HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sykora on Waivers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-19-2010, 06:01 PM
  #26
shamski7
Registered User
 
shamski7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bucks County, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to shamski7
sucks

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:01 PM
  #27
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Why does everyone think that goaltending is the problem with this team? The goalies have played fine (aside form a stretch from Emery while he was playing injured). They haven't been spectacular, but they are certainly not the problem.
They're not the problem, I think that a lot of people would like to see the Flyers get a franchise goalie, instead of using stopgaps.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:05 PM
  #28
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Why does everyone think that goaltending is the problem with this team? The goalies have played fine (aside form a stretch from Emery while he was playing injured). They haven't been spectacular, but they are certainly not the problem.
I dont think its the problem, just the only position that would be worth picking up.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:08 PM
  #29
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,493
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
They're not the problem, I think that a lot of people would like to see the Flyers get a franchise goalie, instead of using stopgaps.
I think Emery could be more than a stopgap but less than a franchise goalie. He has the potential to be a franchise guy but I'm not going to jump out and say that. There are only a few real franchise goalies in the league right now (Brodeur, Lundqvist, Fluery, Luongo, Kiprusoff, Nabakov, and Miller are the only ones IMO. Maybe Bryzgalov in Phoenix with the way he is playing this year and Cam Ward maybe, though this year he is not.). Basically what I am saying is goalie is the hardest position to fill via free agency and the draft. You almost have to get lucky (Kiprusoff 116th overall, Lundqvist 205th overall, 219th overall, 138th overall).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:24 PM
  #30
sgnl06
Registered User
 
sgnl06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
no heart
sounds like he'd fit right in

sgnl06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:18 PM
  #31
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think Emery could be more than a stopgap but less than a franchise goalie. He has the potential to be a franchise guy but I'm not going to jump out and say that. There are only a few real franchise goalies in the league right now (Brodeur, Lundqvist, Fluery, Luongo, Kiprusoff, Nabakov, and Miller are the only ones IMO. Maybe Bryzgalov in Phoenix with the way he is playing this year and Cam Ward maybe, though this year he is not.). Basically what I am saying is goalie is the hardest position to fill via free agency and the draft. You almost have to get lucky (Kiprusoff 116th overall, Lundqvist 205th overall, 219th overall, 138th overall).
The Flyers have some decent guys in Europe but this was the main reason why, when his value was lower than it is right now, I would have loved for Homer to go after Halak. No young and/or backup goalie is a sure thing but Halak seems to be as close as you can possibly get.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:25 AM
  #32
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
The Flyers have some decent guys in Europe but this was the main reason why, when his value was lower than it is right now, I would have loved for Homer to go after Halak. No young and/or backup goalie is a sure thing but Halak seems to be as close as you can possibly get.
I think Halak - four years from now or so - will either be Huet or a superstar, and nowhere in between.

We'll see when he finally gets that chance to be the guy.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 09:09 AM
  #33
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Breakaways. General manager Paul Holmgren said he had no interest in right winger Petr Sykora, 33, who was placed on waivers by Minnesota.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...e_Rangers.html

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 09:26 AM
  #34
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
I wonder if the interest level changes at all if he goes on re-entry wavers for half that salary?

Not saying we need him (at all), but I'd just be curious to see if he gets picked up then.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:05 AM
  #35
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Not sure if I replied on this but it is worth saying a 2nd time if I did.....I want absolutely NOTHING to do with Sykora.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:10 PM
  #36
Kambo
 
Kambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pennsauken, NJ
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Breakaways. General manager Paul Holmgren said he had no interest in right winger Petr Sykora, 33, who was placed on waivers by Minnesota.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...e_Rangers.html
I'm just surprised that guy managed to go an entire article without mentioning Richards' name once.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.