Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

09/10 Windsor Spitfires

Old
01-20-2010, 09:06 AM
JL17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Some people are getting the idea I think Windsor's star players deserve special protection or something from the refs, that's not what I meant. Obviously the refs are supposed to protect all the players, that is without question. However as one of Windsor's star players, if the refs are not calling penalties to protect him it forces Windsor to take action to protect him themselves. Maybe its by running the other teams star to get them to back off, or maybe its just an old fashioned beat down. Obviously if Derek Lanou gets roughed up, the team is less likely to go ape about it than if its their meal ticket. My point about the refs protecting star players has to do with the fact that they pay the bills, not the 4th line scrubs and when they have liberties taken with them it usually degenerates much like the game against the Sault did.
Windsor is not doing themselves any favours by yapping off at the refs as much as they do. The constant yapping goes against you. If Hall or any Spitfire including the coaches didn't say a bo to the refs you'd see a huge difference in how they're reffed. Getting on the refs for every little thing gets on the their nerves and that's when you see none calls or cheap calls go against you. If I'm Windsor I shut up and talk to the refs only when need be and stop showing them up with you think there may have been a penalty there just keep playing through it.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:53 AM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
Windsor is not doing themselves any favours by yapping off at the refs as much as they do. The constant yapping goes against you. If Hall or any Spitfire including the coaches didn't say a bo to the refs you'd see a huge difference in how they're reffed. Getting on the refs for every little thing gets on the their nerves and that's when you see none calls or cheap calls go against you. If I'm Windsor I shut up and talk to the refs only when need be and stop showing them up with you think there may have been a penalty there just keep playing through it.

Exactly! I've heard from OHL off ice officials who converse with refs and linesmen frequently before games that the Spits coaching staff are by far the worst in the OHL for whining and complaining about each and every call against them.

If that is the consensus among the on-ice officials, it can't be good for the Spits. Refs are supposed to be impartial, but it's human nature to not always make calls in favour of the player who is always diving and/or always laying around imbellishing in an effort to draw penalties. Therefore, it only makes sense that the players/coaches who are always screaming and bawling and crying and complaining in the refs' ear game in and game out receive a little less in the way of calls in their favour.

Perhaps BB and his buddies should tone it down and just play through it and you may get a few calls go you way. Dale Hunter used to be one of the worst when it came to trying to show up the officials with his antics and it eventually led to suspensions. I may be wrong, but in the last few years, at least when the Knights visit Kitchener, he's toned down his act considerably to the point where he isn't the sideshow he used to be.

Maybe the Spits can learn from their rival up the 401!

EvenSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:27 AM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
Exactly! I've heard from OHL off ice officials who converse with refs and linesmen frequently before games that the Spits coaching staff are by far the worst in the OHL for whining and complaining about each and every call against them.

If that is the consensus among the on-ice officials, it can't be good for the Spits. Refs are supposed to be impartial, but it's human nature to not always make calls in favour of the player who is always diving and/or always laying around imbellishing in an effort to draw penalties. Therefore, it only makes sense that the players/coaches who are always screaming and bawling and crying and complaining in the refs' ear game in and game out receive a little less in the way of calls in their favour.

Perhaps BB and his buddies should tone it down and just play through it and you may get a few calls go you way. Dale Hunter used to be one of the worst when it came to trying to show up the officials with his antics and it eventually led to suspensions. I may be wrong, but in the last few years, at least when the Knights visit Kitchener, he's toned down his act considerably to the point where he isn't the sideshow he used to be.

I wanted to bring up Dale and what I've seen over the last 5 years but I didn't but now that you bring it up it's like night and day in London. Especially the last two years. Yes he still gets mad but he rarely say anything anymore. He'll ask to talk to a ref if there's a problem but he's stopped what BB and co. are doing in Windsor right now. It's a night and day difference interms off penalties called as well.

Old
01-20-2010, 11:33 AM
aresknights

Quote:
I wanted to bring up Dale and what I've seen over the last 5 years but I didn't but now that you bring it up it's like night and day in London. Especially the last two years. Yes he still gets mad but he rarely say anything anymore. He'll ask to talk to a ref if there's a problem but he's stopped what BB and co. are doing in Windsor right now. It's a night and day difference interms off penalties called as well.
Its probably a maturity thing. And I dont mean that in a bad way. Both ownership/management groups are ultra competitive. The Hunters learned thru experience that BB and WR have yet to gather. How many times have Mark and dale been suspended? Im sure the longer they are around the less youll see of this behavour. Save it for the big issues. If your barking all the time it loses its bite.

aresknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 02:26 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post

What's the big deal with coaches conversing with linesman and referees? I would be really upset if my coaches weren't doing that. It's all about gamesmanship and trying to get that next call and fighting for your players out on the ice. I would be disappointed if my coaches weren't fighting for my players.

RayzorIsDull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 02:32 PM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
What's the big deal with coaches conversing with linesman and referees? I would be really upset if my coaches weren't doing that. It's all about gamesmanship and trying to get that next call and fighting for your players out on the ice. I would be disappointed if my coaches weren't fighting for my players.
Conversing is fine once in a while. But it's a constant thing in Windsor. The games last year against London BB was having a chat or yelling at the refs every opportunity he got which made him seem like he never shut up. The guy sitting infront of me use to ask did I miss something why is Bob so angry....I didn't have an answer because I saw nothing but a certain player get hit or a battle infront of the net happened with standard pushing and shoving involved.

If he just let things happen he'd be better off....How far did Crosby whining get him??? It got him a bad rep and alot of non calls. That is exactly what is happening right now in Windsor with the coaching staff and the players.

Old
01-20-2010, 02:36 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Conversing is fine once in a while. But it's a constant thing in Windsor. The games last year against London BB was having a chat or yelling at the refs every opportunity he got which made him seem like he never shut up. The guy sitting infront of me use to ask did I miss something why is Bob so angry....I didn't have an answer because I saw nothing but a certain player get hit or a battle infront of the net happened with nothing involved.

If he just let things happen he'd be better off....How far did Crosby whining get him??? It got him a bad rep and alot of non calls. That is exactly what is happening right now in Windsor with the coaching staff and the players.
I think that's bs that it doesn't help Windsor. They won the Memorial Cup last year and had the most PP opportunities in the OHL last year. People point to the downside but never look at the positives and if my team is getting a lot of PP's that's a good thing. I find it funny you point to Crosby and Windsor but the Pens and Spitfires are the reigning champs in each league.

Old
01-20-2010, 02:44 PM
JL17

Quote:
I think that's bs that it doesn't help Windsor. They won the Memorial Cup last year and had the most PP opportunities in the OHL last year. People point to the downside but never look at the positives and if my team is getting a lot of PP's that's a good thing. I find it funny you point to Crosby and Windsor but the Pens and Spitfires are the reigning champs in each league.
I think if the coaches and players played through this stuff you'd have even more PP's. Im sure if you asked 19 other teams fans you'd hear the samething. Windsor fans won't see it because your Windsor fans. Do you thing the refs like watching a player Hall or Ellis get hit cleanly then get an earfull because they got hit??? NO...Same goes for other players. How many times does Ellis look at the ref at he hits the ice??? Almost 99% of the time...then he starts yapping and raising his hands. Hall the same, Young, Cundari, Mitchell and so on.

Don't get me wrong you guys have a great team but look at it from a refs perspective for a second instead of a Spitfire fan. You'll see a difference.

Old
01-20-2010, 02:50 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
I think if the coaches and players played through this stuff you'd have even more PP's. Im sure if you asked 19 other teams fans you'd hear the samething. Windsor fans won't see it because your Windsor fans. Do you thing the refs like watching a player Hall or Ellis get hit cleanly then get an earfull because they got hit??? NO...Same goes for other players. How many times does Ellis look at the ref at he hits the ice??? Almost 99% of the time...then he starts yapping and raising his hands. Hall the same, Young, Cundari, Mitchell and so on.

Don't get me wrong you guys have a great team but look at it from a refs perspective for a second instead of a Spitfire fan. You'll see a difference.
I watched guys like Corey Perry and Rob Schremp whine to officials all the time. I didn't like it but I also realized that it's just part of the game and they ended up getting a lot of calls going their way in the end.

Old
01-20-2010, 02:58 PM
JL17

Quote:
I watched guys like Corey Perry and Rob Schremp whine to officials all the time. I didn't like it but I also realized that it's just part of the game and they ended up getting a lot of calls going their way in the end.
I wouldn't say alot. They also got alot of calls against them...diving and so on...Still put yourself in the refs shoes. I have no problem about discussing a 5 min major, disallowed goal or situation like what happened in the Soo game but it's everything else they could forget about.

Old
01-20-2010, 03:00 PM
hockeygirl771

The Mississauga coach also does a lot of complaining to the reps.

hockeygirl771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 03:05 PM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl771 View Post
The Mississauga coach also does a lot of complaining to the reps.
I haven't seen enough of him to comment on him. I just know from playing it never helped to whine. It helped to have a civil convo with him.

Old
01-20-2010, 10:25 PM
dispatch50

lets look how branch and his staff are to old for this game. henrique gets a 5 game suspension for jumping and fighting during the play in the soo game but yet nolan who did the samething but during the stoppage when the refs where handing out a plenty jumps mitchell injuries him and gets nothing.

branch truely needs to leave the game.

dispatch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:15 PM
Andrew Sykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispatch50 View Post
lets look how branch and his staff are to old for this game. henrique gets a 5 game suspension for jumping and fighting during the play in the soo game but yet nolan who did the samething but during the stoppage when the refs where handing out a plenty jumps mitchell injuries him and gets nothing.

Nolan didn't jump Mitchell thats why he didn't get anything. If you watch the video you can see Mitchell actually makes contact with him first and then Nolan engaged and landed on top of him. It was an obvious mistake by the referee to give Nolan the instigator and thats why he didn't end up getting anything. And to say that David Branch needs to go is simply rediculous. He has done great things for the OHL and actually the game hockey because he has been the first person to truly really try and eliminate things like head shots and dangerous fights. When Don Sanderson died, Branch made the rule that a fight must stop when a players helmet gets knocked, the NHL did nothing. He also has showed balls in suspending guys like Liambas for dirty head shots while again the NHL has done nothing about them.

Last edited by Andrew Sykes: 01-20-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Andrew Sykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:28 AM
Spitfire14

I miss Watson! That is all.

Spitfire14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:03 AM
JL17

Quote:

Well I hate to burst your bubble but when I watched the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeG6wg9RUE8

At the 23 second mark Mitchell bumps Nolan and at this point when things start to happen Mitchells gloves are off as seen in the video and Nolans gloves are on while his stick is still in his hand. So who jump who. Mitchells gloves are off.

Watch the video and stop it and start it during 23 and 24 seconds. You'll get your answer to this question.

Old
01-21-2010, 10:22 AM
1hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire14 View Post
I've seen him interviewed a couple times and have seen him play. He's fitting in nicely in Peterborough and seems genuinely happy to be here despite his family being so far away. The fans really welcomed him here, too. Let's hope our scouts use the two draft picks wisely.

1hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:38 AM
aresknights

Quote:

Looked to me during the game(and supported by video highlights) that Mitchell finally got called on his antics. He plays the pest and likes to stir the pot but rarely steps up to answer when called on. I think he just picked the wrong guy to play with. It was just an unlucky fall. I wonder if this injury will temper his play on the ice or if hell continue the shannanigins. That style can be effective for some, Im just not a big fan of the yappy,glove in face never step up type. Hes got great speed and a good shot, Im just not a fan of his.

Quote:
If its done on a continous basis it does lose some of its effectiveness. Its just natural. Lets remember WR and BB are still green as far as experience at this job. They are full of passion and very competitive. Im sure they will get more effective at "influencing" refs as the careers go on. The have done a great job drafting,coaching,building and will continue Im sure.

Old
01-21-2010, 10:43 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Understandable for sure. The kids going to be a good one. Its all part of having a top notch team. When you have so much quality depth and are making moves to get older/more talented for a cup run youre going to lose some top end young players. Im sure as the years go on, many a former Spit will have impacts on many OHL teams. It can really be frustrating seeing a kid you drafted succeed somewhere else, but thems the trials of sitting atop the mountain

Old
01-21-2010, 12:40 PM
jughead42

I have no problem with the Windsor coaches talking to the refs but I have a huge problem with the players doing it too much. The whole Auger vs Vancouver situation and Augers lack of punishment for his actions should be a stark reminder to the players on the Spitfires that they are better off keeping their yaps shut. For an OHL ref its a lot easier to justify taking abuse from an OHL coach who's a former NHL player and well respected than it is to justify taking greif from some snot nosed kid. Let Boughner deal with it and just play hockey. Without question Dale Mitchell has been the biggest offender in this regard so far this season. Rarely does his shift end without words for an official.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Spitfire14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Understandable for sure. The kids going to be a good one. Its all part of having a top notch team. When you have so much quality depth and are making moves to get older/more talented for a cup run youre going to lose some top end young players. Im sure as the years go on, many a former Spit will have impacts on many OHL teams. It can really be frustrating seeing a kid you drafted succeed somewhere else, but thems the trials of sitting atop the mountain
I am rooting for him to succeed with the Petes. This year he became my favourite Spitfire. The Petes have slid into the spot of my 2nd favourite team now and I will be rooting for them in the east. I hope Watson does well and I would love to see him get drafted as high as possible. Like I have said numerous times, I think he if not the best shot blocker in the OHL, he has to be top 5. The Spits are going to need people to step up and block the shots that he would.

Blacker on the other hand, I kind of wanted to fail. Just because he asked to be traded and he thought he was the best D our team had. Watson was willing to play any role we asked of him. I was looking forward to see him on our top line next year.

Old
01-21-2010, 02:31 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
I am rooting for him to succeed with the Petes. This year he became my favourite Spitfire. The Petes have slid into the spot of my 2nd favourite team now and I will be rooting for them in the east. I hope Watson does well and I would love to see him get drafted as high as possible. Like I have said numerous times, I think he if not the best shot blocker in the OHL, he has to be top 5. The Spits are going to need people to step up and block the shots that he would.

Blacker on the other hand, I kind of wanted to fail. Just because he asked to be traded and he thought he was the best D our team had. Watson was willing to play any role we asked of him. I was looking forward to see him on our top line next year.
I never wish bad upon any Spitfire with the exception of Akim Aliu. I wish Blacker would have been more patient but players have to make the choice they believe is best. Instead of being upset at Blacker I prefer to laud Rychel for his ability to draft. Here are all his draft picks either drafted or about to be drafted.

Nemisz
Henrique
Cundari-contract
Wellwood
Hackett
Hall
Ellis
Blacker
Wilson
Yogan
Ryan
Fowler
Watson
Johns
Campbell

Granted not all got drafted out of Windsor but his scouts sure have an eye for talent.

Old
01-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Spitfire14

Quote:
I never wish bad upon any Spitfire with the exception of Akim Aliu. I wish Blacker would have been more patient but players have to make the choice they believe is best. Instead of being upset at Blacker I prefer to laud Rychel for his ability to draft. Here are all his draft picks either drafted or about to be drafted.

Nemisz
Henrique
Cundari-contract
Wellwood
Hackett
Hall
Ellis
Blacker
Wilson
Yogan
Ryan
Fowler
Watson
Johns
Campbell

Granted not all got drafted out of Windsor but his scouts sure have an eye for talent.
Panik and Loktionov were his import picks both drafted by Rychel. Along with Tom Kuhnackl (sp?) who could possibly be a 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder.

In the 2006 OHL draft, Windsor drafted 5 guys who were later drafted in the NHL.
(Nemisz 1st rounder)
In the 2007 OHL draft, Windsor drafted 6 guys who were later drafter in the NHL.
(Hall and Ellis is the 1st rd, Ryan, Blacker in the 2nd rd, Yogan probably will go in the first 2 rounds, and then Wilson was 4th rd)
In the 2008 OHL draft, Rychel drafted 3 guys who MAY go in the first rd (Watson, Fowler and Campbell) but almost for sure in the first 2 rounds. I don't know much about Johns but you say he is getting drafted, I am not sure where he ranks.

That seems pretty impressive to me.

Old
01-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Spitfire14

Spitfires shorthanded right now. Henrique, Kassian are suspended.. Johnston, Mitchell injured. Hall sore groin.

James Woodcroft who left the team earlier this year when the Spits sent him down will be playing tomorrow night in Kitchener. A game that I will be attending.

Old
01-22-2010, 02:45 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Yogan, Watson, and Brassard

This is going to come back to Haunt, these kids are big skilled guy's who can play for two or three more years, I think the Petes were happy to get rid of Kassian and knew it was only a matter of time before he went over the line.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote