HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mets willing and able to Host Winter Classic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2010, 02:40 PM
  #151
TrueBlueNorwegian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Norway
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I mean yeah technically it's Long Island. It's in Queens. But Queens isn't really Long Island.

Okay. I was in New York last week for the 3 home games and i took the bus from grand central through long island city to JFK and i spotted a sign with directions to citi field
Still, i think Yankee Stadium would be more appropriate for the Rangers. If they're the home team that is.

TrueBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:42 PM
  #152
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,765
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueNorwegian View Post
Okay. I was in New York last week for the 3 home games and i took the bus from grand central through long island city to JFK and i spotted a sign with directions to citi field
Still, i think Yankee Stadium would be more appropriate for the Rangers. If they're the home team that is.
Honestly, so do I. Coming from a Mets fan even. But if Yankee Stadium isn't an option--and all signs point that way--then I don't think it cheapens the game or makes it less appealing to host it at Citi.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:51 PM
  #153
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,612
vCash: 500
Ugh, I hate Randy Levine. I hope the Winter Classic is at CitiField and the ratings for the game blow the college bowl game at Yankee Stadium out of the water.

I keep on seeing rumors about a potential Pens-Capitals match up for next year's Winter Classic. I will vomit if Cindy and the Pens get to be in another Winter Classic game before the Rangers play in one.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:52 PM
  #154
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,016
vCash: 500
As much as I would love to go to Yankee Stadium for the outdoor game, I would go anywhere if the Rangers were playing.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 07:14 PM
  #155
nyrmetros
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,335
vCash: 500
a lot of people think that new Shea would cheapen the event if the Rangers are hosting. But if the Isles decide to host an outdoor game independently of the NHL and NBC, then new Shea it is.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 07:49 PM
  #156
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,765
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
a lot of people think that new Shea would cheapen the event if the Rangers are hosting. But if the Isles decide to host an outdoor game independently of the NHL and NBC, then new Shea it is.
Who thinks that? Yankees fans?

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 07:54 PM
  #157
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 9,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Who thinks that? Yankees fans?
yup!

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:00 PM
  #158
nyrmetros
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Who thinks that? Yankees fans?
no. The NHL big wigs.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:10 PM
  #159
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
no. The NHL big wigs.
Care to provide a link to an article that says that?

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:30 PM
  #160
John Torturella
Registered User
 
John Torturella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Care to provide a link to an article that says that?
You don't need a link, just common sense. Anyone can figure that the NHL its looking for a sensational venue. I would argue that Citi Field is definitely not sensational. I know they did it in Buffalo, but the sensation in that is its 80,000 people to watch a hockey game. The last 2 years they were played in 2 of the most historic stadiums in sports, in Fenway Park and Wrigley Field.

I'm not trying bash the Mets or anything, but Winter Classic at Citi Field lacks that wow factor.

The NHL is probably looking for an event with large capacity (75,000+) or some kind of historic building or some other kind of lure.

The NHL probably doesn't think Citi Field fits the bill.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:46 PM
  #161
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,765
vCash: 500
Awards:
I don't know, not being ideal is one thing, "cheapening" the event is something different entirely.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:47 PM
  #162
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988
 
Classic Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 33,285
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
You don't need a link, just common sense. Anyone can figure that the NHL its looking for a sensational venue. I would argue that Citi Field is definitely not sensational. I know they did it in Buffalo, but the sensation in that is its 80,000 people to watch a hockey game. The last 2 years they were played in 2 of the most historic stadiums in sports, in Fenway Park and Wrigley Field.

I'm not trying bash the Mets or anything, but Winter Classic at Citi Field lacks that wow factor.

The NHL is probably looking for an event with large capacity (75,000+) or some kind of historic building or some other kind of lure.

The NHL probably doesn't think Citi Field fits the bill.
On the other hand, it's New York.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:33 PM
  #163
John Torturella
Registered User
 
John Torturella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
On the other hand, it's New York.
I guess, but the main point is that NHL is looking for something spectacular and I think they would look at other options before Citi field

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 07:17 AM
  #164
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,779
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
You don't need a link, just common sense. Anyone can figure that the NHL its looking for a sensational venue. I would argue that Citi Field is definitely not sensational. I know they did it in Buffalo, but the sensation in that is its 80,000 people to watch a hockey game. The last 2 years they were played in 2 of the most historic stadiums in sports, in Fenway Park and Wrigley Field.

I'm not trying bash the Mets or anything, but Winter Classic at Citi Field lacks that wow factor.

The NHL is probably looking for an event with large capacity (75,000+) or some kind of historic building or some other kind of lure.

The NHL probably doesn't think Citi Field fits the bill.
Yankee Stadium is a historical building?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.