HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Richards vs Media Confrontation:

Old
01-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Cleary84

vCash: 500
What exactly does Captaingate mean?

And the ******* is definitely Carchidi right?

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleary84 View Post
What exactly does Captaingate mean?

And the ******* is definitely Carchidi right?
Probably a reference to Watergate, but it makes no sense at all other than being a controversy. Dumb use.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Probably a reference to Watergate, but it makes no sense at all other than being a controversy. Dumb use.
Of course, most uncreative folks refer to a controversy as something-gate

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 10:16 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I just posted this:

"They're doing their jobs, so go play hockey."

The reporters job in a post game press conference is to talk about the game that just happened, not try and repair their own egos because a hockey player has problems with their reporting.

"Captaingate" and "Captain Whine" is not journalism, it's junior high bickering

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 01:07 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Look, we all know that I'm the ***** here on the drinking and etc.

But the Philadelphia hockey media is a goddamned joke, good job to Richie putting some of those retards in their place, I would pay tons of money to see him whale on Panaccio and Carchidi.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
they had as country club atmosphere and they allowed themselves to not want to work hard. A new coach comes and wants them to work hard. They are not in shape to meet those requirements. So whos fault is that? Maybe the captian should have stayed on the ice after practice and maybe his teammates would have followed him and put in the extra effort. He ahd to have known they wer ejust cruising along.Yes it will take some adjusting to a new coach but being out of shape is no excuse. If you dont understand the x and o's i can understand. Being out of shape is sad in this day and age for an athlete. It is not just richards either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
While I don't disagree that the atmosphere was much more lackadaisical with Stevens at the helm, where does that responsibility lie?
Enough has been said to debate this, but whose fault is the "country club" atmosphere?? I believe you agree CG in that this should fall on Stevens and even Homer. Blaming Richards just cause he wears a C on his jersey is ridiculous. He is 24 year old. While I know there are some younger posters on here, he is essentially a kid. Those of us that are 24 or older, think about being put in the media spotlight at that age and having all that pressure on you and not really having any privacy? I know when I was 24 I wasnt mature enough to handle all this....And I certainly know that if someone wasnt holding me accountable I would do whatever I wanted.

Stevens and Holmgren are the ones to blame for this atmosphere. The "culture" is THEIR responsibility. If they were holding players accountable and they werent listening than they had no respect for these guys as leaders which is BAD and is a reflection of Stevens and Holmgren. If they WERENT holding these guys accountable, than it is equally their fault.

Its is going to take probably the rest of this season for them to truly adjust to Laviolette, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
You'd be surprised at just how often that type of scenario is the case.

Welcome to the wonderful world of professional sports journalism.
Quote:
It's been one of life's greatest mysteries to me too.
While I understand somewhat from friends that the writing industry is tough (especially in this age of technology) and is similar to the music industry in just how much talent goes unnoticed, is it really any different than any industry or profession???

In my opinion, a person's success in "climbing the ladder" is 30% talent level.....The rest is divided up between luck and politics.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 01:14 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 0
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Anyone that reads Sam Carchidi knows he's pretty much an idiot, and Tim Panccio is pretty much a joke.

The only decent writers are Wayne Fish and sometimes Chuck Gormley.

edit: Almost forgot about Bill Meltzer. He is the best. By far.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Anyone that reads Sam Carchidi knows he's pretty much an idiot, and Tim Panccio is pretty much a joke.

The only decent writers are Wayne Fish and sometimes Chuck Gormley.

edit: Almost forgot about Bill Meltzer. He is the best. By far.
Eh, those two embarrass themselves on a regular basis as well...for starters, Gormley has absolutely no clue how the new CBA works at last check.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 01:42 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
I read the puckdaddy article last night on this at yahoo.
I am shocked he sided with the media on this. really I am.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Enough has been said to debate this, but whose fault is the "country club" atmosphere?? I believe you agree CG in that this should fall on Stevens and even Homer. Blaming Richards just cause he wears a C on his jersey is ridiculous. He is 24 year old. While I know there are some younger posters on here, he is essentially a kid. Those of us that are 24 or older, think about being put in the media spotlight at that age and having all that pressure on you and not really having any privacy? I know when I was 24 I wasnt mature enough to handle all this....And I certainly know that if someone wasnt holding me accountable I would do whatever I wanted.
Well being exactly 24, I can say I like to party it up. I, however, have a full-time job and don't let drinking get in the way of that. That's not saying I haven't showed up to work hung over before, but it's a rarity. Now let's say somebody came up to me this afternoon, wanted to give me a couple million dollars a year to show up and do my job, I'll do whatever the hell they want. Doesn't mean I won't drink anymore, but I certainly wouldn't let it get in the way of my job performance. Now while I say this, I can certainly see the point where they are young single millionaires, and can get any girl at the drop of a hat, but I, myself would never put myself in a position to get a bad rep with my job or my name.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 02:19 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
Well being exactly 24, I can say I like to party it up. I, however, have a full-time job and don't let drinking get in the way of that. That's not saying I haven't showed up to work hung over before, but it's a rarity. Now let's say somebody came up to me this afternoon, wanted to give me a couple million dollars a year to show up and do my job, I'll do whatever the hell they want. Doesn't mean I won't drink anymore, but I certainly wouldn't let it get in the way of my job performance. Now while I say this, I can certainly see the point where they are young single millionaires, and can get any girl at the drop of a hat, but I, myself would never put myself in a position to get a bad rep with my job or my name.
I do agree with you to a point Kambo, but I know I'd be pissed if someone took a picture of me out at a bar on a Saturday night and then used it as ammunition to hint that I'm not doing my job well Monday to Friday. Yes, I was out having fun. But it had nothing to do with how I'm doing my job or how successful my department or company is, and it certainly doesn't affect my ability to do my job well.

And I'd really be pissed if someone was using those same pictures 2 years from now to try to discredit my ability to do my job.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 02:41 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 0
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I show up to my job hungover every other day. Although I make almost no money.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Kambo

Quote:
I do agree with you to a point Kambo, but I know I'd be pissed if someone took a picture of me out at a bar on a Saturday night and then used it as ammunition to hint that I'm not doing my job well Monday to Friday. Yes, I was out having fun. But it had nothing to do with how I'm doing my job or how successful my department or company is, and it certainly doesn't affect my ability to do my job well.

And I'd really be pissed if someone was using those same pictures 2 years from now to try to discredit my ability to do my job.
Oh no doubt I would be pissed as well.

Now, I've brought this up before in another thread, but I think it's merely a fact of trying to be slightly more discreet. You know that going into Olde City is like walking into a war zone as far as the media, and overcrowded bars. There are hundreds of other bars in Philly alone, plus some in Jersey. So how about instead of constantly going to the same bars, you move around. You're most likely going to dodge the reporters that stay in one area looking for you, and there's bound to be swarms of drunk skanks regardless of where you go in Philly. Now I'm not saying no one's gonna get a picture of you on their phone, but if you stay away from the more crowded parts of the city and stop taking posed photos with bottles of alcohol in your hand, there will be less and less getting posted on the internets.

I just think it's baffling to me, that on any given night in Olde City, and it's happened several times, that I'll be walking down Market, and walk right by a group of drunken Flyers players. But never have I even seen a player from any other team anywhere in the city. Not even the younger players.

Old
01-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Eh, those two embarrass themselves on a regular basis as well...for starters, Gormley has absolutely no clue how the new CBA works at last check.
In 2003 or 04, before the lockout, Gormley actually wrote a Sunday column that suggested the Flyers could trade Eric Desjardins and Chris Therien to Edmonton for a young Eric Brewer. The Oilers, who were bleeding cash at the time, would have traded one of their brightest young defensemen for two big salaries, and the Flyers a contender, would have traded 2 vets for a rookie or second year guy.

That pretty much killed Gormley for me.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 03:36 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
In 2003 or 04, before the lockout, Gormley actually wrote a Sunday column that suggested the Flyers could trade Eric Desjardins and Chris Therien to Edmonton for a young Eric Brewer. The Oilers, who were bleeding cash at the time, would have traded one of their brightest young defensemen for two big salaries, and the Flyers a contender, would have traded 2 vets for a rookie or second year guy.

That pretty much killed Gormley for me.
I just don't have time for any of these guys that prove they understand less about what is going on than the average fan on here.

If you want to see something real fun, go find the thread on here when we signed Laperierre and Holmgren was up there BSing about how he was going to help with faceoffs (he has taken 60 draws and won 43.33% of 'em). ASF passed along that little tidbit verbatim and when he got called on it he responded with just unbelievably ignorant BS about Lappy's faceoff skills.

I don't ask for too much from these guys...I'm not expecting pulitzer-level stuff. But the least they can do is understand how the league's contracts work, and take the time to pull up statistics to see if the GM is selling you a bucket full of **** about a signing. It doesn't take a savant to figure this stuff out...and if a NFL writer was as careless and useless as these guys on this stuff, they would be fired.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 03:40 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
I just think it's baffling to me, that on any given night in Olde City, and it's happened several times, that I'll be walking down Market, and walk right by a group of drunken Flyers players. But never have I even seen a player from any other team anywhere in the city. Not even the younger players.
Kambo, you make some good points. The players could go elsewhere if they wanted to go out. Particularly when they know the media is waiting for new crap to print.

On the other hand, why do you go to Olde City (I'm not trying to pick on you, but I am playing devils advocate)? I'm guessing that there are good bars there and it's a fun place to hang out? (I have no idea - that's a legit question). So if there are a bunch of good bars, and the players aren't doing anything wrong, why shouldn't they be able to go out to a good bar and have fun on a night off?

I'd definitely have a problem with it if they were at the bar when they should be playing or practicing. But after a game or on a night where they don't have a game, and they don't have a 1:00 pm game the next day, I don't see a problem with them being out.

I don't know that visiting teams stay in town long enough after a game to go out, or what the schedule might be. We don't hear about the young Flyers out carousing when they're on the road, so perhaps that's universal?

Old
01-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I just don't have time for any of these guys that prove they understand less about what is going on than the average fan on here.

If you want to see something real fun, go find the thread on here when we signed Laperierre and Holmgren was up there BSing about how he was going to help with faceoffs (he has taken 60 draws and won 43.33% of 'em). ASF passed along that little tidbit verbatim and when he got called on it he responded with just unbelievably ignorant BS about Lappy's faceoff skills.

I don't ask for too much from these guys...I'm not expecting pulitzer-level stuff. But the least they can do is understand how the league's contracts work, and take the time to pull up statistics to see if the GM is selling you a bucket full of **** about a signing. It doesn't take a savant to figure this stuff out...and if a NFL writer was as careless and useless as these guys on this stuff, they would be fired.
Bill Meltzer is the best and it is a sad commentary on the state of the Philly media that he isn't at the forefront of hockey journalism in the area. I hate to say it, but even the idiot Eklund has a better hockey mind than just about anyone on 610 or the local beat guys from the papers... and he isn't exactly good.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:

To play devil's advocate, what if you weren't doing your job correctly while at the same time you earned a reputation of someone who spends a lot of time partying? Don't you think that creates an appearance that your personal life may be impacting your professional life? What if your boss acknowledges he had to talk to you about it? Then the new head of your department makes references to being disciplined in your personal life. You then ultimately end up going on record admitting you weren't in shape to do your job. Is it still unfair for people to speculate?

There is nothing wrong with having fun in your down time. Having certainly doesn't mean you can't do your job correctly, but if you aren't doing your job correctly then people begin to wonder if you are spending a little too much time having fun and not enough focusing on your professional life.

I can understand how frustrating it is from the player's perspective, but the team has been underachieving largely because the players that are known for their partying aren't playing up to their capabilities. These are also the same players who seemingly had the attitude that they can just flip the switch on whenever they liked as we so often heard from the veterans last season. On top of that, there's been just enough mentioned by the GM, coach, and even Richards himself to lead people to the conclusion that it was an issue. An issue that didn't appear to end with Holmgren's talk last summer considering the comments about discipline in their personal lives and them being out of shape are fairly recent.

I'm certainly in the minority, but I don't think the media has been unfair here.

On a side note, I agree with mikedifr that this atmosphere was created by Stevens and Holmgren.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 03:53 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Bill Meltzer is the best and it is a sad commentary on the state of the Philly media that he isn't at the forefront of hockey journalism in the area. I hate to say it, but even the idiot Eklund has a better hockey mind than just about anyone on 610 or the local beat guys from the papers... and he isn't exactly good.
The sad thing is that I could probably write just as well as Bill Meltzer. The guy reports the facts and doesnt write dumb **** like some of the other hockey writers. He looks better by comparison. (Not to knock his talent, I enjoy reading his columns because they are factual)

Seriously, if you wanted to be a hockey writer for the Flyers, all you need to do is read HF to get an idea of what the fans think, have a modicum of sense, and get free passes to Flyers practice. With all that, you could probably write good, coherent, informative hockey articles.

I feel like some of our lineup discussions are more detailed and interesting then anything Timmey-P has ever written, haha.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

From Timmay's blog:
Quote:
R.J. Umberger is looking good. He had a great line as he greeted me.

"Panotch, Mike Richards just text me and said not to talk to you," Umberger said as we all laughed aloud.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 04:07 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
To play devil's advocate, what if you weren't doing your job correctly while at the same time you earned a reputation of someone who spends a lot of time partying? Don't you think that creates an appearance that your personal life may be impacting your professional life? What if your boss acknowledges he had to talk to you about it? Then the new head of your department makes references to being disciplined in your personal life. You then ultimately end up going on record admitting you weren't in shape to do your job. Is it still unfair for people to speculate?
Good questions, and if it had played out like that, I'd be agreeing with you.

When most of those pictures hit the internet, the team was in the midst of and then coming off of a run to the ECF. Are we to surmise that hanging out and partying helped the team gel, play as a team, and be successful?

We've all seen pictures of a lot of young NHLers drinking, drunk, smoking, etc., and yet because some crap writer in Philadelphia can't come up with anything better to print, Richards can't do his job because he's partying too much.

Could Richie have handled the situation with Carchidi far better than he did? Absolutely. But it sounds as though no answer was going to suffice for Carchidi this time around.

Old
01-19-2010, 04:11 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Eklund does know the game but he's carved out this weird gossip columnist niche for himself with his site. Shame really.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

The media really pisses me off. It seems the philly media have no stories to run so they are causing their own chaos. After all, whats better than getting someone riled up and posting thier face all over the papers. Mike needs to be sensible here and just ignore the guy. Go to post match interviews, and answer everyones questions but his. Lets see him write a story about that

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Kambo

Quote:
On the other hand, why do you go to Olde City (I'm not trying to pick on you, but I am playing devils advocate)? I'm guessing that there are good bars there and it's a fun place to hang out? (I have no idea - that's a legit question). So if there are a bunch of good bars, and the players aren't doing anything wrong, why shouldn't they be able to go out to a good bar and have fun on a night off?

I'd definitely have a problem with it if they were at the bar when they should be playing or practicing. But after a game or on a night where they don't have a game, and they don't have a 1:00 pm game the next day, I don't see a problem with them being out.
I primarily go to Olde City for one bar, as the rest of them are the clubby, overcrowded not-my-type kind of bars. Or if for any other reason, I end up going into one of the other said bars, it's because my friends like to torture me and go out for their birthdays there. I have a better time in dive bars then at these places. And as far as the time frames, I agree with you, but again, more then once I have seen them out while fully knowing they'd be having practice the next day.

Quote:
I don't know that visiting teams stay in town long enough after a game to go out, or what the schedule might be. We don't hear about the young Flyers out carousing when they're on the road, so perhaps that's universal?
Two seasons ago, I most definitely saw the same bus the Penguins drove out of the stadium with, at Cheerleaders about an hour later when I was going to Tony Lukes. Me and my buddy that had gone to the game with me, had a good laugh at that. I was almost tempted to go in and see if Crosby was there, or if they dropped him at The Cave beforehand.

Old
01-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Kambo

Quote:
Good questions, and if it had played out like that, I'd be agreeing with you.

When most of those pictures hit the internet, the team was in the midst of and then coming off of a run to the ECF. Are we to surmise that hanging out and partying helped the team gel, play as a team, and be successful?

We've all seen pictures of a lot of young NHLers drinking, drunk, smoking, etc., and yet because some crap writer in Philadelphia can't come up with anything better to print, Richards can't do his job because he's partying too much.

Could Richie have handled the situation with Carchidi far better than he did? Absolutely. But it sounds as though no answer was going to suffice for Carchidi this time around.
I'm not trying to say in the least bit that I'm siding with the media. They're all douchers who, like you said, can't find anything else to write about. I'm just trying to argue the point that they could be slightly more careful when they go out.

Old
01-19-2010, 04:22 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
I primarily go to Olde City for one bar, as the rest of them are the clubby, overcrowded not-my-type kind of bars. Or if for any other reason, I end up going into one of the other said bars, it's because my friends like to torture me and go out for their birthdays there. I have a better time in dive bars then at these places. And as far as the time frames, I agree with you, but again, more then once I have seen them out while fully knowing they'd be having practice the next day.
Thanks Kambo - I wasn't sure what type of bars are there (doesn't sound like kind of bars either).

Quote:
I'm not trying to say in the least bit that I'm siding with the media. They're all douchers who, like you said, can't find anything else to write about. I'm just trying to argue the point that they could be slightly more careful when they go out.
I agree completely. They could be smarter about where and when they go out. While I think the whole thing has been overblown, they're not helping the situation (although I haven't seen any new pics around for at least a year, so maybe they have figured it out).