HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laraque to be Bought Out by Habs

Old
01-21-2010, 10:56 AM
saints96

vCash: 500
Sad to see him go cuz hes a good guy, but he wasnt useful anymore to our team so its the right move. Good luck with everything BGL.

saints96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Bitterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Desparate move by a desparate GM?

So Gainey signs him to a ridiculous contract, they don't use him at all and buy his contract out in the middle of the season with a cap hit of 500k for the next 2 years, when we'll need every penny to fit under the cap.

... what's next? Halak for a 4th rounder or future considerations?
Don't understand things much? He's being paid to stay home... at full salary. Buyout is this summer, not now. IF Laraque would actually do his job and stick up for his team he would have been worth the money but a goon that refuses to fight is useless. The Rangers game was the final straw.

Bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:58 AM
sampollock

FUNNY, how eck did not break this story????

any way, big geo, did not play the role, we wanted

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
His uselessness in the Rangers game was the last string.
The Rangers game was the last straw for me and I guess Gainey too.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:00 AM
habs24

Better be picking up a toughguy for replacement or the little Habs are going to be getting more beatings like they took in the last couple games. Hope Price puts on the foil next game. I don't mind Laraque being bought out but I do hope they have a capable replacement in mind. And none of this White/Stewart talk. They couldn't fight their way up Crescent St. on a windy day. I watched White get beat up the other day by some Russiun kid that was his first ever fight. Jeez I think Laraque was correct in saying that JM doesn't like toughness. The HAbs little guys are going to be in for a rough ride

habs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ThaDevilGirl

No more Laraque! No more Laraque!!!! Wooo!

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
25th

Classless?

« Jacques Martin ne m'aime pas et ne croit pas au jeu robuste », a déclaré Laraque à TSN.

JM doesn't like you cause your play stinks and HELLO, you don't play a physical game BGL, you just show up for staged fights...

« Me faire ça pendant tout ce qui se passe à Haïti, ça manque de classe. Le 'timing' ne pourrait être pire. »

Rapport man! The Habs should have kept you around longer JUST because your parents are from Haiti and it's hell down there now?

C'mon man!

25th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
His uselessness in the Rangers game was the last string.

Too bad; the Habs are in dire need of grits and size upfront and I still think that Martin misused him (only one 12 seconds shift in the 3rd) against the Rangers; especially when the score was 5-2, 6-2 in the 3rd against a conference rival that was playing the intimidation card.

That being mentioned, Laraque is quickly becoming "borderline useless": a lot of talks (he does not like to fight, The Code of fighters and all that crap!) and near zero action (hits/fights) on the ice.

A good smart man but he was unable (unwilling?), when healthy, to help his team.

So… we are getting even smaller eh? I think we should rename the Canadiens… what about the "Boy Scouts of Montreal"?

One last note: Martin told Gainey that he can win without a goon…

PS Martin seems unable to extract the best of his physical players: Latendresse, Chipchura, Mara, Laraque, Lapierre, Moen, Stewart… is it just me or someone else share this interpretation/opinion?

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:04 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Damn that NMC sucks, wish they coulda waived him down to minors where he belongs. I don't want the habs stuck with a buyout cap hit, every cap $ counts.
I am pretty sure the NMC was only for the first season, after that it was a list of 6 teams in both the Eastern Conference and Western Conference that he will accept a trade to.

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Netro

To me, no teams need a "fighter" per se. I don't equate toughness with fighting. I want players who play tough.

I never was in favour of this signing and this is Gainey cutting losses with a mistake. It saves the Habs a million on the cap next year, a year when the team is stressed for cap space. The additional $500K in 2 seasons should be easier to manage.

All I want out of a 4th line is a great work ethic, energy and toughness. Again, not necessarily fighting but a line that probably plays 8-10 min and can help set the tone. Offense not required. Ryan White really fits the bill to me.

We all know the top 2 lines when healthy are:
Camm-Pleks-A.Kosty
Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta

And these 2 lines have proven they can score (granted, not at the same time due to injuries)

I want a third line that can bang a little, play shutdown D and add some offense. With the exception of Moen, all candidates for this line are having sub-par years. I think ideally, if players would play to their potential, it would be something like:

Pacioretty-Lapierre-S.Kosty

This leaves the 4th line as:

Moen-Metro-White

The extra at this point is D'agostini

This has the potential to be good and allow Martin to roll 4 lines to keep everyone (esp the smaller forwards) fresh

It's not the top 6 forwards or the goaltending hurting this team. It is the lack of anything from the bottom 6 forwards and some spotty defensive zone play

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:06 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I wonder why they did that today or whatever. Do we need some dough. I was a fan of BGL and an apologist for him over the course of the year. I suppose the detractors were right and BGL has been around the block too many times.

I wonder if he is done. He'd make a good TV personality.

Also, I'm anti-Gainey now.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:06 AM
zx81

Does that mean a trade is in the works ?
I hope so.

Vinny?

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:08 AM
DougHarvey

here come the Halak for Carcillo rumours

DougHarvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:09 AM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
Does that mean a trade is in the works ?
I hope so.

Vinny?
omg, Ryder Halak + 2nd AGAIN

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:10 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro View Post
To me, no teams need a "fighter" per se. I don't equate toughness with fighting. I want players who play tough.

I never was in favour of this signing and this is Gainey cutting losses with a mistake. It saves the Habs a million on the cap next year, a year when the team is stressed for cap space. The additional $500K in 2 seasons should be easier to manage.

All I want out of a 4th line is a great work ethic, energy and toughness. Again, not necessarily fighting but a line that probably plays 8-10 min and can help set the tone. Offense not required. Ryan White really fits the bill to me.

We all know the top 2 lines when healthy are:
Camm-Pleks-A.Kosty
Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta

And these 2 lines have proven they can score (granted, not at the same time due to injuries)

I want a third line that can bang a little, play shutdown D and add some offense. With the exception of Moen, all candidates for this line are having sub-par years. I think ideally, if players would play to their potential, it would be something like:

Pacioretty-Lapierre-S.Kosty

This leaves the 4th line as:

Moen-Metro-White

The extra at this point is D'agostini

This has the potential to be good and allow Martin to roll 4 lines to keep everyone (esp the smaller forwards) fresh

It's not the top 6 forwards or the goaltending hurting this team. It is the lack of anything from the bottom 6 forwards and some spotty defensive zone play
Why do San Jose and Pittsburgh have these types of players but we can't seem to use one?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:11 AM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
I am pretty sure the NMC was only for the first season, after that it was a list of 6 teams in both the Eastern Conference and Western Conference that he will accept a trade to.
Yes, I can't find any references to an NMC past the first year. If he just has a NTC, I'm confused as to why the team didn't just waive him.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:13 AM
felixd

What we need isn't a goon like Laraque/Boogaard/Godard...what we need is a tough guy who can skate and contribute in other parts of the game and who will still defend his teammates. More like a Rypien/Neil/Ott player. Unfortunately, those players are not very easy to come by and teams tend to hang on to them when they have a good one.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Bill McNeal

And with those parting shots, Laraque surpasses Sergei Samsonov as my most hated Hab of all-time.

Good riddance.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Daice

So I guess O'byrne is better on the 4th line than Laraque ever was.

anyway, great person, awful bench warmer

Daice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

I hope this doesn't discourage Gainey from getting another enforcer. There are a lot of guys in the A that would fight 20 times a season for the league minimum.

68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:16 AM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHarvey View Post
Call up Nielson
Every time you post it makes me happy...I get to see your avatar

CastroLeRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Harpo
Lyle forever

Haïti: Laraque's goal might not be enough (In french, sorry):

http://www.mauvaisoeil.com/2010/01/h...as-suffir.html

"Stats for Georges Laraque are now one goal for Haiti and 61 ****** games for the Canadiens."

Guess that's his final stats after all...

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Schooner Guy

For all those who are complaining about BGL's contract and NMC..... At the time of the signing, the Oilers actually offered him more money and longer term.

BGL really became a useless player. Has he fought more than once this season? The coach doesn't trust him on the ice and this has been reflected in his 3-5 minutes of TOI/G (and rightfully so). I'm amazed he was even dressing in recent weeks. The Habs will be a better team without him. The organization did the right thing today.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Matt Carkner: 500K, 22 fights.
Georges Laraque: 1.5M, 4 fights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngc_5128 View Post
His stat line tells it all: 21 hits in 28 games and 4 fighting majors.
The two posts above are unquestionably the response to the whole Laraque = tough fallacy. He does not bring toughness. End of discussion.

Once again, bad pro talent evaluation by the Habs. Fire that entire staff. And for the first time I will say it out loud, Gainey's ability to judge his staff's work (i.e. coaches, pro scouts etc) must be questioned.

How many mistakes in Pro Player evaluations and contracts can not go unanswered.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:19 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
For all those who are complaining about BGL's contract and NMC..... At the time of the signing, the Oilers actually offered him more money and longer term.

BGL really became a useless player. Has he fought more than once this season? The coach doesn't trust him on the ice and this has been reflected in his 3-5 minutes of TOI/G (and rightfully so). I'm amazed he was even dressing in recent weeks. The Habs will be a better team without him. The organization did the right thing today.
They are a better team with 2 defensemen playing on the 4th line? You've got to be kidding...

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote