HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dave Hodge whining about Taylor Hall sweepstakes

Old
01-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Mentallydull

vCash: 500
Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't understand where the outcry from Oiler fans is coming from...

Looks to me like he just stated some facts and opinion, I don't see any crying or complaining.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I already stated it. Mess left for marketing $. Just like Gretzky.

You think its an accident they went to NY and LA?

Look up the marketing income of star athletes in sports. Their actual pay is peanuts compared to their marketing dollars. The cap solves none of that. Star players want star markets.

No star player with any economic motivation would play out his career here cap or no cap.
Link?

Old
01-18-2010, 04:36 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't understand where the outcry from Oiler fans is coming from...

Looks to me like he just stated some facts and opinion, I don't see any crying or complaining.
The impression I'm getting from that article is that because its Edmonton, the team is "purposely" tanking for Hall and its "unethical"-thus, the draft procedure should change.

If it was Toronto, I highly doubt a similar article would arise. In fact, I'm sure Hodge would "endorse" a tank. The fact that Toronto doesn't have their first pick is probably the reason why Hodge is bickering at Edmonton, potentially the first Canadian team post lockout to get 1st overall and/or because we might get a stud in Hall.

Goes both ways I guess. The day after we lost to Columbus 4-2, Terry Jones was like [to paraphrase it] "thank god we didn't win else we can't get Hall".

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Mentallydull

Edit:

Just read it again and I can see where it's implied that the Oilers might be tanking.

The first part of his 'blurb' confuses the hell out of me though, I don't know who the "we" and "they" are or what exactly he's trying to say.

I do like his idea though.

Last edited by Mentallydull: 01-18-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old
01-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Fourier

Quote:
What I got from it is that the supposed Oiler fans are cheering when the team loses. He said he says the same thing about the draft order every year but who knows.

I didn't really notice anything blatantly provoking but I guess if you attempted to read between the lines you could find something (whether or not it's actually there is something else entirely).
I don't see anything specifically singling out Edmonton either. BUt I think the premise of the article is wrong. There is no indication what so ever that there has been a conspiracy to tank by anyone, but that is also beside the point. The comment about so-called-fans is what I would point to. We can debate the merits of actively cheering for your team to lose, but I have no doubt what so ever that many of these people are as passionate about their team as those fans that cheer despite the team's current circumstances.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 05:02 PM
davegagnerskid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Breathe Hockey View Post
I just wanted to encourage others to send an email of distaste for Hodges comments about Oiler fans.

I sent Dave a letter letting him know that I was very offended he would call out Oiler fans the way he did. They are unfair and unjust comments and were displayed on a national program. He should worry about real issues in the NHL, and not if a Sold Out Rexall are "so-called" fans of the team!

What a D-Bag!!
I did right after I read the article.

audiencerelations@tsn.ca

RE: Dave Hodge

davegagnerskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I think the reason everyone is losing there mind is because when you read it you can interprut it a million different ways....of course on this board they are going to take it as a knock against the Oilers. I watched it, that's not at all what he meant. First of all, he was saying it's embarrassing for the league that fans of the bottom feeders now pull for there teams to lose because the system is flawed. Not one of these fans that are bi*ching about this have any idea if Hodge has brought this up before. He likely has because he speaks about how wrong it was last season that Leafs fans were doing this same thing. It was so much more about how flawed the system is to get the number 1 pick then it was saying that the Oilers were tanking.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 05:32 PM
FunkyChicken

Firstly, Dave Hodge hasn't said anything relevant in 20 years.
Secondly, stop playing the victim and being so defensive to everything the eastern media say.
Thirdly, have some sympathy. We're bitter cause the Oilers suck and have crappy management, all of their sports teams (Jays, Leafs, Argos and Raptors) suck and have crappy management. Think of how bitter you'd be.

FunkyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
I think the reason everyone is losing there mind is because when you read it you can interprut it a million different ways....of course on this board they are going to take it as a knock against the Oilers. I watched it, that's not at all what he meant. First of all, he was saying it's embarrassing for the league that fans of the bottom feeders now pull for there teams to lose because the system is flawed. Not one of these fans that are bi*ching about this have any idea if Hodge has brought this up before. He likely has because he speaks about how wrong it was last season that Leafs fans were doing this same thing. It was so much more about how flawed the system is to get the number 1 pick then it was saying that the Oilers were tanking.
Agreed.

I wish I could cheer for the Oilers to win right now, there's a full half a season to go and then the off-season b4 we get a chance to cheer again. But this is the same Carolina team that beat us in game 7 with a 1st overall pick who's still on their roster, and we just watched Pittsburgh win the Cup last year with their bevy of 1st overall draft picks as well.

The Oilers played it straight up for the last 15 years straight, drafted 12th-14th about 10 times and have one cup run amid 14 other seasons of mediocrity or worse to show for all that honest effort.

Yes, it's well proven that the Oilers are better off tanking than battling it out for 9th in the west. Again. And watching the teams with the smirks on their faces walk away from the draft with future hall of famers, on route to the Stanley Cup. I think there's a saying that goes something like "Fool me 15 times, shame on you. Fool me 16 times, shame on me."

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Slicknitty
"80,000 peoples"

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
I think there's a saying that goes something like "Fool me 15 times, shame on you. Fool me 16 times, shame on me."
QFL (quoted for LAWLZ!!!!)

Slicknitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Lounge Act*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Agreed.

I wish I could cheer for the Oilers to win right now, there's a full half a season to go and then the off-season b4 we get a chance to cheer again. But this is the same Carolina team that beat us in game 7 with a 1st overall pick who's still on their roster, and we just watched Pittsburgh win the Cup last year with their bevy of 1st overall draft picks as well.

The Oilers played it straight up for the last 15 years straight, drafted 12th-14th about 10 times and have one cup run amid 14 other seasons of mediocrity or worse to show for all that honest effort.

Yes, it's well proven that the Oilers are better off tanking than battling it out for 9th in the west. Again. And watching the teams with the smirks on their faces walk away from the draft with future hall of famers, on route to the Stanley Cup. I think there's a saying that goes something like "Fool me 15 times, shame on you. Fool me 16 times, shame on me."
You said it perfectly.

2007-10 - and possibly the next few years - will be worth it and then some if we get a Cup or two out of it. I really hope Oilers mgmt. "gets it".

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote