HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Redden to minors?

Old
01-18-2010, 11:12 PM
clmetsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Sorry, but Higgins wasn't the prize. It was Gomez for Gaborik. I'm fine with that. Higgins and McD were extra pieces.
Bolded part is key there. Not only did we essentially trade Gomez for Gaborik, but we also got a really promising prospect in the deal. That was one of the most lopsided trades I've ever seen.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

This guy is barley a 5/6 D-man: He is very slow, cant pivot fast enough, cant hit, only shoots for deflections, never gets the puck through. His only attribute is his breakout pass. If Slats brings in another dman(souray) hopefully he will send Redden down, but i think its unlikely anything happens this year with him.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 07:27 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter17 View Post
Exactly. The Gomez/Higgins trade was to make room for a player who is actually worth 7.5 mil.
And I can see that you guys are like so much than you were before with Gaborik rather than Gomez.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 08:18 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
And I can see that you guys are like so much than you were before with Gaborik rather than Gomez.
Ah yes, the continuing trend. But in the minds of Ranger fans, we can only excite ourselves in so many ways of watching a goal scoring forward rather than watching Scott Gomez gain the blue line, dump it over on a drop pass, and try again! Though, last night I suppose we did have to see it again. Only for the better

Last edited by RMcDonagh: 01-19-2010 at 09:40 AM.
RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 08:41 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Ah yes, the continuing trend. But in the minds of Ranger fans, we can only excite ourselves in so many ways of watching a goal scoring forward rather than watching Scott Gomez gain the blue line, dump it over on a drop pass, and try again! Though, last night I supposed we did have to see it again. Only for the better
I so miss the patented Gomez soft shot to the goalie's chest, and the TO just inside the blueline that traps his teammates and sets up an odd man rush. And, oh for the days of turning the puck over right in front of his his goal on the breakout.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 08:47 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Redden isnt going anywhere until this summer at the earliest. Even though his contract is ridiculous and hes continuing to regress at a frightening rate, the guy is still an NHL defenseman...which is more than the organization can say for guys like Sanguinetti, Heikkenen, and Sauer at this point.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 08:54 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Redden isnt going anywhere until this summer at the earliest. Even though his contract is ridiculous and hes continuing to regress at a frightening rate, the guy is still an NHL defenseman...which is more than the organization can say for guys like Sanguinetti, Heikkenen, and Sauer at this point.
They may not have an internal replacement, but if you shed that contract, it shouldn't be too hard to find a serviceable third pairing guy. And that's all you need if you're replacing Redden at this point.

01-19-2010, 08:58 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

It says he signed in 2007. Nice fact-checking.

This isn't going to happen.....but I wonder if any other team has the annual discussion of which overpriced, underachieving moron might be sent to AHL. Why won't Dolan fire Sather? I hate this..

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:19 AM
pwoz

I say let's hope Redden just becomes a competent d-man. He's been better this year than last, and his contract is not his fault (same with Drury). If anything, Rozsival MIGHT move because his salary drops next year (yes I know, still 5m cap), but there might be a take. Redden showed some passion last game, and I'm hoping he continues it.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:37 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
I say let's hope Redden just becomes a competent d-man. He's been better this year than last, and his contract is not his fault (same with Drury). If anything, Rozsival MIGHT move because his salary drops next year (yes I know, still 5m cap), but there might be a take. Redden showed some passion last game, and I'm hoping he continues it.
He is what he is. At this point of his career and with the his trend downward, I can't see him getting any better. The fact is he's making a ton of money and playing the fewest minutes of any of the defenseman. Not a good combination.

And I'm not sure he's been better this year. The coach doesn't seem to think so.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:40 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I so miss the patented Gomez soft shot to the goalie's chest, and the TO just inside the blueline that traps his teammates and sets up an odd man rush. And, oh for the days of turning the puck over right in front of his his goal on the breakout.
Oh, me too jas!

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:51 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
They may not have an internal replacement, but if you shed that contract, it shouldn't be too hard to find a serviceable third pairing guy. And that's all you need if you're replacing Redden at this point.
Still not happening till summer. BRB is correct.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I agree, although ideally, Id love to see Redden's contract somehow shed then Kovalchuk become available July 1st. Clearing Redden's cap hit alone would make up 60-70 percent of what we'd have to pony up on a yearly basis. Then, with 2 elite offensive weapons for the first time in ages, trust the defensive corp you've been trying to build within since 2005.

Old
01-19-2010, 10:08 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
He is what he is. At this point of his career and with the his trend downward, I can't see him getting any better. The fact is he's making a ton of money and playing the fewest minutes of any of the defenseman. Not a good combination.

And I'm not sure he's been better this year. The coach doesn't seem to think so.
He only seems to be better. It's an illusion, he plays less so he isn't noticed as much. Less playing time in theory should equate to less mistakes.

His lack of offense is astounding, there isn't anything there.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 50
Quite honestly... who cares about the defense situation?

The defense is fine, I think we can trust that to hank. He needs offensive support, not more defensive support.

Having a bunch of kids play defense until they become better wouldn't really be a problem. Hank can pick up some of the slack until they develop. He can't pick up the slack of a crappy offense though, so that's where we need to build.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 11:16 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
IMO a huge part of him being "better" has been a huge reduction in his responsibilities and ice time. He's been marginally better in reality.

I kind of like Redden, but there's no getting around that contract. He has to go. And I'll keep saying it but I don't think there's any way you can bury him in Hartford for four years and not have it become an issue. And he's not going to go overseas to play another pro league, he's a north american born player with a family, kids...AND he's still good enough to play in the NHL, just not anywhere near being worth the money he's making for us. If we had him at $1.5mil a year or so I'd be completely fine with Redden.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 11:22 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
And I don't think it's a stretch to say Redden could end up being sent down to Hartford a day or two before the deadline if Sather needs the space. It's not going to be Voros, and Kotalik's under contract for three years and probably has some trade value, so I think Redden would be the best candidate. Unless he wants to send Gilroy down again.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

But IF he's sent down he's there to say... no way we risk hlf his pricetag on re-entry waivers

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:16 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
But IF he's sent down he's there to say... no way we risk hlf his pricetag on re-entry waivers
During the offseason he can come back up without going through waivers.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:18 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Anyone think Redden might refuse assignment and take a suspension? I have a hard time believing he's take that move sitting down.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Anyone think Redden might refuse assignment and take a suspension? I have a hard time believing he's take that move sitting down.
Does he get paid still?

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:23 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
Does he get paid still?
He wouldn't be paid. He'd lose about $3.2MM were the Rangers to suspend him for the season. From his perspective, it might force the Rangers' hand.

I have no idea how it would impact the cap (whether his number would count or not).

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:25 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI Ranger View Post
This guy is barley a 5/6 D-man: He is very slow, cant pivot fast enough, cant hit, only shoots for deflections, never gets the puck through. His only attribute is his breakout pass. If Slats brings in another dman(souray) hopefully he will send Redden down, but i think its unlikely anything happens this year with him.
C'on....the guy isn't that bad.

He is very slow? He might not be the fastest skater but he is RARELY caught flat footed and players rarely fly around him on the outside since he's a pretty decent positional player. Hell i see Girardi letting people fly around him more often then Redden.

The hate on this guy is unbelievable.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post

He is very slow? He might not be the fastest skater but he is RARELY caught flat footed and players rarely fly around him on the outside since he's a pretty decent positional player. Hell i see Girardi letting people fly around him more often then Redden.

Yes, he is. Its really his biggest problem and has been since the post-lockout era began.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that hes one of the slowest skaters in the NHL.

Old
01-19-2010, 12:29 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post

If Redden and Drury made what Girardi and Callahan do they would be hailed on here as gritty, sacrificing players who always put the team first.

But because they make 6.5 - 7 mil a year...they are no doubt just money grubbing wastes of flesh...

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote