HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline - All proposals and speculation here.

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2010, 10:07 AM
oceanchild

vCash: 500
Trade Deadline - All proposals and speculation here.

With columbus currently in 14th place in the western conference 10 points out of a playoff spot and the wings and ducks sitting between then and that spot would they be willing to trade this wreaking ball to the canucks? Torres currently has 16 goals and 9 assists for 25 points but in my mind more importantly has the nasty streak the canucks are missing. I think he would look great on the third line with bernier and maybe Demo instead of wellwood giving us more offense from that line. (actually thinking about it Torres Kesler Bernier would be a great line but Keslers line would be hard to break up). anyhow how much would it take and would he be a good deadline grab for this team. his contract is for 2.25 and he is UFA at the end of the season (would love to see him resigned).

thoughts?

Old
01-19-2010, 10:10 AM
BrockH
HFBoards Sponsor

I've always liked Torres as a player, he played great during Edmonton's SCF run if I remember right. There's still the issue of him being a winger though, where what we could really use is a center (so as not to force Demitra into a position he's less comfortable with). Still though, if the price was right I could think of worse moves.

Old
01-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Ajackalit

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanchild View Post
With columbus currently in 14th place in the western conference 10 points out of a playoff spot and the wings and ducks sitting between then and that spot would they be willing to trade this wreaking ball to the canucks? Torres currently has 16 goals and 9 assists for 25 points but in my mind more importantly has the nasty streak the canucks are missing. I think he would look great on the third line with bernier and maybe Demo instead of wellwood giving us more offense from that line. (actually thinking about it Torres Kesler Bernier would be a great line but Keslers line would be hard to break up). anyhow how much would it take and would he be a good deadline grab for this team. his contract is for 2.25 and he is UFA at the end of the season (would love to see him resigned).

thoughts?
I like Torres; he’d be a nice addition to our bottom 6. I wonder if it would be possible to pick up Phalsson and Torres for a package of Bernier and Johnson (maybe Hansen too). Quality of our bottom 6 goes up significantly….though at a cost. Phalsson is signed to a term slightly longer than I would like (through the end of next season instead of 11/12 would be ideal IMO), but he’s exactly what we need somewhere in our bottom 6. The addition of Phalsson also allows Gillis some time to ease Hodgson into the NHL via the AHL……because it’s a stretch to assume he’ll be ready next year.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Raymond Kesler Samuelsson
Torres Phalsson Demitra
Glass Wellwood Rypien
Hordichuk

Old
01-19-2010, 11:08 AM
BrockH
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMFRoyal View Post
I like Torres; he’d be a nice addition to our bottom 6. I wonder if it would be possible to pick up Phalsson and Torres for a package of Bernier and Johnson (maybe Hansen too). Quality of our bottom 6 goes up significantly….though at a cost. Phalsson is signed to a term slightly longer than I would like (through the end of next season instead of 11/12 would be ideal IMO), but he’s exactly what we need somewhere in our bottom 6. The addition of Phalsson also allows Gillis some time to ease Hodgson into the NHL via the AHL……because it’s a stretch to assume he’ll be ready next year.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Torres Phalsson Demitra
Glass Wellwood Rypien
Hordichuk
For the love of god man, it's Pahlsson. Aside from that though, I agree with you (also assuming you meant shorter when you said longer).

Old
01-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Karl Hungus

Quote:

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Torres Phalsson Demitra
Glass Wellwood Rypien
Hordichuk
I wouldn't get rid of Bernier and replace him with Torres. RT often has a tendency to float through games. Replacing Welwood with Pahlsson would look good but not at the expense of Bernier who's our best and most consistent bottom six player.

Old
01-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Ajackalit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockH View Post
For the love of god man, it's Pahlsson. Aside from that though, I agree with you (also assuming you meant shorter when you said longer).
no, i meant longer. I think Hodgson will probably be ready for the 11/12 season...at which time Phalsson may be redundant

Old
01-19-2010, 11:31 AM
BrockH
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
no, i meant longer. I think Hodgson will probably be ready for the 11/12 season...at which time Phalsson may be redundant
Ah, yeah, I fail at reading comprehension. Misread the part in brackets as you saying he was signed through the end of next season, but 2011/12 would be ideal.

Old
01-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Ajackalit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
I wouldn't get rid of Bernier and replace him with Torres. RT often has a tendency to float through games. Replacing Welwood with Pahlsson would look good but not at the expense of Bernier who's our best and most consistent bottom six player.
Really? I don’t agree with that at all. We’ve all seen a lot of Torres over the years and he’s always seemed like a high energy guy to me. Hits hard and is pretty good at it…Bernier IMO is not a great hitter….unless you give credit for the damage he does to the boards right beside the player he is actually trying to hit. Torres has better hands too…..IMO.

Old
01-19-2010, 11:43 AM
oceanchild

Quote:
Really? I don’t agree with that at all. We’ve all seen a lot of Torres over the years and he’s always seemed like a high energy guy to me. Hits hard and is pretty good at it…Bernier IMO is not a great hitter….unless you give credit for the damage he does to the boards right beside the player he is actually trying to hit. Torres has better hands too…..IMO.
i think bernier is missing a nasty streak but phalsson bernier and torres would be a great 3rd line the problem then is either demo becomes redundant. Im not sure we would fit anywhere as raymond and kesler are not moving from the second line and samullson is getting paid way tomuch for 4th line duty and has put up decent numbers.

Old
01-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
If Torres still has that nasty edge he had in Edmonton, I'd love him here. I heard he mellowed out in Columbus, though. Dunno if that's accurate or not.

Old
01-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Karl Hungus

Quote:
This is exactly the problem I see with Torres. He's not a bad skater for his size, he has a mean streak and has good enough hands to be a top six player but he only puts it all together once in a while. I think his biggest problem has been inconsistency. For all Bernier's shortcomings you pretty much know what you'll get from him each night.

Old
01-19-2010, 01:00 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
A pretty much zero sum addition in terms of this teams physicality will not be sufficient.

I can't see Torres being traded out of Columbus, he is all they have to show for the Brule trade.

That said, I wouldn't mind him on our second line. He has the speed to keep up with Kesler and Raymond and could provide a bit of space and forecheck for them.

Old
01-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Ajackalit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
A pretty much zero sum addition in terms of this teams physicality will not be sufficient.

I can't see Torres being traded out of Columbus, he is all they have to show for the Brule trade.

That said, I wouldn't mind him on our second line. He has the speed to keep up with Kesler and Raymond and could provide a bit of space and forecheck for them.
Really? Johnson adds little when it comes to physical play....so really you're adding two very physical guys in Pahlsson and Torres and only losing Bernier. Seems to me that is a pretty big increase overall.

Old
01-19-2010, 01:59 PM
topheavyhookjaw

Quote:

I think its a substantial physical gain if the lineup ends up like this in the bottom six

Torres-Pahlsson-Demitra
Glass-Rypien-Hordichuk

You're right Bernier/Torres makes no difference, but Pahlsson over Wellwood would be right up your alley I would have thought?

Old
01-19-2010, 02:09 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by topheavyhookjaw View Post
I think its a substantial physical gain if the lineup ends up like this in the bottom six

Torres-Pahlsson-Demitra
Glass-Rypien-Hordichuk

You're right Bernier/Torres makes no difference, but Pahlsson over Wellwood would be right up your alley I would have thought?
Well, its not a bad trade. I have a couple problems with it, first it slots Rypien in as our fourth line center, which I dont like. Secondly Pahlsson's contract is a bit of a concern, as injuries have slowed him down.

I'd consider it a slight upgrade.

Old
01-19-2010, 02:18 PM
AlbertaNucksFan

I can't. I just can't do it. I hate him so much

Old
01-19-2010, 02:21 PM
topheavyhookjaw

Quote:
Well, its not a bad trade. I have a couple problems with it, first it slots Rypien in as our fourth line center, which I dont like. Secondly Pahlsson's contract is a bit of a concern, as injuries have slowed him down.

I agree with both those points. Torres isn't the ideal guy there, the ideal pickup is another center. If it's a winger I'd much prefer to see a guy (I know you'll agree with me here) like Colby Armstrong, to slot in either with Kesler/Raymond or with Wellwood/Bernier.

Old
01-19-2010, 02:26 PM
CanmoreMike

As an Oilers fan I can say Raffi is a hit or miss guy. Unfortunately the last few seasons here he was more miss than hit. But when his game is on - look out.

If I'm not mistaken you are offering a mulit-year/RFA deal (Bernier) for a final year deal (Torres). So if RT doesn't pan out you can at least be happy you rid yourself of someone a lot of you have shared a displeasure for. I'd do it. Torres was nails in the '04 drive to the playoffs and the '06 playoffs. He really hasn't played any meaningful hockey in years.

Old
01-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Ajackalit

Quote:

Couple things.

In the last 6 seasons, Pahlsson has only missed 48 games….26 to sports hernia (2007/8), 3 so far this season due to an elbow injury and 19 games due to illness (mono) last year. IMO, none of those issues are likely to slow a player down post recovery. I’m not crazy about the term left on Pahlsson’s deal either, though it’s a price I’d be willing to pay considering Hodgson may not be ready to play in the NHL for another 2 years.

Rypien would not be the 4th line centre…..I had Wellwood in that slot. Say what you will about Wellwood, but he isn’t a defensive liability, does a great job supporting the D during break out, can play on the PP and in a scoring role when necessary. Not a bad option for 4th line centre IMO....

Old
01-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Fork

nope, too ugly

Old
01-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Pascha

I find it hard to believe that the Jackets give up Torres after giving up Gilbert Brule to get him.

Old
01-19-2010, 04:41 PM
CanmoreMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascha View Post
I find it hard to believe that the Jackets give up Torres after giving up Gilbert Brule to get him.
Torres is on pace for another 25-30 goal season. You are right - no reason to dump him based on what Columbus gave up and his play this year.

But when you factor in that the team is up to its eyeballs in debt, bottom five in the league, and it will need to resign Torres who will be a UFA makes it quite conceivable that a deal will happen.

As for Brule - he was going nowhere in that organization; same with Raffi in Edmonton. A change was needed for both players and both teams.

Old
01-19-2010, 06:06 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I'd like Torres in Vancouver... a perfect fit for that 3rd line - basically Glass with better hands more or less.

it all depends on what it costs to get him, and given his rebound season (in a contract year no less), I doubt that he'll come cheap even as a rental.... and it's not like the Canucks have a lot of tradeable assets (for rentals). If you have to choose, I'd rather use those assets to improve the center position, but Torres is a guy who'd look great on the 3rd line left wing IMO.

Pahlsson I'm not as high on anymore, given his new contract... a $2.65mill/yr cap hit for 2 more seasons to fill a 3rd line center spot, when we have Hodgson coming in next year (hopefully) doesn't seem to add up. The Canucks just don't have that kind of flexibility IMO to pay that much for a 3rd line center over the next 2 yrs.

dream additions though, if we can get Torres for Hansen/Ellington type deal, while grabbing Belanger for Shirokov type deal, would give a 3rd line I'd love to go into the playoffs with:

Torres-Belanger-Bernier

unfortunately our 3rd line going into the playoffs will probably be Demitra-Wellwood-Bernier

Old
01-19-2010, 06:11 PM
oceanchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I'd like Torres in Vancouver... a perfect fit for that 3rd line - basically Glass with better hands more or less.

it all depends on what it costs to get him, and given his rebound season (in a contract year no less), I doubt that he'll come cheap even as a rental.... and it's not like the Canucks have a lot of tradeable assets (for rentals). If you have to choose, I'd rather use those assets to improve the center position, but Torres is a guy who'd look great on the 3rd line left wing IMO.

Pahlsson I'm not as high on anymore, given his new contract... a $2.65mill/yr cap hit for 2 more seasons to fill a 3rd line center spot, when we have Hodgson coming in next year (hopefully) doesn't seem to add up. The Canucks just don't have that kind of flexibility IMO to pay that much for a 3rd line center over the next 2 yrs.

dream additions though, if we can get Torres for Hansen/Ellington type deal, while grabbing Belanger for Shirokov type deal, would give a 3rd line I'd love to go into the playoffs with:

Torres-Belanger-Bernier

unfortunately our 3rd line going into the playoffs will probably be Demitra-Wellwood-Bernier
Ilike both those trades and also think there are a few centers out there that might be available but if both these trades did happen what then do we do with demo? clearly he isnt a fourth liner do you trade him and if you trade him can he fetch enough to get that third line center? also him and kesler where good together last year (with sundin) do you give him a chance there first or go with samullson. I think raffi could be had for a 3rd but no more then a second.

Old
01-19-2010, 06:16 PM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
I hate Torres. Dunno why.

Closed Thread