HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobby Sanguinetti breaks AHL record For Fastest Lap

Old
01-18-2010, 10:53 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Sangs uses his wrister more often then his slapper anyway. His wrist shot has always been "his" shot. Quick release, low to the ground and accurate.
Just like his idol, whose slapper took a hit after the wrist injury in 1997.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:35 PM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

Send a message via AIM to captain9nyr
For those who think McDonagh will get the job over Sanguinetti next year, what would that say about Sanguinetti's status within the organization if the kid right out of college takes the spot over him?

Honestly, you're likely to see Girardi traded and Sanguinetti taking his spot. McDonagh's a good year or so away. Maybe 2011-2012.

captain9nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:42 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I know, just thought it was funny that he came in last. Not every dman is Al McInnis. I think players use the slapshot too much anyway. It's much more important to get the puck on net, especially on the PP.
Slappers is something that can be taught. I really don't get why teams don't have special skills coaches: slappers, faceoffs, etc. Would it really harm the team if it spent a million dollars on salaries for a half dozen special skills coaches?

I was really happy to read that Sangs skates so well, but it's disappointing to hear that his shot is so weak. What was it exactly?

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I think people saying Bobby Sangs should get traded will eat their words in a couple of years. The kid is going to be good and the extra seasoning in the AHL will help him in the long run.
Long-term I definitely think he'll be better than Gilroy. Hopefully he spends his summer practices his slapper.

Old
01-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Hmm... not sure about that. I just don't know if he will ever get a shot here. Next season he's going to be fighting for a spot against Heikkinen, McDonagh and probably Sauer. Unless there are two spots open I have a feeling McDonagh will win that spot
McD should start the preseason at the bottom of the pecking order of those four because he has no pro experience. Spending a full season in the AHL would benefit him long-term.

Rosie is could be traded. I wouldn't mind sending Sauer and Weise to a team willing to take Redden off our hands. A team that needs to run up their cap space may be willing to do that.

Old
01-18-2010, 11:56 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Did anyone watch on MSG? They moved the nets up over the crease to give the players a better angle on the end boards.... I don't really ever remember the NHL doing that in their skills competitions so hard to compare him to what Gartner did....

Also after he set the record they interviewed him real quick and he made a reference to Tortorella's training camp.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:57 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead94 View Post
For those who think McDonagh will get the job over Sanguinetti next year, what would that say about Sanguinetti's status within the organization if the kid right out of college takes the spot over him?

Honestly, you're likely to see Girardi traded and Sanguinetti taking his spot. McDonagh's a good year or so away. Maybe 2011-2012.
well whats it say this year that a 19 year old straight out of juniors made it instead of him this year?

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:24 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaboriik View Post
He Broke it with 13.667. Good Job Bobby!!

Maybe Torts will see this and bring you up for a couple games

He Said he won because the way torts trained him in training camp
wow! that's blazing fast. Surely Don Waddell will reconsider that Sanguinetti for Kovalchuk offer.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:24 AM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

I have a feeling that Sangs won't be on this team long-term.

McDonaghisGod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:26 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
well whats it say this year that a 19 year old straight out of juniors made it instead of him this year?
MDZ looks like a tremendous talent. McD is also a very good prospect, but if it's two prospects overstripping Sangs without any pro experience that means the organization isn't valuing him very highly.

I really want to see Pasta and Beer join the Rangers next year (for Rosie and Girardi, assuming Redden can't be traded), with McD waiting his turn in the AHL until the Rangers find a way to dump Redden.

Will the defense be young? Sure. But it will be talented and it's not as if we will be competing for the Cup anyway.

Old
01-19-2010, 12:34 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
I have a feeling that Sangs won't be on this team long-term.
That would be a mistake. I don't really see Gilroy as a competent power play blueliner for a Cup contender, at least not on the first unit.

We will need two above average offensive defensemen if we hope to win the Cup. One should be MDZ, and Sanger has a better shot than Gilroy to become the second one.

Old
01-19-2010, 01:10 AM
easton1099

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
I was really happy to read that Sangs skates so well, but it's disappointing to hear that his shot is so weak. What was it exactly?
They were 88+ and 89+, so not horribly slow. But he was just a few shooters after Blair Jones, who shot 99 and 100 mph. Bobby was laughingly hanging his head after his shots.

easton1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 02:10 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
McD should start the preseason at the bottom of the pecking order of those four because he has no pro experience. Spending a full season in the AHL would benefit him long-term.

Rosie is could be traded. I wouldn't mind sending Sauer and Weise to a team willing to take Redden off our hands. A team that needs to run up their cap space may be willing to do that.
Maybe, and I hope Sanguinetti pans out, but so far he has yet to impress me in even one game. I know that doesn't mean anything for the long-term, but right now we have so many defensive prospects that, unless some are traded, they will have to make a very good first impression to get a decent chance here. So far Sanguinetti hasn't been able to do that, and I'm afraid there will be even more pressure on him next season and we might see a younger player beat him out, just like what happened this season.

That is, of course, unless the team has a slew of injuries and Tortorella is able to get a good look at him

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 02:11 AM
Heat McManus

Sangs shouldn't have been in the Hardest Shot competition. They should have chosen Carlson. Kid's got a BOMB.

Sanguinetti has a quick hard release, but not a booming slap shot.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 03:35 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by easton1099 View Post
They were 88+ and 89+, so not horribly slow. But he was just a few shooters after Blair Jones, who shot 99 and 100 mph. Bobby was laughingly hanging his head after his shots.
High 80s isn't too bad. If he can get it up into the low-90s, it will be very solid.

Old
01-19-2010, 08:28 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
It says to me that Del Zotto is a tremendous, tremendous talent. The vast majority of players aren't capable of transitioning straight to the professional game right from junior hockey. You shouldn't try to rate prospects based on their progress relative to other high-end prospects. Sanguinetti may not be elite, but he's still a fine prospect. Most teams would find a spot for him...it's just that we have an incredible abundance of young defenseman coupled with veterans making huge money.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Slappers is something that can be taught. I really don't get why teams don't have special skills coaches: slappers, faceoffs, etc. Would it really harm the team if it spent a million dollars on salaries for a half dozen special skills coaches?
Yeah, I remember some comment that Sam or Joe made during a game about Kotalik and why his shot is so hard. They said Kotalik decided if he wanted to stay in the league and be a valuable player, he needed to do at least one thing really well, so he really worked hard on his arm strength and shot until it was as hard as it is.

You'd think that anyone could do something similar. Maybe it wouldn't result in a shot as hard as Kotalik's, but it could certainly improve a mediocre slapshot to a very good slapshot

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:05 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
It says nothing about Sanguinetti. It says a hell of a lot about Del Zotto.

01-19-2010, 10:10 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
It says to me that Del Zotto is a tremendous, tremendous talent. The vast majority of players aren't capable of transitioning straight to the professional game right from junior hockey. You shouldn't try to rate prospects based on their progress relative to other high-end prospects. Sanguinetti may not be elite, but he's still a fine prospect. Most teams would find a spot for him...it's just that we have an incredible abundance of young defenseman coupled with veterans making huge money.
Well said. People are spoiled by players like Staal and Del Zotto who make the jump straight from Juniors to the NHL. Those guys are the exception to the rule, not the norm.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:16 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Missing the biggest one - Nik Lidstrom
It's not his game, but I've seen Lidstrom fire some electric slapshots. The winning goal in the 2006 gold medal game comes to mind, although that wasn't really a point shot.

Last edited by xander: 01-19-2010 at 02:17 PM.
xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
It's not hist game, but I've seen Lidstrom fire some electric slapshots. The winning goal in the 2006 gold medal game comes to mind, although that wasn't really a point shot.
yeah, Lidstrom had an absolute rocket of a slap shot.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:42 PM
dank

anyone have the clip of the actual lap?

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:49 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

It's on the AHL Live site, check for the highlights tab on the right.

http://ahl.neulion.com/team/console.jsp

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 08:16 PM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
Pretty funny that Girardi scores with a wrister tonight after some of the discussion in this thread...

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote