HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Connecting my PS2 to a computer monitor

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Impossibles

vCash: 500
Connecting my PS2 to a computer monitor

I'm moving soon, and one of my goals is to get a nice 19" or 20" LCD monitor for my computer, and somehow being able to watch cable and play my PS2 on that monitor (as well as being able to use the computer, of course).

Is that possible? If so, how would I do it?

Old
01-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Hire Sather
Still Good Enough

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
"Impossibles" I think.

Old
01-08-2005, 01:46 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles
I'm moving soon, and one of my goals is to get a nice 19" or 20" LCD monitor for my computer, and somehow being able to watch cable and play my PS2 on that monitor (as well as being able to use the computer, of course).

You need a converter to convert the signals. Im looking and i actually cannot find one for sale.... Its a box that has inputs and outputs. You can insert rca jacks [the red yellow and white cords] as well ass Coaxial [the screw in cable connectors]. And then it has inputs for your typical monitor and dvi monitor hook ups. They are, expensive. [150-200 bucks]. But they work outside of the computer. You dont need to have the computer on to use it.

Now, since this is obviously going to be a computer monitor as well. For 20 bucks you can purchase an ATI TV Wonder PCI Card for your computer. Its a card that has TV hook-ups in the back. Youd only be able to play PS2 while your computer is on. But it also lets you capture MPEG's and what not from TV and in your case PS2s.

I had an ATI TV Wonder SE, got it for 20 bucks at compusa. The cheaper ones work, but they arent as advanced for video capturing. But you arent video Capturing. Yopur typical one will cost you 50-70 bucks. And they work the best. The VERY good ones cost 100+ the cheap ones, as stated, 20 bucks.

ATI isnt the only one who makes them.
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Haupp...oductDetail.do

best buy has about 5 different options
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....equestid=48849

Old
01-08-2005, 02:15 PM
Impossibles

Thanks!

I think this is what I need: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....8&type=product

What about sound?

Old
01-08-2005, 02:18 PM
guinness
those were the days

ATI's TV Wonders suck though (I know, I have one), go on www.newegg.com and get one that's better and probably cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=47

Old
01-08-2005, 04:31 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Thanks!

I think this is what I need: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....8&type=product

What about sound?
the cards come with what looks like a 2 way headphone wire [wire with 2 inputs on each end] It goes from the output of the card, to the input [line-in] on your sound card. then in the settings on the tv program you set the settings to look at the line-in on your sound card for the sound.

Old
01-08-2005, 04:32 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
ATI's TV Wonders suck though (I know, I have one), go on www.newegg.com and get one that's better and probably cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=47
ATI's do suck for capturing, but you can get one for 20 bucks that will work fine at just grabbing the signal. Which appears to be all he wants.

Old
01-08-2005, 04:48 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
ATI's do suck for capturing, but you can get one for 20 bucks that will work fine at just grabbing the signal. Which appears to be all he wants.
True, but it's their software that's the problem. What I do, is install ATI's drivers and then use DScaler for TV playback (for recording, I use Nero 6).

Old
01-08-2005, 04:49 PM
DeleteThisAccount

If you don't have any video card yet, you could opt for a Radeon All-in-Wonder. It's basically just a Radeon, plus tuning hardware all connected onto the same PCB. The advantage this has, though, is that capture is much smoother than a TV Wonder (or other standalone tuner cards) since it decodes the video itself (for showing on direct video windows), which cuts out that step plus the bus travel for a PCI card and the speed advantage of AGP transfers. I've had a 7500 and an 8500 and both seem to be a decent solution. The only drawback is that the all-in-one nature of the card doesn't really allow tuning alone to be used very easily (such as from a third-party PVR app). It does come with PVR software, though. </salespitch>

Old
01-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Impossibles

Yeah, i don't care about video capture, just being able to watch.

Old
01-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Impossibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
the cards come with what looks like a 2 way headphone wire [wire with 2 inputs on each end] It goes from the output of the card, to the input [line-in] on your sound card. then in the settings on the tv program you set the settings to look at the line-in on your sound card for the sound.

Old
01-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:

If you're like other gamers you often look at LCD's as a beautiful addition to your gaming system, however, you've also either read, heard, or experienced some of the problems LCD's have with games. The problem lies in the refresh rate of LCD's. LCD refresh is listed as the millisecond rating of the display. The lower the milliseconds, the FASTER the display. Early LCDs had as high as 35ms ratings, which correlates to 28.75Hz refresh! On a CRT anything below 60Hz refresh would result in an unstable image, but LCD's don't rely on scan lines and do not flicker, so early models could get away with REALLY low refresh rates. You can see how refresh rates and milliseconds relate here.
Low Refresh is Bad
This super low refresh rate resulted in the famous streaking, blurring, and tearing of the image in high paced games. If you don't get dizzy you'll probably get a headache or just get frustrated.
Newer LCD's are better for gaming
The newer LCD displays tend to have 16ms and 20ms ratings. These are "ok" but no purist could possibly play on these things without noticing the lagginess. Advanced models in the 17" and 19" range can be found that have 12ms ratings - that's equivalent to an 83.3Mhz refresh rate. In our various reviews of Samsung's 172X 12ms display we find that 12ms is a fair bit better than even a 16ms model, but a CRT is still going to be king for twitch games like Doom, Half-Life, and other first person shooters.

Old
01-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Impossibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus
If you're like other gamers you often look at LCD's as a beautiful addition to your gaming system, however, you've also either read, heard, or experienced some of the problems LCD's have with games. The problem lies in the refresh rate of LCD's. LCD refresh is listed as the millisecond rating of the display. The lower the milliseconds, the FASTER the display. Early LCDs had as high as 35ms ratings, which correlates to 28.75Hz refresh! On a CRT anything below 60Hz refresh would result in an unstable image, but LCD's don't rely on scan lines and do not flicker, so early models could get away with REALLY low refresh rates. You can see how refresh rates and milliseconds relate here.
Low Refresh is Bad
This super low refresh rate resulted in the famous streaking, blurring, and tearing of the image in high paced games. If you don't get dizzy you'll probably get a headache or just get frustrated.
The newer LCD displays tend to have 16ms and 20ms ratings. These are "ok" but no purist could possibly play on these things without noticing the lagginess. Advanced models in the 17" and 19" range can be found that have 12ms ratings - that's equivalent to an 83.3Mhz refresh rate. In our various reviews of Samsung's 172X 12ms display we find that 12ms is a fair bit better than even a 16ms model, but a CRT is still going to be king for twitch games like Doom, Half-Life, and other first person shooters.
Great info. I mostly play sports games, so I should be ok. But I will make sure I get a low refresh rate just in case.

Old
01-08-2005, 08:44 PM
Thomas

Send a message via MSN to Thomas
I had the same problem and found this at Tigerdirect.ca:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...p?EdpNo=683394

I got it a few days ago and I havent had a problem with it. Also has cable input so that you can watch TV on your LCD monitor which is a nice bonus. Been using my PS2 with S-video input without any problems and the picture is quite nice. Has a maximum TV resolution of 1024x768 which was better than some other ones I was looking at as well.

I should add its external so you dont need your computer on at all.

Old
01-08-2005, 08:52 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus
Low Refresh is Bad
Considering most LCD's max out at 1280x1024, 12ms is still good. The resolution of the monitor is more of a limiting factor than the refresh rate, most graphics cards don't break at that res anymore. And if all he'll be doing is mostly running a PS2 on it, then the refresh rate is basically moot, TV's refresh at 60 Hz.

PC purists are never happy, that's why they don't mind forking over $500+ for a video card.

Closed Thread