HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Redden to minors?

Old
01-19-2010, 05:21 PM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Not to sell Sather short, Redden did have 36 points in only 64 games his second to last season in Ottawa, and 10 points in 20 playoff games. Going into the finals he lead the team in +/- as well with a +9. He was oft-injured that year, first a groin injury then a shoulder injury.

The red flag was his last season where he played all but 1 or 2 games and only had 38 points.

And as it's already been said it'd have been one thing to take a chance, but 6 years $39 mil better be as close to a sure thing as there can be found.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 05:26 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNRISE27EMTK View Post
Once Chara left Ottawa...Reddens game went as well. Chara helped make up for Reddens mistakes. About every GM knew that and that is why he was offered around 3 million during FA until Sather blew him away with a crazy deal. Personal issues or not, Chara was the reason why Redden looked better than he was.

With that said Redden did play well for you guys in the playoffs IMO. He has had some solid games this year. Consistency is the issue.
I don't buy that for a second. You don't score 17 goals in a season and double digit goals in 5 different seasons by accident. Who made him look good in 2000-01, Chris Phillips? Chara's presence could've contributed to all the assists that boosted his stats those years, but lets not discredit a guy that WAS one of the better defenseman in the league when he was in his prime. Not elite, but he was up there.

Old
01-19-2010, 05:30 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Redden does not get beat on a 1-on-1 rush hardly ever. The guy is still very good positionally and is fast enough to keep up with most skaters in the league.
not trying to get nitpicky, but most skaters in the league? He's solid enough positionally to not look like a traffic cone against most skaters in the league, but the guy's barely faster than Marek Malik was, or as aforementioned, Jason Strudwick.

Old
01-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter17 View Post
Yeah, but he is saying that you should only take an expensive risk if it is for a 1-2 year contract.
I think -31- put it best....

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Because top notch free agents love 1-2 year contracts....
UFA's are looking for the terms as much as they're looking for the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Not to sell Sather short, Redden did have 36 points in only 64 games his second to last season in Ottawa, and 10 points in 20 playoff games. Going into the finals he lead the team in +/- as well with a +9. He was oft-injured that year, first a groin injury then a shoulder injury.

The red flag was his last season where he played all but 1 or 2 games and only had 38 points.
I wasn't even a big fan, but I had a healthy respect for Redden, thought he was better player than he showed that year and would be a lock to bounce back. He was the second best defenseman available and I think Sather was really afraid of losing him to another offer. Not, "rightfully so", but the idea was to improve the blue line and getting the best guy you could seemed like a logical plan.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 07:09 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I think -31- put it best....

UFA's are looking for the terms as much as they're looking for the money.

I wasn't even a big fan, but I had a healthy respect for Redden, thought he was better player than he showed that year and would be a lock to bounce back. He was the second best defenseman available and I think Sather was really afraid of losing him to another offer. Not, "rightfully so", but the idea was to improve the blue line and getting the best guy you could seemed like a logical plan.
I agree, and like I posted earlier if you look at the other contracts he handed out to fill the blueline that year (Kalinin and Roszival had pretty crazy contracts, Kalinin made a little sense since it was only a 1 year deal....what I don't get with Roszy is that he wasn't an UFA and he got paid like it. Should've called his bluff, wouldn't have been the end of the world if he left.)

It's a shame guys like Brad Stuart and Brooks Orpik didn't hit the market that year. Might've saved us all this trouble, or at least driven Redden's price down a little if we still ended up with him.

Old
01-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Xpaco08

Roszy was a UFA. Three hours after signing him the Rangers announced the signing of Redden. Stuart and Orpik both hit the market that day. Stuart re-signed relatively quickly with Detroit but I remember reading that Orpik was open to the idea of playing for Rangers but Sather never offered a contract or something like that.

Last edited by Xpaco08: 01-19-2010 at 07:22 PM. Reason: more information provided
Xpaco08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 08:58 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

when Redden gets beat, he tends to get beat at the Rangers offensive blueline. From the redline in, hes actually pretty good in 1 on 1 and odd man rush situations...I think thats his lack of a quick step being shown...

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:25 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
when Redden gets beat, he tends to get beat at the Rangers offensive blueline. From the redline in, hes actually pretty good in 1 on 1 and odd man rush situations...I think thats his lack of a quick step being shown...
You forgot, his ability to get the puck at the goal line and softly flip it to the other team at the point while unpressured is second to none.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Getting continually drilled along the boards in Ottawa (something he still manages to do here) pretty much ruined any agility and mobility he had, which was what made him a quality player.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpaco08 View Post
Roszy was a UFA. Three hours after signing him the Rangers announced the signing of Redden. Stuart and Orpik both hit the market that day. Stuart re-signed relatively quickly with Detroit but I remember reading that Orpik was open to the idea of playing for Rangers but Sather never offered a contract or something like that.
I remember seeing the Redden signing and saying well no more Rozy......next thing ya know they spent 11.5 million on 2 Dmen. Meanwhile they could of just kept Tyutin and let Rozy walk.......sign a UFA Winger instead of doing the Zherdev deal. In hindsight Sather screwed up big time signing both Redden and Rozy. Imagine just having Redden's bad contract on D then all of the young talented D?..........The contract would'nt be as horrible as it is. But now they are stuck with 2 over paid Dmen instead of one.

I do think Rozy has trade value though

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I remember seeing the Redden signing and saying well no more Rozy......next thing ya know they spent 11.5 million on 2 Dmen. Meanwhile they could of just kept Tyutin and let Rozy walk.......sign a UFA Winger instead of doing the Zherdev deal. In hindsight Sather screwed up big time signing both Redden and Rozy. Imagine just having Redden's bad contract on D then all of the young talented D?..........The contract would'nt be as horrible as it is. But now they are stuck with 2 over paid Dmen instead of one.

I do think Rozy has trade value though
True. Although he could've just not signed Redden due to his deteriorating game/numbers and then we'd have a semi-moveable Rozi contract with all that youth on D

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote