HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ray Whitney to Pens Imminent (MOD EDIT: No, ESPN just wants you to pay them money)

Old
01-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
I'd like to see us figure out our Powerplay and then work on the roster.
The problem with this PP might actually be the roster since they don't seem to have an actual shooter/finisher on the team right now.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 07:51 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
Shero Readying a Trade with Habs. Gill and Gionta for Guerin, Skoula, and Curry. e9
We need a dman like Gill in our defense, and a forward like Gionta on the Wings. At the end of the deadline day our lines should look something like this.

Kunitz-Crosby-Gionta
Talbot-Malkin-Whitney
Cooke-Staal-TK
Rupp-Adams-Dupuis
God

Gonchar-Orpik
Eaton-Letang
McKee-Gogo/Gill
Gill/Gogo

Fleury
Johnson

66-29-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 07:52 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
The problem with this PP might actually be the roster since they don't seem to have an actual shooter/finisher on the team right now.
Last season didn't Crosby say no to splitting the PP lines up? he rather have 1 monster line, then 2 good lines.

Old
01-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Last season didn't Crosby say no to splitting the PP lines up? he rather have 1 monster line, then 2 good lines.
Yeah, I don't remember. It wouldn't surprise me since the 1st unit plays almost the whole 2 minutes anyway.

Old
01-18-2010, 07:57 PM
cassius

"Adding isn't going to help this team"

Yeah, exactly - I mean adding Kunitz and Guerin basically screwed up our entire season last year. Those guys SUCKED in the playoffs.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
I'd like to see us figure out our Powerplay and then work on the roster.
....But if it takes a roster move to get the PP going, how are you going to fix the PP?

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 08:01 PM
AK

There will always be a revolving door of wingers around Crosby and Malkin.

Whitney would be a great addition, probably of just as much impact as Guerin last season.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 08:33 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
....But if it takes a roster move to get the PP going, how are you going to fix the PP?
I don't buy that. Gonchar, Crosby, and Malkin. You should be able to put almost any two players with that and have a top 5 powerplay in the NHL.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 08:34 PM
metalan2

Quote:
We need a dman like Gill in our defense, and a forward like Gionta on the Wings. At the end of the deadline day our lines should look something like this.

Kunitz-Crosby-Gionta
Talbot-Malkin-Whitney
Cooke-Staal-TK
Rupp-Adams-Dupuis
God

Gonchar-Orpik
Eaton-Letang
McKee-Gogo/Gill
Gill/Gogo

Fleury
Johnson
Do you think God would settle for being the 13th forward? I would think he would want to play every position at the same time, definitely would want to at least center the top line.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
Fixed that for ya, otherwise Etrash may sue you for copy right infringement.
With your legal prowess and my nose for intense hockey trade rumors, we are unstoppable.

Quote:
We need a dman like Gill in our defense, and a forward like Gionta on the Wings. At the end of the deadline day our lines should look something like this...

So let it be written so let it be done... I'm sure Montreal has no problems with giving up Gionta and Gill in return for wild Bill and some spare parts. I saw it on the web, pretty sure it's true.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 08:56 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
So let it be written so let it be done... I'm sure Montreal has no problems with giving up Gionta and Gill in return for wild Bill and some spare parts. I saw it on the web, pretty sure it's true.
Of course it is true, IT'S FROM THE FRICKEN INTERNETS! if you hear it from someone's mouth then it's not true.

Old
01-18-2010, 09:13 PM
Mordax
It don't Maatta

Quote:
I don't buy that. Gonchar, Crosby, and Malkin. You should be able to put almost any two players with that and have a top 5 powerplay in the NHL.
YEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOO...

Mordax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 09:25 PM
Dan Barr

How would you guys feel about Nolan if Whitney couldn't be had? He's even closer to being a Bill Guerin copy.

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 09:30 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
How would you guys feel about Nolan if Whitney couldn't be had? He's even closer to being a Bill Guerin copy.
I'd rather go for Tkachuk before Nolan, both will be cheaper than Whitney though.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 09:58 PM
jdpitt05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
Just about anyone would be an upgrade over what we have. Nolan would be an upgrade, Tkachuk would be an upgrade. Freaking Lee Stempniak and Raffi Torres would be an upgrade. *Head Explodes*

jdpitt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
With your legal prowess and my nose for intense hockey trade rumors, we are unstoppable.
Thanks, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Last edited by Ugene Malkin: 01-18-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old
01-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:

The point here is, they should, but they don't.

Old
01-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Viggo Mortensen

Quote:

Yeah, 2 UFAs and another goalie for our 2nd goal scorer and a good PK defenseman

Done deal

Viggo Mortensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:40 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
No offense but it wouldn't take anything close to Crosby or Malkin to get Ruutu in a trade... not that it matters because I doubt anyone is asking.

But more to the point, there aren't enough thoroughbreds on your team to acquire either of those guys. Put another way: if your GM suggested we trade either Crosby or Malkin for both E. Staal and Ruutu, Shero wouldn't give it much consideration IMHO... and Staal is a damn good player. Most GMs wouldn't. Those two guys are another echelon up from the best player on your team (Staal), who himself is another echelon up from the rest of your team.
I didn't say anyone was asking. I was saying that it would take a huge overpayment from what you may value him at. He's young, cheap, and provides a lot more then just points for the Canes. He brings physicality up front, something we mostly lack otherwise, he seems to be the key to keeping Pitkanen happy, and he does put up points.

We don't want to try and overpay for Crosby or Malkin. But the point was that in order to get a player explicitly named as a key part of the team we're going to try and build going forward, you're going to have to overpay significantly.

As for Whitney versus Guerin or whoever, Whitney had 77 points last year, good enough for a tie for 22nd in the NHL. Below him were players such as Staal, Spezza, Alfredsson, Heatley and Hossa. Guerin had 48 points last year. They're not comparables.

You want to think about what you would give up for him as a rental? Think about what you gave for Hossa.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:52 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
I didn't say anyone was asking. I was saying that it would take a huge overpayment from what you may value him at. He's young, cheap, and provides a lot more then just points for the Canes. He brings physicality up front, something we mostly lack otherwise, he seems to be the key to keeping Pitkanen happy, and he does put up points.

We don't want to try and overpay for Crosby or Malkin. But the point was that in order to get a player explicitly named as a key part of the team we're going to try and build going forward, you're going to have to overpay significantly.

As for Whitney versus Guerin or whoever, Whitney had 77 points last year, good enough for a tie for 22nd in the NHL. Below him were players such as Staal, Spezza, Alfredsson, Heatley and Hossa. Guerin had 48 points last year. They're not comparables.

You want to think about what you would give up for him as a rental? Think about what you gave for Hossa.

It will not take half of what it took to get Hossa to get Whitney. A 2nd rounder and a prospect will probably suffice.

Not two young roster players, a top prospect, and a 1st rounder.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

We only gave up a bunch of crap for Hossa in hindsight. At the time it was our 1st round pick, our 1st round pick the year before (Espo) A solid 30-40 point 3rd liner (Colby) A bit of an enigma in EC. He had upside because of talent. He lacked heart etc. He's been worthless since.

Anyway, I'd say you'd be very lucky to get a late 1st for Whitney and I'm not 100% sure that will happen either. It could, though. One thing's for sure, He ain't Hossa and he won't get multiple 1st round picks + other things etc.

We traded Mark Recchi to you guys. He had 57 points in 63 games that year for us. Sounds like a similar season to the one Whitney is having and at a similar point of their careers. I thought we could get a 1st for Recchi, but we didn't. We got a 2nd + a couple journeyman minor leaguers. Could be the same for Whitney. We'll see.

Old
01-18-2010, 11:01 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Good lord, Whitney = Hossa trade value?

For reals?

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:07 PM
WVP

Kovalchuk gets the Hossa return.

I'm guessing Whitney gets a nice pick and a pretty decent prospect but that will depend on who's bidding.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Kovalchuk gets the Hossa return.

I'm guessing Whitney gets a nice pick and a pretty decent prospect but that will depend on who's bidding.
Yeah, but if Don Waddell comes away with the same crap he got for Hossa, he'll be fired this time... Well, I guess if they haven't fired him for all the screw-ups so far, he could still be safe. The guy must have some dirty secrets about his owner or something. Only logical explanation for him still having his job at this point. He's made some Milbury-esque trades over the years for Atlanta, though.

Old
01-18-2010, 11:51 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

To Car:
2nd round
fedotenko

To Tor:
2nd round

To Pitt: