HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No Smid, No Staios, Bring on the Farm

Old
01-21-2010, 06:39 PM
powersurge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Breathe Hockey View Post
awesome tencer! Used to think Kesler was the perfect canuck, but Burrows EMBODIES them...

powersurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF99 View Post
Like I said last night. The Oilers need to get meaner. They need a bunch of mean, nasty players (basically a few a**holes).

Mason Raymond of all people went out of his way to clobber Smid. You know why? He wasn't scared of any retaliation, etc.

This team is just too timid and nice.
I agree. The Oil play the Nucks near the end of March. I think that has to be a statement game as Vancouver likely looks towards the post season. I want to see late hits, Luongo run, low hits on the Sedins, etc. Nothing overly excessive - Bertuzzi style, but the Oilers have to start standing up for themselves or they will continuously be leading the league in man-games lost like they have for the last few years. They have to hit them where it hurts and try to take out a star player or two right before they hit the playoffs. Whats the worst that can happen? An Oiler gets a suspension?

Quinn talked about eye for an eye at the start of the year. Where is it?

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 08:52 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I was kind of hoping they'd give Motin a shot.
He only plays every second game with Plante in Springfield, I doubt he would even get minutes here.

nabob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 08:58 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF99 View Post
Like I said last night. The Oilers need to get meaner. They need a bunch of mean, nasty players (basically a few a**holes).

Mason Raymond of all people went out of his way to clobber Smid. You know why? He wasn't scared of any retaliation, etc.

This team is just too timid and nice.
I agree with this. There is a reason the Oiler players are regularly physically abused and a lot of it is because the team doesn't scare anybody. There isn't nearly enough grit and toughness on this team.
Like Dan Kepley of the Eskimos has said..."you are either the steamroller or your part of the pavement."

Bring up Peckham...sure he is a defensive liability but that doesn't matter right now. His toughness does matter. This is the perfect time for him to get some NHL game experience and improve his defensive game.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Cawz

So when was the last time an Oiler pissed off the opposition with a questionable hit? Has anyone done it since Torres was traded?

Old
01-21-2010, 09:34 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozers View Post
He is no where near ready watching him this year
I dont think he ever will be sadly. Another first round bust. Yay!

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Thrill22
Feelin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
cut him a little slack, he's in his first year in the AHL, on quite possibly the worst team in AHL history... too early to call bust - hopefully if the points don't come any time soon, maybe he can transform his game into more of a stay at home, hard minutes guy

granted i haven't seen him play at all this year, but it makes me sad when we give up on our young guys so quick - everyone complains we rush our guys, and don't give them time in the minors, then we do, and they get crushed... makes no sense

Thrill22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:13 PM
TigerWoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
So when was the last time an Oiler pissed off the opposition with a questionable hit? Has anyone done it since Torres was traded?
That's exactly what I was thinking.

TigerWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Hope Grebs gets paired up with Lubo

Lubo - Grebs
Souray - Gilbert
Struds - Chorney
Looks about right for now but hopefully we won't have to get used to it. The Lubo-Smid pairing is one of maybe 2 or 3 bright spots for us all year and I'd hope it won't be tampered with until 71 is moved.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:26 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrill22 View Post
cut him a little slack, he's in his first year in the AHL, on quite possibly the worst team in AHL history... too early to call bust - hopefully if the points don't come any time soon, maybe he can transform his game into more of a stay at home, hard minutes guy

granted i haven't seen him play at all this year, but it makes me sad when we give up on our young guys so quick - everyone complains we rush our guys, and don't give them time in the minors, then we do, and they get crushed... makes no sense
Just expressing my opinion. He doesnt look like he can contribute. Maybe he improves and is able to be a solid defensive d man. But Im not going to hold my breath.

Old
01-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Just expressing my opinion. He doesnt look like he can contribute. Maybe he improves and is able to be a solid defensive d man. But Im not going to hold my breath.
Bust pick from day one. First words out of peoples mouths were he has to work on his skating, he racked up lots of points on a great calgary team playing with Alzner. Got in a big snit the next year before playing with Calgary. Passed on Cherapanov (rip) for a project that doesn't sound very good.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Thrill22
Feelin' it

Quote:
serious question - i know he was pretty good in both zones in Calgary, although his point totals and +/- might have been a little inflated because they were a pretty good team, he had his personal troubles, but seemed to bounce back pretty well - what about his game leads you to believe he will not succeed? Like I said, unlike you, I haven't gotten to see the Falcons at all this year, but it seems like on that team, the Oiler prospects are just being set up to fail

I guess i could track down some plante info, but i'm curious as to why you feel poorly about him

edit: just saw beerfish's post... my questions are a little redundant now

Thrill22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:50 PM
I am the Liquor

He is just too slow. Flat out. He is like Strudwick, but a lot slower. Slow to move, slow to react. And that isnt even against real nhl competition. He has a long way to go.

Old
01-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Come on man, remember Plante is the **** and Petry sucks, read it on a blog somewhere.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:53 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Come on man, remember Plante is the **** and Petry sucks, read it on a blog somewhere.
I probably missed it because it was squished between two pieces, one pumping Mactavish and the other pumping Horcoff.

Old
01-21-2010, 10:56 PM
Oi'll say!

I missed the hit on Smid, how bad was it? Does anyone know if there's video?

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
I missed the hit on Smid, how bad was it? Does anyone know if there's video?
Smid was reaching for the puck and got hit, I think with a shoulder to the head. Wouldnt have been that bad of a hit if Smid had the puck, but it was blatent interference. He wasnt prepared for the hit since he didnt have the puck.

Old
01-22-2010, 09:18 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Jacques, Stone at the start of the year. Stortini kinda runs around, but half the time he misses so the other teams seem to cut him slack when he does actually connect.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:29 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 448
Quote:
He is just too slow. Flat out. He is like Strudwick, but a lot slower. Slow to move, slow to react. And that isnt even against real nhl competition. He has a long way to go.
He is realtively young at 20, I don't expect that he is going to be a go to d-man but he has the size to develop into a Matt Greene. And Greene took until he was 25 to become the force he is.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:08 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
That was classic. Especially the Alex Burrows and Brian Burke quotes. Word will get around that the Canucks are the whiniest team in the NHL.
Actually I read a similar thing in the Hockey News. The Canucks have a reputation as being as being very cocky and arrogant despite never winning a damn thing.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:10 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Wow, you are willing to make this prediction on a dman with one years experience in the AHL.

Call me not convinced.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote