HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Kovalchuk

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Kingz4life

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
unless Lombardi feels he can't replace Johnson from within and doesn't have a deal in place for another defenseman.
Johnson is on the verge of becoming a top pairing d-man and I hope he's not involved in the deal.

Old
01-20-2010, 10:03 PM
riseandfall9

A lot of good points. And a lot of really stupid points.

I think that Lombardi is more inclined to do somthing more drastic this year then in the more previous years. He is afterall wanting an extention.

And I am with JDM. I am down to trade Schenn. I just dont see him being more then a decent 2 way center. And as much as it will be critized I think Brayden Schenn has bust written all over him. And if hes not a bust I dont think he will ever be a superstar or even a star. Kinda like Scott Thornton. But then again he may be a late bloomer like Ollie Joikenen. You just never know. The prospect of having Kovalchuk for 10 years is just to juicy.

Old
01-20-2010, 10:16 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
A lot of good points. And a lot of really stupid points.

I think that Lombardi is more inclined to do somthing more drastic this year then in the more previous years. He is afterall wanting an extention.

And I am with JDM. I am down to trade Schenn. I just dont see him being more then a decent 2 way center. And as much as it will be critized I think Brayden Schenn has bust written all over him. And if hes not a bust I dont think he will ever be a superstar or even a star. Kinda like Scott Thornton. But then again he may be a late bloomer like Ollie Joikenen. You just never know. The prospect of having Kovalchuk for 10 years is just to juicy.
An extension he doesn't need until next season. He's not going to do anything drastic to hurt his chances like trade a chunk of assets for a rental.

Old
01-20-2010, 11:36 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Without an extension in place I think Kovalchuk gets traded to Boston for the #1 pick they stole from Toronto and other players. It makes a ton of sense for Atlanta given the good young players they already have. That #1 pick looks a helluva lot better than any package of players I've seen rumored so far.

Old
01-20-2010, 11:39 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Without an extension in place I think Kovalchuk gets traded to Boston for the #1 pick they stole from Toronto and other players. It makes a ton of sense for Atlanta given the good young players they already have. That #1 pick looks a helluva lot better than any package of players I've seen rumored so far.
This makes alot of sense

Old
01-20-2010, 11:48 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Isn't Boston like right up against the cap, almost no wiggle room? They would undoubtedly have to give up at least two roster players just to make room this year, let alone if they wanted to resign him. It makes sense as a rental though if they can swing it.

Old
01-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I'm sure Atlanta doesn't want Kovalchuk in the east.

Old
01-21-2010, 12:22 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

The only trade partners for the Thrashers that make sense are the ones mention in the TSN clip. The Blackhawks and The Kings. If Kovy is traded he'll end up a Blackhawk short-term or a King a long-term.

The Blackhawks need to dump salary but also need to stay competitive this season. Kovy needless say does that, and should make Chicago by far the best team in the NHL, and Atlanta can get top notch talent like Sharp or Baker as well as a prospects or picks.

The Kings have the depth to spare, and can give the Thrashers a package that would be suitable to having Kovy sign long term in Los Angeles. Atlanta can get a multitude of the prospects and picks from the Kings.

Or the most likely scenario... something else will happen.

Old
01-21-2010, 12:39 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingOmatic View Post
The only trade partners for the Thrashers that make sense are the ones mention in the TSN clip. The Blackhawks and The Kings. If Kovy is traded he'll end up a Blackhawk short-term or a King a long-term.

The Blackhawks need to dump salary but also need to stay competitive this season. Kovy needless say does that, and should make Chicago by far the best team in the NHL, and Atlanta can get top notch talent like Sharp or Baker as well as a prospects or picks.

The Kings have the depth to spare, and can give the Thrashers a package that would be suitable to having Kovy sign long term in Los Angeles. Atlanta can get a multitude of the prospects and picks from the Kings.

Or the most likely scenario... something else will happen.
If the Thrashers decide not to allow anyone to negotiate with Kovy then he will end up a rental somewhere and then hit free agency where he could land anywhere.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Old
01-21-2010, 01:23 AM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Kovalchuk – Kopitar – Williams
Smyth – Stoll – Brown
Frolov – Handzus– Simmonds
Parse – Richardson – Moller

Doughty – Scuderi
Johnson – O’Donnell
Greene – Drewiske

Quick

This roster is a Stanley Cup Contender!!!

We would have to probably (Due to the Salary Cap for 2011) trade either Stoll (3.6M) or Handzus (4.0M) which won't hurt as much thanks to the emergence of Richardson or we simply just do not re-sign Frolov/involve him in the deal if ATL wants.

Trebuert, Moller/Schenn, Frolov, 2010 2nd rounder, 2011 1st rounder for a SIGNED Kovalchuk sounds good to me.

For an unsigned Kovalchuk:

Frolov, Jones, Purcell, and conditional draft picks?

Old
01-21-2010, 01:33 AM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life View Post

We would have to probably (Due to the Salary Cap for 2011) trade either Stoll (3.6M) or Handzus (4.0M) which won't hurt as much thanks to the emergence of Richardson or we simply just do not re-sign Frolov/involve him in the deal if ATL wants.
Handzus is UFA in 2011, IIRC. Pretty sure Williams is that year as well. I don't feel signing Kovy to a large contract will have that much of an impact on the Kings salary cap PROVIDED they continue to produce solid, yet affordable talent (Drewiske, Simmonds, Parse, Quick, etc.) Big contracts hurt you if you don't have those affordable players that can produce. Given the Kings recent drafting success, I see no reason why they wouldn't make a serious run at Kovy if the opportunity is there. Dean does have confidence in the scouting ability of the organization, which would surely factor into any decision he makes.

Old
01-21-2010, 02:08 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Kovalchuk – Kopitar – Williams
Smyth – Stoll – Brown
Frolov – Handzus– Simmonds
Parse – Richardson – Moller

Doughty – Scuderi
Johnson – O’Donnell
Greene – Drewiske

Quick

This roster is a Stanley Cup Contender!!!

Trebuert, Moller/Schenn, Frolov, 2010 2nd rounder, 2011 1st rounder for a SIGNED Kovalchuk sounds good to me.

so you have Frolov in both deal scenarios AND playing on the third line of your "contender."

well... i'm in!

Old
01-21-2010, 08:18 AM
JPFT
Los Angeles Kings

What scenario's would there be not trading Frolov? I would like some Atlanta fans to give their opinion on this.
Kovalchuk and Frolov are awesome together.

Old
01-21-2010, 08:57 AM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobPFT View Post
What scenario's would there be not trading Frolov? I would like some Atlanta fans to give their opinion on this.
Kovalchuk and Frolov are awesome together.
Theyve played together before?

Old
01-21-2010, 08:59 AM
jimmy1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsRule View Post
Theyve played together before?
I think so. World Championships and previous Olympics. I'm almost positive they were on the 2006 Olympic team together. Not sure if they were on the same line though.

EDIT: Just confirmed on the 06 Olympic team.

Old
01-21-2010, 09:18 AM
artilector

I'm gonna chime in as an outside observer (Caps fan).

If you're gonna get Kovy, you've got to find a way to retain Frolov. It would be crazy not to. They've played great for Russia before, and really Frolov is everything Kovy needs in terms of support -- possession, size, defensive awareness, skill. And Frolov is cheap. Heck, you might get him for 3.5 per. That's insane. He's better than probably 95% of the players making that much.

In a nutshell, if you were going to design the ideal complementary wing for Kovy, it would probably be Frolov... and you can have him for a bargain price..

Old
01-21-2010, 09:35 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post

If you're gonna get Kovy, you've got to find a way to retain Frolov. It would be crazy not to. They've played great for Russia before, and really Frolov is everything Kovy needs in terms of support -- possession, size, defensive awareness, skill. And Frolov is cheap. Heck, you might get him for 3.5 per. That's insane. He's better than probably 95% of the players making that much.

In a nutshell, if you were going to design the ideal complementary wing for Kovy, it would probably be Frolov... and you can have him for a bargain price..
This is what I would hope for. I like the word complement. I think that is exactly what Kovy could do for Fro, and vise verse. If we can get Fro for under or at 4mill... I just see him killing with Kovy. Could be the key part in making Fro the player that DL was hoping he could become.

Old
01-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Here are the options I would make available to Atlanta:

One of the following veterans: Handzus, Stoll, Williams
One of the following young forwards: Moller, Lewis, Kozun
One of the following young defensemen: Hickey, Teubert, Deslauriers
Option of a 2010 or 2011 1st Round Pick
Conditional 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2010 (condition being that the Kings and Kovalchuk agree to a contract extension)

This package would be similar to the Marian Hossa trade that Don Waddell negotiated. In the Hossa trade with Pittsburgh, the Thrashers received:

Colby Armstrong (veteran forward)
Erik Christensen (young forward)
Angelo Esposito (prospect)
2008 1st Round Pick (29th Overall, selected forward Daultan Leveille)

Old
01-21-2010, 09:45 AM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post
I think so. World Championships and previous Olympics. I'm almost positive they were on the 2006 Olympic team together. Not sure if they were on the same line though.

EDIT: Just confirmed on the 06 Olympic team.
Sweet, that would be awesome to have both. Fro would end up with 80 assists and Kovy would have 80 goals

Old
01-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post

Agree. Frolov would be a key intermediary.

I don't want Kovalchuk though. He's not a good fit. He would be too much a of a distraction. We don't need that "star" in LA; we have plenty of them in Hollywood.

From what I've seen as a Kings fan, the stars in LA usually distract from the team. The team has been what has made them successful this year; the summertime commitment is where it all began. Today you see a young skilled team who actually enjoys playing with each other. They have chemistry.

Old
01-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post

I don't want Kovalchuk though. He's not a good fit. He would be too much a of a distraction. We don't need that "star" in LA; we have plenty of them in Hollywood.

From what I've seen as a Kings fan, the stars in LA usually distract from the team. The team has been what has made them successful this year; the summertime commitment is where it all began. Today you see a young skilled team who actually enjoys playing with each other. They have chemistry.
Kovalchuk wouldn't be a star in LA. You think he'd be recognized by anyone outside of hockey fans? It wouldn't be any different than the Kings getting Ziggy Palffy.

The young skilled team would probably welcome having a player who can maybe take some scoring pressure off their backs. Plus the fact that Kovalchuk at 26 is within the age range. I think the team and young players can benefit from having Kovalchuk on the roster. It would alleviate how tightly Kopitar or Smyth or Brown or Frolov are checked due to teams trying to contain a player who has a dangerous shot that can score at will.

Old
01-21-2010, 10:48 AM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post

This is the kind of thinking that will never get you over the hump. You don't want a top five talent on this team??? Ovie is a huge distraction and that situation is fine for Caps. The last star we had here was Ziggy, and guess what, he got us into the playoffs and gave us a chance every season, just live Kovi would.

We need that star player in LA. Us fans want it, the NHL needs it and who the **** wouldn't be very excited about this???

Old
01-21-2010, 12:13 PM
HookKing

Quote:

You're dreaming here. Atanta would be much better off just keeping Kovy for the playoff run.

Old
01-21-2010, 12:28 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedkings View Post
This is the kind of thinking that will never get you over the hump. You don't want a top five talent on this team??? Ovie is a huge distraction and that situation is fine for Caps. The last star we had here was Ziggy, and guess what, he got us into the playoffs and gave us a chance every season, just live Kovi would.

We need that star player in LA. Us fans want it, the NHL needs it and who the **** wouldn't be very excited about this???
People that care more about winning a Stanley Cup than they do about watching a star player. Sorry, but Ziggy, and Ziggy alone, never gave us a chance of winning a cup.

I hope Lombardi stays the course. I am looking for something more along the lines of Whitney if the Kings are going to take on a rental for the rest of the season. I still think for the long term Dean has his eye on Marleau.

Old
01-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedkings View Post

Two seasons ago I thought that star was Kopitar.

But, he's still young and there's still time... (for Jim Hill and other local broadcasters to learn how to pronounce "Anze")

Closed Thread