HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Wild Place Sykora on Waivers

Old
01-20-2010, 02:00 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

vCash: 500
I saw Peca retired the other day. That's a player I wouldn't have minded signing for insurance in the event Winnik is out long term. He also had a lot of playoff experience including trips to the finals with the Sabres & Oilers.

I guess he wanted to stay close to Buffalo, so obviously the Coyotes weren't an option. Kind of surprised there wasn't a team in the East interested in his services. I could see a team with some injuries come playoff time, being interested in him.

I'm sure I'll hear from ??? ducky or matzel soon? I forget which, if not both, have eternal hate for Peca because of his cheap shot on Selanne back in the Jet days.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of him (didn't like the hit he put on Ballard a few years back), but I can't fault what he brought to the ice rink, and I'd guess his teammates liked him.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 03:10 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

He was in Richards' doghouse in Minni, likely for his lack of commitment to defence, so I'd suspect the same problems would arise here under Tippett. Looks like an OK pickup on paper, but not convinced his signing would help us one bit.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Coyotes Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Sykora also had Crosby/Malkin feeding him pucks. He was a healthy scratch for most of the 2009 playoffs. I'm not sure if 'knows how to win' is the same as 'happened to be on some stacked clubs/lines during his career.'

The Devils traded him in 2002 after Sykora decided he couldn't play through what was prognosed as a minor ankle injury during the playoffs. After making back-to-back Finals, the Devils went out in the first round when nobody could score. Allegedly, the players spotted Sykora walking without a limp in the hotel.

Sykora still has a great shot but his skating/motivation isn't what it once was. He's only under contract for this year, so at least he wouldn't be an albatross if he didn't pan out.
Your above comments prompt me to stand behind my original statements regarding Sykora.

Coyotes Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote