HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Should Girardi have stepped in on the fight

Old
01-22-2010, 11:48 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
when exactly was Girardi supposed to jump in? it went from normal after the whistle pushing to a fight to gabby on the ice in like 10 seconds.
As soon as the gloves came off he should've been there, then as soon as gaborik started taking punches he should've double teamed carcillo.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:51 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
I dont think you can just blame Girardi. The entire team needed to step up and do something throughout the rest of the game. They looked like they were getting pushed around and were timid except for Boyle, Voros and Avery. That isnt good enough.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

It's not just girardi, what happened in front of the net earlier was unacceptable too.

The team needs to learn how to stand up for each other.

Old
01-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

I didn't like how Girardi just stood there even when the fight was over... Atleast get in Carcillo's face or something. He looked like he didn't give a ****.

Yesterday just showed how flawed we are physically. Blame the genious up-stairs for assembling the team...

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:56 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
I know someone in here posted a video of Laviolette's comments but it's not working for me. Anyone have any quotes from him or Flyers players on this?
* He said when asked about Tortorella yelling at him. He said he didn't know until after the game.

* Said he didn't know what he was yelling about
* Gaborik dropped his gloves first
* Carcillo doesn't make a habit of going after the other teams skilled players

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:04 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prk2Lojjmbw

You guys realize that when the defenseman jump into a scrum below the circles the faceoff comes out of the zone? Del Zotto and Girardi aren't part of the initial scrum and don't come in to it until after Gaborik's thrown his gloves.

And if we're going to put all this on Girardi, he at least came in to be there TO jump in if things start getting ugly(Gaborik left that fight without a scratch on him)...MDZ stays above the circles I'm pretty sure the entire time(at least until Girardi jumped in.)
The face off can come back to 2 feet infront of Henrik....I DON'T CARE.

YOU DON'T LET THE OPPOSING TEAMS RESIDENT GOON POUND YOUR TOP PLAYER.

CLOSE GAME OR A BLOW OUT

YOU DON'T ALLOW IT.

END OF DISCUSSION.

I would seriously hate to be teammates with some of the posters here.

If I were on the Rangers bench, I would have a serious discussion with both Girardi and Dizzy in the locker room after the game. A VERY SERIOUS DISCUSSION. As it stands I want to see Girardi shipped out. MDZ I will give the benefit of the doubt to as he is still a youngster, but I would make goodgoddamn sure he know what he needs to do should this BS ever happen again.

disgusting.....

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:09 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Ha, you got me good with this one. Im laughing just thinking about it.

Graves used to drop the gloves if someone sneezed on Messier.
And the funny thing about this is that unlike Gaborik, Messier could actually hold his own in a tussle and STILL Graves jumped in.

The more i think about what happened last night the more I begin to hate Girardi on this team.

The culture of this team needs to change starting with GM/Coach.

Torts showed more passion on the bench than Girardi did on the ice.

this is making my blood boil as I type

Old
01-22-2010, 12:10 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The main issue is overall team toughness. Things like this would never happen if teams were afraid of the Rangers to begin with.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:11 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Yes, and he should be benched for the next couple of games. Call up Sanguinetti, give him another taste of the NHL.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:20 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I dont think you can just blame Girardi. The entire team needed to step up and do something throughout the rest of the game. They looked like they were getting pushed around and were timid except for Boyle, Voros and Avery. That isnt good enough.
It's definitely a teamwide problem, but, as I mentioned in another thread, this is a recurring pattern for Girardi. He stood around while Neil crushed Anisimov with a late hit last week and he stands around whenever Lundqvist gets run.

While team toughness is an organizational issue, Girardi has to shoulder some personal responsibility. I mean, even Wade Redden dropped the gloves a few games ago.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:21 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Gimme a break, the point was Carcillo wasn't landing any punches. You see him throw a haymaker or two or Gaborik lose his helmet, and Girardi STILL doesn't jump in, then lets talk.

It's already been made a point, there's way too many things that negatively happen to a player if they step in like you all want Girardi to. If you're really upset with this outcome, you should be mad at the NHL for making instigator and 3rd man rules so strict and not allowing the players to in a sense self-police the game. Instead it's left all up to the refs, players like Carcillo think they can do whatever they want, and this happens.
Considering that Gaborik himself said that Carcillo landed a few pretty much throws your comment here out the window.

As for the penalties that would have befallen on Girardi, it's a small price to pay when the message that you send to the opposing team, and your own team is that this cannot happen to the Rangers without it being addressed immediately.

It's those types of actions right there that help build team chemistry and form an unspoken bond that you know, in your heart of hearts that the guy wearing the same sweater as you will do anything for you and that that guy knows in his heart of hearts the same about you.

It's those teams that have those beliefs in their teammates that win in the NHL.

It's times like these that you take the NHL out of the equation and address the issue as a team.

Girardi failed. And you are failing in your defence of the player.

Old
01-22-2010, 12:28 PM
John Torturella

This was disgusting. Does anyone on here think that if Avery was out there he would have let Carcillo touch Gaborik? Honestly this team lacks any and all guts, with exception of few. Its really embarrassing.

If Girardi is thinking about penalties as his team's best player is getting his face smashed in by some goon who is a borderline NHLer, he needs to go. The game is one thing. If you lose Gaborik to facial fractures or something like that your season is even more over than its already is.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Nyrvana

This all stems from the Rangers' inability to protect Lundqvist. Now we aren't protecting Gaborik either. You can downplay this as much as you want to, but the comradarie on this team must be so low. Where is the captain Chris Drury? Why does Avery have to take care of business. Even his intangibles are diminishing. The team is frustrating to watch.

I'm glad Torts stood up for Redden in the argument with Brooks.

Also, you can say people are overreacting and to an extent you would be right. But, I think the main theme is that fans see our weaknesses and we want to fix them. We just showed every team that if you play us physically, you're going to beat us. That's not exactly a good message to send out. Anyone who thinks all is ok in Rangerland can go back to your fairytale world. Because, yeah maybe they will rebound and teams won't play us physically all the time. But, that weakness will always be there, until obviously it is fixed.

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:33 PM
NikC

The begining of the season we let Lundvist get run over on a daily basis.
Then we let Calgary concuss our captain. Now we let a scum bag
animal beat on our star player?

We invested how much in an enforcer that can no longer fight?
Or one that the coach won't dress against a dirty rival team?

There's lots of people at fault here. Does anyone in the NYR org. care?

$$$$$$$$$$$$ad

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

My two cents...

Shame on you Dan Girardi. Shame on you!!!

And I am a fan of Dan Girardi, even though his play hasn't been up to par this season. But last nights incident was flat out disgusting for more reasons other than the obvious.

The Rangers now have 11 fights in 3 games. For charachter building and for the purposes of finding an inentity that has been huge. Lots of guys stepped up to theplate when called upon. Aaron Voros now has three scraps, 3 stitches, and a goal in his last two games. Sean Avery had two fights in ast night games alone. Hell even Wade Redden stepped up and dropped themitts the other night. But, when it was Dan Girardi's turn, he sheepishly opted to put the shoulder, sort of like what he does when someone tosses snow in Henrik Face or worse runs Henrik into his own net. Now...If Girardi jumps in, ala Bradley in the Ovechkin/Downie incident even if the team was down a man for the rest of the game, every single memberof that team would have rose to thier feet to applaud Girardi for what he did.

So again, shame on you Dan Girardi!

But I have to ask these question...

If it was Marc Staal would the result have been different? Hell NoIf it was Michael Rozsival would the result have been dofferent? Hell No
If it was Matt Gilroy would the result have been different? Hell No
If it was Michael Del Zotto would the result have been different? Probably notIf it was Wade Redden would the result have been different? Depends on which Redden shows up?

Now substitute those same questions with this...and I think the results will all be immediate!

If it was Shane O`Brien would the result have been the same?
If it was Paul Mara would the result have been the same?
If it was Granett Exelby would the result have been the same?
If it was Anton Volchenkov would theresult have been the same?
If it was Mike Komisarek would thersult have been the same?

At the end of the day this club just doesn't have these types of players.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:40 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
My two cents...

Shame on you Dan Girardi. Shame on you!!!

And I am a fan of Dan Girardi, even though his play hasn't been up to par this season. But last nights incident was flat out disgusting for more reasons other than the obvious.

The Rangers now have 11 fights in 3 games. For charachter building and for the purposes of finding an inentity that has been huge. Lots of guys stepped up to theplate when called upon. Aaron Voros now has three scraps, 3 stitches, and a goal in his last two games. Sean Avery had two fights in ast night games alone. Hell even Wade Redden stepped up and dropped themitts the other night. But, when it was Dan Girardi's turn, he sheepishly opted to put the shoulder, sort of like what he does when someone tosses snow in Henrik Face or worse runs Henrik into his own net. Now...If Girardi jumps in, ala Bradley in the Ovechkin/Downie incident even if the team was down a man for the rest of the game, every single memberof that team would have rose to thier feet to applaud Girardi for what he did.

So again, shame on you Dan Girardi!

But I have to ask these question...

If it was Marc Staal would the result have been different? Hell NoIf it was Michael Rozsival would the result have been dofferent? Hell No
If it was Matt Gilroy would the result have been different? Hell No
If it was Michael Del Zotto would the result have been different? Probably notIf it was Wade Redden would the result have been different? Depends on which Redden shows up?

Now substitute those same questions with this...and I think the results will all be immediate!

If it was Shane O`Brien would the result have been the same?
If it was Paul Mara would the result have been the same?
If it was Granett Exelby would the result have been the same?
If it was Anton Volchenkov would theresult have been the same?
If it was Mike Komisarek would thersult have been the same?

At the end of the day this club just doesn't have these types of players.
There is no way of knowing that.

And did you forget Gilroy dropping the gloves in Tampa when Prospol got steamrolled?

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:48 PM
NikC

if Brashear is done, what stopping them from getting LaRoque...

Today!!!

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
if Brashear is done, what stopping them from getting LaRoque...

Today!!!
So we can have another washed up old man for a fighter?

No thanks

Old
01-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
There is no way of knowing that.

And did you forget Gilroy dropping the gloves in Tampa when Prospol got steamrolled?
I get what you are saying Fly...maybe he would have stepped up. I truly think MDZ would also when I think about it... But the point I am making is that there aren;t gutys on this team that would do it w/out hesitation. And there aren't any players that will do it well either. That to me is the problem.

That is why earlier in the season I tossed this out the proposal in the trade rumors section...

Rick Rypien
Shane O'Brien

for

Chris Higgins
Enver Lisin and a pick

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:09 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
when exactly was Girardi supposed to jump in? it went from normal after the whistle pushing to a fight to gabby on the ice in like 10 seconds.
Watch it again Ogie. Girardi skated to Carcillo unattested and actually put his 2 hands on Carcillos back when he was on top of Gabby.

He had plenty of time to get in there and he knows it. He gets the most blame because he was the closest.
I can take a bad Ranger team, but I CANNOT take a team that doesn't protect its franchise players.

5 of my Ranger fan buddies all who have been fans since the early 70's have said that they have never been so embarrassed to be Ranger fans since the Shultz/Rolfe incident. A few even brought up the game where Dave Brown (Flyers again) cross checked the Rangers best player Tomas Sanstrom in the face in the mid 80s.

The Rangers didn't do dick there either.

Last edited by HAPPY HOUR: 01-22-2010 at 01:15 PM.
HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I get what you are saying Fly...maybe he would have stepped up. I truly think MDZ would also when I think about it... But the point I am making is that there aren;t gutys on this team that would do it w/out hesitation. And there aren't any players that will do it well either. That to me is the problem.

That is why earlier in the season I tossed this out the proposal in the trade rumors section...

Rick Rypien
Shane O'Brien

for

Chris Higgins
Enver Lisin and a pick
He had the opportunity last night. He was the closest Ranger player when the fight happened and backed away. That is when Girardi came into view. He is as much to blame as Girardi.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cairbre

Penguins fan here coming in peace- Just saw the Torts post- game you tube clip, and was wondering, what exactly did Brooks write regarding Redden fighting? Seemed to have Torts pretty unhappy.

Cairbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:14 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairbre View Post
Penguins fan here coming in peace- Just saw the Torts post- game you tube clip, and was wondering, what exactly did Brooks write regarding Redden fighting? Seemed to have Torts pretty unhappy.
He called him Wade " Golden Gloves" Redden in an article that mocked his abilty as a player and his refusal to get involved physically/emotionally until the game against the Habs.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
He had the opportunity last night. He was the closest Ranger player when the fight happened and backed away. That is when Girardi came into view. He is as much to blame as Girardi.
I disagree.

Del Zotto was keeping in mind that if he went below the faceoff circle, the faceoff would come outside. The fight was just starting then and nothing was really going on.

Once it got completely out of hand, Girardi was the bystander.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I disagree.

Del Zotto was keeping in mind that if he went below the faceoff circle, the faceoff would come outside. The fight was just starting then and nothing was really going on.

Once it got completely out of hand, Girardi was the bystander.
I would have no problem if it was Dubi or Boyle fighting Carcillo. But when it's your best player against the other team's goon, he's gotta forget about where the faceoff will be and he's gotta help his teammate.

I will give him somewhat of a pass because he's young but this kind of stuff is done all of the time at lower levels than the NHL. I was wondering if anyone was at Foxwoods last night and if they were, did they ask Fotiu, Graves or Duguay what they thought of the fight? I'm sure they would have backed a teammate getting a game misconduct and putting his team down a player AND having the faceoff outside the zone rather than not defending your teammate.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote