HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Girardi have stepped in on the fight

Old
01-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Nyrvana

vCash: 500
Should Girardi have stepped in on the fight

Andrew Gross said, "Tortorella would not address whether he thought his players should have stepped in immediately but several players did say that was addressed quickly and that, if a situation like this ever arises again, Tortorella expects somebody else to step in so Gaborik is not taking punches. Itís a fine line with the instigator rule. I was probably a little too hard on Dan Girardi in my early game story because Girardi is in a jam there, standing less than a foot away as Carcillo is punching away at Gaborik. Itís still a 1-0 game with two points on the line that literally could decide whether the Rangers make the playoffs or not. If Girardi gets involved heís done and the Rangers play the rest of the way with five defensemen.Itís a split-second decision for Girardi, step in or not. Plus, the fight was over quickly. Turns out, the right move there would have been to take the instigator penalty and protect Gaborik, but thatís a lot to process for Girardi in those few seconds."

So what do you think? Is it a no-brainer, or was it smart not to get involved?

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Nick00

Isn't this exactly what he freaked out about in the post-game though...
I don't get that.

No i don't think that players need to step in during the fight, if Gaborik is willing.
But there has to be a response afterward.
Someone goes after the other team's star.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:04 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

yes, he should have.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:05 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
I don't get that.
Let me clear it up for you: He's a jerk off.

I can kind of understand why. It's not like he can actually come right out and say what he really wants to say: "This team ****ing sucks."

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:07 AM
trilobyte

Yes, he should have jumped in and started whacking to the best of his ability.
How could you not want to feck up Carcillo, that greaseball.

What a question.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:07 AM
majormet

As an Islanders fan, I am convinced I have always had more dislike for the Flyers and this confirms it.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:10 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
I don't get that.
The above quote is Gross' opinion.... "I was a probably a little too hard on Dan Girardi in my early game story." The players told Gross that Torts said to them to get involved the next time something like this happens, Torts never addressed the media on the issue.

As for Girardi, yes, he should have stepped in or made an effort to pull Carcillo away from Gaborik. It would have been disastrous if Gaborik broke his hand or had his face smashed in and missed a bunch of games.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:29 AM
TheHotRock

girardi really looked like a punk ***** watching all of that go down. even his facial expression screamed punk *****. no excuse.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:34 AM
NewYorkStranger

Without a doubt Girardi had to step in. I don't care who you are, if Gabby or Henrik is taking a pounding, you step in.

NewYorkStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:39 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

Is the Pope Catholic?

Everytime I watch the video of what happened, I just say to myself "how the hell do you just stand there and let that happen?"

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:41 AM
gravey9

he should have stepped in - no doubt in my mind. a very demoralizing decision on his part for the whole team.

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:52 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

I became so mad when I saw that. Good call.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:53 AM
chip chipperson*

he should have been there. how do you watch that happen

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:55 AM
DoTheBlue
Off Season Blues

No. It was much better to have all him standing there with his finger up his nose while whistling Zippity Doo Da out of his ass. At least he changed his tune. Normally while Lundqvist is getting run over game in and game out he can be heard whistling Somewhere Over The Rainbow.

I think part of the equation is who the fight is with. I mean if it's Briere and Gaborik should anyone get invlolved then? Since it was Carcillo, whose tooth count is higher than his IQ, I think someone needs to step in. I understand that none of these guys are known for using their fists but when your teams superstar, who just happens to be made of glass and who happens to have produced 20% of this years total goal production, is about to get clocked by some toothless ape, you take one for the team and go get pummeled in his place. I don't want to hear about how if this team had an enforcer bull. When a situation like that comes up, everyone on the ice is an enforcer like it or not. This team might as well be wearing skirts. Props to Avery for at least showing that someone actually gave a **** in the following shifts. But if Gaborik had been hurt, Avery's attempt at retailiation would of been meaningless. In any competetive environment you always protect your assets. Some assets can protect themselves. Gaborik is not one of them.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:58 AM
tjs252

I hate the notion that these two points are more important than the overall team concept.

The Flyers sent a message and we didn't respond. Girardi not only should have been the 3rd man in but he should have gone so ****ing nuts that he got a suspension after the game. There's the selfish stupid suspension and then there's the warranted suspension, and this certainly would have been warranted.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:59 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoTheBlue View Post
No. It was much better to have all him standing there with his finger up his nose while whistling Zippity Doo Da out of his ass. At least he changed his tune. Normally while Lundqvist is getting run over game in and game out he can be heard whistling Somewhere Over The Rainbow.

I think part of the equation is who the fight is with. I mean if it's Briere and Gaborik should anyone get invlolved then? Since it was Carcillo, whose tooth count is higher than his IQ, I think someone needs to step in. I understand that none of these guys are known for using their fists but when your teams superstar, who just happens to be made of glass and who happens to have produced 20% of this years total goal production, is about to get clocked by some toothless ape, you take one for the team and go get pummeled in his place. I don't want to hear about how if this team had an enforcer bull. When a situation like that comes up, everyone on the ice is an enforcer like it or not. This team might as well be wearing skirts. Props to Avery for at least showing that someone actually gave a **** in the following shifts. But if Gaborik had been hurt, Avery's attempt at retailiation would of been meaningless. In any competetive environment you always protect your assets. Some assets can protect themselves. Gaborik is not one of them.

Kind of reminded me of PJ Stock vs Marius Czerkawski back in the day, just at least that was a line brawl.

Old
01-22-2010, 01:12 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

If Gaborik didn't take his gloves off, I'd have zero issues with Girardi sticking up for his teammate. But Gaborik did take his gloves off. I sure as hell don't expect anyone to interfere with a fight between two men when they're both willing to go at one another, regardless of who they are.

I'm more disappointed at how some of our bigger guys responded. In particular, Marc Staal. I know fighting isn't his thing, but at some point he needs to use his size, and intimidate his opposition. He needs to play pissed off in rivalry games, because he's physically capable of doing so.

Boyle too. He's another big boy who does mix it up a little, but he doesn't fight. He needs to start using his enormous size a little more than he has...

I recall Girardi dropping the gloves a year or two ago, but I forget who. I would have loved to see him get physical too, just not during the Gaborik scrum.

It may sound bad, but when Lundqvist was run-into, I would have loved to see us do the same with Emery. I would have been ecstatic if Voros, or someone else, could have targeted Richards, or Briere, and basically forced them to drop the gloves.

I love fighting. Post-whistle scrums. Hitting, checking, and physical play. It's a big reason why I started watching hockey at 10. Don't assume I have no problems with what Carcillo did. I absolutely do. I just don't think Girardi has any business interfering in a fight between two guys that want to go at one-another.

If I was Torts, all hell would have broken loose after that fight. I would have told my players to go out of their way, just to set an example.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:26 AM
jme42257

Hello, I come in peace. everyone trashing Carcillo, I def understand, but Gaborik took his gloves off first. I thought Danny was about to get trashed by any one of the other Rangers on the ice. At least Gab didn't get hurt at all, as all the shots hit his visor, visibly trashing Carcillo's hand pretty good. Matt Bradley stepped in for Ovie, you'd think any one of your fighters would do the same. After that one I thought the game was about to turn into an all-out brawl. Somebody comes at Briere, Gagne, you'd better believe someone else is coming in immediately. Carter got offered out by Avery, he said no thanks. That's exactly what Gaborik shoulda done.

Just curious, do you guys like Tortorella?

jme42257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:27 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
No.
There was no need for it. Gabby dropped his gloves and stepped up to fight. He got hit with 2-3 punches which were mostly helmet shots and no need for a 3rd man in. Gabby is fine no injuries or missed shifts. The fact Carcillio even stopped throwing punches when they went down made it easier. If Danny goes in and gets a 2-5-10 and a game and the Flyers score 3 more goals you all and the coach bury him. He was there if needed and he wasn't , Stop making this sound like Schultz vs rolf 2 it wasn't

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:35 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jme42257 View Post
Hello, I come in peace. everyone trashing Carcillo, I def understand, but Gaborik took his gloves off first. I thought Danny was about to get trashed by any one of the other Rangers on the ice. Matt Bradley stepped in for Ovie, you'd think any one of your fighters would do the same. After that one I thought the game was about to turn into an all-out brawl. Somebody comes at Briere, Gagne, you'd better believe someone else is coming in immediately. Carter got offered out by Avery, he said no thanks. That's exactly what Gaborik shoulda done.
The thing is, as you probably know, that people snap some times. Gaborik did not map out the next 60 seconds, he just got sick of it and fought back. It's okay, and he is okay with it himself. He is anything but soft.
The point is that when your star player gets into only his second fight in his entire NHL career, you should not be sitting there thinking "well, he is a grown man and got into this, let's let him sort this out".

No. Thinking should not really enter. If you are his teammate, you should defend this guy who rarely fights and is the important player on the team along with Lundqvist.

There is far too much analysis going on about this. Okay, so we might have had to play 5 d-men if Girardi had been thrown out. Turning the other cheek was is not always a better choice. The Flyers needed to be shown some real resistance, especially the greaseball Carcillo.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:02 AM
Hollywood163

This is probably what should have happened

Hollywood163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:28 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood163 View Post

Good call Hollywood, I stick up for Girardi for everything but this I can't. Any other player I say no he shouldn't, but this is Gaborik out best player man. Sheesh! What is this Carcillo jerk saying he was licking his chops to get Gaborik stuff now? Someone on the Rangers better be licking thier chops for Briere next game.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:28 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood163 View Post

Yeah I mean it is a wuss move but at the same time, you don't risk losing your star player to a meaningless fight.

Old
01-22-2010, 02:35 AM
jme42257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Good call Hollywood, I stick up for Girardi for everything but this I can't. Any other player I say no he shouldn't, but this is Gaborik out best player man. Sheesh! What is this Carcillo jerk saying he was licking his chops to get Gaborik stuff now? Someone on the Rangers better be licking thier chops for Briere next game.
Carcillo was simply saying that when the non-fighting Gaborik dropped his gloves first, he was happy to oblige. Feel free to take runs at Briere. Any number of our guys will gladly jump in before Briere gets touched. just sayin

jme42257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:43 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jme42257 View Post
Carcillo was simply saying that when the non-fighting Gaborik dropped his gloves first, he was happy to oblige. Feel free to take runs at Briere. Any number of our guys will gladly jump in before Briere gets touched. just sayin
Carcillo isn't the greatest at knowing when players drop thier gloves looking at his recent history to make that kind of statement.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote