HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators sign Klein to 3 year, $4.05M extension.

Old
01-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Wow the outrage at this is misplaced and silly.

We all knew this was coming, if not then you should take a look at the free agents. Hamhuis is done for at the end of the season and will not be back, Boullion may be back but its also possible he will be gone as well. If we lose Klein with the other two having a defense of 3 new players, likely rookies as well, is scary. We would be eaten alive. Even if we were able to get some Free agents having 3 new defensemen is not something that a team wants to do.

This signing is perfect. A 2nd pairing defenseman for 1.35 million a year and for 3 years when we have Ellis and Josi possibly coming up is great.

With all this said I still want Hamhuis and Klein broken up and never tried again.
I'm glad I'm not the only sane person left around here.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:28 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
It was humor, based on his equally pathetic play!
Ah, did not see the sarcasm.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:53 PM
predfan24

LOL. There couldn't have been a worse time to announce this signing.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 07:00 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Wow the outrage at this is misplaced and silly.

We all knew this was coming, if not then you should take a look at the free agents. Hamhuis is done for at the end of the season and will not be back, Boullion may be back but its also possible he will be gone as well. If we lose Klein with the other two having a defense of 3 new players, likely rookies as well, is scary. We would be eaten alive. Even if we were able to get some Free agents having 3 new defensemen is not something that a team wants to do.

This signing is perfect. A 2nd pairing defenseman for 1.35 million a year and for 3 years when we have Ellis and Josi possibly coming up is great.

With all this said I still want Hamhuis and Klein broken up and never tried again.
I agree somewhat. I just think the timing is hillarious. Klein can be a cheap "veteran" We took along time to develop him. I can see why they want to keep him.

As for the bolded part I don't agree with that yet. Sure we use him as a 2nd pairing D-man but to me I haven't seen that he is completely ready for that role yet. In fact I have been less than thrilled with Klein this year. From the brainfarts to the games he looks like he is skating is molasses. I would say he has been the worst Dman of the year thus far.

The good part of this deal is even if Klein doesn't become to steady 2nd pairing we want him to be even if his play never improves from today till the end of his contract 1.35 million isn't a extreme overpayment.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 07:18 PM
PredsChik

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
LOL. There couldn't have been a worse time to announce this signing.
This is what had me in a fit of rage when I got the text telling me. Last night is still burned onto my memory.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 07:26 PM
OpenWheel

I like the signing. Good job Poile for getting someone locked up for several years without overpaying.

Not sure what the people who are complaining think the price for D-men is supposed to be. We do need to have some defensemen on the ice you know.

If you think this signing is bad you should be lobbying for him to be cut tomorrow. You'd be saying he really can't play in the NHL. Because if you can play much at all, 3rd pairing or better, this is the price at his age. The only way this could even be remotely bad is if there's a no trade clause. And even then I would only be mildly upset.

Judging by the complaints, the Predators goals against average must be one of the worst in the league. Since Klein gets a lot of ice time on a winning team yet somehow this deal is bad. I am surprised our team has such a good record with such terrible defensemen playing every night.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 07:39 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 4050
I dont care how many shades of crazy you guys call me, Im not a fan of the guy and I dont really know of anything that will change that any time soon.

What helped to make it more irritating was that this was announced the day after one of his poorer performances in one of his poorer seasons to date.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Good signing. Hello drama queen....Give me a break Wof. I know you don't like Klein, but lets be honest. This is a really cheap contract, and he is still has value/is easily movable at this contract. We protected an asset, and kept a talented, albeit struggling, defenseman on the cheap for 3 years.

But anywho, feel free to continue smoking him. Just like you belittled anyone who thought Franson would amount to anything or even sniff the NHL, and just like you continue to hammer our 1st rounder - Ellis. I pull for these guys extra hard because for some reason, whenever you dislike them - you don't pull any punches. With that said, I enjoy your commentary, but I must say, you can be quite over the top in your analysis of certain players. I love your posts, but sheesh....we get it already!

Last edited by Enoch: 01-19-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Big Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Good signing. Hello drama queen....Give me a break Wof. I know you don't like Klein, but lets be honest. This is a really cheap contract, and he is still has value/is easily movable at this contract. We protected an asset, and kept a talented, albeit struggling, defenseman on the cheap for 3 years.

But anywho, feel free to continue smoking him. Just like you belittled anyone who thought Franson would amount to anything or even sniff the NHL, and just like you continue to hammer our 1st rounder - Ellis. I pull for these guys extra hard because for some reason, whenever you dislike them - you don't pull any punches.

With that said, I enjoy your commentary, but I must say, you can be quite over the top in your analysis of certain players.
Ouch!

I don't get to see the Preds much but based on TOI he has been getting a lot more this year so someone has confidence in him. On a defensive minded team that plays a tight checking game that says a lot.

Good for him on his new contract and good luck Preds because this team is amazing on how they get so much out of their guys.

Is anyone surprised about Franson and his offensive production? I knew he could do it watching him in the WHL, young man has a hell of a release. Kinda surprising his plus minus is so good, is this reflecting his defensive play or is it more his line mates good fortunes?

Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

It isn't really surprising. He put up huge numbers in the WHL, and he consistently produced in the AHL. He is keeping his game simple in the NHL, and he is doing well.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

The reason I don't like the contract is the three years. I wanted two years. I also wanted it to be an even 1M. Think about it this way, we run a tight ship, and that extra 750K could have been used to renew Horny or put into the Rinne fund.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:20 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
There couldn't have been a worse time to announce this signing.
No kidding. I wouldn't have made that big of a deal of it during the off-season (except the money), partly because Hamhuis will be long gone, and we would have a better assessment of where our prospects were that would hep determine whether the signing was even necessary, which I think it was, but I don't like the money or the length at all. We gave him a 200%+ raise for three years in a season where he has been our worst defenseman (I can say this confidently based on personal observation, and not wild pseudo-baseball stat a math minor at Concordia came up with). That's not the kind of contract (length-wise moreso than cash-wise) you give to a player who should just be a stopgap for your more talented prospects, but I can't see him playing a major role on this team long-term unless Blum or Josi stall developmentally.

Of course, I could always be proven wrong and we have Klein turn into a consistent shut-down defenseman that makes all of us forget about Dan Hamhuis all together, but the kinds of mistakes he's making are really basic things that should have been weeded out of his game a long time ago. Looking up the ice before clearing the puck; not throwing the puck into the slot from behind your own net; not letting your man get by you along the boards; reading the flow of play and knowing when and when not to pinch in the offensive zone (although this is more of an instinctual thing)... all of these are things Klein has shown a need to work on. Most of this isn't really that new to his game, and he's had five years to weed that sort of stuff out of his game. I don't expect the guy to be perfect, but I do expect him to play his role with competency, and if he keeps at it, I will continue harping on him all season, in every GDT, just for Enoch.

As for Franson, his offensive talent has broken through, but the rest of his game still needs to catch up. All the complaints I had about his game still exist. It's a small miracle that he can stand up on his skates, let alone move on them. He still makes egregious defensive errors (as Dan Ellis will no doubt tell you), and he actually bounces off people when he tries to hit them (and it's hilarious to then watch 5'9" Bouillon turn the same player into a rag doll several shifts later). He's pretty much our own version of Kurtis Foster, which is good and bad. It's good because he'll come in handy on the second-unit power play, and it's bad because we can't trust him with any major amount of shorthanded ice time.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 10:13 PM
smitty10

When does Goc get his extension? I think based on this year he should have been awarded one first...

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:50 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Maybe they're not in a rush with certain players, to keep options open for trade deadline..

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:04 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
Maybe they're not in a rush with certain players, to keep options open for trade deadline..
Maybe Klein was willing to make the deal and Goc thinks he'll be in a better position after a full season. He's over his career high in goals and who knows what he'll do the rest of the season. If he continues his play, he'll be worth more at the end of the season. Even if he doesn't, I don't think it will make him any less valuable than he is right now.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:39 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
That's true as well.. Goc may go to the highest bidder.

Amazing how the play improves in contract years.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:51 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

wasn't goc in a contract year last year as well?

anyway, i don't know how anyone could be upset with this deal. a guy playing 20+ min a night, can play in all situations, has speed to burn all for a bit over a mil a year. heard pete weber talking about this aspect too. klein leads the league in ice time jump. over seven minutes a game more than last year. kid is still learning.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 06:54 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I prefer...

This has just become my new ringtone.

Carry on...

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Question: When a player signs a 1-year deal, when are they able to negotiate a new contract?

Old
01-20-2010, 11:02 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Question: When a player signs a 1-year deal, when are they able to negotiate a new contract?
without checking the cba, i would assume it is whenever that one year deal begins. i don't know when players actually get paid (once a month, when games start, etc.)

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:51 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
People are being too hard on him. He's taken huge strides since last year.

I was thinking $1M even, so it's slightly high.
1M is in fact slightly high now but of course if he has steady improvement in his game it will be a bargain by year 3.

This was the obvious move to make. Sign Klein for less than half of what Hammer would cost, and move all the youngsters up a slot... the defensemen "ladder scheme" is the bedrock of poiles master budget plan...

In 3 years Klein will have either improved so much that we cant afford him, just like Hamhuis, or he will have been passed by those behind him, in which case he either goes away to seek his fortune elsewhere or is released or signed as the 7th dman for small dollars

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

take the ****ing blinders off people ... he just got gang ***** by twice by Scottie Upshall

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:34 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
take the ****ing blinders off people ... he just got gang ***** by twice by Scottie Upshall
Ok, and so did Suter. Should we burn him at the stake too?

Old
01-21-2010, 11:47 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 4050
the Suter goal was different, on a homerun pass.

Klein was between Upshall and the goal twice and didnt put a hand on him.

You guys are delusional. We have 3 more years of this to look forward to.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
the Suter goal was different, on a homerun pass.

Klein was between Upshall and the goal twice and didnt put a hand on him.

You guys are delusional. We have 3 more years of this to look forward to.
Right, so Suter gets special treatment and excuses but Klein doesn't? Isn't being between the net and the shooter better than not being between the net and the shooter?