HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Rangers Need To FINALLY Get Tougher!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2010, 06:50 AM
  #101
yankeecpt15
Registered User
 
yankeecpt15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: CT
Country: Ireland
Posts: 185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
flyers org. signs dirtbag players who cheapshot, hit high, and hit to injure, then
look the other way.

As long as the league allows it, you have to answer the bell and meet them with the
only brand of justice you can. I thought we signed a capable enforcer, not a healthy
scratch.

This wasn't suppossed to happen to Gaborik with Brashear on the team.
I'm really pissed off right now.

the rangers do as well then make them healthy scratches

yankeecpt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 07:35 AM
  #102
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,226
vCash: 500
I know I'm late to the party but I get nauseous thinking about how many ******* we have on this team. It's disgraceful. No one has any balls...MDZ is or most physical player on the blueline for goodness sake. It's really damn hard to watch.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 07:46 AM
  #103
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,015
vCash: 873
.

I agree that the Rangers need to get tougher but I think that that mentality starts with the GM down to the Coach down to the players.

The GM need to assemble a team capable of playing that physical style.

No we don't need 5 goons in the line up, but having guys that have size and skating ability that can actually play the game is important.

Someone mentioned Lappy. While it's true that he likes to mix it up, it's also very true that he has the capability to take a regular shift and not hurt his team, same for Asham.

This Rangers team is weak mentally and physically. We see it on a game by game basis.

During scrums in front of the Rangers nets I see more Rangers bodies on the ice than opposing forwards.

I see players constatntly and consistently peeling away from initiating contact with the player they were forechecking.

The mindset of this franchise is a very passive one and the only change that will occur on the ice is going to be following massive change in the front office personel.

I thought the Rangers acquitted themselves very well last night, but there's a few guys on this team that need to go (Girardi being the first on my list)

Another thing. What's it gonna take to get Staal to play with a consistent physical effort? He's also high on my list for soft thinkers.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:20 AM
  #104
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Those saying that a lack of toughness wasn't one of the reasons we lost the game should read this quote from Gaborik on Zipay's blog:



It's not surprising at all that Gaborik was thrown off his game by a fight. He's only had 1 fight in his career so he probably had zero expectation of fighting.

Bottom line is, Gaborik may never have been in this position if the players on this team were intimidating and tough, or at least had the balls to stand up for their teammates.
He got thrown off his game because Carcillo was taking runs at him all game, not because of the fight. This is similar to what was happening to Jagr back when he was here. There was no one to protect Jagr back then, and there's no one to protect Gaborik now.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:28 AM
  #105
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 7,860
vCash: 500
This whole blue line is pretty soft. The toughest one Del Zotto. and he's 19.
At this point Danielle Girardi should be traded at the deadline. Along with Rozsival. Shouldn't have to tolerate this kind of softness.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:52 AM
  #106
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,632
vCash: 500
Man, this team is so vanilla with Tortarenney as coach

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:27 AM
  #107
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Man, this team is so vanilla with Tortarenney as coach
It has nothing to do with the coach anymore. It's the man who puts these soft teams together year after year.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:27 AM
  #108
Loffen
Wen Kroy
 
Loffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Soft euro
Posts: 17,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
I still wish Orr was here. Lots of folks here were glad to see him go, due to his lack of offense. He never really screwed up the team by coughing up the puck over and over again, like some guys named Donald have done.
Exactly.

I was pretty steamed when Sather let Orr go and signed Brash instead. I was willing to give Brash a chance, but my god, he's irritated me ever since the Sharks game, when he managed to cough the puck up twice which led to goals. He did the exact same thing against Minnesota.

He was supposed to be tough and step up and fire the team up. He can't even take a regular shift without being a liability...

Sather can't even sign a proper goon for ****s sake. LOL!

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:36 AM
  #109
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,733
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
Exactly.

I was pretty steamed when Sather let Orr go and signed Brash instead. I was willing to give Brash a chance, but my god, he's irritated me ever since the Sharks game, when he managed to cough the puck up twice which led to goals. He did the exact same thing against Minnesota.

He was supposed to be tough and step up and fire the team up. He can't even take a regular shift without being a liability...

Sather can't even sign a proper goon for ****s sake. LOL!
I'm shocked at how fast Brash has fallen. I was one of the "this is ok" people when we signed him--bothered by the 2-year deal but ok with his presence, having watched him be a useful player in Washington. Every once in awhile we see a glimpse of his hockey playing ability, but the vast, vast majority of the time he's a true liability.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:41 AM
  #110
Loffen
Wen Kroy
 
Loffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Soft euro
Posts: 17,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'm shocked at how fast Brash has fallen. I was one of the "this is ok" people when we signed him--bothered by the 2-year deal but ok with his presence, having watched him be a useful player in Washington. Every once in awhile we see a glimpse of his hockey playing ability, but the vast, vast majority of the time he's a true liability.
I was also expecting "the Brash from Washington". He even won the majority of his fights last season, he didn't take any ****, he had energy...
Then he ends up here, and all off a sudden, he can hardly play or fight.

Makes you wonder.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:43 AM
  #111
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Honestly I agree with this. I would actually support the idea of calling up Soryal and anyone else and telling the team before hand, "Listen, these two guys are going to go out of their way to blatantly blindside and beat the **** out of Carter and Briere and we're going to have to play shorthanded tonight boys. Let'ts go get um'."

**** the Flyers. I'm not one to complain but they really are the biggest bunch of ****ing ******** ever.
a lot of interesting thoughts in this thread. Now i agree you go after the others teams star player. However you think they wont turn around and then take a run at the rangers star player? Or do you think they will take it on the chin and walk away? it works both ways. Orr tried 2 weeks ago to get a flyers to fight him and ended up taking a few penalites and looking like a clown. As a matter of fact Carcillo told Kessel that if orr goes after richards i will take you down. Paraphrasing of course. There is no one in the league who intimidatres any longer or is going to prevent any player from doing what they want. Those days are sadly gone. Next game nothing will happen. That yu can book as the hype always outdoes the actaull events.

Maybe gaborik was tryign to jump start his team, did that ever cross anyones mind? If he didnt want to fight that fight would never have happened. Most logical people now thisCarcillo really didnt even want to go. He could have kept pounding away but didnt, why i have no idea.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:14 PM
  #112
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
a lot of interesting thoughts in this thread. Now i agree you go after the others teams star player. However you think they wont turn around and then take a run at the rangers star player? Or do you think they will take it on the chin and walk away? it works both ways. Orr tried 2 weeks ago to get a flyers to fight him and ended up taking a few penalites and looking like a clown. As a matter of fact Carcillo told Kessel that if orr goes after richards i will take you down. Paraphrasing of course. There is no one in the league who intimidatres any longer or is going to prevent any player from doing what they want. Those days are sadly gone. Next game nothing will happen. That yu can book as the hype always outdoes the actaull events.

Maybe gaborik was tryign to jump start his team, did that ever cross anyones mind? If he didnt want to fight that fight would never have happened. Most logical people now thisCarcillo really didnt even want to go. He could have kept pounding away but didnt, why i have no idea.
Guess you missed the interview where Carcillo said that "he was licking his chops to get at Gaborik".

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:18 PM
  #113
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
It's not just about having one goon in the lineup on a nightly basis...it's about having toughness up and down the lineup. Mental toughness and physical toughness. It's about guys being able to stand up for themselves and for their teammates at a moments notice. We shouldn't have to wait for the fourth line to hit the ice 20 minutes after the fact to finally see any kind of retribution. And we need dmen who are able to stick up for their goalie when he is ran and able to clear a crease. Staal looked pathetic last night when little Danny Briere was able to push him right into Lundqvist causing the goal against. Be stronger! Be stronger in every way possible.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:26 PM
  #114
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Guess you missed the interview where Carcillo said that "he was licking his chops to get at Gaborik".
That was not what he said. He said once he saw who it was he was licking his chops.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:27 PM
  #115
mja
Negative Creep
 
mja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Guess you missed the interview where Carcillo said that "he was licking his chops to get at Gaborik".
That's not the full quote.

Carcillo said when he saw Gaborik drop his gloves that he was licking his chops to get at him. Funny how the meaning changes.

I don't think Carcillo ever would have suspected in a million years that Gaborik was going to drop them.

mja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:41 PM
  #116
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
That's not the full quote.

Carcillo said when he saw Gaborik drop his gloves that he was licking his chops to get at him. Funny how the meaning changes.

I don't think Carcillo ever would have suspected in a million years that Gaborik was going to drop them.
So. he was "licking his chops" to pound a star player with 2 fights in his career the millesecond the left glove slid of his left hand?? Lets not forget the forearm across the face and pulling him away from the scrum to make sure he can rough up Gabby unimpeded.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:45 PM
  #117
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
So. he was "licking his chops" to pound a star player with 2 fights in his career the millesecond the left glove slid of his left hand?? Lets not forget the forearm across the face and pulling him away from the scrum to make sure he can rough up Gabby unimpeded.

Wouldn’t you be licking your chops if someone you know you can beat down decided to come up and fight you? Most people would.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:54 PM
  #118
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,733
vCash: 500
Awards:
Flyers fans, you're welcome to post here, but remember that this is the Rangers board. No trolling.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 03:03 PM
  #119
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Wouldn’t you be licking your chops if someone you know you can beat down decided to come up and fight you? Most people would.
Please tell me that you have the sack to admit that if Sean Avery did the EXACT same thing to Gagne that you would be spewing the exact reply.

Would you be suprised and sound almost dissappointed that Avery could have "kept pounding away" ?? But he didn't?


Last edited by HAPPY HOUR: 01-22-2010 at 03:30 PM.
HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 03:23 PM
  #120
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,260
vCash: 500
Most of us already have an idea that Byers could play at this level. It's the least they could do. Byers is really a middleweight who will agitate--not a heavyweight. Soryal got hurt in a fight with Boulerice and has only just got back into the lineup. He's kind of a tweener between a heavy and middle weight. Probably good enough to give Carcillo a good bashing but not the legit top guys and his skating needs work. I could see Carcillo ignoring him and continuing pulling the crap he has because at this point Soryal is just not an NHL player and there's really no point for Carcillo to face him unless he has no choice.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 03:30 PM
  #121
blue2noise
Registered User
 
blue2noise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,486
vCash: 500
Two free agents out there this summer. Clarkson and Boogard. Both can be signed for a fair price and both will bring the toughness we need so the skilled guys can do their thing and Redden won't break a nail.

You replace Brashear and Voros with those two and this never happens again.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 03:33 PM
  #122
TomLaidlaw
Registered User
 
TomLaidlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transylvania
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Two free agents out there this summer. Clarkson and Boogard. Both can be signed for a fair price and both will bring the toughness we need so the skilled guys can do their thing and Redden won't break a nail.

You replace Brashear and Voros with those two and this never happens again.
I'd love to get Clarkson. Plays tough and can play the game. Is he a UFA or a RFA?

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 03:37 PM
  #123
Dredden
JT Miller
 
Dredden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,429
vCash: 500
I would love evgeny artyukhin.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 03:39 PM
  #124
blue2noise
Registered User
 
blue2noise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I'd love to get Clarkson. Plays tough and can play the game. Is he a UFA or a RFA?
Good question, let me check

EDIT: Nevermind. He's an RFA. My bad

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 03:45 PM
  #125
Dagoon44
Registered User
 
Dagoon44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,880
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2010-n...s-by-position/
there are a ton of solid players that are tough and would really help the Rangers like Ott and a few others who play tough and can skate a regular shift. Ott will never because of Avery but he is example of what we need

Brad Winchester
Eric Nystrom
Are two guys I would love to see here in NY

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.