HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I am an Oiler fan!

Old
01-22-2010, 01:04 AM
Cider_

vCash: 500
Great post I'm in the same boat. Wore my oil hoodie and hat today too.

Cider_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 04:04 AM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
This is the acceptance phase of the Kubler-Ross grief Cycle.
Methinks there are a fair share of Oilers fans still mired in degrees of denial, anger, bargaining, AND depression. I'm curious to know how the OP has apparently successfully managed to navigate the full gamut.

The demonstration of loyalty and encouragement throughout this post is nice, but I'll tell you what: we'll see just how many true Oilers fans there are based on the attendance at home games down the stretch.

The frequency of attending or ordering pay-per-view reflects where the Oilers are in priority for the fan dollar. Fair enough. No one is asking Oilers Nation to be delusional. I think it's human nature to invest in relevant and personally exciting activities - losing streaks such as ours ain't so exciting.

But I've read and heard far too often from Oilers fans that have run down other fanbases (primarily American) for their refusal to "support their team" and attend games. "If Phoenix/Long Island/Raleigh/Columbus, etc. can't sell out their building, they aren't a true hockey market and don't deserve their team. Pull 'em out of there and move them to Winnipeg".

And yet, on any given home night we have difficulty filling seats, despite what ol' Patrick would have us believe. Fans have the "right" to speak about their unhappiness with the franchise with their feet. Absolutely. But let's not be so high and mighty in criticizing other markets that see fans doing much the same. Sorry, but we haven't much mud to sling unless we can brazenly announce legit sell outs despite our re-building phase (or whatever term you want to use to describe what's being produced on the ice right now).

As the OP alluded to, you can be a "true" fan and confess that you're less excited about the game on any given evening than you would otherwise be were the Oilers doing well in the standings. I suggest you can also be a "true" fan and voice your displeasure with the on-ice product while you're sitting in your seat at Rexall. Damn, you can be a "true" fan and attend games less often on account of the market and/or personal priorities.

But the people that consider themselves "true" fans better not be the ones running down other fanbases while failing to do their part in supporting their own franchise by attending and purchasing (pay-per-view) games. "True" fans don't balk at purchasing tickets altogether as a stance to take; they attend and express themselves by wearing bags over their heads. Otherwise, it reflects a bad case of hypocrisy and of evoking a double standard.

At the risk of touching some nerves, that would be MY declaration.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 04:57 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookers9 View Post

But I've read and heard far too often from Oilers fans that have run down other fanbases (primarily American) for their refusal to "support their team" and attend games. "If Phoenix/Long Island/Raleigh/Columbus, etc. can't sell out their building, they aren't a true hockey market and don't deserve their team. Pull 'em out of there and move them to Winnipeg".

And yet, on any given home night we have difficulty filling seats, despite what ol' Patrick would have us believe. Fans have the "right" to speak about their unhappiness with the franchise with their feet. Absolutely. But let's not be so high and mighty in criticizing other markets that see fans doing much the same. Sorry, but we haven't much mud to sling unless we can brazenly announce legit sell outs despite our re-building phase (or whatever term you want to use to describe what's being produced on the ice right now).

As the OP alluded to, you can be a "true" fan and confess that you're less excited about the game on any given evening than you would otherwise be were the Oilers doing well in the standings. I suggest you can also be a "true" fan and voice your displeasure with the on-ice product while you're sitting in your seat at Rexall. Damn, you can be a "true" fan and attend games less often on account of the market and/or personal priorities.

But the people that consider themselves "true" fans better not be the ones running down other fanbases while failing to do their part in supporting their own franchise by attending and purchasing (pay-per-view) games. "True" fans don't balk at purchasing tickets altogether as a stance to take; they attend and express themselves by wearing bags over their heads. Otherwise, it reflects a bad case of hypocrisy and of evoking a double standard.
No comparison at all. In places like Columbus you can buy a 24 pack of coke cans on sale and get Blue Jackets tickets FREE.

You're comparing the worst club in the league right now(well pretty much) with one of the most antiquated buildings, that is absolutely the worst home club, that has high concessions prices, high ticket prices, with places you get into practically free that can't sell out.

For the price of 1 ticket here you can get into several US markets with 8 tickets for your buddies and hot dogs, popcorn and pop..

Any of the markets people mock here are pathetic markets in that you can't even give tickets away.

For several clubs that are far better than what we get.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:09 PM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
No comparison at all. In places like Columbus you can buy a 24 pack of coke cans on sale and get Blue Jackets tickets FREE.

You're comparing the worst club in the league right now(well pretty much) with one of the most antiquated buildings, that is absolutely the worst home club, that has high concessions prices, high ticket prices, with places you get into practically free that can't sell out.

For the price of 1 ticket here you can get into several US markets with 8 tickets for your buddies and hot dogs, popcorn and pop..

Any of the markets people mock here are pathetic markets in that you can't even give tickets away.

For several clubs that are far better than what we get.

True... though while I agree that you'd have to consider both in relative context, bottom line is that when you balk on attending games when you would otherwise do so (assuming that you can afford to go), you aren't supporting your team. And on that basis alone, there remains a strong link whether it's between Edmonton and Columbus, or Edmonton and Phoenix. You may well be communicating your unhappiness with what you're seeing on the ice, but bums aren't in the seats - in this case in a "hockey market".

My point is that it's easy to buy in (literally) when your team is faring well. If you're legit, you'll continue to do so even during re-building. Truth is, Phoenix's situation supports your point - the Coyotes ARE winning, and the fans still aren't coming. Fair enough, but my focus is less on other markets and more on ours - particularly when we scold others for their lack of attendance/support.

My previous post I'd "afforded" for some apathy to be found in the collective fandom during lean years, and how it's predictable that tickets won't be such a hot sell. All I'm saying is that Oilers fans need to be wary of how they communicate their displeasure toward Lowebellini et. al, that it isn't simply by bailing altogether from purchasing tix or ppv. It smacks of finger-pointing and double standards.

IMO.

Old
01-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Lounge Act*

The thing is though, if the Oilers were where the Coyotes are in the standings this city would be pissing rainbows and there would a new thread on the NHL talk forum every time Hemsky...there's just no way to finish that gracefully. Even in my head it sounded too vulgar

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
True... though while I agree that you'd have to consider both in relative context, bottom line is that when you balk on attending games when you would otherwise do so (assuming that you can afford to go), you aren't supporting your team. And on that basis alone, there remains a strong link whether it's between Edmonton and Columbus, or Edmonton and Phoenix. You may well be communicating your unhappiness with what you're seeing on the ice, but bums aren't in the seats - in this case in a "hockey market".

My point is that it's easy to buy in (literally) when your team is faring well. If you're legit, you'll continue to do so even during re-building. Truth is, Phoenix's situation supports your point - the Coyotes ARE winning, and the fans still aren't coming. Fair enough, but my focus is less on other markets and more on ours - particularly when we scold others for their lack of attendance/support.

My previous post I'd "afforded" for some apathy to be found in the collective fandom during lean years, and how it's predictable that tickets won't be such a hot sell. All I'm saying is that Oilers fans need to be wary of how they communicate their displeasure toward Lowebellini et. al, that it isn't simply by bailing altogether from purchasing tix or ppv. It smacks of finger-pointing and double standards.

IMO.
The org is doing it to itself. By continually misrepresenting its product to paying fans. Each spring and missed playoffs the club makes big promises, offers apologies, makes bold statements that the problems will all be addressed and we'll get it right next season.

Followed by the typical do nothing offseason.

Followed by another disastrous season.

But lately the saddest thing is the Oilers org in its recent fan satisfaction survey asking fans what degree of ticket increase they would find suitable next year.

Yes, increase.

The oilers charge more to get in for an Oil Kings games than most teams in the league charge for their cheapest seats.

Just think about that.

Look at this for one of the best clubs in the league:

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=46586

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=46587

Sign me up.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:31 PM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lounge Act View Post
The thing is though, if the Oilers were where the Coyotes are in the standings this city would be pissing rainbows and there would a new thread on the NHL talk forum every time Hemsky...there's just no way to finish that gracefully. Even in my head it sounded too vulgar
I completely agree. This is far more of a hockey market. No argument there.

But commitment among fans in said hockey markets translates into attendance at games regardless of the team's record or recent struggles.

That's what fans do. They attend and cheer... or jeer, for that matter. Or wear aforementioned bags on heads as statements. Or drink another beer to ease the pain of watching the ppv broadcast. At least there's some humour or tongue-in-cheek in that approach rather than stating: I don't like the direction of the team, therefore I'll communicate my disenchantment via absence until they're back on the right track.

That's what you get in "lesser" markets. I'd like to think we're an example of a "greater" one.

Old
01-22-2010, 12:41 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:

IMO.
You make some very valid points and I would like you to consider one other.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, the Oilers had missed the playoffs in 2006, which almost happened, then they would now have missed the playoffs for 6 seasons in a row.

What do you think the impact would have been on the fanbase.

I would wager there would be many empty seats at Rexall based on the teams current state and I'm guessing missing the playoffs for next 2-3 years, which is likely, will have the same result.

The 2006 cup run gave the team a reprieve but I think you'll find a slow erosion of interest in the team unless Laforge, Lowe and Tambellini can successfully spin the Eberle, MPS, Hall story the way they spun the Gagner, Cogliano, Nilsson yarn.

While the prospect pool looks like it might be a little stronger, at the same time the veteran presence on the team has actually regressed and the net result will likely be the same.

Oiler fans are among the most loyal in the world but they're also not stupid and, at some point, are going to demand some performance in return for forking over tickets that are among the highest priced in the league.

The fact that the STH survey that was sent out a couple of weeks ago asking how much of an increase in prices they would accept almost borders on the absurd.

Have the Oilers costs risen in any appreciable way? Not that I can imagine.

Have ticket prices, parking, concessions etc. been rising at high rates since the lockout? Yes they have.

Where is the justification for any kind of increase?

Absurd.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:04 PM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The org is doing it to itself. By continually misrepresenting its product to paying fans. Each spring and missed playoffs the club makes big promises, offers apologies, makes bold statements that the problems will all be addressed and we'll get it right next season.

Followed by the typical do nothing offseason.

Followed by another disastrous season.

But lately the saddest thing is the Oilers org in its recent fan satisfaction survey asking fans what degree of ticket increase they would find suitable next year.
Quote:
Oiler fans are among the most loyal in the world but they're also not stupid and, at some point, are going to demand some performance in return for forking over tickets that are among the highest priced in the league.

The fact that the STH survey that was sent out a couple of weeks ago asking how much of an increase in prices they would accept almost borders on the absurd.

Have the Oilers costs risen in any appreciable way? Not that I can imagine.

Have ticket prices, parking, concessions etc. been rising at high rates since the lockout? Yes they have.

Where is the justification for any kind of increase?

Absurd.
Fo sho. I hold 1/3 of a pair of tickets myself, so don't get the impression that I'm pleased about the prospects of an increase either. Particularly in light of the product.

But I'm thinking that we need to differentiate between supporting the team and supporting the management/ownership, however difficult it may be.

We can speak loud and clear through such surveys - even these boards! - that we are not pleased with the direction of our team let alone the cost of attending to watch it.

But when we choose to not attend games (in particular), we are not contributing in a positive way to the players that are signed under contract and who turn to the team's fan base for support.

I can fully appreciate folks who gauge through their budget that they can no longer attend Oilers games on account of annual increases. But for those that CAN afford to attend and would otherwise do so, I believe there are better means of communicating displeasure than by absence. Such absence only contributes to the problem if you agree that - to some extent - a team's performance is linked to fan support... which in turn is linked to said team's performance.

Old
01-22-2010, 01:06 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Fo sho. I hold 1/3 of a pair of tickets myself, so don't get the impression that I'm pleased about the prospects of an increase either. Particularly in light of the product.

But I'm thinking that we need to differentiate between supporting the team and supporting the management/ownership, however difficult it may be.

We can speak loud and clear through such surveys - even these boards! - that we are not pleased with the direction of our team let alone the cost of attending to watch it.

But when we choose to not attend games (in particular), we are not contributing in a positive way to the players that are signed under contract and who turn to the team's fan base for support.

I can fully appreciate folks who gauge through their budget that they can no longer attend Oilers games on account of annual increases. But for those that CAN afford to attend and would otherwise do so, I believe there are better means of communicating displeasure than by absence. Such absence only contributes to the problem if you agree that - to some extent - a team's performance is linked to fan support... which in turn is linked to said team's performance.
IMO dropping revenue is the ONLY message from the fans that will be heard.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:30 PM
dookers9

Quote:
IMO dropping revenue is the ONLY message from the fans that will be heard.
You could very well be right. Oilers management from top down gives the impression that despite their deep various connections with the community at large, they are daft in receiving messages of criticism.

Regardless, if attendance winds up dropping as a means - perhaps the sole? - of communicating fans' collective disenchantment, then as a whole they should be prepared to grin and bear it when others cite the empty seats.

I maintain the opinion that if you're going to throw rocks - for whatever reason - you better not be doing so from the porch of your glass house. The PGT thread from the Canucks game showed some barbing back and forth about the consistency of attendance in the respective buildings... well, let's not cut the Canuck fan base down for their questionable attendance in 2003 if we don't intend on holding up our end of the bargain in 2010 and ahead.

There's no doubt that Oiler Nation is a phenomenal fanbase. Attending games, regardless of the circumstances, is to some extent a reflection of just how phenomenal it is.