HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hartford Wolf Pack Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 500
Well, CJ was drafted in 2006, and it's early 2010, so that's 3.5 years of development.

I don't think it'd be a bad idea to have him play for another year in the AHL, but our backup goalie situation is really screwed (to say the least...). After seeing how poorly vally's doing in the AHL, I never want to see him in a rangers uniform again. If he can't win half his games in the AHL (when CJ was what, 13-7-2 on that team?), then he's not an NHL caliber goalie.

Both of CJ's starts so far have been respectable (first one was excellent, second one was all right), even excellent considering the team in front of him couldn't give any goal support, and so far have exceeded what I'd expect out of a backup goaltender.

We definitely need another goalie in the system though, in case of injuries, underperformance, or the need to actually play a 3rd string goalie.

I doubt we're getting one this season though.. so the pack is probably screwed for the rest of this season

Old
01-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Those years were in college, it's a different game. Even our hotshot draft picks like Al Montoya needed AHL time out of college. Not that he panned out, but I'm just saying.

Old
01-20-2010, 05:27 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
Those years were in college, it's a different game. Even our hotshot draft picks like Al Montoya needed AHL time out of college. Not that he panned out, but I'm just saying.
LOL. Perhaps not the best guy to use as an example...

Old
01-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Oh damn, I didn't realize this was CJ's first season in the AHL.

Our backup goalie situation is really a mess though... we don't really have much choice. Vally's a big mess, and zaba's not even close to NHL quality.

Crap situation to be in, but CJ's the best we have for a backup right now. At least he's being sent down for an AHL game every once in a while. As long as he gets 30 games a year or so total between the AHL/NHL it shouldn't hurt his development too much.. and he's still practicing with the rangers, so it's not like he's just sitting on the bench all the time.

Old
01-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Parker

http://sportstalkbuzz.com/index.php/...on-to-cornwall

This story has a rumor that the Senators will move their AHL affiliate out of Binghamton and up to Canada, followed by the Rangers' AHL affiliate returning to Binghamton. What are the terms of the Wolf Pack's current deal with Hartford.. I can't see any way that this is legit.

..the NY Rangers would love to bring back their AHL team to Bingo since departing back in 1998. The Hartford Wolfpack have floundered financially for years and the city of Hartford would love to unload the team to a willing owner.

Really?

Old
01-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Blazephr

..the NY Rangers would love to bring back their AHL team to Bingo since departing back in 1998. The Hartford Wolfpack have floundered financially for years and the city of Hartford would love to unload the team to a willing owner.

I thought Dolan owned the Wolfpack???

Old
01-20-2010, 06:40 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Since when are people concerned about an AHL team's finances?

The NHL team pays for all their stuff anyway...

Old
01-20-2010, 08:36 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Why isn't Saguinetti a winger? He has speed & offensive skill but questionable defense.

Old
01-20-2010, 08:57 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Why isn't Saguinetti a winger? He has speed & offensive skill but questionable defense.
Easier to read the play from the back-end and his defense is probably close to, or at the level it needs to be to play now.

Old
01-20-2010, 11:40 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post

I thought Dolan owned the Wolfpack???
The Rangers own the franchise and foot the bill for hockey operations, but since MSG got kicked out of the management role for the XL Center, they've had a deal with Northlands/AEG where N/AEG take care of and reap any benefits of marketing/promotions/ticket sales.

Judging by the ever-dwindling attendance, I'm not sure how great a deal that's proving to be for Nortlands/AEG.

This is the third season (I think? Jarkko, help me out, the years are all blurring together) of the agreement. It's a 4-year deal with a 2 year option.

I said at the time the agreement was reached that the Rangers would have an alternate arrangement for their AHL affiliate by the time it was over and I still believe that. That's based partly on gut feeling and partly on things I've been told.

Whether that means moving back to Bingo or to a new arena even closer to the city, I have no idea.

Old
01-20-2010, 11:48 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

So, the dolans do own the pack franchise (indirectly thru the rangers).

Makes sense, since most NHL teams are footing the bill for their AHL affiliates. Otherwise every AHL team would be bankrupt, there's no way they sell enough tickets to cover payroll (especially not the garbage NHL contracts that get dumped into the AHL for an underperforming million $ player)

Old
01-20-2010, 11:50 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
As a huge Bingo Rangers fan i can tell you the city loved the Rangers and the players loved being there.

Old
01-21-2010, 12:51 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post

His defense isnt questionable.

If anything, when he has come up to the NHL he focuses more on that and provides zero offense (but plays well in his own zone)

Old
01-21-2010, 01:15 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
As a huge Bingo Rangers fan i can tell you the city loved the Rangers and the players loved being there.
I find that last part a little tough to believe.

On a different note, can we get an update on Sauer?

Old
01-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Yeah Hartford absolutely does not own the Wolf Pack as that article implies, lol.

And I think this is the third year of that deal. I hope they stay right here.

Old
01-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Also it looks like Johnson has been shuttled back to Hartford. Three games this weekend for them.

Old
01-21-2010, 04:41 PM
9darter
Soft Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
His defense isnt questionable.

If anything, when he has come up to the NHL he focuses more on that and provides zero offense (but plays well in his own zone)
I hate to contradict a mod but: Of course it's questionable!
What do the coaches tell a rookie D called up for one or two games?
He will be told "Keep it simple, puck-board-out, don't worry about offense".
But his offense is why he was drafted!
He'll swallow his offensive instincts and focus on not making defensive mistakes. That's what the coaches want from a call-up, that's what he will try to give them.

Old
01-21-2010, 04:46 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9darter View Post
I hate to contradict a mod but: Of course it's questionable!
What do the coaches tell a rookie D called up for one or two games?
He will be told "Keep it simple, puck-board-out, don't worry about offense".
But his offense is why he was drafted!
He'll swallow his offensive instincts and focus on not making defensive mistakes. That's what the coaches want from a call-up, that's what he will try to give them.
I'm just a poster like everyone here

Your right in a sense, i'm sure they are telling him to keep his game simple, but at the same time I don't think they are telling him not to try to be creative offensively, don't join the rush, or don't pinch.

Anyway, i was just responding to the other poster who said his defense is what is lacking, which I disagreed with, I actually think he took quite a few big steps since turning pro in that part of his game.

Old
01-22-2010, 07:14 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Charlotte will be getting an AHL team next season.

Quote:
Although no official confirmation has been made, it's expected the Carolina Hurricanes will have their American Hockey League affiliate in Charlotte next season.

The Canes have been affiliated with the Albany (N.Y.) River Rats for the last four years but are in the last year of that arrangement. Hurricanes management in the past has expressed a desire to have an AHL team closer to Raleigh and in North Carolina, if possible.

Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said Thursday that he would neither confirm nor deny that the move to Charlotte will be made.

Rats owner Walter Rabb has said he would be willing to sell the AHL team but only if the franchise remained
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/n...ry/298136.html

No more Checkers then.

Old
01-22-2010, 02:41 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Charlotte will be getting an AHL team next season.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/n...ry/298136.html

No more Checkers then.
Until the Canes find an existing franchise to buy and put in Charlotte, that's not a given.

Old
01-22-2010, 02:43 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Until the Canes find an existing franchise to buy and put in Charlotte, that's not a given.
Also, even if they do, I don't see why this is a given. Cities like Philadelphia and Toronto have both NHL and AHL franchises - so why couldn't Charlotte have both an AHL and ECHL franchise?

Old
01-22-2010, 02:43 PM
squishy

Quote:
Introducing Hartford Wolf Pack All Access: Road To The Show. We gave our players a camera to take on the road each week to give fans an all-access, inside look at what life is like everyday in the AHL. Join the 2009-10 Hartford Wolf Pack all season long as they document their lives on the road and ultimately, their chance at becoming a New York Ranger. Check back after each road trip to see what the team caught on video.

http://www.hartfordwolfpack.com/defa...ord=roadtoshow

Old
01-22-2010, 03:15 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Also, even if they do, I don't see why this is a given. Cities like Philadelphia and Toronto have both NHL and AHL franchises - so why couldn't Charlotte have both an AHL and ECHL franchise?
I thought that the Phantoms moved this year?

Old
01-22-2010, 03:44 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
can we get an update on Sauer?
Bump.

Old
01-22-2010, 08:02 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I thought that the Phantoms moved this year?
They did... not because the NHL/AHL arrangement wasn't working though. Their arena (the old Spectrum) got demolished.

Closed Thread