HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

January 23, 2010 Parent injury update: surgery, out six weeks (post #65)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2010, 05:43 PM
  #51
freakydallas13
Registered User
 
freakydallas13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,146
vCash: 500
this is too bad, I liked parent and what he brought, but it is looking more and more like his career is coming to a stop very soon.

freakydallas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 05:46 PM
  #52
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,754
vCash: 500
God this medical staff in Philadelphia frighten me. How can they not get something in place to help Parent take care of his back? If he's got a disc problem, you'd figure at the very least they'd be monitoring him closely. Honest to goodness, the medical staff has to be the most incompetent group of individuals in professional sports. It's disgusting how many players in Philadelphia have been misdiagnosed or mistreated by the wonderful group of professionals who call themselves doctors. I hope that after this season, Snider has guts to fire every god damn one of them. Ridiculous.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 05:48 PM
  #53
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
When is Syvret projected to come back?
If memory serves, I think I read or heard that he could be back just before the Olympics.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 06:56 PM
  #54
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
God this medical staff in Philadelphia frighten me. How can they not get something in place to help Parent take care of his back? If he's got a disc problem, you'd figure at the very least they'd be monitoring him closely. Honest to goodness, the medical staff has to be the most incompetent group of individuals in professional sports. It's disgusting how many players in Philadelphia have been misdiagnosed or mistreated by the wonderful group of professionals who call themselves doctors. I hope that after this season, Snider has guts to fire every god damn one of them. Ridiculous.
I have to say, it seems very strange to me that a 22 year-old seems to have unsolvable back problems. Maybe 20-30 years ago, sure, but with today's techniques and the fact that he should be getting the best possible attention, I'm slightly surprised that apparently they can't find a solution.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:17 AM
  #55
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I have to say, it seems very strange to me that a 22 year-old seems to have unsolvable back problems. Maybe 20-30 years ago, sure, but with today's techniques and the fact that he should be getting the best possible attention, I'm slightly surprised that apparently they can't find a solution.
That's because the medical staff in Philadelphia are idiots. Seriously. They misdiagnosed Gagne's concussion in the 07-08 season as dehydration. They messed up Briere's groin and pelvic area last year and now this year, there was problems with Gagne's hip and groin and now Parent's back. What makes Parent's back issue inexcusible is that they knew about his back problems and they've done nothing to resolve them. Seriously, this is the most incompetent group of medical professionals in all of professional sports. When you're spending millions of dollars on players, do you not want to protect your investments? If so, then why the hell does Snider and company continue to employ a group of buffoons who probably couldn't diagnose a hang nail from a toe nail. That medical staff is absolutely frightening.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 07:27 AM
  #56
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
That's because the medical staff in Philadelphia are idiots. Seriously. They misdiagnosed Gagne's concussion in the 07-08 season as dehydration. They messed up Briere's groin and pelvic area last year and now this year, there was problems with Gagne's hip and groin and now Parent's back. What makes Parent's back issue inexcusible is that they knew about his back problems and they've done nothing to resolve them. Seriously, this is the most incompetent group of medical professionals in all of professional sports. When you're spending millions of dollars on players, do you not want to protect your investments? If so, then why the hell does Snider and company continue to employ a group of buffoons who probably couldn't diagnose a hang nail from a toe nail. That medical staff is absolutely frightening.
I'm sorry I just don't buy this stuff. Do any of us really know what they have and haven't done? "they knew about his back problems and they've done nothing to resolve them"? How do you know?

These people are doctors/trained professionals. Are there better ones out there? I'd bet my life on it. Are there worse ones? I'd bet my life on that.

What we are told, and what is actually happening is probably drastically different. They misdiagnosed Gagne's concussions as dehydration? Perhaps they were trying to be discreet.

I'm not trying to make excuses. The Flyers do have a history of annoying lingering, recurring problems. But we don't know anything! I'd bet other teams have the same issue to some degree but we don't follow other teams religiously so we don't know any better.

Maybe there is an issue with the training staff, but to act like it's so obvious and definitive is just extreme.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 07:41 AM
  #57
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
hopefully this is a misunderstanding and hes actually fine! suprise!

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 07:42 AM
  #58
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The Packers have ended Jason Spitz's season, placing the offensive lineman on injured reserve Saturday with a lower back injury that has been slow to heal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true
Quote:
The Philadelphia Eagles have placed two-time Pro Bowl offensive lineman Shawn Andrews on the injured reserve list due to his persistent back problem

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4474988
Quote:
The latest starter who could be gone for the remainder of the season is center Chris Spencer. The former first-round draft choice has a disc problem in his back that could lead to him being placed on injured reserve.

http://www.seattlepi.com/football/390240_hawk02.html
Quote:
Ruslan Salei (back) is still not skating. Salei has only played one game this season as he injured his back on October 8. He was skating a month ago but had a setback on Nov...

http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nhl/Ruslan_Salei/688543
Quote:
Gary Christian has made thousands of trips to the chiropractor, but none as unusual and desperate as the mad dash he made Thursday during -- yes, during -- the first round of the inaugural Nationwide Tour Players Cup at Pete Dye Golf Club in West Virginia.

Christian sought and received permission from a Nationwide Tour official to make a pit stop in the clubhouse between nines, where the healing hands of Dr. Scott K. Romesburg Jr. awaited to apply a quick adjustment to the L3, L4 and L5 region in Christian's aching lower back.

http://ww.pgatour.com/2008/h/07/15/l...ian/index.html
Quote:
Carl Paulson doesn't want his professional golf career to be over.

But if his back doesn't cooperate, it just might be.

The 37-year-old PGA Tour player has been shelved for three years by recurring back pain. There is no timetable for a comeback, either.

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/07/anot...k-can-stand-it
Boy those incompetent so-called doctors the Flyers use sure do get around.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 07:55 AM
  #59
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Boy those incompetent so-called doctors the Flyers use sure do get around.
Thanks JXC. I find you and I to have similar minds.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 09:05 AM
  #60
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,759
vCash: 500
If he's hurt, LTIR him and get that money, albeit not a lot, to work with. We don't want Homer to do what he did with Jones -- not do anything, don't get a competent replacement, then let him play when it's clear that he's not even close to 100%

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:42 AM
  #61
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
If he's hurt, LTIR him and get that money, albeit not a lot, to work with. We don't want Homer to do what he did with Jones -- not do anything, don't get a competent replacement, then let him play when it's clear that he's not even close to 100%
The issue with that is what if it turns out he's ready 5 games into LTIRing him? Then you need to wait out the remaining IIRC 5 games. Or we get another Upshall situation. People get hurt, we LTIR them, we replace them, people get healthy they come back, we have no money.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:52 AM
  #62
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 107,509
vCash: 6115
That's why you replace them with players from the minors, and not making a panic trade like we did last year.

If he misses an extra 5 games, at least you know he's ready to go and is less likely to aggravate the injury, or sooner at least.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:37 PM
  #63
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
That's because the medical staff in Philadelphia are idiots. Seriously. They misdiagnosed Gagne's concussion in the 07-08 season as dehydration. They messed up Briere's groin and pelvic area last year and now this year, there was problems with Gagne's hip and groin and now Parent's back. What makes Parent's back issue inexcusible is that they knew about his back problems and they've done nothing to resolve them. Seriously, this is the most incompetent group of medical professionals in all of professional sports. When you're spending millions of dollars on players, do you not want to protect your investments? If so, then why the hell does Snider and company continue to employ a group of buffoons who probably couldn't diagnose a hang nail from a toe nail. That medical staff is absolutely frightening.
22 year old defenseman, in the 5th/6th/bubble of a position on this team, gets a back injury? And they're just finding now it's "slow to heal" and may require surgery.

Just gonna say what we're all thinking.

A doctor is only as good as the information the patient gives him.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:14 AM
  #64
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I'm sorry I just don't buy this stuff. Do any of us really know what they have and haven't done? "they knew about his back problems and they've done nothing to resolve them"? How do you know?

These people are doctors/trained professionals. Are there better ones out there? I'd bet my life on it. Are there worse ones? I'd bet my life on that.

What we are told, and what is actually happening is probably drastically different. They misdiagnosed Gagne's concussions as dehydration? Perhaps they were trying to be discreet.

I'm not trying to make excuses. The Flyers do have a history of annoying lingering, recurring problems. But we don't know anything! I'd bet other teams have the same issue to some degree but we don't follow other teams religiously so we don't know any better.

Maybe there is an issue with the training staff, but to act like it's so obvious and definitive is just extreme.
It'd be different if there weren't history of the incompetence of the medical staff. But it goes right back to the Lindros days in terms of incompetence.

Seriously, the way the medical staff has mishandled injuries is a legitimate concern and should send red flags when guys who should only be out for a short period of time are missing big chunks of time because either the medical staff have missed something completely or because they've allowed a player on the ice too quickly.

I still remember after the 07-08 season when Gagne got a radio station in Montreal and tore the medical staff a new one about how they dealt with his concussion. And no, the dehydration diagnosis wasn't about being discreet. They clearly thought he was suffering from dehydration when Gagne knew all along it was something else and told them as much.

As for Parent, this is a guy who had known back issues, right back from his last season in junior hockey. This is a guy that the medical staff had to be leery of and keep a close eye on and ensure that things were ok. They failed.

And if you really want to get into it, look at how every offseason some player from within the organization is always getting something done with their hips. And look at how long it takes for them to recover. And then look at how they end up injuring something else.

As for back injuries, look no further than how they treated John LeClair's back injury. Yes, LeClair had surgery by a different doctor, but the medical staff was responsible for the after care and LeClair ended up getting a staph infection that nearly caused him to lose the use of his legs. That was under the watchful eye of the organization's doctors and medical staff.

Need I go on? Because there's more medical incompetence that this medical staff has been a part of, yet they still remain to be hired on by the organization to this very day. It's absolutely scary how this franchise's medical staff treats the players.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:59 PM
  #65
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 107,509
vCash: 6115
NHLFlyers

Flyers defenseman Ryan Parent will miss approx. 6 weeks; he will undergo surgery Monday to remove a disc fragment from his lumbar spine. 4 minutes ago from TweetDeck

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...r_surgery.html

Quote:

Defenseman Ryan Parent will miss six weeks after undergoing back surgery Monday, the Flyers announced after Saturday's 4-2 win over Carolina.

Parent will have surgery to remove a disc fragment from his lumbar spine, GM Paul Holmgren said.

The surgery will be performed by Dr. Scott Rushton at Lankenau Hospital in Wynnewood.

"After running the gamut with Ryan in terms of different things we have tried to relieve the discomfort, we felt this was the way to go for Ryan’s overall health," Holmgren said. "The surgery is minimally invasive."

Parent, 22, has missed the last 14 games due to injury. So far this season, he has registered two assists and 14 penalty minutes in 28 appearances with the Flyers.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/f...e_surgery.html

Quote:
In a move that was completely unsurprising, the Flyers announced on Saturday that defensemanRyan Parent will undergo back surgery on Monday.

The Daily News first reported on Jan. 4 that Parent has a herniated disc in his lower back that could possibly need surgery.

Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren refuted the claim the following day.

"Ryan Parent will have surgery on Monday, January 25th to remove a disc fragment from his lumbar spine," Holmgren said Saturday in a statement.

Holmgren acknowledged last week that Parent, 22, had suffered "setbacks" in his effort to try and play through the injury. Parent has missed the last 14 games and has not skated with the team since Dec. 26.

The fact that Parent's disc was herniated - past the point of "bulging" as it was when the Flyers first acquired him from Nashville in Feb. 2007 - left the Flyers little options.

Parent missed 23 games in 2006-07, his final year of juniors with the Guelph Storm, because of the bulging disc.


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-23-2010 at 05:21 PM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:05 PM
  #66
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
My post from January 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I call total BS on this, Homer has no idea how long he'll be out and I'm guessing 3-4 weeks minimum.

Anytime you say a guy is fine and then mention that he's seeing another doctor, that's not a good sign.
Today's post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
NHLFlyers

Flyers defenseman Ryan Parent will miss approx. 6 weeks; he will undergo surgery Monday to remove a disc fragment from his lumbar spine. 4 minutes ago from TweetDeck
The incompetency of the organization never ceases to amaze. Apparently it took 5 weeks to figure out that Parent needed an operation and it will take a further 6 for him to recover.

Great times.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 06:17 PM
  #67
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,477
vCash: 500
Hopefully if this is just a disk fragment it's not a long term injury. The Olympic break will help and with the team playing well right now it's not as bad as it would have been a month ago.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 06:38 PM
  #68
lancer247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,878
vCash: 500
If they would have made the decision at the begining of the month he would be done the 6 weeks mid February and could have used the Olympic break to get in shape. They did the same thing last season with his shoulder.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 07:09 PM
  #69
CptCannon
Registered User
 
CptCannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,970
vCash: 500
This makes things difficult thinking of TDL.

Pronger+Carle+Timonen+Coburn being the TOP4, theeen if Parent doesn't get back to his maximum play after the injure (danger of healing doesn't happen very well + he's very rusty after not being able to play for rather long time + etc)... yeah we're stuck with two out of OKT/Syvret/Bartulis being the bottom D-pair, scares me abit.

If Homer would like to play it the safe way he'd get us that cheap veteran bottom 3-6 spot defenseman.
Let's see what he's gonna do now.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 07:20 PM
  #70
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRiles View Post
This makes things difficult thinking of TDL.

Pronger+Carle+Timonen+Coburn being the TOP4, theeen if Parent doesn't get back to his maximum play after the injure (danger of healing doesn't happen very well + he's very rusty after not being able to play for rather long time + etc)... yeah we're stuck with two out of OKT/Syvret/Bartulis being the bottom D-pair, scares me abit.

If Homer would like to play it the safe way he'd get us that cheap veteran bottom 3-6 spot defenseman.
Let's see what he's gonna do now.
My gut says he's going to re-acquire Andrew Alberts.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 07:56 PM
  #71
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,870
vCash: 500
Any word on Syvret?

I'm starting to panic when Tollefsen is on the ice.

CS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 08:39 PM
  #72
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
waited all this time............

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 08:52 PM
  #73
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,509
vCash: 500
This medical staff is downright awful. 5 weeks to diagnose the injury.


They are incompetant

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 09:08 PM
  #74
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,338
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Any word on Syvret?

I'm starting to panic when Tollefsen is on the ice.
You and I both, Chris.

I wouldn't be surprise to see the Flyers run after someone at the deadline. By God we need someone.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 09:26 PM
  #75
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
You and I both, Chris.

I wouldn't be surprise to see the Flyers run after someone at the deadline. By God we need someone.
At this point I'd be willing to let Lehtivuori, Bourdon, or Marshall get a shot.

Tollefsen has been one dangerous situation after another.

I feel bad for the kid battling those injuries, but this playoff team has no place for him.

CS is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.