HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islander nice guy

Old
01-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Mets09

vCash: 500
Islander nice guy

just wanted to make a comment on robbie scremp. i went to the open practice this morning and came to realize how nice of a guy that schremp really is. I didn think that he was i heard a few times from people that hes cocky, he has an attitude and that has hurt his reputation with edmonton. Well at practice today i noticed him laughing with a few fans that had signs for him and when they were done practicing he must of signed autographs for about a half hour. The only other players that signed after practice were bruno and rollie and they signed for about 5 minutes. Scrempie signed for literally ever person that was standing near the isles entrance and also picked up little kids and took pictures with them. i just dont get where people get that hes not a nice guy because from what i see hes deffiently gotta be one of the nicest guys in the NHL.

Mets09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 06:04 PM
OpAck

He's probably just looking for people to help him move his stuff into his apartment. Did he show off his "Schremp" tattoo?

I'm glad to hear he's good to the fans and really enjoying his time here in the NHL. I'm one of the fans that thinks he has been working hard to get to where he is now. Good for him!

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:25 PM
NYIschremp44

he's been known for that type stuff since his days in Mississauga. He's always flipping pucks to kids through out warm ups and at the end he's always the last off the ice with a few pucks to give out to kids.

NYIschremp44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Renbarg

I think he gets a bad rap because of his sense of humor. I think he is the type of guy who is cocky and knows it but overplays it in order to be funny.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 03:05 AM
ktrio730

Send a message via AIM to ktrio730
Little stories like this always make me cheer harder for that certain guy for some reason.

ktrio730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 06:50 AM
lazycop
F Theo Fleury

My kid went down and got Schremp, Tamby, and Gervais to sign his hat after the open skate and he said that Schremp couldn't have been cooler. Laughing, joking around with everyone, absolutely no attitude.
And the stuff he was doing at the start of practice just skating around doing the lacrosse thing with the puck was eye-popping, to say the least.

Last edited by lazycop: 01-18-2010 at 07:20 AM.
lazycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 08:36 AM
Chardo

I have traveled with the team on four road trips, so I have been with them on the plane, in the hotel, at dinner, morning skate, pre and post game. I can confirm that Schremp and Gervais are true nice guys. I had breakfast with Bruno, and I can tell you he is also one of the funniest on the team. Most of the players will gladly spend the extra few minutes to sign every autograph. Some are very outgoing (Bailey, Sim, Sutton, all three goalies). While not unfriendly, some are just not very talkative (especially Martinek, but Tavares also falls in this group). Overall they are a very likable group.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 08:59 AM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
While not unfriendly, some are just not very talkative (especially Martinek, but Tavares also falls in this group). Overall they are a very likable group.
I think Marti has a hard time understanding at times. It seems like more of a language barrier then anything. Ive noticed this in interviews and talking to him in person.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:02 AM
OpAck

I shared a Pepsi with Oleg Kvasha once......true story.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
He weakly took a sip then let you rip it from his hands and chug the rest?

Old
01-18-2010, 05:02 PM
NYI91

Quote:
I have traveled with the team on four road trips, so I have been with them on the plane, in the hotel, at dinner, morning skate, pre and post game. I can confirm that Schremp and Gervais are true nice guys. I had breakfast with Bruno, and I can tell you he is also one of the funniest on the team. Most of the players will gladly spend the extra few minutes to sign every autograph. Some are very outgoing (Bailey, Sim, Sutton, all three goalies). While not unfriendly, some are just not very talkative (especially Martinek, but Tavares also falls in this group). Overall they are a very likable group.
Did Bruno make you breakfast?

Chef Bruno!

NYI91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Kostas X

Quote:

In a complete non stalker way this makes me so jealous. Obviously hanging with pro athletes is cool, but there's something different about the Islanders. A lot of the guys are the same age as me (22) staying on the Island, I feel like I'd be able to relate to them, as opposed to say the Mets.

Kostas X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Toujin

I absolutely love stories like this. The great character and heart of this team is a big reason I became a fan of this team in the first place. One of the big reasons I love my Phillies as much as I do as well.

It's so awesome not only seeing Schremp excel here, but also being so good to the fans.

This kind of reminds me of the open house they had at NVMC back in the first half of the 2006-2007 season. They let you tour all the NVMC including all the behind the scenes player areas, locker rooms, all that good stuff. They only have 2 guys scheduled to attend, but then all these other players came just because they wanted to, unannounced to even the staff working it. I got to meet Teddy, Garth, Bruno and Asham, who were scheduled, then DP, Satan, Dunham, and someone else showed up too. I talked to Miro and DP for a good while, and they were all really great with the fans, especially the kids, and it was an awesome experience.

I also ended up bumping into Mike York leaving GMG's office that day too. He looked kinda pissed off. A few days later he got traded. I LOL'd.

Toujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Toujin

Quote:
Just out of curiousity, how did you arrange such things? Do you work for the team? :O

Toujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 09:38 PM
pattyb91

Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
Quote:
haha sounds like a good time. They definitly seem like a good group of guys. Bruno seems like he'd be fun to chill with. Overall I like what Snow has done with getting talented players that are genuinely good people.
btw I'm jealous, I've always wanted to see what it'd be like to go on a road trip with the team.

pattyb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 01:37 AM
Pnut

Chardo I am jealous

If you go to Isles TV there is the thing on the Lady Islanders Bowl A Thon....you can see how cool all of them are. In one part Moulson is getting ready to swing the ball down the lane and Hillen says "Wait! Mr. Moulson, Mr. Moulson! I need to conduct an interview!"

good to see that Schremp et all are good people. More importantly they seem to be getting better on the ice.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 01:46 AM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
I think he gets a bad rap because of his sense of humor. I think he is the type of guy who is cocky and knows it but overplays it in order to be funny.
I agree with this. I always have a soft spot for guys who are charitable and pleasant to fans. There are so many athletes who decide they do not have to be for whatever reason. This is why Cal Ripken Jr. is one of my favorite athletes of all-time.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 08:29 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
you were on the opposing team heading into the corner for a loose puck. While getting ready to make contact simply to maintain body position, he stopped drinking his pepsi and offered you a sip while he grabbed teh stick with both hands and continued his tenacious puck pursuit.

I miss that player.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujin View Post
Just out of curiousity, how did you arrange such things? Do you work for the team? :O
No I don't work for the team. Long story short, first trip was a raffle prize and the others were auctions at the charity golf outings.

Old
01-19-2010, 11:17 AM
CrimsonBruin21

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzo View Post
I agree with this. I always have a soft spot for guys who are charitable and pleasant to fans. There are so many athletes who decide they do not have to be for whatever reason. This is why Cal Ripken Jr. is one of my favorite athletes of all-time.
You and me both. Cal was/is the absolute best. A true gentleman.

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote