HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Girardi have stepped in on the fight

Old
01-22-2010, 08:42 AM
FOXHOUND*

vCash: 500
Face it, Girardi was in a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. If it were myself, I choose "do", but to me that was just the lesser of two evils

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Jackson Ranger

I looked at the fight at hockeyfights.com and the closest one to Gaborik when the fight started was actually Del Zotto. He backed off and then Girardi came over.

Either way, one of them (or both of them) should have jumped into the fray.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Avery316
guilty as charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
I looked at the fight at hockeyfights.com and the closest one to Gaborik when the fight started was actually Del Zotto. He backed off and then Girardi came over.

Either way, one of them (or both of them) should have jumped into the fray.
I was seriously just about to write this after watching the video, Del Zotto did nothing also, there is a TOTAL LACK of camaraderie with this team i guess that's their theme this year, under Renney this team was a lot tighter but lets not beat a dead horse.

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:01 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Flyers Coach reaction to the Fight 3:35 in

http://flyers.nhl.tv/team/console.js...=1001&id=57962

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:09 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerichy35 View Post
I was seriously just about to write this after watching the video, Del Zotto did nothing also, there is a TOTAL LACK of camaraderie with this team i guess that's their theme this year, under Renney this team was a lot tighter but lets not beat a dead horse.
Thats not true either.

This has been a problem for years, this isn't anything new.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaRanger View Post
Thats not true either.

I dont seem to remember anyone dropping their gloves and beating the **** out of Jagr.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:14 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I dont seem to remember anyone dropping their gloves and beating the **** out of Jagr.
Jagr also never dropped his own gloves.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Nyrvana

While I believe that Girardi, or some other Ranger should have stepped in. Andrew Gross does make a good point that Girardi would have been tossed, we would have had to play the rest of the game a man down and put them on a powerplay. Also, Gaborik did drop his gloves and all Carcillo did was try to get him away from jumping in on the scrum that Dubinsky was involved in. It's a tough line, hockey players know what they're getting themselves into when they drop their gloves. With that said, I feel that if it wasn't an immediate reaction, then it just shows how gutless the Rangers really are. You need to protect your best player, especially when the other team's good is fighting him.

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrvana View Post
While I believe that Girardi, or some other Ranger should have stepped in. Andrew Gross does make a good point that Girardi would have been tossed, we would have had to play the rest of the game a man down and put them on a powerplay. Also, Gaborik did drop his gloves and all Carcillo did was try to get him away from jumping in on the scrum that Dubinsky was involved in. It's a tough line, hockey players know what they're getting themselves into when they drop their gloves. With that said, I feel that if it wasn't an immediate reaction, then it just shows how gutless the Rangers really are. You need to protect your best player, especially when the other team's good is fighting him.
Yea, but honestly, who gives a ****? Sometimes a message is bigger than the game, especially against a divisional rival. The team was flat, and your best player just got dropped by that greasy **** Carcillo. If youre not going to make a statement at that time, then when?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:23 AM
CaptainCallahan*

Quote:
Yea, but honestly, who gives a ****? Sometimes a message is bigger than the game, especially against a divisional rival. The team was flat, and your best player just got dropped by that greasy **** Carcillo. If youre not going to make a statement at that time, then when?
This x 1000

CaptainCallahan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
ABSO-FRIGGIN-LUTELY!!!

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Avery316
guilty as charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaRanger View Post
Thats not true either.

Is it really untrue to say that this team isn't as close as teams in the previous couple seasons? I'm not saying it wasn't a problem in the past but it's as bad as ever now I think.

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Fletch

at a minimum, Girardi needs to get in there and make sure Carcillo doesn't get in a punch on Gaborik. You can see Girardi come in, the peel back - he was worried about the faceoff coming out of the circle. Not sure who taught him to let his best player, with one career fight, fend for himself against a guy who can fight. Not that he had to fight, but he should've intervened.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:36 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Quote:
This man speaks the truth.

This team needed to take a stand a long time ago. What happened last night should have been the final straw.

UnderPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:50 AM
chosen

Dale Rolfe should have jumped onto the ice and pushed Gaborik aside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82pEAetLXrY

Imagine the reactions here if that happened today.

Last edited by chosen: 01-22-2010 at 10:05 AM.
chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Kind of Blue

Does Charlie Daniels play a mean fiddle?

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:09 AM
TomLaidlaw

Girardi has to do something there. I don't care about playing with 5 Defensemen for the rest of the game. There are moments in a long season where statements need to be made. That moment was last night and no statement was made. Gaborik is a tough guy and doesn't back down from anyone, I commend him for that. His teammates shouldn't have allowed that situation to get as far as it got, and they did.

What is lost in all this is that Henrik got run over again last night by Asham. Redden and Higgins stood there and did absolutely nothing. Has Higgins ever gotten into a fight in the NHL? Or is he above having to stick up for his teammates with his whopping 6 goals and 13 points on the year?

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:13 AM
chosen

Aside from his pushing opponents in the back with one hand off of his stick, I'm not sure why anyone thinks Girardi is any sort of tough guy.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:15 AM
NY Ranger86

for those who played hockey...

if your top player who never fights is gettin knocked around by a fighter... YOU JUMP IN. regardless!! I'm sorry... but Girardi wasn't thinking "oh well its a 1-0 game"... it should just be a natural reaction to pound anyone who messes with your teammate.

in my opinion

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:19 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

another reason I don't like Girardi. You see, we have an ENTIRE TEAM of these cowards.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Balej20*

Gaborik and Lundqvist should always be protected no matter what. Without either of the two, this team wouldn't win a game. I'm officially on the "don't resign the soft Dan Girardi" bandwagon.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
for those who played hockey...

if your top player who never fights is gettin knocked around by a fighter... YOU JUMP IN. regardless!! I'm sorry... but Girardi wasn't thinking "oh well its a 1-0 game"... it should just be a natural reaction to pound anyone who messes with your teammate.

in my opinion
It was natural to stick up for my teammates, but sometimes I wouldnt think at all, just react, and I ended up doing things i'm not proud of, and rightfully I was suspended.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:42 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
It all happened way too fast for me to fault Girardi. In hindsight he probably should've stepped in, but, can't really fault him. It was a scrum where everyone should've been squared off and it seemed like nothing else would happen, Gaborik and Carcillo got away from everyone else, and 30 seconds later(if that) the fights over

The Ovechkin fight isn't a fair comparison at all. There was an incident between Downie and Ovechkin earlier in the game that probably set off a light in everyone on that bench's head to say to themselves "hmmm...Downie's probably gonna wanna fight Ovie, we should make sure we protect him." And then even when it happened they squared off, they didn't just get in to a fight after a scrum. At no point to my knowledge did anything happen between Carcillo and Gaborik, it just happened.

What I can't believe is how immature this team showed it can be, we never got over what happened to Gaborik and just went out trying to goon it up the rest of the game. Any offensive flow we had before the Gaborik incident was gone. It would've been much sweeter to have won than to get into 80 fights about it. Dubi's reaction after the no-goal at the end says it all, they were all celebrating the goal with 0 seconds on the clock. WHO CARES if you scored a goal and ruined the shutout(which they didnt after review), you still lost!

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:43 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Gaborik and Lundqvist should always be protected no matter what. Without either of the two, this team wouldn't win a game. I'm officially on the "don't resign the soft Dan Girardi" bandwagon.
Its not Girardi that is the problem. Its the attitude of the entire team. The Rangers need a big, mean defenseman badly. Just because Girardi isnt that doesnt mean he isnt valuable to this team.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Juice*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Its not Girardi that is the problem. Its the attitude of the entire team. The Rangers need a big, mean defenseman badly. Just because Girardi isnt that doesnt mean he isnt valuable to this team.
sens fan here, you hit the nail on the head there.

They shouldnt do it because they are obligated they should jump in because they want to, they did not look like a hockey team there.

Juice* is offline   Reply With Quote