HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings v. Sharks: Post Game when it rains, it pours THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
01-20-2010, 04:03 PM
JDM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
I think more Jones.... I thought Harrold played a pretty good game. I like him on D. Anybody paired with Jones would look pretty bad.
Me too. I'm quite surprised by how comfortable I am with Harrold on D. I certainly prefer him there than at forward, and he is 10X the defensive player Randy Jones is, who needs to be taken out back and shot in the knee caps asap.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 04:10 PM
JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post
Because people know that he has a killer offensive skill set, so when they see his skill set and a team-leading minus rating, they assume he can't play defense and harp on him.

I think Johnson is an awesome defenseman and that his +/- is a terrible indication of his play. Anyone that makes a point of watching Jack away from the puck will realize what a solid defender he is. His upper-body strength and love to punish along the boards make him an excellent defenseman.

IMO he's the clear cut second-best defenseman behind Doughty.
Some thoughts on Johnson.

His strength is there, but dude needs to learn how to use his LOWER BODY strength. He's all arms.

He has the offensive gift, but I believe his extra focus on defense has him temporarily stifled on the point. He hesitates to shoot or pass and allows pressuring forwards to get too close to him. Granted, this is becoming a team-wide problem because the scouting report is out on the Kings, and Murray/Kompon haven't figured out how to adjust yet.

I cringed last night watching Jones/Johnson take their sweet ass time on the point and end up coughing it up, while I watched every single Sharks defenseman never hang onto the puck at the point for more than a split second. But that's a veteran team for you, they know what they want to do with the puck as soon as they get it.... our kids... sans Doughty (and Scuderi and OD... they know what to do, but have no offensive instincts or skills really to do something good with it), hesitate and have to think about it and they read the play AFTER they've taken a pass, instead of before. The points get pressured, they panic, can't deke themselves into open ice because their names aren't Drew Doughty II and III and IV, and the puck is lost or the offense is stifled.

So like I said, its becoming pandemic to the team, but its something I noticed Johnson struggling with long ago. His D has improved SO much this year, which I am perfectly happy with sacrificing some of his offense for, but if and when he decides to start putting up the points we know he is capable of, it will all start with him taking less time to decide what to do with the puck when its on his stick at the offensive blueline.

Old
01-20-2010, 04:13 PM
SLang

I think I figured out Jones' biggest problem last night (other than the fact that he's in a Kings uniform...oh wait, that's OUR problem). When he has the puck, the guy's constantly looking down at it to make sure it's on his stick. Compare that to Doughty, no wait, he's a phenom - compare it to O'Donnell, who doesn't appear to have the same issue. How is the guy supposed to make a good decision on what to do with the puck if he hardly ever sees what's developing around him???

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Only 33 games (and maybe playoffs) left of the Terry Murray debacle in Los Angeles. I am counting the games down.

Still liking what I see from the Top 3 lines, especially the first line, starting to really gel.

Brown was all over the ice.

Just let down by awful special teams systems yet again.
What game did you attend ??????????
Can't be the same one i saw.
The 1st line is completely out of balance... sure Simmonds scored a goal........ but that was that "3 guys running into the goalie and try to push something in"
With that coach, the 1st line will never score again

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 04:54 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

If Jones is out on defense, the kings should go with 3 dmen and 2 forwards.

HYORI 1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
If Jones is out on defense, the kings should go with 3 dmen and 2 forwards.

yeah and the 3rd d-man has the order to stay not more than 4" away from Jones

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 05:16 PM
William H Bonney

The solution to our inept PP is.....Teddy Purcell?

Quote:
MURRAY: “There’s a potential that he could go in. I’ve got to think about that. We’re looking for some power-play creativity. He can bring that. He’s got skill and he’s been out of the lineup for a while. I can’t let him sit there and just die on the vine. He’s been doing everything that we could possibly have asked from him, off the ice and on-ice work. So there is a fairness thing that kicks in here, too. And if you’re not getting the job done, in some areas that you feel need to be adjusted, then that’s a change that I have to take a look at.”
Only Terry Murray would think a guy with 3 goals is going to bring life to our PP.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

I would prefer to see Martinez-Harrold and just have them play an abc shut down defence

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
The solution to our inept PP is.....Teddy Purcell?

Only Terry Murray would think a guy with 3 goals is going to bring life to our PP.
If its for Ivanans or Segal, then fine. Neither one should be in the NHL anyways.

But knowing this coach he is going to bench Parse or Moller in favor of Purcell. Remember Terry Murray has already told us he doesn't think Parse is an NHL player and he is only up because of the injury to Williams. And god forbid Murray ever lose any of his "Toughness" from the lineup.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 06:40 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
If its for Ivanans or Segal, then fine. Neither one should be in the NHL anyways.

But knowing this coach he is going to bench Parse or Moller in favor of Purcell. Remember Terry Murray has already told us he doesn't think Parse is an NHL player and he is only up because of the injury to Williams. And god forbid Murray ever lose any of his "Toughness" from the lineup.
No doubt on the first point. I don't think Purcell has a future with the Kings but he's better than those two players for sure. I don't mind seeing Purcell get some time.

My issue is that they're looking for some PP creativity and thus, looking at Purcell. There is plenty of talented players that already get PP, most of which are much more talented than Teddy. It's the PP system that stifles any creativity. This is always Murray's solution though. More mixing and matching and no actual changes.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 08:00 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

After reading Murray's comments after last night's game, plus his comments regarding bringing in a "true superstar" a few days back, I'm officially done with this guy. I used to be one of his biggest supporters, but I can no longer support a coach who chooses to blatantly tell the media that his very young team is just plain not good enough. That damages their psyche and it's completely knee jerk, emotional commenting.

The sooner this guy is out of LA the better. This team has been on the verge of a complete mental collapse since the Detroit loss, and Murray hasn't done much to alleviate it.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 08:19 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Quote:

I mostly agree with you. And my guess is it's going to be Parse. And that's IF, TM decides to play Purcell.

Old
01-21-2010, 01:47 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
After reading Murray's comments after last night's game, plus his comments regarding bringing in a "true superstar" a few days back, I'm officially done with this guy. I used to be one of his biggest supporters, but I can no longer support a coach who chooses to blatantly tell the media that his very young team is just plain not good enough. That damages their psyche and it's completely knee jerk, emotional commenting.

The sooner this guy is out of LA the better. This team has been on the verge of a complete mental collapse since the Detroit loss, and Murray hasn't done much to alleviate it.
i'm surprised you didn't bring that whole Flyers thing up... and this was nothing compared to that.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:41 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:

They aren't. If that breaks their minds, then we need new players. If they can't handle the pressure, what's the point of keeping them? We need players that rise to the challenge. You think Simmonds is gonna go crawl into his locker and cry about it?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:46 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:

That is like the worst possible interpretation of his words.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Defgarden

A complete mental collapse? Really? They're playing .500 hockey right now. They haven't lost 12 in a row or something.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:01 AM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Quote:

I've been saying this since last season, and got nothing but blasted for it. Funny how many people have switched sides.

TM's thinking is just plain stupid. He makes you second guess his moves almost every day.

ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:43 AM
JMFJ 3

Quote:

I think Murray is on the hot seat if we lose tonight, he needs a result.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:33 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
I think Murray is on the hot seat if we lose tonight, he needs a result.
Highly doubt it.

Old
01-21-2010, 02:04 PM
no name

Quote:

Moller has not been playing well in any way. He hasn't been terrible but he has not shown a single thing that makes him worthy of line up spot at this stage of his career. Is he trying hard? Yes, but that's not helping.. I don't see why you are giving Moller a free pass. What has he done for us? He isn't helping the PP and is miskast on his line role.

Segal has been doing his role in an admirable fashion

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Neither Murray, nor Lombardi are on the hot seat.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:59 PM
JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Moller has not been playing well in any way. He hasn't been terrible but he has not shown a single thing that makes him worthy of line up spot at this stage of his career. Is he trying hard? Yes, but that's not helping.. I don't see why you are giving Moller a free pass. What has he done for us? He isn't helping the PP and is miskast on his line role.

Segal has been doing his role in an admirable fashion
No one is helping the PP, but its the system, not the players. Moller is the ONLY forward I have seen walk into the slot and shoot on the PP. Nothing happens because its not part of Kompon's system and everyone gets confused, one crashing forward never sags back or a defensemen never pinches low enough to get the rebounds that pop out at the hash marks. Every player is either too low or too high. We never have a forward lurking between the dots for rebounds. Atleast Moller is willing to say "F you Jamie, I'm gonna walk this puck into the high scoring area and shoot it".

Old
01-21-2010, 09:28 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:

You have been PMSing a little bit lately and have left me scratching my head with some of your posts (and you know generally, I love you and all), but I am partially with you on this one. When I first read the quote, the first thing I thought about was his choking comment when he coached Philly. He is passive-aggressive with his comments. I don't know if it is his version of brutal honesty or a lack of common sense.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote