HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

AHL Skills Competition/All Star Game Thread (Subban and Desjardins)

Old
01-19-2010, 11:33 AM
TankEller*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Why are you comparing Chris ****ing higgins to PK Subban??????

We don't know what the criteria is for being a captain in the NHL???

Ok, here's a helpful tip - look at who are CAPTAINS!

If you can not find commonalities than I'm not sure what to tell you... anyways, there's a reason why Cam is not a captain - thank god.

Team Captain
Anaheim Ducks Scott Niedermayer
Atlanta Thrashers Ilya Kovalchuk
Boston Bruins Zdeno Chara
Buffalo Sabres Craig Rivet
Calgary Flames Jarome Iginla
Carolina Hurricanes Rod Brind'Amour
Chicago Blackhawks Jonathan Toews
Colorado Avalanche Adam Foote
Columbus Blue Jackets Rick Nash
Dallas Stars Brenden Morrow
Detroit Red Wings Nicklas Lidstrom
Edmonton Oilers Ethan Moreau
Florida Panthers Bryan McCabe
Los Angeles Kings Dustin Brown
Minnesota Wild Mikko Koivu
Montreal Canadiens vacant
Nashville Predators Jason Arnott
New Jersey Devils Jamie Langenbrunner
New York Islanders Doug Weight
New York Rangers Chris Drury
Ottawa Senators Daniel Alfredsson [a]
Philadelphia Flyers Mike Richards
Phoenix Coyotes Shane Doan
Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby
San Jose Sharks Rob Blake
St. Louis Blues Eric Brewer
Tampa Bay Lightning Vincent Lecavalier
Toronto Maple Leafs vacant
Vancouver Canucks Roberto Luongo [b]
Washington Capitals Alexander Ovechkin
You know what? Believe what you think. I don't think it's even worth losing my time with you. Oh, and btw, Markov said like a week ago that he would accept the title of captain if it was offered to him.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 11:34 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
FAIL.

Subban is the only prospect in memory that I'm this excited to see.

Subban is a greater prospect than Higgins, Komi or anyone in recent memory was (not counting goaltending - Price) .

Nice try though.
You completely missed my point so yeah, "nice try" indeed.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 11:36 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
This guy is the perfect example of what effect the medias have on most of the fans who blindly listen to them. Don't worry with him.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:20 PM
PacoXIII

PK SUBBAN = Our solution

Enough said.

PacoXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Next year.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:22 PM
CPrice

haha, that was a sweet goal. He was laughin pretty good after he nailed it.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Next year.
Agreed.

Lats, Price and Pax should have taught frenzied fans a lesson about letting the stew cook and simmer before digging in

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 02:05 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

That kid looks THICK.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
That kid looks THICK.
Yeah looks like he added some pounds. That's gonna help him a lot in the NHL.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 02:13 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Besides looking thicker... no one else thinks he looks taller? He sure does to me.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 02:15 PM
CPrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Besides looking thicker... no one else thinks he looks taller? He sure does to me.
He just looks bigger in general. He's going to be a stud, someone Habs fans can get excited over.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 02:24 PM
twenty7

Holy cow his one on one goal looked familiar with saku's double fake
only here it's like skate very fast towards the goalie and then stickhandling does the job P.K SUBBAN is a steal!

twenty7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 02:39 PM
SMoneyMonkey

I prefer captains with a bit more of a calm demeanor. Kind of like Toews and Yzerman. I don't think Subban is leadership material. I also think piling such amazing expectations on kids is something that Habs fans are rather guilty of and something we should stop doing. I mean Price is amazing for his age (for a couple years older, at that) but, people keep expecting him to be in the top 10 goalies because they're impatient with his growth.

That being said, people should definitely be excited about Subban. Just don't bog him down with expectations and take him for what he is. A great prospect.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 03:13 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
You know what? Believe what you think. I don't think it's even worth losing my time with you. Oh, and btw, Markov said like a week ago that he would accept the title of captain if it was offered to him.
If Markov wants to be captain, then NOW is the time to give it to him.

If it doesn't happen now, why would it happen later?

If the organization was so wild about Cam as captain, why the wait? Because they're smart enough to realize that there's a certain pedigree that's required to be a captain in the NHL... And Cam is not one. All his qualities can't hide the fact that he has absolutely no physical presence. This team needs a new blue print, and by giving the C to an undersized sniper only will serve to feed the stereotype.

I personally would take Gionta over Cam, just because Gio sacrifices his body...

But after 50 games, there's a reason why the team has none.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 03:23 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Cedrick Desjardins Named AHL Reebok Top Goaltender Award

Quote:
Portland, Maine - The Canadian AHL All-Stars opened the 2010 Time Warner Cable AHL All-Star Classic with an 18-12 victory over their PlanetUSA counterparts in the 2010 Ducks Unlimited AHL All-Star Skills Competition at the Cumberland County Civic Center on Monday evening.

The Hamilton Bulldogs All-Star's Cedrick Desjardins and P.K. Subban took part in a total of four events. In the RBC Rapid Fire, Subban scored once on five shots while Desjardins only allowed one goal on 10 shots. In the EA Sports NHL 10 Breakaway Relay, Subban used a deke move to score while Desjardins stopped five of the six shooters he faced. Subban also competed in the Reebok Fastest Skater earning a time of 15.151 while Desjardins participated in the McDonald's Pass and Score stopping one shot and allowing one goal.

Desjardins claimed the Reebok Top Goaltender award by stopping 16 of 19 shots for the Canadian side. Desjardins, a second-year pro, entered the league's midseason showcase ranking second in the AHL in goals-against average (1.81), tied for fifth in save percentage (.929), and first in shutouts (5) in 26 games for the North Division-leading Bulldogs.

PlanetUSA defenseman Bobby Sanguinetti set an event record by completing the Reebok Fastest Skater competition in 13.677 seconds. A first-round draft pick (21st overall) by the New York Rangers in 2006, the 21-year-old Sanguinetti hit the All-Star break with 26 points (6-20-26) in 38 games as a second-year pro for Hartford.

Canadian forward Blair Jones of the Norfolk Admirals claimed the Reebok Hardest Shot contest with a blast clocked at 100.7 miles per hour, becoming just the fourth AHL player in the event's history to top the century mark. Jon Matsumoto from the Adirondack Phantoms recorded the best mark in the Ducks Unlimited Accuracy Shooting event by hitting four of five targets.

Desjardins combined with Albany's Justin Peters (12 saves) and Manchester's Jonathan Bernier (12 saves) to help the Canadian AHL All-Stars halt a three-year losing streak in the Skills Competition.

The Canadian squad will go for the sweep when the 2010 Time Warner Cable AHL All-Star Classic continues on Tuesday night (8:00 p.m. ET) with the annual AHL All-Star Game. Check theahl.com for air times and channels along the AHL All-Star Classic television network.

To view all results, visit http://theahl.com/2010-skills-competition-p140032.
Source:
http://www.hamiltonbulldogs.com/arti...ls-competition

Title should say Recieves instead of Named**

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 03:27 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
No I didn't ...

Your comparing my hope for PK to be captain one day with the same hope that fans had for Higgins, Komi, Chip ETC.

That's truly underestimating PK Subban. Yes, he has not played 1 game, and there is no guarantee that he would be right for the honor in a few years time, however this kid has leadership qualities painted all over his face. Very similar in personality to Cam, however, only difference looks like 50 pounds of muscle and 4-5 inches. Back to Subban, at such a young age, he's saying things about "taking french lessons", his personality and character is always talked highly about, he comes from a good family with strong values... You can go on and on, but most importantly, he's rated #3 prospect in the AHL and ranks at the very top for defensemen in scoring , + - etc..

You all want to bash me for suggesting that his pedigree, his potential is far more captain worthy than anyone on our team this season and in past seasons...

I hope the organization keeps the C for a player that is right to wear it... and I rather wait for a better option than what we have now.

Old
01-19-2010, 03:29 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

I can't believe what this thread turned into. This is why Montreal is laughed at. You guys are saying PK Subban will be captain without an NHL game under his belt. Why don't you just let what happens happen instead of putting expectations on everybody.

Old
01-19-2010, 03:33 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
I can't believe what this thread turned into. This is why Montreal is laughed at. You guys are saying PK Subban will be captain without an NHL game under his belt. Why don't you just let what happens happen instead of putting expectations on everybody.
Why can't a fan look at a prospect and say "this guy has leadership qualities, the kind that are found in Captains"

He's not just any joe shmo prospect !

And nobody is saying he WILL, we're saying he has the "potential".

so many of you guys just like to use the same cliches about "typical" fans....

Old
01-19-2010, 03:38 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

I'll tell you right now he's not ready to be a leader. Too immature. Sometimes he gets frustrated and smashes his stick around, shows visible frustration, and tries to do too much. He got benched a few games ago because in practice he snapped his stick and threw it into the bench and almost hit the coach.

Old
01-19-2010, 03:41 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
I'll tell you right now he's not ready to be a leader. Too immature. Sometimes he gets frustrated and smashes his stick around, shows visible frustration, and tries to do too much. He got benched a few games ago because in practice he snapped his stick and threw it into the bench and almost hit the coach.
I'd be more worried about his leadership if he was known to take nights-off and float.

Showing too much emotion is a good thing... That can be controlled and channeled better with maturity.

Old
01-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'd be more worried about his leadership if he was known to take nights-off and float.

Showing too much emotion is a good thing... That can be controlled and channeled better with maturity.
So of the list of current captains who fits this description? I don't understand how that list makes Cammalleri and Gionta not look like good potential captains and make PK look like one. Most of the players you've listed aren't exactly Mr. charisma.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 04:02 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
So of the list of current captains who fits this description? I don't understand how that list makes Cammalleri and Gionta not look like good potential captains and make PK look like one. Most of the players you've listed aren't exactly Mr. charisma.
None of the players on the list are 5'7 175 lbs snipers with 35 goals.

They're either superstars,franchise players, skilled defensemen and or TOUGH. Guys like Rivet do drop the gloves (although I would rather Gionta than Rivet, or Drury).

I would take Gionta over Cam for this reason, but I'd take many other captains on that list (most of them ) over Gionta too.

This franchise has been plagued with being defined as "small" for how many years?

I would be upset if they gave the C to a small player... Let's change the image...

Old
01-19-2010, 05:04 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
None of the players on the list are 5'7 175 lbs snipers with 35 goals.

They're either superstars,franchise players, skilled defensemen and or TOUGH. Guys like Rivet do drop the gloves (although I would rather Gionta than Rivet, or Drury).

I would take Gionta over Cam for this reason, but I'd take many other captains on that list (most of them ) over Gionta too.

This franchise has been plagued with being defined as "small" for how many years?

I would be upset if they gave the C to a small player... Let's change the image...
Have to say I agree with you. I love gionta, but if we're waiting, we should wait some more until we get a big solid guy to name our captain. Nothing is worse than seeing your captain getting steamrolled and no one doing anything about it. Would be a great thing to see a habs captain get hit, and proceed to bury the offending player by himself, not by rivet, souray, komisarek, mara or whoever else is watching at the time.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

AHL All-Star game on tonight at 9:30pm on TSN.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:46 PM
PATCHESx67

Great the Price/Halak Debate wasent enough now the French media will start talking about Ced

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote