HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why the hate against Larry?

View Poll Results: What do you think about Larry Brooks?
I like him a lot 39 21.43%
He ok 44 24.18%
I'm neutral 31 17.03%
Not my cup of tea 29 15.93%
Can't stand him 39 21.43%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-21-2010, 11:02 PM
ohbaby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
I agree with this. Which is why i don't think this is really a big deal. These guys have an obvious history. They both don't like each other. I do think Torts should've just answered the question but at the same time I don't blame Torts for being like **** this ****** especially after the game that just took place. This whole thing really isn't a big deal to me.
They have a history already? Torts hasn't been hear a year yet. Not surprising though, giving Larry's a real jerk. He is so horrible putting pen to paper. His style is offensive.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i like larry brooks...but the dude looks like a manticore.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:07 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
They have a history already? Torts hasn't been hear a year yet. Not surprising though, giving Larry's a real jerk. He is so horrible putting pen to paper. His style is offensive.

Really man? How long have you been watching hockey?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU8CJQiAycI

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:17 PM
OverTheCap

Larry Brooks is a sensationalist, which should come as no surprise as he writes for the Post. His articles should be read for entertainment value only and those looking for an evenhanded analysis should seek elsewhere.

His blunt criticism of Sather is certainly warranted, but he always focuses on the negative and ignores any positive sliver of hope that this team may have. Even today's article on Lundqvist had a tinge of negativity, as it seemed to imply he's playing too much.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Scooter17

can i change my response from "neutral" to "i can't stand him?"

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:28 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Really man? How long have you been watching hockey?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU8CJQiAycI
That was freakin great!

I been watching hockey long enough to know, Larry Brooks should be covering some other sport. Something more his style,... Like a crap game in the back of a Bensonhurt brothel.

I stopped reading his drivel more than ten years ago,... maybe longer.

Old
01-21-2010, 11:32 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
That was freakin great!

I been watching hockey long enough to know, Larry Brooks should be covering some other sport. Something more his style,... Like a crap game in the back of a Bensonhurt brothel.

Well there you go. Now you understand the history between the two. They don't like each other. It goes back a ways.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:37 PM
ohbaby

And I miss this stuff because I generally don't watch the post game show after a loss. I only caught it tonight, because NHL on the Fly, aired it.

Old
01-21-2010, 11:54 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
That was freakin great!

On a related note, you wouldn't happen to have the address to one of these famed Bensonhurst brothels, would you? I could never figure out exactly where they were.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Nick00

I'm surprised to see so many here disliking him, to be honest.

Not because he's great at what he does... but because I've been reading his articles for a while now and nearly every critical argument that he makes I've seen mentioned on these boards, dozens of times.
He seems to be pretty in tune with the concerns of the general fan base.

His writing does have a pessimistic tone though, more often than not, and if you're a "glass is half full" type person then you're probably going to be annoyed by that.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:59 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...stgame_wrapup/

Here's Andrew Gross' comments about the Torts/Brooks incident

Quote:
Obviously, the other topic out there in cyberworld, and no doubt shown on MSG or now on YouTube since it occurred during Tortorella’s post-game presser, was his go-round with the Post’s Larry Brooks.

Here’s the bottom line on that, whatever problems the two have, they should not be aired in public like that. And Brooks did nothing in that sequence to instigate. He asked a proper question, in fact both he and I started to ask the same question at the same time and he got his out while I stopped halfway through just so the question could get asked. Which was, should somebody have stepped in while Gaborik was being hit? In fact, Tortorella was asked that three times. But instead of saying no comment or I’m not answering that, Tortorella made it personal. That shouldn’t be the case regardless of what, in Tortorella’s mind, sparked that reaction.

Old
01-22-2010, 12:20 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Brooks' biggest laugher was during the lockout, it was quite possibly the last time hockey was the big topic on the back of the Post, and it said "Mario Square Garden: Lemieux to sell team and lace 'em up on Broadway." After reading that he lost all credibility to me.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:34 AM
prorobo

Send a message via AIM to prorobo
Brooks is obviously bitter that Torts brought up his painful past of being beat up at the bus stop! HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA. Wicked awesome.

prorobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:40 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Brian Leetch's reaction to this was great.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 04:51 AM
prorobo

Send a message via AIM to prorobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Brian Leetch's reaction to this was great.
That was awesome. You could tell he was fighting to keep the laughter back.

prorobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:10 AM
bubba5

Brooksie is great, he tells it like it is! Is he always right, especially with so of his ideas about bring guys to the franchise, no, but who is always right.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

This guy gets way too much airtime for being the Rangers resident alarmist.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

If you like Brooks or not, the fact is that he asked a question that needed to be asked, and Tortorella felt the need to deflect the issue.

At some point, I wish the coach would take some sort of responsibility for the inconsistent, and often soft, performances of this team.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
If you like Brooks or not, the fact is that he asked a question that needed to be asked, and Tortorella felt the need to deflect the issue.

At some point, I wish the coach would take some sort of responsibility for the inconsistent, and often soft, performances of this team.
I'm not gonna answer this, i'm not gonna get into it right now so lets just drop it.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:53 AM
bcrt2000

Sometimes his articles read like a trade proposal thread from HFBoards.

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:10 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Where to begin with this...

In no particular order:

1- He is not a reporter of NEWS.

2- He's a sensationalist.

3- He will find the negative, sarcastic, bull **** in ANY situation. The Rangers could win the Cup in June the next morning he would write an article about how the Rangers don't deserve it and how Wade Redden is a bum.

4- If i wanted to read someone's OPINION, i would come to the HF boards.

5- Brooks NEVER played the sport of hockey. He never coached the sport of hockey. He does not know ANYTHING about the sport of hockey. Sure, he may write articles and interview people... however, he NEVER played, he never once put the skates on, he didn't hang around rinks as a kid, he couldn't tell you what the best equipment is, he couldn't tell you what a radius on a runner is, he couldn't tell you what a stick lie is, he couldn't tell you what an umbrella is, or what Russian circles are...he couldn't tell you ANYTHING about the SPORT of hockey.

He is a joke, and an insult to the sport, and the people who DO know the ins and outs of the sport.

6- He looks to start controvercy, rather then REPORT the facts and the news, he ONLY looks to start controvercy.

I could go on, but i don't feel like wasting more of my time.

Larry Brooks represents ALL that is bad with media.

That's why i refuse to read his bull ****. When i want facts, news updates, trade rumors, i read people who report them.

When i want to read opinions, i go to this message board.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:32 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
5- Brooks NEVER played the sport of hockey. He never coached the sport of hockey. He does not know ANYTHING about the sport of hockey. Sure, he may write articles and interview people... however, he NEVER played, he never once put the skates on, he didn't hang around rinks as a kid, he couldn't tell you what the best equipment is, he couldn't tell you what a radius on a runner is, he couldn't tell you what a stick lie is, he couldn't tell you what an umbrella is, or what Russian circles are...he couldn't tell you ANYTHING about the SPORT of hockey.
I'm not even going to respond to the rest of the nonsense in this post, but this is really ridiculous.

I would say that MOST of the people that I've played hockey with during my life don't understand a thing about hockey. They know all about the equipment, but I'll be damned if they could explain proper positioning or strategy.

Heck, you don't have to look very far to see that there are plenty of players in the NHL that don't really understand these things, but I'm sure all of those guys could tell you all about which chin guards and elbow pads are the most comfortable.

None of that information is integral to understanding the core concepts of the sport, or for analyzing the sport. Larry Brooks is far from the first sports beat writer or sports columnist to cover a sport he never played. Ken Hitchcock never played hockey, but he coached a team to the Stanley Cup.

Growing up, I learned more about hockey from a sickly neighbor of mine who was confined to crutches and wheelchairs for most of his life than I ever did from ANYONE that I ever played hockey with.

EDIT: And I'll have you know that I'm not the biggest Brooks fan. Sometimes his opinions really rub me the wrong way, too. But he CLEARLY did nothing wrong last night, and the enormous hate some people have for him is ridiculous.

Old
01-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Banks3rdLineCenter

It's also funny to see how Torts always addresses Rosen with the utmost respect and than instantaneously goes into angry pitbull mode as soon as Brooks asks a question.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:41 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Where to begin with this...

In no particular order:
(Just didnt want to quote the whole thing.) 1-4, 6 are the reasons why I feel the same way. #5 is always a hot button round these parts and it probably doesn't have to be included.

My biggest problem with Brooks is that he reports opinions as fact. And my even bigger problem is that Ranger fans believe it as fact.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i like larry brooks...but the dude looks like a manticore.

Pretty close, imo.