HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rangers Need To FINALLY Get Tougher!!

Old
01-21-2010, 10:54 PM
XLJ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
The worse thing is, and Carcillo knew this, noone was on that ice that would trade punches outside of Dubi (who is not the best at it, but would have done much better than Gabby)

At any point after, Carcillo would have ran from Orr if he was there. But Orr would have run Richards (Girardi was in his face though)

That time Jagr got run and Orr immediately went after Ovy - that was awesome.
I agree they missed Orr. The need to get a goon for the next game against the flyers and have him go after Gagne or Briere. That will teach them not to go after Gabby.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:56 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
I agree they missed Orr. The need to get a goon for the next game against the flyers and have him go after Gagne or Briere. That will teach them not to go after Gabby.
We don't even need a goon for it. After what carcillo said i'd be fine if they cheap shotted briere's face into the boards.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:58 PM
BoHorvatFan

You guys need a good middleweight who can play a little and step up into the next weight class if needed.

Guys like Asham, Rypien, Neil, Prust, Clarkson...

The days of the big goon that can't play are over.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:59 PM
XLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
We don't even need a goon for it. After what carcillo said i'd be fine if they cheap shotted briere's face into the boards.
I agree but a lot of the current rangers dont have that kind of mean streak. Orr would of went after one of there skilled guys maybe call up Byers next time or Voros should of went after Briere instead of fighting Asham.

Old
01-21-2010, 11:00 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

isn't the point of hockey to put the puck in your opponents net more than they put it in yours?

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:05 PM
BoHorvatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
isn't the point of hockey to put the puck in your opponents net more than they put it in yours?
Yeah and it's hard to do that when your best player, and maybe the best pure sniper in the world, is sitting in the box for five minutes because a 4th line piece of garbage got him to fight.

Old
01-21-2010, 11:06 PM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Intimidated players get shut out because they cant get to the net

Intimidated players stand 5 feet away while their star is getting punched

Intimidated players do nothing when Asham pushed your goalie right in front of you
Henrik dove on that play, Asham came into him yes, but he tried to sell it. (like you would) He was borderline Hasek on that play. Joe was doing his best to make it more than it was too. Didn't Voros fight Asham?

Rangers were intimidated against the Devils? Ottawa? Those were shutout losses.

I'll give you the Gabby incident but when that started everyone was paired off. Gabby, if I'm not mistaken dropped a glove first. Girardi came over when it was already too late. Guess what - before that Girardi was wrapped up with someone too.

We just played a bad game and couldn't set up in the zone. They clogged the neutral zone good. They had no better chances than us save for Gagne's break. NONE. They lucky on a high change and Pronger's hail mary, and another one went in off our dman. Shots were close - our shutout breaker was spoiled by the buzzer, we had a few close ones but ours didn't go in.

Intimidation is the worse excuse for what happened, or better yet didn't happen, offensively tonight.

Did you see Girardi stand up Richards a couple of times and stay in his face? Did you see Avery flatten Princess Briere? Did you see Boyle mouthin off and swipin at anyone near him tonight? What about Dubi almost going over the penalty box partition? Dubi also threw a couple checks against Carcillo....

Did you?

Intimidation is the worse excuse I heard for tonight's loss, trying to use that as way to describe the game is terrible.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikSedinFan View Post
Yeah and it's hard to do that when your best player, and maybe the best pure sniper in the world, is sitting in the box for five minutes because a 4th line piece of garbage got him to fight.
that's not the reason we lost

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:08 PM
lbrowne

Quote:
You guys need a good middleweight who can play a little and step up into the next weight class if needed.

Guys like Asham, Rypien, Neil, Prust, Clarkson...

The days of the big goon that can't play are over.
As much as I don;t like him, Neil would have been great on this team.

Rypien would be awesome too - but you can't have one with the other.

Old
01-21-2010, 11:12 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Henrik dove on that play, Asham came into him yes, but he tried to sell it. (like you would) He was borderline Hasek on that play. Joe was doing his best to make it more than it was too.
That should have been 2 minutes on Asham. Simple as that. Joe was wrong. He was also wrong when he was pissed at Carcillo going at Gabby. Imo he was wrong there too. He made such a big deal out of it but the reality was that Gaborik dropped the gloves first. I don't buy Joe's claim that it was "to better protect himself" for a second. If he hadn't dropped his gloves there would have been no punches exchanged.

Last edited by broadwayblue: 01-21-2010 at 11:26 PM.
broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:12 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
As much as I don;t like him, Neil would have been great on this team.
I agree with you there 100%.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:13 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

That game was lost because the team wasn't skating hard. The Flyers had way too much time with the puck. That was the case from the opening faceoff.

Toughness had NOTHING to do with why we lost.

I actually think Carcillo got the short end of that fight... punching a visor... ouch.

Oh... and Gabby dropped the gloves first.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:14 PM
BoHorvatFan

Quote:
True, but maybe Gaborik scores during that 5 minutes and changes the game.

You have trouble scoring goals so losing your true goal scorer is the worst thing possible.

Old
01-21-2010, 11:16 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
It certainly didn't help. And to me, the Rangers looked completely rattled after that whole thing played itself out.

Quote:

You have trouble scoring goals so losing your true goal scorer is the worst thing possible.
Absolutely correct. And your previous post was spot-on as well.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:19 PM
lbrowne

Quote:

Gabby has had lots of 5 min sections of time over the last several games and the puck isn't going in for him. He'll come around and him being the box for 5 tonight probably didn't affect our outcome.

Hopefully tonight Gabby learns to pick his spots

The worse thing is I remember Carcillo going after Gabby the first meeting too..... Brash was playing and I think Carc ran away or made sure not to engage.

Old
01-21-2010, 11:20 PM
OverTheCap

Carcillo couldn't wait to go after Gaborik. He said something along the lines of "who on that line is going to protect him?" Perhaps if this team was a little more intimidating Carcillo wouldn't have felt the need to take advantage.

And we had a power play when Gaborik was in the box. If Gaborik was out there on the PP instead of in the penalty box, maybe we score and it changes the complexion of the game. Team toughness was certainly an issue tonight.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:23 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Just watching Sports Center and they're gonna talk about this.

The host sounded like he was gonna absolutely trash the "Rangers standing around while their superstar got into a fight."

I love the Rangers, but they TOTALLY deserve every bit of criticism tonight. You just don't let something like this happen.

You know your soft when you get called out for it on ESPN, who for them, there are no other teams except the Capitals, Penguins and Red Wings.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:

Or maybe the Rangers get fired up enough after seeing their superstar in the box to play hard? If nothing else, that fight and the subsequent penalty kill should have been enough to provide a spark to play with some kind of actual passion. Instead, they continued loafing around the ice for the rest of the game.

Gaborik being in the box should have been a catalyst...

Old
01-21-2010, 11:26 PM
XLJ

Quote:

Yep the rangers had there skill guys Gaborik and Dubinsky in the box and the flyers had Carcillo. Philly will take that exchange all game long. The only way to stop Carcillo taking a run at Gaborik is to send out a goon and let him go after and cheapshot Briere or Gagne. Even Brian Leetch basically said the same thing.

Obviously the rangers are a flawed team and dont have enough players that can score goals but they cant allow 4th line garbage fighting one of the best players in the game.

Old
01-21-2010, 11:32 PM
eco's bones

I would have liked us to sign Neil as well. Not just a good fighter but a pretty good forechecker and hitter. Oh well.

Rypien is a beast--pound for pound he's as good as anybody. Janssens is another.

Anyway Carcillo is busy doing his Dave Schultz impression. And like Schultz used to do he picks his spots. He tends to stay away from legit heavyweights. The Rangers not having anyone in the lineup like that it was easy to go after Gaborik. He's really a phony tough guy. No doubt before we play these *******'s again we should bring someone in.

Very disappointed with Girardi as well. He's got to climb all over that guy.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:41 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Matt Barnaby and Scott Levy just ripped Girardi big time on ESPN.

Ouch

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:44 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I would have liked us to sign Neil as well. Not just a good fighter but a pretty good forechecker and hitter. Oh well.

Rypien is a beast--pound for pound he's as good as anybody. Janssens is another.

Anyway Carcillo is busy doing his Dave Schultz impression. And like Schultz used to do he picks his spots. He tends to stay away from legit heavyweights. The Rangers not having anyone in the lineup like that it was easy to go after Gaborik. He's really a phony tough guy. No doubt before we play these *******'s again we should bring someone in.

Very disappointed with Girardi as well. He's got to climb all over that guy.
This is not the first time that Girardi hasn't stood up for a teammate. Last week, Neil absolutely leveled Anisimov with a late hit, and Girardi just stood there. There have been numerous times where players have run Lundqvist and Girardi has done nothing about it.

Girardi got injured in a fight with Cam Barker last season, and that may have affected his willingness to drop the gloves. But sticking up for your teammates is a part of the game, and if he's not going to step in and protect our best players in Gaborik & Lundqvist, then I'm not so sure if I want him on this team.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:47 PM
NikC

please tell me why Brashear was scratched? Is he hurt?

If theyr'e not going to play him, waive him and go get Laroque!

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:48 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

The thing that sucks about the perception of Girardi in this is that he actually played a great game tonight outside of that incident.

Old
01-21-2010, 11:54 PM
crisb

I think some people are ripping on Girardi a little too much. He has to make a split second decision. Jump in or not. The fight happened so quick. You have 2 points on the line. 1-0. Early in the game. Every point counts. If he jumps in, the rangers most likely play with 5 D-men.

Obviously, its a tough decision, and now, its easy to say that he should have helped out Gaborik. He shouldn't be bashed repeatedly for the mistake. It's over with. Gabby lived, Carcillo arguably lost to Avery, and he'll be getting it the next game we play them.

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote