HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Rangers Need To FINALLY Get Tougher!!

Old
01-22-2010, 05:53 PM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
People may call my a cynic, and they are probably right, but I just don't like the groceries in this shopping cart.

I've been saying for years and years how we field a team of marys year in and year out. Our Captain has to be the biggest mary of them all. It's really sad....

Our one elite skater is beat up and nothing happens.

Like...how is that even possible????

Sather ha NO IDEA I repeat NO IDEA what a Stanley Cup team looks like. If he did, he wouldn't sign the same garbage year after year. Not every team is lucky enough to have the kind of talent of the mid 80's Oilers.

Did I mention I hate Sather?
I have a hard time calling Drury the biggest mary of all, especially with this bunch. The guy completely disregards his body to block shots, he's played injured multiple times here. He came back pretty quick after that Glencross hit as well. He may be a shell of the player he was in his prime, when he was one of the tougher guys at his size you'll see in the NHL, and he may be overpaid, but he's just not. What's unfortunate is we don't have someone to compliment him the way Shanny did. Drury is a pretty level-headed guy, so is Cally. Prospal's intense but doesn't strike me as the same build as Shanny.

There's more to toughness than willingness to drop the gloves, if last night doesn't illustrate that I don't know what does.

What this team needs is players that can actually hit. Marc Staal and MDZ deliver some big hits on the blueline every once in awhile, but generally this team makes me yearn for the days when we had Kasparitis and Hollweg. They had PLENTY of faults in their game but at least they brought an element that no one else brought to the team. This team has players full of faults, and they're all the same faults. Can't hit, can't find consistent offense, pretty much all 3rd liners and 2nd pair defenseman, etc.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 06:10 PM
JerseyRangers

This team is missing a thumper on the back end, something we haven't had since Beuk retired. Up front we need a bonafide power forward on the top two lines as well as a couple of agitators/big hitters/in your face forwards for the bottom two lines.

Not sure how you fill all those slots but Sather has got to start adding players who can play that style.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 06:16 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I have a hard time calling Drury the biggest mary of all, especially with this bunch. The guy completely disregards his body to block shots, he's played injured multiple times here. He came back pretty quick after that Glencross hit as well. He may be a shell of the player he was in his prime, when he was one of the tougher guys at his size you'll see in the NHL, and he may be overpaid, but he's just not. What's unfortunate is we don't have someone to compliment him the way Shanny did. Drury is a pretty level-headed guy, so is Cally. Prospal's intense but doesn't strike me as the same build as Shanny.

There's more to toughness than willingness to drop the gloves, if last night doesn't illustrate that I don't know what does.

What this team needs is players that can actually hit. Marc Staal and MDZ deliver some big hits on the blueline every once in awhile, but generally this team makes me yearn for the days when we had Kasparitis and Hollweg. They had PLENTY of faults in their game but at least they brought an element that no one else brought to the team. This team has players full of faults, and they're all the same faults. Can't hit, can't find consistent offense, pretty much all 3rd liners and 2nd pair defenseman, etc.
Drury is tough with respect to he will throw himself in front of shots and play hurt. HOWEVER, Drury has stopped going to the tough parts of the ice and engaging the opponent in the corners or in front of the net. Same with too many other forwards on this team. Just like courage is contagious so is being a *****. When guys like Drury, Prospal, and co. shy away from contact other players start to do the same. Last nite you had two guys who consistently stayed on the Flyers and where willing to fight in the trenches. Too often its just Avery and Cally and your not going to win many games against physical opponetns when those are the only guys willing to pay the price in the corners and infront of the net.

As to the d we haven't had a physical thumper back there since Beuk patrolled the blue line. Way too long if you ask me.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 12:02 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
This team is missing a thumper on the back end, something we haven't had since Beuk retired. Up front we need a bonafide power forward on the top two lines as well as a couple of agitators/big hitters/in your face forwards for the bottom two lines.

Not sure how you fill all those slots but Sather has got to start adding players who can play that style.
Been needing these two things forever. But, I guess out of stubborness Sather decides he will thumb his nose at reality and make it work out his way. Arrogance does that to a person.

The draft is only part of the equation. So it looks like things have improved on that part, but he keeps taking steps backward at the same time.
I wish that Kotalik rumour about him wanting to get out of dodge right now was true. Would I ever love to hear Sather answer the question "So, what was it about Ales Kotalik that grabbed your interest, got you excited? You obviously saw more in him than just his big slapshot, Glen. It must have been his dedication and extra effort. Please elaborate on that. Glen? Don't slam the door like that Glen, we still have 20 minutes. Glen???"

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 05:38 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

the team clearly lacks guts. Yeah maybe it results in a dumb penalty, but seriously its worth the occasional brain cramp.

callahan, dubinsky, avery, voros and in the last week or so boyle. These guys give a hoot. Granted voros has been a healthy scratch, and boyle has been skating on the 4th line so they have nothing to lose. But the other 3 in cally, dubi and avery at least take the body, forecheck and don't put up with stuff like taking runs at their players when they are on the ice.

So keep them.

at this point I don't care if the team makes the playoffs or not, but what I don't want to see is the teams franchise players getting run or dropping the mitts.

some have said that MG did ok, I will remind those who take that position that MG is one groin pull away from a season long IR trip. Not to mention that throwing punches is bad for a goal scorers hands. Thats a losing proposition from the start. MG should NEVER have to drop the gloves, ever, never, ever. The great one had semenko, MG needs a guy to make sure carcillo doesn't even THINK about it.

brash is brash, but he isn't the answer either not to mention the cap hit.

I reckon the kids get a pass in Anisimov (who wouldn't know a forecheck if it hit him in the head), Del Zotto and Gilroy who have a huge learning curve, Staal obviously is going to be the main man. They are still developing, and very easy on the cap hit.

this leaves
Lisin
Drury
Higgins
Prospal
Kotalik
Christensen

Prospal I would give a pass as he is here on a one year deal, and does appear to care about his teammates

Drury is already a whipping boy, nobody will take that contract so we are stuck with him

Lisin ? speed game is nice, but its not enough on the balance sheet
Higgins ? very little physical presence, plus not scoring ? buh bye

Kotalik ? tell me why slats is paying him like 3 mega bucks a season ?

Christensen is more a symbol of how the team has fared and sunk to this point. gonzo.

of that list, I think only higgins might fetch a decent return.

not a lot that can be done, but seriously if this list can't do something when henke gets run, or when drury gets blindsided or when MG has to do his own fighting ? get rid of them

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Balej20*

The only time a Sather led Ranger team has had any kind of toughness in the lineup was that year when they had Simon, McCarthy, Purinton, Fleury etc. Those teams sucked, but every Isle/Ranger game was a blast!

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 02:10 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Maybe the Flyers want Girardi?

After all he did play great for them the other night.

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...188&feedID=695

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 12:33 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
The only time a Sather led Ranger team has had any kind of toughness in the lineup was that year when they had Simon, McCarthy, Purinton, Fleury etc. Those teams sucked, but every Isle/Ranger game was a blast!
YES!

BOYLE PLAYS LIKE A TEENY ONE.....IS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM RIGHT NOW...

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote