HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Hockeybuzz Bloggers - Kings Rumors III

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2010, 07:12 PM
santiclaws

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frolovfan View Post
Who in the heck is Eric Duhatchek?
Duhatschek is pretty well respected. I am far from convinced that this would be a good move. That said, I will not be able to stop myself from being damn excited if it happens. It has been a long time since the Kings have had a player who can make you edge forward in your seat every time he is on the ice.

Edit: There's an "s" in Duhatschek.

Last edited by santiclaws: 01-18-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old
01-18-2010, 07:19 PM
palffytofrovlov

Which 2 players???? probably a 1st in 2010 and a 1st in 2011? That still leaves us with 2 2nd rounders and 3 3rd rounders for this years draft... so we could still move up....

Old
01-18-2010, 07:21 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Soooo it will be Frolov, Drewiske, '10 1st, '11 1st.

Then at the draft Dean will move one of the 2nds, a 3rd and Zatkoff for another 1st

Old
01-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

vCash: 1840
For those who question the validity of these Kovy rumors, ask yourself this one question. Why hasn't Hammond simply asked DL whether he's had communication with Kovy and/or his representatives?

Sure there was the recent statement from DL that he wasn't in ATL but that doesn't mean that they didn't meet at a neutral site or even at ATL's practice arena which isn't in ATL.

Like I said, you just simply have to read between the lines. All Hammond has to do is to flat out ask DL whether he's talk to Kovy or not but that question has never come up oddly enough.

I say the deal will happen. Just waiting to see who is going to ATL and when.

Old
01-18-2010, 07:27 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Soooo it will be Frolov, Drewiske, '10 1st, '11 1st.

Then at the draft Dean will move one of the 2nds, a 3rd and Zatkoff for another 1st

if i'm not mistaken, Lupul was under contract. so again, i'd doubt it would be Frolov.

and Sbisa... well that wouldn't be Davis Drewiske. that's more like a Thomas Hickey or Colten Teubert.

so, ARE the Kings finally at the point where Dean can trade a first rounder? will he be willing to move two on a player he might be able to sign?

first you gotta find out which teams have two first rounders this summer. i know Anaheim is one... and you are not going to get very many teams, especially your rivals to deal out of the first round for a 2nd, 3rd and a goaltending prospect.

Old
01-18-2010, 07:29 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
For those who question the validity of these Kovy rumors, ask yourself this one question. Why hasn't Hammond simply asked DL whether he's had communication with Kovy and/or his representatives?

Sure there was the recent statement from DL that he wasn't in ATL but that doesn't mean that they didn't meet at a neutral site or even at ATL's practice arena which isn't in ATL.

Like I said, you just simply have to read between the lines. All Hammond has to do is to flat out ask DL whether he's talk to Kovy or not but that question has never come up oddly enough.

I say the deal will happen. Just waiting to see who is going to ATL and when.
i'd be willing to bet the house that Hammond has asked him. but given what happened when word leaked about the O'Sullivan trade, i think Dean has probably decided not to say much of anything if at all.

Old
01-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

vCash: 1840
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
i'd be willing to bet the house that Hammond has asked him. but given what happened when word leaked about the O'Sullivan trade, i think Dean has probably decided not to say much of anything if at all.
Well, that's sort of my point.

Hammond now working much closer with DL can't or won't disclose certain privileged information given. And that is why I say the trade is definitely in the works.

Old
01-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Sign him to a ridiculous Hossa like contract.

10M 10M 10M 10M 10M 9.5M 9.5M 5M 1.25M 1.25M .750M .750M

6.5M CAP hit.
Problem is that it seems he has no interest in signing that kind of contract and it's part of the reason why Waddell is having a hard time getting him inked to a deal.

Quote:
The Thrashers are open to the idea of a deal that could run as long as 12 years, but the question they have to answer is this: Will a 39-year-old Kovalchuk be worth $10 million? Or $9 million? Because the 26-year-old Kovalchuk has no interest in signing one of those Chris Pronger or Marian Hossa long-term deals where the final years are worthless.

"That's probably the hardest thing," Waddell said. "If we had that answered, we'd have a deal done. We look at other players what's the age where you see a dropoff? If we had the exact answer, it'd be easier."
Link

Old
01-18-2010, 08:42 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
if i'm not mistaken, Lupul was under contract. so again, i'd doubt it would be Frolov.

and Sbisa... well that wouldn't be Davis Drewiske. that's more like a Thomas Hickey or Colten Teubert.

so, ARE the Kings finally at the point where Dean can trade a first rounder? will he be willing to move two on a player he might be able to sign?

first you gotta find out which teams have two first rounders this summer. i know Anaheim is one... and you are not going to get very many teams, especially your rivals to deal out of the first round for a 2nd, 3rd and a goaltending prospect.
I should have added the 'toungue-in-cheek' smiley... if such a smiley exists.

I know the real comparison is more like 2 1sts, either Stoll or Brown and one of Hickey, Teubert and Voynov.

Old
01-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I don't know anything...really...

The Atlanta Thrashers have made the playoffs with Kovy once...and got smoked.

Go listen to most hockey people and they will say the same thing...he ain't worth 10 million....I'll take him for 6 as a UFA not Brown, Johnson, plus whoever and 10 million.
You'll take him for 6...so how overpaid do you think Kopitar is? What's he worth? 4?

Old
01-19-2010, 12:51 PM
eleventy

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=727003

Petr Sykora on waivers. Here's Dean's short term solution, but I doubt he gets to us before we can put a claim on him. Someone is gonna take a chance.

Old
01-19-2010, 02:10 PM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Here's something I just thought of:

Assuming Kovy is done in Atlanta, does Waddell feel any pressure to trade him BEFORE the olympic break?

I mean, if Kovy is not going to sign and gets injured during the olympics, Waddell loses out completely barring some minor compensation for negotiating rights after the season ends and before July 1 (Bouwmeester).

Old
01-19-2010, 02:19 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
If someone takes a chance on Sykora, it will probably be on re-entry waivers.

Old
01-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post

Assuming Kovy is done in Atlanta, does Waddell feel any pressure to trade him BEFORE the olympic break?

I mean, if Kovy is not going to sign and gets injured during the olympics, Waddell loses out completely barring some minor compensation for negotiating rights after the season ends and before July 1 (Bouwmeester).
Great point but a lot of the players on the block do get traded the day of or day before the deadline. With that said it is a very likely possibility. Its going to be a matter of what offers he has and how long does he want to wait to recieve something better.

Old
01-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post

Great, the Kings will probably trade for Kovalchuk before the Olympics and then he will get hurt during the Olympics.

I wouldn't be surprised if most teams will wait until after the Olympics to make any moves, just in case someone gets hurt in the Olympics.

Old
01-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Youngblood93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
If someone takes a chance on Sykora, it will probably be on re-entry waivers.
What is Sykora's contract like? Did he only sign a one year deal with MIN?

Old
01-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehole93 View Post
What is Sykora's contract like? Did he only sign a one year deal with MIN?
1 year / $1.6 million

Old
01-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Johnny Utah

I just don't want to give up the type of players Atlanta will want and put 10 million into one guy...leaving 40 million for the rest of the team.

People are forgetting that if Quick keeps playing like this he will be due for a big raise in a few years as well as Doughty, Simmonds and Johnson. Kopitar, Brown, Scuderi, Greene are really the only guys will long term deals....and that's about 18-20 million right there. How much money can we spend? Stoll and Handzus are another 8 million. Williams is at 3.5. What happens if Schenn and Bernier come in and dominates, we need cap room for them in a few years.

This is why Pittsburgh has Malkin, Crosby and both have crappy wingers...Kunitz, Guerin, Fedotanko? They are paying Fleury and Orpik big money too and probably won't re-sign Gonchar...this is why Chicago is talking of dealing a good young player. You can only have so many guys making between 4-7 million....This is why Washington is saying why they may lose Semin.

My point is losing Frolov only takes away 4 million, but adding 10 million really handcuffs the Kings...even if other guys go the other way....

Last edited by Johnny Utah: 01-19-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old
01-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
I just don't want to give up the type of players Atlanta will want and put 10 million into one guy...leaving 40 million for the rest of the team.

People are forgetting that if Quick keeps playing like this he will be due for a big raise in a few years as well as Doughty and Johnson. Kopitar, Brown, Stoll, Greene are really the only guys will long term deals....How much money can we spend? This is why Pittsburgh has Malkin, Crosby and both have crappy wingers....they have Fleury, Orpik and probably won't re-sign Gonchar...this is why Chicago is talking of dealing a good young player. You can only have so many guys making between 4-7 million....
Correct but don't forget in a couple years Handzus, ODonnell, Williams will have there salaries coming off the books. As long as the Kings don't give out bad contracts we will be fine CAP wise. One thing I am not worried about is DL managing the salary cap.

This might mean we lose Frolov which I'll be fine with as long as he's replaced with a better player.

As far as giving up players, were in the same boat. Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Johnson are untouchable IMO. Everyone else is either young and still up and coming which I wouldn't cry over losing for Kovalchuk (as much as I love Simmonds, Brownie) or they are older players whom ATL won't want (Zeus, Stoll etc.,).

Old
01-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Johnny Utah

Yeah but that's exactly my point, you have to re-sign guys to play with Kovy and Kopitar...? Who are the wingers going to be..? Tha'ts two guys making 16 million? I don't want to end up like Pittsburgh with washed up wingers...I want to re-sign Williams. We need 4 other top 6 wingers besides Kopitar and Kovy and 4 top 4 D-man. Those guys will cost money and when you're almost at 20 million with just 2 guys how can you fit 19 other players at 30 million?

Old
01-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Winger23

Quote:

People are forgetting that if Quick keeps playing like this he will be due for a big raise in a few years as well as Doughty, Simmonds and Johnson. Kopitar, Brown, Scuderi, Greene are really the only guys will long term deals....and that's about 18-20 million right there. How much money can we spend? Stoll and Handzus are another 8 million. Williams is at 3.5. What happens if Schenn and Bernier come in and dominates, we need cap room for them in a few years.

This is why Pittsburgh has Malkin, Crosby and both have crappy wingers...Kunitz, Guerin, Fedotanko? They are paying Fleury and Orpik big money too and probably won't re-sign Gonchar...this is why Chicago is talking of dealing a good young player. You can only have so many guys making between 4-7 million....This is why Washington is saying why they may lose Semin.

My point is losing Frolov only takes away 4 million, but adding 10 million really handcuffs the Kings...even if other guys go the other way....
The difference is IMO, those teams you mentioned can AFFORD to lose a player and still be amongst the best in the league. Is Kovy the best fit? Would it be better for the Kings to go after chicago's or Washington's expendables? I honestly don't know. But I'll be damned if the Kings don't make a move becuase they are worried about losing 1 player down the road when a superstar can be had now and for years to come.

Old
01-19-2010, 05:40 PM
clashdub1

Quote:
Yeah but that's exactly my point, you have to re-sign guys to play with Kovy and Kopitar...? Who are the wingers going to be..? Tha'ts two guys making 16 million? I don't want to end up like Pittsburgh with washed up wingers...I want to re-sign Williams. We need 4 other top 6 wingers besides Kopitar and Kovy and 4 top 4 D-man. Those guys will cost money and when you're almost at 20 million with just 2 guys how can you fit 19 other players at 30 million?
You dont want to end up like pittsburgh who won the stanley cup last year? who have more points then the kings this year? One fact that everyone is overlooking is he has the 2nd most points since the lockout. He is a lock to score 45-50 goals playing in atlanta with no center or winger. Imagine what he could do with kopitar and smyth? Imagine if the kings had a 50 goal scorer Think About

Old
01-19-2010, 05:45 PM
Johnny Utah

I meant I don't want the Kings to end up like Pittsburgh NOW....They are going to lose Gonchar, they still can't afford a top winger for Crosby or Malkin....They better hope they don't have any young players emerge as stars...There are always rumors of Staal being dealt because they won't be able to afford him or want to swap him for a winger.

According to hockeysfuture, they are 28th ranked with prospects...Unlike the Kings who are 3rd ranked...we have more kids ready to come in and make it and demand big salaries than they do on the horizon.

Old
01-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

If Kovalchuk is available July 1st, Lombardi would be a huge idiot if he doesn't make a huge offer. Superstars don't usually become available at 27 for nothing but cash. He's still 3+ years away from 30. If the Kings end up in cap trouble, I'm sure there would be plenty of teams interested in a trade for Kovalchuk.

The Kings have plenty of cap space available to re-sign their youth. The key to a strong team in the cap era is to draft well. As long as Lombardi continues to find some decent players in the 2nd-4th rounds, the Kings will be fine.

Old
01-19-2010, 06:36 PM
KingLB

Quote:

I agree with you to a point, you are missing some key differences between the Kings and Pitts.

First the way Dean is building the team and if he continues to draft this well, you can afford to lose a guy because of salary demands because you will have another young guy(still on his elc) ready to plug in the spot.

Second, if you can build the winning culture players can and should be willing to take less money thus enabling you to retain more talent at less cost.

Third you list numerous players that are gonna need pay increases, but you have to remember there is only so much playtime to go around so if schenn moves up next year, he is only gonna get third line mins thus keeping his numbers lower (and his contract demands). You also mention Quick/Bernier needing raises, I believe only one would need a raise as a King, as that situation should work it's self out within the next 1-2 years and when a player is moved, whichever it is, will also help to replace other holes in the team.

Fourth, you have to realize that some of these contracts will start to expire by the time we need to re-up other players contracts, Zues may or may not get resigned but it wont be for 4 mil again, I'd say 2 mil at the most maybe less with schenn ready to emerge maybe not at all, Smyth and his 6.25(?) will go away and he won't be keep at that number if at all.

Fifth, when Pitts signed the contracts with Crosby/Malkin there is an assumption the cap is going to continue to rise, they got kinda screwed it didn't....hopefully the kings won't have to deal with this trouble but lets assume the cap gets back to a part of what it was pre-economic troubles. Then you can safly assume atleast a rise in the cap of 2m a year giving you 4m more in cap space by the time Doughty needs to resign.

Closed Thread