HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Girardi have stepped in on the fight

Old
01-22-2010, 02:46 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood163 View Post
This is probably what should have happened

^ this

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:51 AM
jme42257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Carcillo isn't the greatest at knowing when players drop thier gloves looking at his recent history to make that kind of statement.
I partially agree with you, only because this incident is completely different. Carcillo is what he is, but he's pretty much completely innocent in this incident, no matter how you put it. Gaborik dropped em first, either Carcillo does nothing and gets hit, or does what he does best, break his hand on other players' visors.

jme42257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 04:58 AM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
Once the gloves are off I don't think anyone should step in unless it's to stop the fight because one guy is badly hurt and the other guy either doesn't realize it or doesn't care.

That being said, there seemed to me to be enough time for someone to step in BEFORE the gloves came off. If I'm a Ranger and I see Carcillo getting into it with Gaborik - I get over there right away BEFORE Carcillo can cause any more trouble.

Honestly I would rather have seen an immediate reaction for when Asham ran Lundqvist than Gaborik and Carcillo. Gaborik chose to fight - that's his battle. No excuse for not getting on Asham.

Not that running Lundqvist with no consequence is a new thing, but that would have been a good moment to change the precedent.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 05:14 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrvana View Post
Andrew Gross said, "Tortorella would not address whether he thought his players should have stepped in immediately but several players did say that was addressed quickly and that, if a situation like this ever arises again, Tortorella expects somebody else to step in so Gaborik is not taking punches. It’s a fine line with the instigator rule. I was probably a little too hard on Dan Girardi in my early game story because Girardi is in a jam there, standing less than a foot away as Carcillo is punching away at Gaborik. It’s still a 1-0 game with two points on the line that literally could decide whether the Rangers make the playoffs or not. If Girardi gets involved he’s done and the Rangers play the rest of the way with five defensemen.It’s a split-second decision for Girardi, step in or not. Plus, the fight was over quickly. Turns out, the right move there would have been to take the instigator penalty and protect Gaborik, but that’s a lot to process for Girardi in those few seconds."

So what do you think? Is it a no-brainer, or was it smart not to get involved?
Girardi HAS to step in in that situation.

You do not, I repeat DO NOT ALLOW THE OTHER TEAMS RESIDENT GOON LAND REPEATED BLOWS TO THE HEAD OF YOUR BEST PLAYER.

It is that simple.

A third man in is required in that situation.

truly pathetic that he stood there and did nothing.

Shameful

Last edited by pld459666: 01-22-2010 at 05:23 AM.
pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 05:42 AM
shon

Does anyone think Gabbie might have have said something.
Gaborik did drop his gloves first. Girardi was there to step in if things got out of hand.
Does anyone remember when Girardi fought Richards last year after he hit Zherdev
he didn't hesitate to fight to protect his player.
It is a split second decision .If he did steps in and gets 2-10 and a game everyone would be here saying how stupid he was for taking the penalties leaving the d short handed.
It turns out that he made the right decision .

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 06:59 AM
Badko

There was no decision to be made there. Your top player is squaring off with a guy who makes his living with the gloves on the ice (I don't give a damn who dropped the gloves first), it should be instinct to jump in.

Frankly, I'd like to see Girardi shipped the hell out of here now. I hope he gets booed unmercifully at home for the rest of the season. He has no heart...

Badko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 07:06 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badko View Post
There was no decision to be made there. Your top player is squaring off with a guy who makes his living with the gloves on the ice (I don't give a damn who dropped the gloves first), it should be instinct to jump in.

Frankly, I'd like to see Girardi shipped the hell out of here now. I hope he gets booed unmercifully at home for the rest of the season. He has no heart...
Agreed 100%

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 07:13 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
No.
There was no need for it. Gabby dropped his gloves and stepped up to fight. He got hit with 2-3 punches which were mostly helmet shots and no need for a 3rd man in. Gabby is fine no injuries or missed shifts. The fact Carcillio even stopped throwing punches when they went down made it easier. If Danny goes in and gets a 2-5-10 and a game and the Flyers score 3 more goals you all and the coach bury him. He was there if needed and he wasn't , Stop making this sound like Schultz vs rolf 2 it wasn't
^ this

exactly. in hockey, there are times to react and there are times to wait.

imo, gaby engaged carcillo. there were some bombs thrown by carcillo no doubt but gaby engaged him.

if girardi becomes the 3rd man in, hes gone. done. and we likely hand them the game.

there will be retribution for carcillo. you know that torts will remember. some place down the line, carcillo will get his beatdown.

the next time we play the flyers, im sure, assuming hes still a member of the team, brash will be given his assignment. take out carcillo.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 07:29 AM
Orr Nightmare

I am so glad this happened.

The Rangers are the softest team in the league and they have no backbone and Giradi confirmed it.

He should never wear the Rangers jersey again.

I hate Brashear but how he sits against the flyers in philly makes no sense.

This is hockey and against one of our bitter rivals and we dress a team that high school hockey team can beat up.

I hate Sather so much...does anyone want to tell me how he is doing a good job again.

When we tried for Neil in the summer more then half of the fans were crying that we were going after goons.

After watching one of the top 10 players in the league get beat up...are they still crying?

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 07:30 AM
CaptainCallahan*

I don't get why people are saying Gaborik was willing? If you look at the replays, clearly he just happens to be standing near the crease when the melee ensues, and Carcillo comes charging in right for Gaborik and puts him in a headlock carrying him into the boards, then after getting manhandled Gaborik drops the gloves to defend himself, giving Carcillo the excuse to fight him because 'Gaborik dropped the gloves first'. Carcillo goaded him into it how can you deny this? Thats like me picking on your kid brother and shoving him around and then when he swings at me I pummel him out of 'self-defense'. Coupled with the statements that he was 'licking his chops' to get at Gaborik, that just proves my point and was a truly classless move.

However I give Carcillo all the credit in the world. He proved to the NHL how pathetic we are. He jumped an innocent player, our only legitimate scoring threat, without any repercussions. Gotta give him credit, he did his job. He is a goon role player and he went out and had the most valuable shift of the game. I remember during Ovechkin's rookie season, Brashear was hounding Jagr all game long and then hit him with a borderline cheap hit. So Renney sends out Colton Orr and he crosschecks Ovechkin in the mouth. Dirty play? Absolutely. But message was sent: you go after our top player and we will do the same.

In this case, forget the fines and misconduct penalties and forget a possible suspension, if Girardi wasn't man enough to rip off Carcillo right there, someone needs to fly of the bench and ambush Carcillo on the way to the penalty box. Or better yet, start bullying a Gagne or a Briere, one of their fragile stars. Carcillo went and proved how heartless we are, and in case the rest of the league didn't know already, they sure do now.

Next time we play the Flyers, I don't want to see a pointless staged fight against a meaningless grinder like Aaron 'Ugly Eyes' Asham. You bully and then mug their star guys all game. Send a message. Fighting a 4th liner because someone else is taking runs at your superstar doesn't do a damn thing. Maybe instead of 'Safe is Death', Torts should drill into these guys 'Eye for an Eye'.

CaptainCallahan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 07:32 AM
Levitate

Did Gaborik actually drop his gloves or did one just come off and Carcillo took that as liberty to drop them and go to town?

It seemed like they were tied up and pushing each other and then Gaborik's right glove flew off and Carcillo started punching. It didn't really look so much like a "ok I'm dropping my gloves and getting ready to fight"

But I could be making excuses

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 07:58 AM
pwoz

Carcillo is GARBAGE!

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:02 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jme42257 View Post
I partially agree with you, only because this incident is completely different. Carcillo is what he is, but he's pretty much completely innocent in this incident, no matter how you put it. Gaborik dropped em first, either Carcillo does nothing and gets hit, or does what he does best, break his hand on other players' visors.
Completely innocent? Come on man. You're making it sound as if Carcillo was just standing in the corner minding his own business when big bad Marian Gaborik came up and challenged him to a fight. Carcillo was mugging Gaborik and taking shots at him to begin with, which is what prompted Marian to drop the gloves in the first place. Carcillo has no business manhandling Gaborik like that. Calling him innocent is silly.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:10 AM
morffin

Dan Who?

Screw him ...Dudley Doorite is dead to me.

Get rid of him....stands there as the franchise player gets beaten by a goon.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Garv23

I think anyone who thinks Gabby wanted this is just completely clueless. To me in the heat of that situation, I feel he just thought he had no other option. Whether he dropped his gloves first means nothing. Survival really. Girardi should have stepped in without question, regardless of the results.

I have been hugely disappointed with Girardi's physical play all year. Does he even hit with his whole body anymore? When has he cleared the crease? Where's the snarl? All I ever see out of him are arm shoves. Pisses me right off.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Jackson Ranger

I think one of the things that hasn't been mentioned is the fact Gaborik finally had enough! How many times lately have we seen him push back after getting hit. The man was simply tired of being a target and since none of his teammates ever stepped in, he decided to take matters into his own hands.

With that said, how does any hockey player (Girardi) NOT jump in to help the most talented player on your team fight the goon from the other team??? What was he thinking? And I don't care about third man in or the Rangers will play short 1 dman for the rest of the game. It's called being a team. I heard over the summer after some comments about this team being soft that the Rangers would have "team toughness". Well, last night exhibited the fact there is no "team" toughness.

And as far as my comment about Schultz/Rolfe 2, it might have been worse from the standpoint Dale Rolfe was just a #3 or #4 dman. Gaborik IS the Rangers best player. You never, ever let that happen to your best player.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:27 AM
ThisYearsModel

The scrum begins, Carcillo runs after Gaborik and nearly twisted his head off. Everyone is excusing Carcillo with this "Gabby dropped the gloves" crap. So he was pissed off. On a real team, he would not have done that because he would have known someone would have his back. On this team, he knows no one will. It is a sad state of affairs, and is a cultural problem with the club.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:29 AM
GAGLine

The amount of overreacting due to one game is simply mind-boggling. You all need a serious dose of reality.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:30 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
The amount of overreacting due to one game is simply mind-boggling. You all need a serious dose of reality.
This happens every time the Rangers lose

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Jersey Girl

1. Carcillo had a whole bunch of Rangers to choose to go after, and he went right to Gaborik. Punk move. With the way Carcillo attacked him, Gaborik had no choice but to defend himself. What else should he do, stand there and allow his head to be twisted off? Carcillo is garbage.

2. Yes Girardi should have jumped in...immediately. Or at least after Gaborik went to the ice. This isn't a playoff game, this is the middle of January...a message would have been worth more than two points. Which they didn't get anyway.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Avery316
guilty as charged

this is a no brainer i don't care what the score is unless maybe it's a playoff game, a guy of girardi's stature def steps in there. I really like girardi and I don't think he gets enough credit but i mean...........come on..........he 100% dropped the ball there, disgraceful.

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:35 AM
WolfPackFan07

If Girardi doesn't jump in, then you have to seek retribution against one of the Flyers' non-fighters. Briere, Gagne, or Van Riemsdyk should have left the ice with a mouth full of chicklets. The Flyers then turn their anger on their own guy (Carcillo) who started this nonsense.

WolfPackFan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:35 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I don't blame Girardi for not stepping in. It's either that or getting thrown out of a close game against a division rival. However, I do blame the whole team for not doing anything about it earlier. How much does Gaborik need to get run before someone does something about it? I blame the team for not doing anything after the fight. Why was Carcillo able to skate off the ice on his own at the end of the game? Someone should have made sure he didn't. Why didn't they go after one of their top players?

A fight is a fight between two men. Both dropped the gloves. Let's not pussify hockey even more. Let them duke it out. However, that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be retribution after the fact.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

of course he shoudl have. this shouldn't even be a question. that's your star player getting destroyed but a goon. this should never of happened. dan girardi makes me sick

Kovalev27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:40 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood163 View Post
This is probably what should have happened

that is EXACTLY what should have happened and dan girardi had plenty of time to step in and do it. Not to mention ovechkin is bigger than downie and probably could have held his own. the gaborik/carcillo incident was SO MUCH WORSE because of gaborik's stature compared to carcillo.

Kovalev27 is online now   Reply With Quote