HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What To Do About Arnott, Captaincy, 1st Line Center, Etc

Old
01-22-2010, 03:10 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
What To Do About Arnott, Captaincy, 1st Line Center, Etc

So nobody really knows what is going on with Arnott. I would argue that he has probably been the best Captain of our young franchise but it is also evident that he isnt the player that he was 2 years ago.

Is it age? Is it injury? Is it quitting on a coach or a system? We may never know.
What we do know is that he seems to be playing at half the pace, urgency, and intensity that we have come to rely on as our top line center.

He has 1 year left on his contract after this season I believe.

So my discussion starter is this: What do we do with him going forward? Who are possible targets for that 1st line center position? And who is our captain in waiting?

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
This is a pretty simple situation for me ... strip him of his captaincy ... give it to Weber ... and trade that bad apple as quickly as possible for anything and go hunting for a Center in the draft & FA pool this offseason, or if worse comes to worse ... trade for one

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Predaleafs

Trade him to Toronto. They need a center. Possible situation.

Arnott and a 2nd and Laakso for White,Stajan,Ponikarovski.

Gives toronto number 1 center needed and gives us 3 players that but the heart on there sleeve and never gives up. Even deal i see maybe we over pay as these guys are all needing to be resigned but we got the cap to do it. All will want 3 mill ish

Predaleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 03:43 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

What I would do in a perfect world:

-Strip Arnott of the captaincy and give the C to Sullivan or Dumont with the intention of eventually giving it to Weber or Suter.
-Trade Arnott. If he can get his offense going, he'll still have enough value to another team to warrant taking on his contract, but he's a millstone to us with his lack of effort.
-Sign Tomas Plekanec to a 2-year, $6.5M contract. This allows us to slowly bring Wilson along and giving us an extra $1M to work with.

A more realistic version of what I would do:
-Strip Arnott of the captaincy, give it to Sullivan or Dumont, and give Arnott an A for the final year of his contract.
-Explore trade options, but a buyer will not likely be found.

What Poile and Trotz will likely do:

-Absolutely nothing, because Arnott is playing really well.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 04:00 PM
predfan24

These threads are useless without knowing how Arnott is in the locker room and how he is viewed amongst the boys. Something tells me the true answer is far from what everybody wants it to be. Arnott is in a slump right now and hopefully he comes out of it because we need are "primary" scorers scoring. It's supposed to be Arnott, Dumont, Sully leading the way offensively with Erat, Leggy, Hornqvist, Goc, Jones hopefully providing secondary scoring. It's been opposite lately. Weber will get the C when he signs a new contract and Arny's is up. Simple as that

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 04:01 PM
predfan98

Arnott is going to wear that until his contract is up. They won't disturb the locker room while he is here. And the reality of Nashville means he will be here for the next year and a half. I can't see a trade happening.

The future first line center.... we've got a lot riding on Wilson. Hope he lives up to it.

As a side note, I'd love to see Goc develop, stay here and catch fire. He doesn't seem to have any "quit" in him.

The future captain? Weber may be the popular choice...... But I prefer Suter. He acts responsibly on the ice, interacts with the refs, etc. He's a leader. Weber, well, I am not in the locker room and don't see the interactions.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Whoa, are you guys serious???

No, Arnott has taken a step back and isn't the same player he was when he first arrived, but anyone thinking he wasn't going to age is fooling themselves...

Arnott is playing through a couple of injuries right now and while it is hampering his play, neither will heal until maybe the Olympic Break, but more likely not until the offseason. While he isn't playing like a dominant physical force out there, I don't think that has ever been his MO and has actually been a criticism of him throughout his career...

Entering this season, Arnott couldn't be considered a true No. 1 center in the league anymore. Rather, it was Arnott as a 1a and Legwand a 1b type of situation where both were likely to push 18-20 minutes a night and be called upon to face the opposition's top line depending on the opposition's center. Arnott provides us with a big body to play against the Joe Thornton's and Ryan Getzlaf's of the league, while Legwand matches up against the more speedy and skilled centers of the league like Jonathan Toews and Paul Stastny.

We don't have a No. 1 center and probably haven't for at least a season, but by no means does that mean that we're gonna go out and acquire someone to fill that role, nor does it mean we're going to jettison anyone, nor strip Arnott of his captaincy. What has he done to deserve that???

Colin Wilson is our homegrown solution to our future No. 1 center and until he proves that he is ready for that job, both Arnott and Legwand will be called upon to fill that role in the interm. Only if Wilson proves that he is not a solution there will we go out and try to sign another veteran to serve as a No. 1 center.

What will we do moving forward this season? I think we'll continue to see Arnott out there as a scoring line center, we will continue to see the coaching staff work to match our centers defensively to generate an advantage, and we will continue to see several streaky players playing on our roster until they get healthy...

As for our future captain, it would be hard to argue with either Weber or Suter as leading candidates, but I think Legwand might be in the mix there as well. This really isn't a question I think that'll be pondered internally until next offseason after Arnott's contract has expired...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 04:11 PM
jstreet

well that is why we are discussing it. It is looking like he probably doesnt need to be signed to any sort of extension and that we need to start thinking forward.

When he came on he gave us that force up front that we never had. We dont seem to have that anymore.

I dont want to rush Wilson but I do hope he pulls a Hornqvist on us next season.

I have no idea why, but Im leaning towards Suter. I guess I just want to see an American leading us to glory.

Old
01-22-2010, 04:12 PM
predfan24

Also, Trotz has been doing this along time and knows what he is doing. If Arnott wasn't a respected captain he wouldn't be the captain. Simple as that.

Old
01-22-2010, 04:14 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post

I have no idea why, but Im leaning towards Suter. I guess I just want to see an American leading us to glory.
He could def a candidate as well. The fact he was named as an alternate captain for Team USA shocked me as I didn't expect it. His leadership skills must be very underrated.

Old
01-22-2010, 04:14 PM
jstreet

just curious, how would you guys rate our captains in order of best to worst.

Old
01-22-2010, 04:19 PM
PredsChik

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
He could def a candidate as well. The fact he was named as an alternate captain for Team USA shocked me as I didn't expect it. His leadership skills must be very underrated.
I had thought he would be in the mix but figured he'd be beat out by the likes of Drury and Rafalski so needless to say, I was very excited. He's represented the US more than any other person on that team (9 times) and was the captain of the 05 US WJC team.

edit:
As to the topic, I don't think Arnott needs to be stripped of the "C" or traded just to get rid of him. Should the right circumstance come along, sure, but I don't see him fetching the right circumstance imo. I also fully believe that he's respected in the locker room and you can tell by the little side anecdotes that are on the website and on the broadcasts. Maybe that's something that I pick up on because I'm an emotionally attached chick but you'd be able to tell if they didn't respect him.

Last edited by PredsChik: 01-22-2010 at 04:25 PM.
PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Suter has served as a captain on virtually every level of the USA Hockey program he has participated in. Suter was the captain of the last gold medal winning WJC team (2004 or 2005?).

Ryan is a lead by example type of captain, but knows how to say the right things when necessary. Honestly, he'd be my pick for team captain if I really had to decide because of the tremendous respect and honor he has for the game, his team, and the uniform...

Old
01-22-2010, 06:53 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predaleafs View Post
Trade him to Toronto. They need a center. Possible situation.

Arnott and a 2nd and Laakso for White,Stajan,Ponikarovski.

Gives toronto number 1 center needed and gives us 3 players that but the heart on there sleeve and never gives up. Even deal i see maybe we over pay as these guys are all needing to be resigned but we got the cap to do it. All will want 3 mill ish
Could that trade even be a possibility?

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
Could that trade even be a possibility?
Not unless Arnott waives his NMC...

Old
01-22-2010, 07:19 PM
jstreet

Toronto's draft pick well is bone dry. They are gonna try to get those in on any return this season's deadline.

Old
01-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Seth Lake

Arnott just landed on one of his injuries...he is in a lot of pain and hopefully he won't miss anymore games.

Old
01-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Arnott just landed on one of his injuries...he is in a lot of pain and hopefully he won't miss anymore games.
rub some dirt on it ... or get a thicker maxi

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
rub some dirt on it ... or get a thicker maxi
Thankfully he didn't miss a shift, but if you knew what he was playing threw you wouldn't make a comment like that...

Fortunately we have a couple days off now to rest, but will be interesting to see if he practices Sunday...

Old
01-23-2010, 03:37 AM
thejlb*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
So nobody really knows what is going on with Arnott. I would argue that he has probably been the best Captain of our young franchise but it is also evident that he isnt the player that he was 2 years ago.

Is it age? Is it injury? Is it quitting on a coach or a system? We may never know.
What we do know is that he seems to be playing at half the pace, urgency, and intensity that we have come to rely on as our top line center.

He has 1 year left on his contract after this season I believe.

So my discussion starter is this: What do we do with him going forward? Who are possible targets for that 1st line center position? And who is our captain in waiting?
I know I've said it before, but man when Arnott is on he is a force to be reckoned with, then when he's off he tends to be a little lazy, it's either lazy or getting older and it just appears to be lazy.

Don't hear alot about it but I know he speaks his mind, not so sure that makes him a good captain or not, but he needs to do it.

I know this isn't gonna go over well, but I really think Legwand can take on 1st line center, and captain for that matter . It might take a bit to get him out of defense first mentality. I know he doesn't the most goals but he does almost everything else.
As also stated before Smithson-Goc- whoever you want would make a good shut down line.

I really think Weber will be the next Captain.

thejlb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 10:12 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
I know we're all excited about Wilson.. but did you forget about Cal O'Reilly? He's built to be a first/second line center, that when he actually gets ice time in Nashville is able to produce, or create plays.

Arnott was voted captain by the team, not by the coaches. That's all I will say on that.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 10:30 AM
thejlb*

I haven't forgotten about O'Reily. I love the kid and would willing give up goc to make him a permanent addition to our team. Unfortunately its not my decision to make. I fear he's gonna end up like Peverley. If I'm correct he only has a few more games before he has to start clearing waivers.

thejlb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 10:49 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
next time he's called up, and plays a game, he'll have to clear waivers. (unless it's an emergency call up)

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:49 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Thankfully he didn't miss a shift, but if you knew what he was playing threw you wouldn't make a comment like that...

Fortunately we have a couple days off now to rest, but will be interesting to see if he practices Sunday...
If he's hurt that badly, he shouldn't have been playing in the first place.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 01:59 PM
predfan98

Quote:

What is the injury?

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote