HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ray Whitney to Pens Imminent (MOD EDIT: No, ESPN just wants you to pay them money)

Old
01-19-2010, 12:00 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
You want to think about what you would give up for him as a rental? Think about what you gave for Hossa.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:08 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlBum View Post
To Car:
2nd round
fedotenko

To Tor:
2nd round

To Pitt:
whitney
poni
Pittsburgh says yes

Toronto could say yes.

Carolina would definitely say no.

Whitney is worth a 2nd + by himself

Poni is worth a 2nd and maybe a later round pick.

Fedotenko is borderline worthless except to a team buying into him as a big time playoff performer. Carolina won't care about playoff performers since they're not even going to make the playoffs this year.

Also, I don't see the Pens going after 2 wingers. They'll go after 1.

To Carolina: 2nd + prospect or pick

To Pittsburgh: Whitney

Or

To Toronto: 2nd + A conditional later round pick.

To Pittsburgh: Poni

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 05:35 AM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
You want to think about what you would give up for him as a rental? Think about what you gave for Hossa.
I agree that Guerin isn't likely a good comparable, but neither is Hossa. Not only is Hossa a much better player than Whitney, he was a lot younger and there was always the possibility of him re-signing. Whitney is 37 and will be a solid pickup for any team, but he's not going to be in anybody's long term plans at that age. He's a very underrated player, but he's not on the same tier as a player like Hossa either.

I think a second rounder and a decent prospect gets it done, but he will probably be a hot commodity at the deadline so I wouldn't be surprised if he netted a late first rounder from a contender.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:12 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlBum View Post
To Car:
2nd round
fedotenko

To Tor:
2nd round

To Pitt:
whitney
poni
aside from everything else, the salary cap makes this trade impossible.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 08:23 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
The point here is, they should, but they don't.
True enough. I just don't know what kind of winger we can get with our cap space and with our assets. I guess if we end up with someone even slightly better than Bill Guerin and Fedotenko, that puts us ahead.

It's really quite heart breaking, our Powerplay. You look at Crosby in the 06/07 season, he had 59 even-strength points and 61 Powerplay points. This year he has 41 even-strength points (on pace for about 68) and only 14 powerplay points.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 08:37 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
True enough. I just don't know what kind of winger we can get with our cap space and with our assets. I guess if we end up with someone even slightly better than Bill Guerin and Fedotenko, that puts us ahead.

It's really quite heart breaking, our Powerplay. You look at Crosby in the 06/07 season, he had 59 even-strength points and 61 Powerplay points. This year he has 41 even-strength points (on pace for about 68) and only 14 powerplay points.
Whitney's salary is about the max we can add at the deadline w/o getting rid of someone, but is it worth giving up a 1st? I don't think this team can beat the Devils or Caps in the playoffs without massive improvements in their own end and on the PP like you said.

I'd hate to give up another 1st for a rental that IMO won't get us past those teams. If we don't get our game turned around I'd prefer to just hit the playoffs with what we have right now and make a trade in the offseason for a guy like Versteeg like Champagne Wishes proposed.

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:14 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Whitney's salary is about the max we can add at the deadline w/o getting rid of someone, but is it worth giving up a 1st? I don't think this team can beat the Devils or Caps in the playoffs without massive improvements in their own end and on the PP like you said.

I'd hate to give up another 1st for a rental that IMO won't get us past those teams. If we don't get our game turned around I'd prefer to just hit the playoffs with what we have right now and make a trade in the offseason for a guy like Versteeg like Champagne Wishes proposed.
We only gave up a 3rd for Guerin (could have been a 5th). I don't see why we can't work out a deal like this for Whitney as well.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:29 AM
Jag68Sid87

Because Whitney has more value. He is going to be part of a bidding war if he is moved. And even that may not be a given, since there was talk earlier this month about the 'Canes talking contract with Whitney.

Remember, Carolina (despite their place in the current standings) isn't one of those teams that's used to going with youth. They'd probably rather do what Philly did a few years ago, take this one-time high draft pick (they want Tyler Seguin, apparently, because of his ties to Karmanos's Plymouth Whalers) and then re-tool quickly.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Whitney situation doesn't go down to the wire, with Carolina attempting to re-sign him all the way to March 3.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Because Whitney has more value. He is going to be part of a bidding war if he is moved. And even that may not be a given, since there was talk earlier this month about the 'Canes talking contract with Whitney.

Remember, Carolina (despite their place in the current standings) isn't one of those teams that's used to going with youth. They'd probably rather do what Philly did a few years ago, take this one-time high draft pick (they want Tyler Seguin, apparently, because of his ties to Karmanos's Plymouth Whalers) and then re-tool quickly.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Whitney situation doesn't go down to the wire, with Carolina attempting to re-sign him all the way to March 3.
The alleged contract talks could be part of the whole bidding war process, though. Canes could just be saying that to drive his value up.

Anyway, I'm not sure he'd be a guy that teams are acquiring for beyond this season anyway, so I'd imagine he will likely go to a contender for a few months and then re-sign in Carolina after the season. Carolina could trade him for a decent pick & prospect and also by trading him make themselves worse down the stretch to help the tanking process and get the highest possible pick in the draft. He then re-signs with them after the season + they'll have around a top 5 pick in the draft + whatever prospects/picks they get for Whitney through trading him. The quick rebuild can be done that way too.

Remember when the Pens did this? Pens were horrible. They traded Mark Recchi and got even worse which helped them secure a top 2 pick in the draft and they got Jordan Staal. They took the 2nd they acquired for Recchi and traded it for nils ekman and then they re-signed Mark Recchi.

My fault, it was Nils Ekman, not Eaton, but still.

Last edited by Captain Hook: 01-19-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 10:13 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
The alleged contract talks could be part of the whole bidding war process, though. Canes could just be saying that to drive his value up.

Anyway, I'm not sure he'd be a guy that teams are acquiring for beyond this season anyway, so I'd imagine he will likely go to a contender for a few months and then re-sign in Carolina after the season. Carolina could trade him for a decent pick & prospect and also by trading him make themselves worse down the stretch to help the tanking process and get the highest possible pick in the draft. He then re-signs with them after the season + they'll have around a top 5 pick in the draft + whatever prospects/picks they get for Whitney through trading him. The quick rebuild can be done that way too.

Remember when the Pens did this? Pens were horrible. They traded Mark Recchi and got even worse which helped them secure a top 2 pick in the draft and they got Jordan Staal. They took the 2nd they acquired for Recchi and traded it for nils ekman and then they re-signed Mark Recchi.

My fault, it was Nils Ekman, not Eaton, but still.
Which is still the only really bad move I can remember Shero making.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Jag68Sid87

Yeah and don't forget the immortal Patrick Ehelechner.

Old
01-19-2010, 12:19 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Didn't we flip him for a pick, though?

Edit: No, we acquired him for a low-level pick, I think, since we had depleated our goaltending prospect pool.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
i like the mod edit for the thread title

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
Didn't we flip him for a pick, though?

Edit: No, we acquired him for a low-level pick, I think, since we had depleated our goaltending prospect pool.
I thought the deal was Ekman AND Ehelechner for the same pick?

Old
01-19-2010, 12:45 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
I thought the deal was Ekman AND Ehelechner for the same pick?
Was it? You very well might be right. Both were so inconsequential, that I forgot everything about them.

Old
01-19-2010, 12:54 PM
AgentM

Quote:
I think you're right. Wasn't there some sort of stipulation that we would owe the Sharks more if Ehelechner played in the AHL that season (he didn't)?

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Jag68Sid87

I found it...

San Jose Sharks traded Nils Ekman and Patrick Ehelechner to the Pittsburgh Penguins for a 2nd round selection in 2007.

Old
01-19-2010, 01:04 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
I found it...

San Jose Sharks traded Nils Ekman and Patrick Ehelechner to the Pittsburgh Penguins for a 2nd round selection in 2007.
Good sleuthing, Jags. I suppose I'd feel more strongly about it, but since our 2nds are forever cursed, I don't.

Old
01-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Jaded-Fan

Can someone define the word 'imminent' for me? My understanding of the definition seems to be entirely wrong.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Can someone define the word 'imminent' for me? My understanding of the definition seems to be entirely wrong.
It means "soon" in that "chill dude, have another cold one, hang loose, brah...it'll happen eventually" kind of way.

Old
01-19-2010, 01:46 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
It means "soon" in that "chill dude, have another cold one, hang loose, brah...it'll happen eventually" kind of way.
So, a synonym for "never"?

Old
01-19-2010, 02:06 PM
jdpitt05

This thread teased me with that exciting feeling of deadline day. I can't wait. People spend 364 days a year thinking up trade scenarios and this 1 day that environment actually comes to life.

jdpitt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 05:05 PM
Hail Stannis

Wait a minute. Are you saying ESPN reports on hockey?

Hail Stannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 10:20 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLahey89 View Post
Wait a minute. Are you saying ESPN reports on hockey?
I wouldn't call it reporting...

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote