HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Wild @ Coyotes (01/16/10)

Old
01-17-2010, 03:53 AM
yakko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo Taco Monday View Post
Our Bipolar defense is getting a bit frustrating, but 2 pts is 2 pts.
I imagine "frustrating" is not the word Tippett plans to use. The Coyotes won, but they got away with a lot of sloppy play.

Quote:
I guess like many, I'm asking myself, "what does it mean" to see the shoddy defense and average goaltending. At the same time, the Phoenix freaking Coyotes just gave up 7 goals in back to back games against Brodeur and Backstrom and came away with 4 points in regulation, including with some of the most impressive tick-tack-toe passing we've seen all year.
The tic-tac-toe passing was one thing I was noticing during this game. The Coyotes have been trying to force those plays all season long. It's nothing new. They hate to shoot. The difference tonight was the ability to complete the play. The question is can they reproduce that sort of production on those plays? Was the production a result of the Coyotes tic-tac-toe passing finally coming together or the Wild defense having passing lanes you could drive a truck through? I tend to think it is the Wild defense not the Coyotes offense.

It actually scares me that the Coyotes were able to win tonight. Will they start to think they can win games when they play like that? They played awful and came away with two points. That won't happen very often.

Quote:
I'll take it. Bryz is a good goaltender, and he had two saves of the spectacular variety. Latandresse's third goal was put in a space of about 4 inches. He'll come back around. In the meantime, 4 points is 4 points.
Bryz was fine. He may have played back a little bit, but really he had a fine game. He's not the problem. The rest of the team is still troubling me though.

Doan was a beast playing with Fiddler and Winnik. Winnik will never be Doan, I know that, but he still shows flashes of reminding me of Doan like when he carried the puck out from behind the net with a defender draped on his back and still managed to put a pass right into the perfect spot on Doan's stick for a one time goal. That entire line played well.

Upshall is reverting. He is letting the opposition get in his head, he is taking bad penalties and is generally playing without discipline. He is a dynamic player when he can play with speed and get his shot off in traffic. He is a problem when he can't keep his stick down or play smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Does it appear to anyone else that the defensive collapse has coincided with the arrival of Anders Ericksson?
I'm really disappointed with Eriksson. His first two or three games, I thought he was the perfect 6/7 guy. He didn't do anything well and he didn't do anything bad. He was just a sound defensive presence. Since then he has turned into a real problem. I don't know what happened, but his decision making with the puck has regressed and he is a problem every time the puck touches his stick.

Clutterbuck is still a dirt bag.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 08:38 AM
Tom Polakis
W-L-W-L-W-L...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
I imagine "frustrating" is not the word Tippett plans to use. The Coyotes won, but they got away with a lot of sloppy play.
You mean like those three (!) two-on-ones against the Coyotes in the first period that the Wild fortunately did not convert on?

Quote:
The question is can they reproduce that sort of production on those plays? Was the production a result of the Coyotes tic-tac-toe passing finally coming together or the Wild defense having passing lanes you could drive a truck through? I tend to think it is the Wild defense not the Coyotes offense.

I'll give them a bit of slack, and say that it was a combination of the two. There have been plenty of games this season when the Coyotes couldn't put passes on the tape through similarly truck-sized lanes.

Quote:
Upshall is reverting. He is letting the opposition get in his head, he is taking bad penalties and is generally playing without discipline.
He took a penalty in the offensive zone five seconds into our power play. Then he took another penalty right after the Wild had scored a power play goal. It will be interesting to see how many minutes Upshall gets in the next game.

Tom Polakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:39 AM
hbk

Upshall is our version of Burrows and Carcillo.

A player with a reputation of embellishment and chippy attitude who has never shied away from voicing his concerns to a referee rather than closing his yap.

From time to time referees will send a message to those players by allowing no grey area and anything remotely close to a penalty is called.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 09:57 AM
CitizenCoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_tiger View Post
THat display of not having paid attention to th eplay at the end for the 6th goal proved something I had noticed ever since I moved out here. The lower bowl has a bunch of morns that don;t know hockey and can't follow the play. Throwning hats for a hat trick that never happened... Prucha was 10-15 ft away from the puck when it went in and people still thought he scored it...shessh
I thought Prucha scored it and I've been watching hockey for going on 40 years. It's only natural on a play like that -- your eye follows the puck into the corner and by the time you notice the puck is in the net, Prucha is standing right on the doorstep. If you didn't actually see the puck hit the defender, it's not an unreasonable assumption.

I agree that there are fans in the lower bowl who don't have a Vancouver or Montreal level of knowledge about the game. And you should never throw your hat if you're not sure. But I don't think it was crazy to think Prucha scored that one -- in fact even the radio guys thought it was his goal for a moment.

CitizenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:41 AM
_Del_

vCash: 50
I was there (and the play happened almost right in front of us), and we all thought Prucha had the goal as well. Pretty entertaining game. Not much to be said that hasn't been mentioned already.

_Del_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:43 AM
AZduner

I was unable to attend (or even watch/listen) the game last night. Looking at the stats, why did the line of Pyatt/Lang/Mueller has so little ice time? Peter Mueller with 9 minutes?? And he seemed to be getting hot as of late.
Based on some of the comments here, it sounds like nobody had a stellar game, but was this line especially bad?

AZduner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 10:51 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZduner View Post
I was unable to attend (or even watch/listen) the game last night. Looking at the stats, why did the line of Pyatt/Lang/Mueller has so little ice time? Peter Mueller with 9 minutes?? And he seemed to be getting hot as of late.
Based on some of the comments here, it sounds like nobody had a stellar game, but was this line especially bad?
they were on the ice for the 1st goal against by the Wild. Under Tippett's system you earn your ice time and the trio mentioned above got caught cheating.

Fiddler's line and Hanzal's line were clicking early so this is also a reward system as well. We did play a great game until we got that 4 goal lead and Upshall started his penalty spree.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 12:00 PM
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyotesVisitor View Post
I thought Prucha scored it and I've been watching hockey for going on 40 years. It's only natural on a play like that -- your eye follows the puck into the corner and by the time you notice the puck is in the net, Prucha is standing right on the doorstep. If you didn't actually see the puck hit the defender, it's not an unreasonable assumption.

I agree that there are fans in the lower bowl who don't have a Vancouver or Montreal level of knowledge about the game. And you should never throw your hat if you're not sure. But I don't think it was crazy to think Prucha scored that one -- in fact even the radio guys thought it was his goal for a moment.
Watched the Wild feed replay when I got home, and their broadcasters thought it was Prucha, too.

AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:27 PM
czechmate25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
Pruuuu! 2nd of the night.

Nice to see them putting away the Wild.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Coyotes Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Does it appear to anyone else that the defensive collapse has coincided with the arrival of Anders Ericksson?
Any attempts to annoint Anders Ericksson as the new David Hale are without merit.

Ericksson, although not swift of foot, is strong on the puck in the corners and positionally sound. In his 11 games he sports a +1 rating.

Perhaps your ire should be directed at Sami Lepisto, who skates with a -5 rating and factored significantly into the GA in the last two games.

Coyotes Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 03:52 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Hey guys missed the game. Looks like its was bad D but great O. I see Mueller got less than 10 minutes and was a -1.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 05:29 PM
AZduner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Hey guys missed the game. Looks like its was bad D but great O. I see Mueller got less than 10 minutes and was a -1.
I commented on this too. I just don't agree with Tippett on this one! Yeah yeah punishment and reward. I get that. But it seems that Mueller gets ALOT of punishment - and other players do the same things and their ice time is not cut. Does Tippett have it out for this young player? Everyone says he needs to step up and produce. He can't do that if he's not on the ice!

AZduner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 03:20 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Upshall is our version of Burrows and Carcillo.

A player with a reputation of embellishment and chippy attitude who has never shied away from voicing his concerns to a referee rather than closing his yap.

From time to time referees will send a message to those players by allowing no grey area and anything remotely close to a penalty is called.
They wouldn't have been called if he didn't high stick two Wild players squarely in the face. The second one may not have been quite as obvious as the first, but keeping your stick on the ice (or atleast below your waist) will prevent the referee from making those calls.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 03:22 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZduner View Post
I commented on this too. I just don't agree with Tippett on this one! Yeah yeah punishment and reward. I get that. But it seems that Mueller gets ALOT of punishment - and other players do the same things and their ice time is not cut. Does Tippett have it out for this young player? Everyone says he needs to step up and produce. He can't do that if he's not on the ice!
I don't think Tippett trusts the Mueller/Lang/Pyatt line in defensive situations, like when defending a one-goal lead. Mueller's continued to look solid on the offensive and his confidence was coming around, so let's hope he doesn't get discouraged.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 03:52 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotes Crusader View Post
Any attempts to annoint Anders Ericksson as the new David Hale are without merit.

Ericksson, although not swift of foot, is strong on the puck in the corners and positionally sound. In his 11 games he sports a +1 rating.

Perhaps your ire should be directed at Sami Lepisto, who skates with a -5 rating and factored significantly into the GA in the last two games.
this team needs a defensive whipping boy each season; last year it was David Epic Fail, the two before were JoVo Cough, even Z his first year caught the ire of folks for his passes threw our crease. This season it's gotta be Ericksson. I'm struggling for his nick name though.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 03:55 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
this team needs a defensive whipping boy each season; last year it was David Epic Fail, the two before were JoVo Cough, even Z his first year caught the ire of folks for his passes threw our crease. This season it's gotta be Ericksson. I'm struggling for his nick name though.
Ericksuck?

Anyway, he is what he is a replacement or 7th D....they usually aren't that good.

ShootThePuckCoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 04:02 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootThePuckCoyotes View Post
Ericksuck?

Anyway, he is what he is a replacement or 7th D....they usually aren't that good.
I like that, he doesn't suck anywhere near as much as the Epic Fail. and your 100% right what do we expect from a 7th guy? But none the less he is a designated coyotes defensive whipping boy, I am anointing him that title

Erick-suck-erson

Old
01-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Eriksson isn't that bad guys. If you want to focus on someone on D who hasn't been playing too well it's Lepisto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Bad D and a HUGE weakness in Bryz's game.

http://coyotes.azvibe.com/2010/01/18...n-full-effect/

Old
01-18-2010, 04:24 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Eriksson isn't that bad guys. If you want to focus on someone on D who hasn't been playing too well it's Lepisto.

Bad D and a HUGE weakness in Bryz's game.

http://coyotes.azvibe.com/2010/01/18...n-full-effect/
I agree that Eriksson isn't that bad but he is a veteran so I am harder on him....Lepisto is young and going to make costly mistakes at times. Remember Yandle his first full year? Yikes! My point is that I will not be as hard on the young guys unless they are just not learning from their mistakes.

ShootThePuckCoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Colt45Blast
Torres FTW

Quote:
I agree that Eriksson isn't that bad but he is a veteran so I am harder on him....Lepisto is young and going to make costly mistakes at times. Remember Yandle his first full year? Yikes! My point is that I will not be as hard on the young guys unless they are just not learning from their mistakes.
Even then its not like we can send Sami down to the AHL since he is filling in for Sauer otherwise he would have been a call up when in cases where other d-men or out.
Also I give SL mad props for filling the role of Sauer out nicely to where the team is still able to compete even after the 1st half of the season.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 04:39 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Look Pisto made the Finish Olympic team and he is young; no body, but no body was worse than Yandle was his rookie campaign. And I don't recall us bagging on him too much, we gave him a mulligan didn't we? Erickson is a serviceable 7th guy, likely much better than Chellios. Just saying..we have a defensive whipping boy every year.

Old
01-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Well you also have to factor in he was still getting into game shape and learning the system. Gotta give him some time for that adjustment just like Pyatt did earlier this season.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 07:02 PM
SniperHF
aufheben's Coyote

Eriksson isn't stellar but as a #7 he's good enough and I thought during the NJ game he intercepted a lot of key passes in the defensive zone. Could be worse.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 08:31 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

well it's OT but tonight (BUF) they all sucked and Erik-suck-erson wasn't even in the lineup

Old
01-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Coyotes Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
well it's OT but tonight (BUF) they all sucked and Erik-suck-erson wasn't even in the lineup
Sorry to say that Jovonoski and Z sucked the worst. Both played to a -5 tonight.

Can't pin tonights effort on Erikssuckerson (note the use of a double S) as he was a healthy scratch. But, seriously, I'm still not ready to say he is Halesque.

Lepisto, ironically, skated to a +2 tonight.

What does it all mean? Means this team better start to tighten up the D, and some actual goaltending would go along way to help too.

Coyotes Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote