HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Girardi have stepped in on the fight

Old
01-22-2010, 10:47 AM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prk2Lojjmbw

You guys realize that when the defenseman jump into a scrum below the circles the faceoff comes out of the zone? Del Zotto and Girardi aren't part of the initial scrum and don't come in to it until after Gaborik's thrown his gloves.

And if we're going to put all this on Girardi, he at least came in to be there TO jump in if things start getting ugly(Gaborik left that fight without a scratch on him)...MDZ stays above the circles I'm pretty sure the entire time(at least until Girardi jumped in.)

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:50 AM
RangerFan10

I really figured the team would've responded differently after the fight, especially the way Dubinsky was pissed and how Avery, Voros, and Boyle all seemed to be looking for blood after it. But instead we kinda rolled over and died. It's nice that we got in to like 4 fights to defend Gaborik's honor after but we played like a minor league team after. We looked like Chris Simon's KHL team.

Old
ruckus*

I think the correct answer is yes. However I'm not going to be one of those people who wants to kill Girardi. It's hard to understand when your DNA is different than someone else's. Girardi has never struck me as that kind of player. Also, with the new NHL and the instigator rule the players are effectively neutered. I think it's natural now for players because they're used to it by now not being able to jump in. He absolutely needs to protect Gaborik there regardless of the consequences but I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon to crucify him.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TomLaidlaw

Didn't see this posted. Here is what the players had to say.

"I guess I was overthinking it, Girardi said. I didn't want to take another penalty, because I knew we already had one there [on Brandon Dubinsky], but I should have gotten involved. I should have jumped in. Maybe it was the wrong decision, but it was the decision I made at the time. If there's a next time, I would go."
-Dan Girardi

"That's hockey."
-Marion Gaborik

"We will remember this for sure. He should be ready for it."
-Marc Staal

"My first thought was that I hoped Gabby knew who he was fighting. I think it was disrespectful for that player to go after a top player like that. But we have to go in and do something there. It's not supposed to happen that way."
-Henrik

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post

You guys realize that when the defenseman jump into a scrum below the circles the faceoff comes out of the zone? Del Zotto and Girardi aren't part of the initial scrum and don't come in to it until after Gaborik's thrown his gloves.

And if we're going to put all this on Girardi, he at least came in to be there TO jump in if things start getting ugly(Gaborik left that fight without a scratch on him)...MDZ stays above the circles I'm pretty sure the entire time(at least until Girardi jumped in.)
Who cares about that when your best player who never fights is engaged with a legit scrapper? Like someone said earlier, you may lose that one faceoff chance in this one game but a clear message is sent to EVERYONE when you defend your best player, and the effect is felt long term.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Balej20*

Quote:

Wow. You're right. It so would have been worth it if Gaborik lost an eye so long as we have that all important offensive zone faceoff... Jesus Christ.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:53 AM
RangerFan10

I wonder if superstars feel a little embarrassed when stuff like this happens? Regardless of whether someone does step in or not, it's gotta make them feel a little soft to be asked whether or not someone should've faught for them. And I know Gaborik is a guy that doesn't seem to step down from anyone, we've seen it time and time again where he'll get right in the face of a much tougher player(Brooks Orpik for example)

Old
01-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Who cares about that when your best player who never fights is engaged with a legit scrapper? Like someone said earlier, you may lose that one faceoff chance in this one game but a clear message is sent to EVERYONE when you defend your best player, and the effect is felt long term.
Bluenote and I are on the same page for once?! I can't believe it.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:55 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Wow. You're right. It so would have been worth it if Gaborik lost an eye so long as we have that all important offensive zone faceoff... Jesus Christ.
Gimme a break, the point was Carcillo wasn't landing any punches. You see him throw a haymaker or two or Gaborik lose his helmet, and Girardi STILL doesn't jump in, then lets talk.

It's already been made a point, there's way too many things that negatively happen to a player if they step in like you all want Girardi to. If you're really upset with this outcome, you should be mad at the NHL for making instigator and 3rd man rules so strict and not allowing the players to in a sense self-police the game. Instead it's left all up to the refs, players like Carcillo think they can do whatever they want, and this happens.

Old
01-22-2010, 10:57 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
I'm just saying its not exactly so cut and dry like everyone makes it out to be. There's a lot to think about for a defenseman(or any player for that matter) before they just take a 3rd man in. It's a very difficult situation and I'm simply saying I have a hard time really faulting Girardi. This all happened much faster than other situations that are being brought up here.

I'd like to have seen him jump in there, but I'm not going to act like Girardi killed my dog because he didn't.

Old
01-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Gimme a break, the point was Carcillo wasn't landing any punches. You see him throw a haymaker or two or Gaborik lose his helmet, and Girardi STILL doesn't jump in, then lets talk.

It's already been made a point, there's way too many things that negatively happen to a player if they step in like you all want Girardi to. If you're really upset with this outcome, you should be mad at the NHL for making instigator and 3rd man rules so strict and not allowing the players to in a sense self-police the game. Instead it's left all up to the refs, players like Carcillo think they can do whatever they want, and this happens.
Did you watch the fight? It got completely out of hand once they came out of the corner and Gaborik was DROPPED by a right hand.

There no defense for Girardi. None.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

HOLY CHRIST THIS TEAM IS EMBARRASSINGLY INEPT SOMETIMES.

NEVER NEVER NEVER under ANY circumstances should Marian Gaborik be fighting Dan Carcillo.

Every Ranger on the ice was at fault there. Every Ranger period.

Lose the game after the ensuing 20 minutes of PK but STAND UP FOR the elite talent.

If Gabby so much as breaks a pinky fighting Dan Carcillo this team is SUNK.

Dan Carcillo targeted Gabby. Dan Carcillo! And the Rangers stood by and let it happen

Thank you Sean Avery for at least trying to make it right, but CHRIST where is the passion and just plain hockey smarts of the guys in the moment

Heads up their *****. Watching Dan Carcillo pound away on Gabby is easily the low point of the season...

This team has serious issues. Pathetic

HoosierDaddy

I've never liked calling out one player in situations like this because there is always a lot going on and things happening very fast. If it's not your personality to jump into those frays you don't react fast enough. I put this all on the Linesmen. That situation should not be allowed to happen. And if it does you need to ensure that a puke like Crazy gets penalized severely so he picks on other goons.

I don't have a problem with Girardi. He usually plays the body and doesn't shy away from physicality.

That said, overall our team needs a shot of testosterone through the lineup. Team toughness. Not implying becoming a thug organization like the Flyers, but having even the 180 lb. weakling sticking up for his mates.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:04 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Didn't see this posted. Here is what the players had to say.

"I guess I was overthinking it, Girardi said. I didn't want to take another penalty, because I knew we already had one there [on Brandon Dubinsky], but I should have gotten involved. I should have jumped in. Maybe it was the wrong decision, but it was the decision I made at the time. If there's a next time, I would go."
-Dan Girardi

"My first thought was that I hoped Gabby knew who he was fighting. I think it was disrespectful for that player to go after a top player like that. But we have to go in and do something there. It's not supposed to happen that way."
-Henrik
This is what I meant in my previous post which I didn't read before posting. It's not in Girardi's nature to be a policeman. He was just late in reacting.

And Hank in the back ground, "...yeah, something needs to be done when you goalie gets runs as well..."

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:08 AM
ruckus*

I know someone in here posted a video of Laviolette's comments but it's not working for me. Anyone have any quotes from him or Flyers players on this?

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:12 AM
HAPPY HOUR

I was all over Girardi last night in thr GDT. Then about 2 am I watched it again. I am even more disgusted with him. I initially thought he was more tied up with another player.
He wasn't. He has to jump on Carcillo there. Has to.

If you think that the Flyers would have let Avery do that to Gagne, or Voros do that Elias or the either do that to Tavares, without somebody hell anybody jumping in....

I believe your sadly mistaken.

Girardi knows he ****ed up. Just like Vic Hadfield did when Dave Shultz beat the living daylights out of Dale Rolfe. Remember watching it with my dad on Ch 9. Vic caught tremendous heat from the fans for that. Many Rangers fans at the time thought that that play was a real setback for the Rangers.

Its still talked about today by many old time Ranger fans that I know as a real disgrace
for the franchise.
Some see similarities (though less of a beating and much more of a player here) from then to now. Curious to see how this team responds.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:14 AM
FLYLine24*

Golden Boy Girardi should have absolutely stepped in.......can you imagine the uproar on the board if that was Redden or Rozy?

Golden boy gets a free pass for some reason here.l

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:20 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Low Point of the Season....

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Bluenote and I are on the same page for once?! I can't believe it.
There are some things in Hockey all fans should agree with and this is one of them. But yeah, we should be at each others throats in another thread to balance it out

Quote:

Carcillo wasn't landing any punches? Sorry, you just don't let it get to that in the first place, much less wait for bigger harder punches to be thrown.

Quote:
I'm just saying its not exactly so cut and dry like everyone makes it out to be. There's a lot to think about for a defenseman(or any player for that matter) before they just take a 3rd man in. It's a very difficult situation and I'm simply saying I have a hard time really faulting Girardi. This all happened much faster than other situations that are being brought up here.

I'd like to have seen him jump in there, but I'm not going to act like Girardi killed my dog because he didn't.
There are times when its okay to disregard the 3rd man in rule, this was one of them. You don't think about the consequences, you just protect your star, plain and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Golden Boy Girardi should have absolutely stepped in.......can you imagine the uproar on the board if that was Redden or Rozy?

Golden boy gets a free pass for some reason here.l
You think Graves or Beuk wouldve stood by and 'let it play out' ? Hell, even Heartbeat Harvey wouldve gone in there !

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

You think Graves or Beuk wouldve stood by and 'let it play out' ? Hell, even Heartbeat Harvey wouldve gone in there !
Ha, you got me good with this one. Im laughing just thinking about it.

Graves used to drop the gloves if someone sneezed on Messier.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
If you're not willing to defend your best player then you are a piece of **** and shouldn't be playing hockey

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:33 AM
EEL

This completely sums up what's wrong with team. Forget Girardi's lack of emotion and look at the fact the team had plenty of time to get retribution and passed. This team will never win! Blow it up!

EEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
I'm sure gaborik would stick up for a team mate getting double teamed in a bench clearing brawl, so nobody else has any excuses.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:39 AM
ogie

when exactly was Girardi supposed to jump in? it went from normal after the whistle pushing to a fight to gabby on the ice in like 10 seconds.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:40 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
when exactly was Girardi supposed to jump in? it went from normal after the whistle pushing to a fight to gabby on the ice in like 10 seconds.
When he saw Gabby was getting his ass kicked?

Would have taken all of 2 seconds to fly in and starting punching Carcillo.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote