HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why the hate against Larry?

View Poll Results: What do you think about Larry Brooks?
I like him a lot 39 21.43%
He ok 44 24.18%
I'm neutral 31 17.03%
Not my cup of tea 29 15.93%
Can't stand him 39 21.43%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

vCash: 500
He asks the tough questions, gets the most info (even gets to chat with the elusive Sather from time to time) and tells it like it is for the most part.

He's been dead on with Torts' accountability and the "Fat cats are back on broadway" bit.

I'm not saying he doesn't interject his opinion (which is a no, no in journalism)... but his opinions are usually spot on IMHO

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 03:50 PM
clmetsfan

I don't like his writing or journalistic style, but he's the most connected out there and has the most information. So not my cup of tea, but I have to give him credit for being the most distinguishable of the endangered species.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Choice

He's cooled it with he crazy rumors, and his commentary over the past few years has been pretty on-point. He's improved. And his previous posters have said, he has a solid amount of sources around the league. Makes the competition look like outsiders.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Edge

I've never been a huge fan.

Not as a reader and not as someone who has worked with him.

Larry is at his best when he provides commentary and insight on actual games.

But then he gets on his high horse and starts throwing out "ideas" that just don't make sense.

To me, his work often comes off as self-indulgent and pompous.

I also don't buy into the sources garbage either. More often than not, he floats around "dead deals" and claims it as insider knowledge. While I can certainly understand the hesitation to print trade rumors before-hand (it's a good way to lose sources and make yourself look like a clown, especially when 80% of them do not come to pass) I also don't like the after the fact "almost trade" reporting either.

I read him by default, not necessarily because I like him or respect his knowledge.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I've never been a huge fan.

Not as a reader and not as someone who has worked with him.

Larry is at his best when he provides commentary and insight on actual games.

But then he gets on his high horse and starts throwing out "ideas" that just don't make sense.

To me, his work often comes off as self-indulgent and pompous.

I also don't buy into the sources garbage either. More often than not, he floats around "dead deals" and claims it as insider knowledge. While I can certainly understand the hesitation to print trade rumors before-hand (it's a good way to lose sources and make yourself look like a clown, especially when 80% of them do not come to pass) I also don't like the after the fact "almost trade" reporting either.

I read him by default, not necessarily because I like him or respect his knowledge.
Pretty much agree here too, theres just so many times I will read 'Tkachuk to the Rangers' from him
'
And I bolded the last line cause I think thats where the 'hockey news starved public' comes into play - most NYR fans read him cause theres not much else.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:04 PM
otto1219

i think larry's problem is that he tries to make himself bigger than the story. The guy obviously has an ego, and it probably didnt help that dellapina got offered a job by the NHL and not him.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
i think larry's problem is that he tries to make himself bigger than the story. The guy obviously has an ego, and it probably didnt help that dellapina got offered a job by the NHL and not him.
Dellapina's writing style always made me feel like I was having a conversation with him.

Brooks makes me feel like he is talking "at" me or lecturing me.

Old
01-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Fletch

I happen to like Larry. The one paper I read everyday, and have so for the past 20 years, is the Post, so that's for starters. Also, he cares about New York hockey and is a consistent writer. I don't always agree with him, but he gets his job done and love him or hate him, we all read his work.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:26 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Larry's great. The only reason I read the Post.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:30 PM
NikC

Brooks has gotten too erratic over the years, he's all over the place with his articles. I stopped taking him seriously when he wrote that the NYR had no chance against th NJD in the playoffs when we swept them in all reg. season meetings up to that point.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Edge

For me, Brooks takes the easy way out, he's a populist.

This team sucked for a very long time and it was very easy to line them up and take a shot.

In general, especially to the average NY sports fan, it's not difficult to be negative. The sky is always falling, even when a team wins a championship. To me, Brooks plays right into that mentality.

It's easy to write negative articles. Our society is very skeptical and people always think they have a better way of doing things. I think it's far more difficult to write something with some balance. I think that's mainly where Brooks fails, or rather where others have done better.

Old
01-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
For me, Brooks takes the easy way out, he's a populist.

This team sucked for a very long time and it was very easy to line them up and take a shot.

In general, especially to the average NY sports fan, it's not difficult to be negative. The sky is always falling, even when a team wins a championship. To me, Brooks plays right into that mentality.

It's easy to write negative articles. Our society is very skeptical and people always think they have a better way of doing things. I think it's far more difficult to write something with some balance. I think that's mainly where Brooks fails, or rather where others have done better.
Thats how i've been seeing it for sometime. You read fans opinions online, and a few days/weeks go by and all of a sudden Larry is expressing the same type of opinion with no balance applied to the counterpoint.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Thats how i've been seeing it for sometime. You read fans opinions online, and a few days/weeks go by and all of a sudden Larry is expressing the same type of opinion with no balance applied to the counterpoint.
Frankly, I've seen him flat our "lift" comments from these boards.

I know he checks these boards from time to time.

Funny thing is that it's a double edged sword for HockeysFuture.

It gets them exposure and helps their reputation, but at the same time it also undermines their reporters who work their butts off.

Nothing worse than writing an article and having more people on the message boards than reading your work. Unfortunately, that's the way it is right now. At least until HF steps up their branding efforts and finds a way to promote and pay their staff and really build some name association.

Old
01-11-2010, 01:59 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
My favorite was Walt McPeek of the Star Ledger..He fell off the face of the earth about 10 years ago..Second favorite was Frank Brown..I read Brooks everyday,so i guess i like him..
yeah he was great....you're right...what the F happened to him?

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:30 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
yeah he was great....you're right...what the F happened to him?
He retired and moved to... Florida, I think.

He was my primary connection to the Rangers growing up. He was also the person who discouraged me from pursuing a career on sports journalism (specifically writing about hockey) when I interviewed him for a report in HS many, many years ago.

As for Larry, Edge has explained perfectly everything I don't like about him.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
He retired and moved to... Florida, I think.

He was my primary connection to the Rangers growing up. He was also the person who discouraged me from pursuing a career on sports journalism (specifically writing about hockey) when I interviewed him for a report in HS many, many years ago.

As for Larry, Edge has explained perfectly everything I don't like about him.
I'm curious, what did he say to you?

Old
01-11-2010, 04:39 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

i dont know about you guys, but all the complaints and/or praises i spit out during any given ranger game i watch is almost always reiterated by Larry the following day in the Post.

As a no-nonsense hockey fan and die hard new york sports fan, Larry is the closest thing in the media to the guy I would want to watch a game with.

Frank Brown was the same way, as was Barry Meisel. Read Brown's book about the 1992-93 season.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:33 PM
ohbaby

Anyone see Torts bash Larry in the post game interview tonight?

I can't stand Larry, and now I have his image in my head. Whata nightmare!

Torts will probably get fined, for comments that needed to be said to that A-hole.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:38 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:

Video graciously captured and uploaded by BleedsBlueforNYR.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:42 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

After tonights BS again...."Not my cup of tea"

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:42 PM
ruckus*

The problem, once again, is Tortorella's. Just answer the question. That's all he has to do. Torts is in the wrong here. He hates Brooks and that's fine but this thing was his doing.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Renbarg

As an Islanders fan I have grown to like Brooks. I probably read his column more consistently than any other opposing teams column even if it is only on the Rangers. Plus the Brooks v. Torts fights are always pretty classic.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:49 PM
ohbaby

Torts didn't handle it too well,... But can you blame him?

Would you like a troll like Larry standing in your face, when all you want to do is slap him around?

Worst beat writer NY has ever seen.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:53 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post

Would you like a troll like Larry standing in your face, when all you want to do is slap him around?
Brooks really is quite the troll. I am somewhat like Torts in blowing gaskets easily and I could easily see myself doing the same if he was blasting crap in my ear like that.

Still, I am torn with my like for Torts and my recognition that it wasn't very appropriate to do that on camera.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:54 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post

I agree with this. Which is why i don't think this is really a big deal. These guys have an obvious history. They both don't like each other. I do think Torts should've just answered the question but at the same time I don't blame Torts for being like **** this ****** especially after the game that just took place. This whole thing really isn't a big deal to me.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote