilers ignored the first rule of drafting in the 1st round -- bpa. And I don't think that's ever a good thing to do.

They had comrie, and a few other small skilled centers and didn't want to add another. Of course, in typical fashion for prospects, the team changed completely by the time they were ready to go, and a skilled center was exactly what they needed.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 09:50 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
Don't forget he's a year younger than Parise..when he catches up to Zach in age then we can discuss if it was a bad pick or not.
You expecting a 100 goal season from Pouliot next season?

Hahahaha.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 09:51 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
You expecting a 100 goal season from Pouliot next season?

Hahahaha.
sarcasm old man.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 11:12 PM
Senor Catface

word:wooooosh

Definition: The sound of jokes flying over your head, meaning "you didn't get the joke at all".

The number of O's control the severity of the ownage.

wooooosh --------------> Joke
O
/|\ <----- you
/ \

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 11:29 PM
ekcut

Send a message via MSN to ekcut
6pts in 3 games in the AHL so far....he is sadly only 9 pts away from the top Oiler prospect down in springfield.

I'd like to see him get some more NHL time. Make or break time!

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Louiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
6pts in 3 games in the AHL so far....he is sadly only 9 pts away from the top Oiler prospect down in springfield.

I'd like to see him get some more NHL time. Make or break time!
Last game in Springfield today imo he seems ready to come back to the NHL...

but if he gets 4th line minute again with Moreau & Stortini the same story will begin...

Louiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 50
Premature thread is premature.

He's 24 years old and has shown effectiveness in NHL situations, and has played extremely well in the AHL. Give him time to round into his game and I'm sure he could be a solid 3rd line centre.

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseppi View Post
Premature thread is premature.

He's 24 years old and has shown effectiveness in NHL situations, and has played extremely well in the AHL. Give him time to round into his game and I'm sure he could be a solid 3rd line centre.
Is 8 goals and 22 points in a year acceptable for a 3rd line centre that is not physical, is not a shut down checker? Because that is what his career averages are. He has had a fair number of chances. It would be different if he did any one thing really well, great fo man? No Great defensive player? No Scorer? No Really physical? No.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

I've seen some good 2 way play and physicality from pouliot before just got to be consistent.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:34 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Combination of things. Injuries hurt him, having gone through a period where we had too many soft players didn't help either.

He was called up today, so I guess we will see what he has. I suspect that he can be a 3rd/4th liner in the NHL. Just not sure if it is with Edmonton or not.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote