HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Richards vs Media Confrontation:

Old
01-21-2010, 03:42 PM
IrishSniper87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
So in no uncertain words, you're saying that instead of trying to clear things up in the locker room, you would go and openly throw your captain under the bus? On top of the fact that it's already been reported there was a rift in the locker room earlier this season, and now that things seem to be on an even keel, it wouldn't matter? And you state up there that Pronger wants to win. Sure he does, but does that mean Richards doesn't? The one guy who plays his heart and soul out? He probably wants to focus solely on hockey instead of being distracted by petty ******** rumors.
There is a difference between throwing someone under the bus and calling out a player. I have no problem with Pronger's comments so far. He can help these young guys mature as they should.

Throwing a player under the bus is a whole different issue, and if that was the case, then yes, I would have a problem with it.

If you disagree, please post some Pronger quotes where you think he is taking it too far, because I just don't see it.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
There is a difference between throwing someone under the bus and calling out a player. I have no problem with Pronger's comments so far. He can help these young guys mature as they should.

Throwing a player under the bus is a whole different issue, and if that was the case, then yes, I would have a problem with it.

If you disagree, please post some Pronger quotes where you think he is taking it too far, because I just don't see it.
I don't think he's crossed any lines, but I don't think it would be a bad thing if he'd shut up with the opining about other players on the team in public. If he has some advice for Richards about this stuff...say it to him, not the media.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 03:49 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
So in no uncertain words, you're saying that instead of trying to clear things up in the locker room, you would go and openly throw your captain under the bus? On top of the fact that it's already been reported there was a rift in the locker room earlier this season, and now that things seem to be on an even keel, it wouldn't matter? And you state up there that Pronger wants to win. Sure he does, but does that mean Richards doesn't? The one guy who plays his heart and soul out? He probably wants to focus solely on hockey instead of being distracted by petty ******** rumors.
That's exactly how I feel. What I find with Pronger is he never calls himself out for a bad game, and he's had plenty of sub-par performances this season where he's been turned inside out, fanned on passes, fallen over nothing. Would he like it if Richards comments to the media about it? Hell no! Yet last week Pronger called out Bartulis, a rookie, on a play he didn't make. The only time Pronger says anything bad about himself is in a general context, he says "we've got to play better, and I include myself" or something to that effect. But he's never specific about how he has to be better.

I also think he's at the root of the locker room problems because there were no issues with Richards' captaincy before this year. Suddenly there's an issue, and at one point Holmgren had to come out and say Richards wasn't being stripped of the captaincy. Why would that even come up?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:

I'm not saying Pronger threw him under the bus, I was referring to your statement saying that YOU said you would say something if you were in his shoes. Now in reference to Pronger, he didn't exactly say anything bad about Richards, but by him adressing the media on it, is to acknowledge it. I would think that at this point, everyone on the team wants to move past this, but by giving them more quotes to print, they'll keep writing about it. It was made extremely clear that Richards doesn't want anything more to do with this topic. So how about instead of feeding into the reporters' questions, Pronger could have just said let's talk hockey.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I also think he's at the root of the locker room problems because there were no issues with Richards' captaincy before this year. Suddenly there's an issue, and at one point Holmgren had to come out and say Richards wasn't being stripped of the captaincy. Why would that even come up?
Exactly. I mean, I remember people saying last year that maybe it was too early, but no one really outright said anything bad about it. Now fast forward to this season where you bring in an outspoken veteran, and **** hits the fan. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if it came out years down the line that Pronger was the one to approach Homer and ask his opinion on taking the C. One day ypu hear a little rumbling about it, and the next the GM is making a statement on it. I think being as though he even quoted on it, means maybe the rumor started a little closer to the team, than we think.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 04:11 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
That's exactly how I feel. What I find with Pronger is he never calls himself out for a bad game, and he's had plenty of sub-par performances this season where he's been turned inside out, fanned on passes, fallen over nothing. Would he like it if Richards comments to the media about it? Hell no! Yet last week Pronger called out Bartulis, a rookie, on a play he didn't make. The only time Pronger says anything bad about himself is in a general context, he says "we've got to play better, and I include myself" or something to that effect. But he's never specific about how he has to be better.

Because the Captain of the club refuses to talk to the media, so the media writes stories about how Pronger (who does talk to the media) would make a better captain. To refute those stories, Holmgrem makes a statement after being ASKED about it by the media.

This is all MEDIA driven IMHO. The MEDIA is reporting about locker room problems when Richards wouldnt talk to them. Why? Because they have nothing else to write about.

We only hear "reports" about "locker room splits" that are unconfirmed and we as fans sit here and complain about one player. There might not have even been a serious issue in the locker room.

Quote:
I'm not saying Pronger threw him under the bus, I was referring to your statement saying that YOU said you would say something if you were in his shoes. Now in reference to Pronger, he didn't exactly say anything bad about Richards, but by him adressing the media on it, is to acknowledge it. I would think that at this point, everyone on the team wants to move past this, but by giving them more quotes to print, they'll keep writing about it. It was made extremely clear that Richards doesn't want anything more to do with this topic. So how about instead of feeding into the reporters' questions, Pronger could have just said let's talk hockey.
Quote:
Exactly. I mean, I remember people saying last year that maybe it was too early, but no one really outright said anything bad about it. Now fast forward to this season where you bring in an outspoken veteran, and **** hits the fan. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if it came out years down the line that Pronger was the one to approach Homer and ask his opinion on taking the C. One day ypu hear a little rumbling about it, and the next the GM is making a statement on it. I think being as though he even quoted on it, means maybe the rumor started a little closer to the team, than we think.
Pronger calling out Bartulis on a missed play IS TALKING HOCKEY, haha. Pronger saying that certain members of the team MIGHT not be fully committed to HOCKEY because they are chasing tail is a good explanation as to why they may be losing games and losing focus. Part of the problem is that these interviews are long and we get small clips and quotes, in which case a reporter bases an entire story off conjecture and their interpretation of said quote.

I see your point, but it's kind of funny to ask a guy why the team is not playing well, he gives you answers including specific examples as to why the team is losing focus and not playing well and then you accuse the guy of not talking hockey.

As far as Pronger talking to Holmgrem about taking the "C", that is your conjecture based on rumors you have heard. While it is "possible", it is also "possible" that Carter shagged Hartnells wife.

We all know how that turned out.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:13 PM
captainpaxil

that is a question worth asking. is richards captain enough to keep prongers ego in check? if he did decide to backbite him in the media which i dont think he has would richie be confident enough to cut him down to size? or has the mention of how he handles himself off the ice taken his legs out from under him and hes venting that frustration to the media which he sees as the source of the problem? it takes alot of self confidence to tell a stanley cup winning veteran to shut the hell up. prongers quotes are nuanced and insightfull but i frankly wouldnt mind a little more line towing and some glowing endorsements.theres a fine line between calling guys out and throwing them under the bus and pronger has successfully walked it but if he were to back off a bit i wouldnt mind.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 10:30 AM
chaosof99*

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 10:35 AM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
LOL.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:28 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

i didn't think it was funny

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:33 AM
dedhed

Quote:
This is a non-story IMHO. Richards is 24 years old, and was publicly insulted in the newspaper. Of course he got mad. Made a bit of a scene.

Now Pronger will have a talk with Richards. Richards will learn a lesson. Things will be better.

blah blah blah
I agree 100%!

dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote