HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

stick length

Old
01-20-2010, 10:59 PM
Blackjack

vCash: 500
stick length

So, I've always been a real strong skater, but handled the puck like a hand grenade. It was frustrating, and my teammates were always telling me to go solo but I didn't want to tell them I didn't have the skill for it.

On a random youtube search I saw this short video

I had always been taught to have the stick come up to your chin (when on skates, nose when not on skates). But I thought 'what the heck' and took a good inch-and-a-half / two inches off the top of the shaft.

Son of a gun, the very next game I was zipping around the ice with the puck glued to my blade. I didn't score but I had several chances and had by far my best game of the year.

Anyway, now I'm wondering how short I should go. Should I take another inch off it and see how I like that? Is there any kind of a rule of thumb for this kind of thing?

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:19 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

my brother is about 6 1 and uses a stick up to about mid to lower chest on skates, i use it alittle higher but im a bit taller

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:22 PM
SouthpawTRK

In theory, the more you shorten the length of the shaft, then you will lose flex. The rule of thumb is to have the stick around chin height (on skates) and to the bottom of your nose (not in skates). However, that is just a basic guideline which is not set in stone. I've read other posts where some players have their stick to their collarbone (in skates). I'm pretty sure that Brett Hull had his stick shorter than his chin in skates. While you may gain better puck handling ability, you might also have a shaft that is too stiff or too short if you are playing defense. If you decide to cut your stick shorter, you can always put a plug it if it turns out to be too short.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:39 PM
Hockeyfan68

It has been known for many many years that a shorter stick is better for stick handling and fiddle diddling in a phonebooth.

Shorter sticks are not better for shooting especially when a guy has a high flex and a short stick.

My stick goes up to my bottom lip on skates and I am good shooter. I also play defense and like the reach .... while I have an A+ shot my stickhandling is cement hands anyway and always has been even with really working on it.

There comes day when one must admit they just are not good at an aspect of their game. I'm "okay" at stickhandling for the plays that need to be made .... you know beat two guys to get the puck in the zone or what have you.

I'm not going to end to end beating all 5 players and then the goalie. A longer stick is absolutely crucial to my game as a defenseman though.

Basically what I am saying is that there are not any set rules and much of what you use for a stick length comes from YOUR own playing style.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:06 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Datsyuk, Lemieux, Lecavalier and several other great stickhandlers swear by long sticks. They prevent you from doing extreme pull in moves but you gain in radius of puck control, personally, I dangle best with a stick right above my chin on skates.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:19 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Datsyuk, Lemieux, Lecavalier and several other great stickhandlers swear by long sticks. They prevent you from doing extreme pull in moves but you gain in radius of puck control, personally, I dangle best with a stick right above my chin on skates.
buy datsyuk ateast uses a really high lie which enables him to keep the puck near his body and lets him stick handle around people

Old
01-21-2010, 02:35 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
buy datsyuk ateast uses a really high lie which enables him to keep the puck near his body and lets him stick handle around people
No he doesn't (didn't). I have had two of his pro stocks. They were like 5-5.5, medium rocker. He also generally carries the biscuit out ahead of him as much as he can!

Old
01-21-2010, 02:45 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
No he doesn't (didn't). I have had two of his pro stocks. They were like 5-5.5, medium rocker. He also generally carries the biscuit out ahead of him as much as he can!
i thought his reebok was a 6 lie, not that that means thats what he really uses

Old
01-21-2010, 09:34 AM
XxLidstromxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
It has been known for many many years that a shorter stick is better for stick handling and fiddle diddling in a phonebooth.

Shorter sticks are not better for shooting especially when a guy has a high flex and a short stick.

My stick goes up to my bottom lip on skates and I am good shooter. I also play defense and like the reach .... while I have an A+ shot my stickhandling is cement hands anyway and always has been even with really working on it.

There comes day when one must admit they just are not good at an aspect of their game. I'm "okay" at stickhandling for the plays that need to be made .... you know beat two guys to get the puck in the zone or what have you.

I'm not going to end to end beating all 5 players and then the goalie. A longer stick is absolutely crucial to my game as a defenseman though.

Basically what I am saying is that there are not any set rules and much of what you use for a stick length comes from YOUR own playing style.
This is exactly like me, my shooting is great but the stickhandling not so much
I have started working on my stickhandling and am steadily improving.

XxLidstromxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 09:43 AM
mgd150

I actually posted this in another thread, but I think it may be more appropriate here:

Im just starting to get into ice hockey, but I'm finding that most of the senior sticks seem too big and would probably be way too stiff if I was to cut them down significantly. I'm 5'8'' about 145 lbs, 24 years old. Should I be looking at intermediate sticks?

mgd150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Depends on how short you want them.

I'm 5'8 175 and prefer 75 flex seniors...intermediates are too small diameter for my tastes and they have too much whip/lag for my shot. I also cut them to the chin in skates.

What are you using now?

As for stick length, here's what I've written before:

How long of a stick should you use? The short answer is whatever you find the most comfortable, but there is a thought process behind this. The traditional recommendation for hockey players is to cut the stick off at the chin in skates or at the bottom of the nose in bare feet. This is a good starting place for most players.

There are benefits to shorter and longer sticks. Short sticks mean the puck is carried closer to the body, which helps players who like to carry the puck. It's also easier to control the stick as there is less distance between the blade and hands. Skilled forwards typically have a shorter stick for these reasons. A longer stick obviously helps players grab loose pucks and poke check further from the body. It can also help put more power on shots as a hockey stick acts like a lever when shooting. This is why you often see defensemen and checking forwards using longer sticks.

I've also watched the Meeker video (and a lot of his other vids, he's a very very smart guy and great teacher), but I found that with modern composite sticks, rockered blades, and with a curved blade, I like them a little longer. Notice that Meeker and his students are using sticks with no rocker and no curve...back in those days, you needed to cut the sticks short to get the blade flat on the ice.

When carrying the puck, it's usually out in front of me and I stickhandle with more of the heel. When shooting, I pull the puck closer and shoot from the mid/toe. I also roll my wrists to cup the puck, which makes the lie seem lower than it truly is.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:55 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
i thought his reebok was a 6 lie, not that that means thats what he really uses
Yeah, you're right about the retail but his pro stock is 5.25 or so. Pros usually use the opposite of their retail pattern

Old
01-21-2010, 01:44 PM
don28

I'm an exception to the norm. I play defense, but play with a short stick. My stick stops just under my chin in sneakers. I find that I have better stickhandling and wrist shots. I have adjusted my slapshots and pokechecking to the shorter length. I have also learned to skate backwards better to stay in front of the man and defend better.

don28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by don28 View Post
I'm an exception to the norm. I play defense, but play with a short stick. My stick stops just under my chin in sneakers. I find that I have better stickhandling and wrist shots. I have adjusted my slapshots and pokechecking to the shorter length. I have also learned to skate backwards better to stay in front of the man and defend better.
my brother plays defense also and uses a stick even shorter than you

Old
01-21-2010, 02:04 PM
don28

Quote:
my brother plays defense also and uses a stick even shorter than you
Cool! At least I'm not the only one out there.

don28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:09 PM
noobman

I prefer longer sticks.

It's easier to keep your head up because the puck is further away from your body while stickhandling, and not as far down in your peripheral vision.

I also prefer the longer stick b/c I play a power forward style of game. I usually just shield the puck with my body and skate around defensemen instead of trying a fancy move. The long reach helps to keep the opposing player from getting an errand poke at the puck with his (or her, but not very often) stick.

The longer stick also makes it easier to put the puck around a defenseman... IE pushing the puck to his left while you skate by him on his right.

A shorter stick helps you keep the puck in tight, and makes it more difficult for the defender to try a stick lift. I used to use a stick that fell about mid-chest, but later switched to a stick that falls underneath the chin and never switched back.

When I'm playing street hockey, I still prefer a stick that falls mid-chest. To each their own, I suppose... over a period of time you'll adjust to everything.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:56 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
I prefer longer sticks.

It's easier to keep your head up because the puck is further away from your body while stickhandling, and not as far down in your peripheral vision.

I also prefer the longer stick b/c I play a power forward style of game. I usually just shield the puck with my body and skate around defensemen instead of trying a fancy move. The long reach helps to keep the opposing player from getting an errand poke at the puck with his (or her, but not very often) stick.

The longer stick also makes it easier to put the puck around a defenseman... IE pushing the puck to his left while you skate by him on his right.

A shorter stick helps you keep the puck in tight, and makes it more difficult for the defender to try a stick lift. I used to use a stick that fell about mid-chest, but later switched to a stick that falls underneath the chin and never switched back.

When I'm playing street hockey, I still prefer a stick that falls mid-chest. To each their own, I suppose... over a period of time you'll adjust to everything.
Well said, my friend. One more thing about using a far shorter stick- it makes it easier to lift the puck. Anyone who makes a sudden change in stick length will find that out!

Old
01-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
That is why I use a long stick playing defense, it keeps the puck way away from people plus I am 6ft 4inches and the reach is just awesome to have.

I use a stick that fits my height. It goes up to my bottom lip on skates.

I use a 5.5 lie and like that lots, I have always used a 6 lie but they are hard to find and the 5.5 is pretty close not to mention I used a shorter stick then for the 6 lie. I still say some companies vary slightly in their lie ratings. I am not sure why but it is irritating to the buyer.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 02:05 AM
mbeam

Quote:
Do you know how long his pro stocks were?

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 03:23 AM
ponder

In the NHL I'd say that most guys use sticks that are at least a bit below the chin on skates, many about 1-2" or even more below the chin on skates, but some NHLers like longer sticks, above the chin on skates. Keep an eye on players during stoppages when they're standing on the ice by their bench, often you'll see them hold their stick vertically with the tip on the ground, and you can get an idea of how long they are. Here's Meeker's website on stick length, it shows the length of a lot of superstar's sticks:

http://www.cuthockeysticks.com/

Even modern guys like Crosby and Ovechkin use real short sticks, but then you have guys like Stamkos and Datsyuk who use longer ones, so it is definitely personal preference. Personally I have like my sticks vut to between my adams apple and collar bone on skates, but everyone may like them at different lengths. However, if you've always used sticks cut to your lips of even higher (on skates), dig out an old stick that you don't really care about and chop it down to about an inch or two below your chin (on skates). Test it out a couple times at stick and puck/shinny sessions, maybe you won't like it, but maybe you will!

And yeah, if you're trying to adjust to a new, shorter stick, and like everything but the flex, you'll probably have to go with something flexier. I'm 6', 180 lbs, and while I can use 85ish flex sticks, I prefer 75ish flex sticks, the 85ish flexes are just a bit hard for me to flex properly once cut down.

Last edited by ponder: 02-01-2011 at 03:36 AM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 09:15 AM
CGNY87

disregard...was gonna post the website listed above this post...should have read ahead LOL

CGNY87 is offline   Reply With Quote