HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dreger: "Expect Big Changes".

Old
01-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He is worth nothing to us as he doesnt fit in with what should be our plan and I could care less what he does if he comes back to the league. As far as Jagr is concerned I am sure it would be between us and the Leafs for his last choices were he to make a return to the league. Let it go already.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:31 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactforcoach View Post
So did Sutter, but he's not exactly tearing it up with the Flames. WJC & U18 tournaments table the best of the best. Any decent coach should succeed with Canada's talent. Quinn also coached Canada's last Olympic gold, again a team overflowing with talent. I just don't think he's a guy to develop a struggling young team.
One day all we ever hear is how fragile this team is right now. Next we here how dumb they are. C'mon, thats just starting to sound like excuses to cover the coaching staffs butts.
I'll be the first to admit the team is playing like crap right now, and no, they are not a very good team, but put yourself in their shoes. Everywhere they turn in the media they are being slammed, the fans at home boo them, then when they turn to their coach, he turns his back on them and joins ranks with the nay sayers. Don't be surprised to see players leaving town as fast as possible. Oh well we alway have more rookies in the system. We will just continue to develop players for other teams.
If only we could be so lucky.........

I appreciate your frustration and it is shared. If you want to lay blame at the feet of Quinn, what are you really saying? That would make two coaches (one with a proven record of success at this level) that were not successful with this team. Do you really think a new coach is going to be the answer?

Quinn's honesty and straightforward communication is a breath of fresh air around here. Many players, especially veterans had the benefit of zero scrutiny last year, and that didnt work out either. If not calling them out doesnt work, and calling them out doesnt work, then Im not sure what it is you are looking for? The mistake would be to approach them in the same manner that was tried before.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:38 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
Yeah this is in part why the situation seems so hopeless at the moment. There isn't one single aspect of the team that you can point at to keep in tact as a starting point to move forward.

The skill isn't skilled enough, the vets aren't effective enough, the leadership isn't leading enough, the goaltending isn't reliable enough, the management isn't proactive enough and on and on it goes.

As for Dreger's article, put me in with the "believe it when we see it" crowd. There wasn't a local media guy in the city (closer to the team than Dreger is) that wasn't gauranteeing big changes with the players as we headed into last summer. Guaranteed to move one of the 4 offensive d men, guaranteed to get a top 6 forward, guaranteed to get a faceoff guy, guaranteed that Nilsson would be traded and so on...

None of it happened.
QFT

i seem to recall a "fire and brimstone" press conference at the end of last season, where a *very obviously* emotional tambellini all but swore on his mothers grave that there would be massive changes in the offseason.... how many changes did we end up making? 3 by my count, and 2 of those involved the same position... we let kotalik walk as a UFA, we let roloson walk as a UFA and we signed khabi as a UFA

no, i'm not getting fooled again, not by this sorry-sack management team

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:47 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
QFT

i seem to recall a "fire and brimstone" press conference at the end of last season, where a *very obviously* emotional tambellini all but swore on his mothers grave that there would be massive changes in the offseason.... how many changes did we end up making? 3 by my count, and 2 of those involved the same position... we let kotalik walk as a UFA, we let roloson walk as a UFA and we signed khabi as a UFA

Barnes and Gregor argued about this yesterday, I agree with Barnes if management wants its fans to belived then management needs to do something not say something. Maybe Tambo is waiting and I've said it before I give him until next year puck drop, but if he stands there with his hands in his pocket and doesn't make many deals before next year then he will have lied to us.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:48 AM
mactforcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
If only we could be so lucky.........

I appreciate your frustration and it is shared. If you want to lay blame at the feet of Quinn, what are you really saying? That would make two coaches (one with a proven record of success at this level) that were not successful with this team. Do you really think a new coach is going to be the answer?
Quinn's honesty and straightforward communication is a breath of fresh air around here. Many players, especially veterans had the benefit of zero scrutiny last year, and that didnt work out either. If not calling them out doesnt work, and calling them out doesnt work, then Im not sure what it is you are looking for? The mistake would be to approach them in the same manner that was tried before.
I never did believe a new coach was the answer, starting last year. But it sounds like maybe, just maybe, management is going to make some big bold moves here. If in fact they do move out some portion of the old guard, and go with a largely young team, then from what I've seen this year, Quinn is not the man for me. He also seems to be getting a free ride so far, like one poster asked, why does the coaching staff get to hide behind the injury situation, as an excuse, but the players are not?

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
QFT

That presser did make it seem like big changes. Though if you listened carefully he said something to the effect of I do not know right now if those changes will come from within the organization or outside the organization.

They promoted JFJ, Brule, Potulny, Stone from within and of course added Khabi and Comrie. So I suppose if he got backed into a corner. He could say the changes came from within like I said might be the case.

Then also only a couple of weeks later he is on with I think it was Tencer. He says now that the emotion of the whole thing had died down. When he now sits and examines the team, he does not think it is as bad as he thought at that press conference and maybe not as much needs changing as he originally thought. That was the point before free agency when I realized those changes were going to be minimal. Though in a different way from your post above it still illustrates some incompetent management decisions.

Oh on your changes count besides Comrie. You forgot we traded one of C's with size, face off and PK ability in Brodziak for picks. All areas we needed strengthening in already.

I will be in wait and see mode too. But at least coming from Dreger and the tone and wording he used. I have a tiny bit more belief it might actually happen, at least to some noticeable extent.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 04:20 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
That presser did make it seem like big changes. Though if you listened carefully he said something to the effect of I do not know right now if those changes will come from within the organization or outside the organization.

They promoted JFJ, Brule, Potulny, Stone from within and of course added Khabi and Comrie. So I suppose if he got backed into a corner. He could say the changes came from within like I said might be the case.

Then also only a couple of weeks later he is on with I think it was Tencer. He says now that the emotion of the whole thing had died down. When he now sits and examines the team, he does not think it is as bad as he thought at that press conference and maybe not as much needs changing as he originally thought. That was the point before free agency when I realized those changes were going to be minimal. Though in a different way from your post above it still illustrates some incompetent management decisions.

Oh on your changes count besides Comrie. You forgot we traded one of C's with size, face off and PK ability in Brodziak for picks. All areas we needed strengthening in already.

I will be in wait and see mode too. But at least coming from Dreger and the tone and wording he used. I have a tiny bit more belief it might actually happen, at least to some noticeable extent.
all very good points... your memory of the situation is good and accurate as far as i can remember

the only thing i disagree with is the past paragraph... one would think that what *the GM of the team* says would carry more weight than what a reporter says... tambellini said we were getting massive changes last year and we did not, not even close.... i'm still firmly in the "i'll believe it when i see it" camp.... i am sick and tired of this incompetent management team over-promising and under-delivering.... just keep your mouths shut and do your damn job

to be honest, i just want a new management team period... lowe should have lost his job in 2007 if we're truthful with ourselves

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote