HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Mike Richards vs Media Confrontation:

Old
01-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph View Post
He was clearly goading him. Why else would you keep prying when Richards is clearly trying to avoid the subject? The media has too much power and influence over the general population and almost no accountability. Also, reading the posted comments on those articles is just sad. We live in a city of sheep.
Well, they have some accountability. If you're the Flyers beat writer and you are nuking your relationship with the captain of the team in your first year on the job...you're not going to have that job for very long.

There's a reason beat writers are largely useless for getting anything other than game stories...they need to be bland and uncontroversial in order to maintain relationships that get them quotes. When you're talking to HS kids you have a lot of leeway because, lets face it, no one is talking about the personal life/mental makeup of 16 y/os in a negative light.

Then you have columnists that are insulated from that personal relationship with the team for the most part, who can be a bit more critical and analytical in their writing, because they don't personally rely on interaction with the team to do their job.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:32 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 597
Lollipops, sunshine and rainbows...

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...376&feedID=695

Quote:
Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said he is not worried about any lingering effects of the exchange between team captain Mike Richards and the media, and believes both sides will work through issues themselves.

Things got heated between the two sides following Sunday’s 5-3 loss in Washington when reporters asked Richards about comments he made to The Hockey News, suggesting he didn’t have a very good relationship with the Philadelphia media.

“I’m not concerned at all,” Holmgren said. “I really didn’t know what happened until I talked to Mike on the train on the way home after the game. I talked to him again briefly today.

“I’m not sure the question should have been asked at that time. We’re in a playoff fight here, trying to get in, and we just lost an emotional game. I’m not sure that was the right time for that question to be posed to Mike. None of us had seen the [The Hockey News] article. … just bad timing.”

Asked about what role Richards has with the media, Holmgren said it’s a learning experience.

“He’s the captain of our team,” Holmgren said. “He’s going to be put in the position where he has to answer difficult questions, time to time. I think over the course of time, Mike will get better in dealing with those questions as they come up, whether difficult or easy. He’s an honest, young man and I’m sure he was stating his feelings. I don’t think it’s a big deal.”

Holmgren didn’t directly answer a question as to whether he felt the media has been unfair to the Flyers.

“Professional sports is a tough business,” he said. “You’ve got to be prepared to deal with the good and bad that comes with it. There’s lots of good when the team wins, and sometimes when the team doesn’t win, there’s bad stuff.

“I’m sure I’m not answering your question, but I am doing my best to dance around it.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Caseus
squirrelly wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Exhibit A of why I'm glad Pronger is a Flyer:
Wow, that's a helluva good quote by Pronger. Maturity, understanding and pure leadership.

Caseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 02:36 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
TSN picked up on the story: TSN Link

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 02:39 PM
jb**

imo Richards is just trying to shift the blame to the media for his own short comings as a leader right now. It will be great if he grew up, hopefully, at some point soon. Until then he'll just come off as a complainer who cant deal with issues at hand. He seems to be a very sensitive guy. Grow a thicker skin. Concentrate on stepping up the play of yourself and your teammates.

It is a legitimate question and issue. We have read over and over about them getting back into shape for the new coach's system. Back into shape? What were you doign during the summer and training camp?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 02:52 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I don't live in Philadelphia as you all know, but isn't this (type of crap) common with the media there?
Isn't it true this kind of thing is common everywhere? Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto, Philadelphia, New York, Chicago ect ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
Yes.The local media is driven by the oldest sports talk radio station in town, 610 WIP. WIP is confrontation radio, where most hosts talk down to the fans, especially those who disagree and create stories and controversy to fill the airtime.

Unfortunately, the newspapers have aped this style in an attempt to remain relevant.

The reporter in question has now had two run ins with professional athletes about off the field/ice issues, and now he moans about how he hates to write about the off ice issues.

Unfortunately, the good journalists in town get smeared by the same cloth. Personally, I'd like to see the entire team boycott this particular reporter and force the Inquirer to relegate him back to covering high school field hockey and blind girl soccer, which is clearly his forte.
WIP is more harmful for sports in this town then I think people realize. But people eat it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Tweets from Pannachio:

tpanotch

Flyers on ice. Laviolette taking to Richards as they skate in circles. I will bet my wallet it's about the media. Lavvy gestures w/hands ...

tpanotch
My guess, as they circle and talk is he is telling him what Pronger said: get over it, and move on; bigger things to worry about than media

Wow, he is a mind reader! Since Lavi got between Richards and the writer last night, don't you think they've already talked about it?
Timmey makes me so angry sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
He's another guy who, more often than not, deserves to be managing a Chuck E. Cheese rather than writing about hockey. It's just too bad that he's banned from Chuck E. Cheese...

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
imo Richards is just trying to shift the blame to the media for his own short comings as a leader right now. It will be great if he grew up, hopefully, at some point soon. Until then he'll just come off as a complainer who cant deal with issues at hand. He seems to be a very sensitive guy. Grow a thicker skin. Concentrate on stepping up the play of yourself and your teammates.

It is a legitimate question and issue. We have read over and over about them getting back into shape for the new coach's system. Back into shape? What were you doign during the summer and training camp?
The timing of the question was wrong. They had just lost a game, and the reporter is asking questions about an article in The Hockey News that upset him. Richards even answers the question, as poorly timed as it was, but that wasn't good enough, so Richards ended the interview and walked away. The reporters followed him and pressed the issue.

The issue was raised six months ago, and according to the man who raised it-Paul Holmgren-is a dead issue.

Want to know what Richards did this summer? He rehabbed from double shoulder surgery.

As for getting back into shape, the system that Laviolette uses requires more intensive levels of work than the one Stevens ran. The same thing happened in Carolina when Laviolette took over the 'Canes from Paul Maurice.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Isn't it true this kind of thing is common everywhere? Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto, Philadelphia, New York, Chicago ect ...

WIP is more harmful for sports in this town then I think people realize. But people eat it up.

Timmey makes me so angry sometimes.

I despise WIP. Fortunately, I don;t get it where I am living.

Old
01-18-2010, 03:00 PM
jb**

Quote:
The timing of the question was wrong. They had just lost a game, and the reporter is asking questions about an article in The Hockey News that upset him. Richards even answers the question, as poorly timed as it was, but that wasn't good enough, so Richards ended the interview and walked away. The reporters followed him and pressed the issue.

The issue was raised six months ago, and according to the man who raised it-Paul Holmgren-is a dead issue.

Want to know what Richards did this summer? He rehabbed from double shoulder surgery.

As for getting back into shape, the system that Laviolette uses requires more intensive levels of work than the one Stevens ran. The same thing happened in Carolina when Laviolette took over the 'Canes from Paul Maurice.
half way through a hockey season should not require you to get back into shape regadless of the system. Yes it is more intense but still no excuse as these guys are paid millions to be in shape and adapt. That is stevens fault for being a joke of a coach and the players for not getting themselves in better shape. A disgrace either way really. Of course homer is going to say it is a dead issue. what else he is he going to say at this point? they need AA help? He was the one 6 months ago who said it has been addressed or they had concerns, something to that effect. He doesnt want to relive it now.

Old
01-18-2010, 03:08 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
half way through a hockey season should not require you to get back into shape regadless of the system. Yes it is more intense but still no excuse as these guys are paid millions to be in shape and adapt. That is stevens fault for being a joke of a coach and the players for not getting themselves in better shape. A disgrace either way really. Of course homer is going to say it is a dead issue. what else he is he going to say at this point? they need AA help? He was the one 6 months ago who said it has been addressed or they had concerns, something to that effect. He doesnt want to relive it now.
Have there been recent pics/stories (not that made up crap) in the papers recently? Any pictures, stories, or innuendoes I've seen are at least two or more years old.

Partway through a hockey season, when your previous coach never ran more than 45 minute practices does require getting into better/different shape when you have one whose system is based on high energy, puck pursuit and true relentlessness. It's no different than any job where your manager/supervisor changes - they bring a different approach to the job and you have to get up to speed, either physically or mentally. Why are the players, and Richards particularly, being slammed for this?

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 03:14 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Have there been recent pics/stories (not that made up crap) in the papers recently? Any pictures, stories, or innuendoes I've seen are at least two or more years old.

Partway through a hockey season, when your previous coach never ran more than 45 minute practices does require getting into better/different shape when you have one whose system is based on high energy, puck pursuit and true relentlessness. It's no different than any job where your manager/supervisor changes - they bring a different approach to the job and you have to get up to speed, either physically or mentally. Why are the players, and Richards particularly, being slammed for this?
they had as country club atmosphere and they allowed themselves to not want to work hard. A new coach comes and wants them to work hard. They are not in shape to meet those requirements. So whos fault is that? Maybe the captian should have stayed on the ice after practice and maybe his teammates would have followed him and put in the extra effort. He ahd to have known they wer ejust cruising along.Yes it will take some adjusting to a new coach but being out of shape is no excuse. If you dont understand the x and o's i can understand. Being out of shape is sad in this day and age for an athlete. It is not just richards either.

Old
01-18-2010, 03:16 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 597
Bill Meltzer has a fair analysis on Versus:

http://www.versus.com/blogs/nhl/how-...private-lives/

Quote:

Nevertheless, the general attitude has been that it was nothing worth printing -- all one can really discern was that the Flyers players were young men behaving the way many young men do. As for the original photos that surfaced online, it may not have been something one would condone or want their own children to emulate, but it was a non-factor as far as hockey was concerned. As long as the players did not commit any crimes or be unable to practice and play as expected of them, it was a non-story.

The issue became a printable story when Holmgren acknowledged that off-ice discipline was one of the issues he and Stevens had addressed with the team. How much of a story it should have been made into is questionable. In my view, it seemed unfair to single out the Flyers and their players because a) I'm still not convinced that players' off-ice priorities had anything to do with the club's inconsistent play, b) it's hardly a revelation that hockey players and young athletes in general go out and enjoy themselves away from work, and c) the bigger issue here is not whether some hockey players enjoy the nightlife but rather the changing expectations of privacy in the modern age.

The Flyers' players are far from the only team affected by this. Every NHL team -- and teams from all major sports -- has had to become aware of the influence of the internet. There are partying photos online of players from many different teams and athletes (and celebrities in general) from a variety of sports. In the age of social network sites, Twitter and camera phones, the expectations of privacy in off-hours are gone. If a player is seen out on the town -- in any town -- the photos and tales of their activities have a way of getting online quickly. Clubs now try to warn players that anything they do very well could end up splashed across the internet but ultimately it is up to players to use their own judgment.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 03:17 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
they had as country club atmosphere and they allowed themselves to not want to work hard. A new coach comes and wants them to work hard. They are not in shape to meet those requirements. So whos fault is that? Maybe the captian should have stayed on the ice after practice and maybe his teammates would have followed him and put in the extra effort. He ahd to have known they wer ejust cruising along.Yes it will take some adjusting to a new coach but being out of shape is no excuse. If you dont understand the x and o's i can understand. Being out of shape is sad in this day and age for an athlete. It is not just richards either.
While I don't disagree that the atmosphere was much more lackadaisical with Stevens at the helm, where does that responsibility lie?

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Even when it was broached as an issue, six months ago, Holmgren said it was addressed by the coach at the time and himself. Meaning that the issue was handled six months ago.

I have yet to see a new story about the Flyers crashing a frat party or a slew of photos that are under a year old hitting the internet-in fact most of the photos posted are either a year old or obviously posed shots, or both.

Again, the type of conditioning required to play the two systems effectively is different. Did you miss the part where I mentioned that the Hurricanes went through a similar reconditioning process when Laviolette first went there or did you just ignore it because you didn't have an answer for it?

Old
01-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Being "in shape" for a read and react system is different from being "in shape" for an aggressive forechecking system that requires twice as much skating.

Old
01-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Bill Meltzer has a fair analysis on Versus:

http://www.versus.com/blogs/nhl/how-...private-lives/
How a guy like Bill Meltzer is writing hockey as a sideline while Sam Carchidi is making his living at it is baffling to me.

Old
01-18-2010, 03:22 PM
jb**

Quote:
Even when it was broached as an issue, six months ago, Holmgren said it was addressed by the coach at the time and himself. Meaning that the issue was handled six months ago.

I have yet to see a new story about the Flyers crashing a frat party or a slew of photos that are under a year old hitting the internet-in fact most of the photos posted are either a year old or obviously posed shots, or both.

Again, the type of conditioning required to play the two systems effectively is different. Did you miss the part where I mentioned that the Hurricanes went through a similar reconditioning process when Laviolette first went there or did you just ignore it because you didn't have an answer for it?
i do not care about what happened with the hurricanes. I care about the flyers. any articles to verifythis byt he way? they should not be out of shape period and it should not take this long to get up to speed for as new system, shape wise. When stevens was here they were gased at the end of a game. that is unaccpetable.

Old
01-18-2010, 03:23 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
How a guy like Bill Meltzer is writing hockey as a sideline while Sam Carchidi is making his living at it is baffling to me.
You'd be surprised at just how often that type of scenario is the case.

Welcome to the wonderful world of professional sports journalism.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:

How is he blaming his supposed shortcomings as a leader on the media? He was asked an irrelevant question after a tough loss, a question that was largely personal because the reporter took offence to the Hockey News article, and he answered it. The reporter got in his face when he didn't like the answer. Who wouldn't be upset with him given the **** they make up and then he gets in your face after you give an honest answer? He's a nerdy little reporter grilling a hockey player about a different interview instead of the game. It was dumb.

Way to read too much into it.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
i do not care about what happened with the hurricanes. I care about the flyers. any articles to verifythis byt he way? they should not be out of shape period and it should not take this long to get up to speed for as new system, shape wise. When stevens was here they were gased at the end of a game. that is unaccpetable.
Yeah, some guy named Peter Laviolette said it took the Hurricanes about twenty games to get in the proper conditioning and gain the understanding of his system to play it effectively.

Not that he would know, or anything...

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...ttes-long-road

Old
01-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
You'd be surprised at just how often that type of scenario is the case.

Welcome to the wonderful world of professional sports journalism.
I realize it and know it happens. Got spoiled as a kid having guys like Jay Greenberg as the Flyers beat writer.

Old
01-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Jester

Quote:
i do not care about what happened with the hurricanes. I care about the flyers. any articles to verifythis byt he way? they should not be out of shape period...
They weren't out of shape. No one that steps on a NHL ice surface is "out of shape" by any standard you want to apply. However, that doesn't mean they're in good enough shape to play the style that Laviolette advocates.

Quote:
...and it should not take this long to get up to speed for as new system, shape wise. When stevens was here they were gased at the end of a game. that is unaccpetable.
Why not? Teams exit training camp without their system fully pulled together. The first 20 games of the NHL season every year are messy, sloppy, and just generally poorly played hockey. Some of that is guys getting physically into the groove, but a lot of it is that team play simply doesn't coalesce until you hit the middle point of the season (when Laviolette came in).

So, you're expecting a coach to come in midseason and implement a new system and get it up and running with a quickness during a stretch of games on an every-other-night basis (meaning he had little good practice time)? If he'd pulled that off he'd be the best coach in the history of the sport.

Old
01-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Jester

Quote:
I realize it and know it happens. Got spoiled as a kid having guys like Jay Greenberg as the Flyers beat writer.
Get used to it, though. It's a crappy job in this print market, and it's dying with a quickness. Not to mention, the NHL largely gets the bottom of the barrel when it comes to writers (in the US) at that.

Old
01-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Get used to it, though. It's a crappy job in this print market, and it's dying with a quickness. Not to mention, the NHL largely gets the bottom of the barrel when it comes to writers (in the US) at that.
I know, thank god for guys like Meltzer, who do it as much out of love for the game as anything else.

Old
01-18-2010, 03:45 PM
Jester

Quote:
I know, thank god for guys like Meltzer, who do it as much out of love for the game as anything else.
Yep, but the thing about Meltzer is that if he was working a beat he'd have to alter his approach a bit. I also don't think his style would translate to a paper all that well. He's in many respects the epitome of the value blogging has to writing about stuff, and at the same time exposes the very problem with the newspaper industry.

It's just a shame that hockey in the US has very few writers that come anywhere near some of the folks that are writing about other sports. If we could just get one of the good baseball writers to jump the river and start writing about hockey it would do wonders.