HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Why the hate against Larry?

View Poll Results: What do you think about Larry Brooks?
I like him a lot 39 21.43%
He ok 44 24.18%
I'm neutral 31 17.03%
Not my cup of tea 29 15.93%
Can't stand him 39 21.43%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-22-2010, 06:19 PM
levski87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneAgeWitt View Post
Here's the problem with Larry:

The Islanders over the last 13 games, 10-2-1.

The Rangers have 1 regulation LOSS in their 12 games.

The Islanders and Rangers are playing identical for the past month or so.

One is a feel good story, the league can't get enough notice.

One can't do a thing right, one loss, fire Sather, the world is ending.

A lot of why the Isles are embraced is because of the type of journalistic work Katie Strang and Chris Botta are doing. People like to listen to those "above" them.

Are there negative things about the Isles? Of course.. are you hearing about them? No, because WINNING and moving up in the standings is more important than what's negative right now.

Our writers make sure to emphasize the positive over the negative.

Not for Larry, not for the Rangers - and instead, this board is constantly negative. I don't know why, but I just feel this negativity when I come over here. And why that is for a team that has kept pace with a red hot Isles, whom can't get enough good press - is ridiculous.

If anything, one regulation loss in the last 12 games is a huge accomplishment. Why is that Larry Brooks fails to write about such? His negativity is daunting.
Good post.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 06:31 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Here's the problem with Larry:

The Islanders over the last 13 games, 10-2-1.

The Rangers have 1 regulation LOSS in their 12 games.

The Islanders and Rangers are playing identical for the past month or so.

One is a feel good story, the league can't get enough notice.

One can't do a thing right, one loss, fire Sather, the world is ending.

A lot of why the Isles are embraced is because of the type of journalistic work Katie Strang and Chris Botta are doing. People like to listen to those "above" them.

Are there negative things about the Isles? Of course.. are you hearing about them? No, because WINNING and moving up in the standings is more important than what's negative right now.

Our writers make sure to emphasize the positive over the negative.

Not for Larry, not for the Rangers - and instead, this board is constantly negative. I don't know why, but I just feel this negativity when I come over here. And why that is for a team that has kept pace with a red hot Isles, whom can't get enough good press - is ridiculous.

If anything, one regulation loss in the last 12 games is a huge accomplishment. Why is that Larry Brooks fails to write about such? His negativity is daunting.
You don't see how these two teams are in totally different situations, despite the similarity of their records?

The Islanders are competing for the 8th playoff spot the season after they finished last in the league. The Rangers, for the 5th consecutive season, are one of the league's most average teams, still being carried by two players just as they were 5 years ago. And since the team is in a colossal cap quagmire, there is no end to the mediocrity in sight.

There is very little to feel good about with the Rangers right now. Another first round playoff exit is not what this team needs at this juncture.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 06:41 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
You don't see how these two teams are in totally different situations, despite the similarity of their records?

The Islanders are competing for the 8th playoff spot the season after they finished last in the league. The Rangers, for the 5th consecutive season, are one of the league's most average teams, still being carried by two players just as they were 5 years ago. And since the team is in a colossal cap quagmire, there is no end to the mediocrity in sight.

There is very little to feel good about with the Rangers right now. Another first round playoff exit is not what this team needs at this juncture.
Well, that's one way to look at it, and of course Larry would look at it like that, too. Than again, you're still ahead of the Isles and you still have a pretty damn good record over the past month or so.

You would never know with posts like this. It's one thing to expect more than a roster is capable of giving, or not giving credit to a roster playing even or above of what they are capable of doing.

I think it is a mix of in the middle for the Rangers, but at the end of the day: This "average" team is still in 7th and still capable of finishing as high as 5th, even 4th with a solid run.

Why all this doom and gloom? ANYTHING can happen in the playoffs, and as of right now, that's where you stand.

Do I think Glen Sather has assembled the best roster? No, no amount of wins are going to shield that, but the roster is still capable of doing great things. Especially with a guy like Henrik at the backend. We see it all the time, average teams go the distance because of goaltending. Don't make me post the many examples over the years.

Cheer up guys, jesus.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 06:42 PM
savebyrichter420

savebyrichter420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by savebyrichter420 View Post
lol... that's when he looked back to see who laughed at Torts' joke making fun of him.

Best part.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 07:10 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Well, that's one way to look at it, and of course Larry would look at it like that, too. Than again, you're still ahead of the Isles and you still have a pretty damn good record over the past month or so.
The last time the Rangers beat a team that is currently ahead of them in the standings was December 5th. The stretch that they just finished was the easiest of the season, filled with games against teams even worse than they are.

Quote:
You would never know with posts like this. It's one thing to expect more than a roster is capable of giving, or not giving credit to a roster playing even or above of what they are capable of doing.
I'm not sure what this means.

Quote:
I think it is a mix of in the middle for the Rangers, but at the end of the day: This "average" team is still in 7th and still capable of finishing as high as 5th, even 4th with a solid run.
And just as easily, they could be in 13th place in the conference.

Quote:
Why all this doom and gloom? ANYTHING can happen in the playoffs, and as of right now, that's where you stand.

Do I think Glen Sather has assembled the best roster? No, no amount of wins are going to shield that, but the roster is still capable of doing great things. Especially with a guy like Henrik at the backend. We see it all the time, average teams go the distance because of goaltending. Don't make me post the many examples over the years.

Cheer up guys, jesus.
Actually, that doesn't happen very often at all. Feel free to post all the examples you want, the fact of the matter is that most of the time, the team that goes the distance, as you say, is among the top teams in the league during the regular season.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 07:10 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsBlueforNYR View Post
lol... that's when he looked back to see who laughed at Torts' joke making fun of him.

Best part.
A face only mama Brooks could love.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 07:18 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Look at what you wrote and tell whats wrong here.
I dont know, why dont you tell me whats wrong with what i posted. I cant figure it out. A guy who people so often claim shows no emotion whatsoever goes out in a physical game and gets involved, dropping the gloves. I don't see how that cant be justified as giving an effort out there.

Look I'm not a Redden fan, mostly because of his contract though. His contract makes his play look awful just like Drury's (Though I do think drury is playing pretty good right now whether the pessimists want to believe it or not). Sure Redden has had his bad moments, but I really think people bash him for more than is warranted. Rangers fans will never give him credit when he has a good game because it will never be good enough for what he earns. But to say the guy wasnt giving an effort the other night is ridiculous. And brooks making a joke out of it is ridiculous as well. I applaud Torts for defending redden.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:44 PM
prorobo

Send a message via AIM to prorobo
Anyone who reads newspapers for sports news and articles are just plain dumb. If you want insider hockey, pick up "The Hockey News" magazine.

Brooks is simply another wannabe who could never play a sport so instead he criticizes and puts down professional athletes to make him feel better about his miserable and pathetic life.

prorobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:53 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

Video graciously captured and uploaded by BleedsBlueforNYR.
did larry go "that's ****ed up" at 2:40?

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:58 PM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
The last time the Rangers beat a team that is currently ahead of them in the standings was December 5th. The stretch that they just finished was the easiest of the season, filled with games against teams even worse than they are.

I'm not sure what this means.

And just as easily, they could be in 13th place in the conference.

Actually, that doesn't happen very often at all. Feel free to post all the examples you want, the fact of the matter is that most of the time, the team that goes the distance, as you say, is among the top teams in the league during the regular season.
Yep!

Cinderella teams tend to happen in football & baseball. Top teams usually come out on top in hockey & basketball.
This is not the sport where we will see the 8th seed Rangers end up in the finals playing...i don't know San Jose, Chicago or whomever.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:28 PM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by savebyrichter420 View Post
The guy right behind him is crackin up lol

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 12:31 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Anyone who writes for the Post is a borderline journalist. The post is a very slight step-up from the rags they sell at the grocery checkout.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 12:39 AM
broadwayblue

guy seems like a *******. but i do agree with him from time to time.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 12:52 AM
Dr Grant

Send a message via MSN to Dr Grant
Was bored, so I decided to make this. Enjoy.

Dr Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 12:57 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ4 View Post
Was bored, so I decided to make this. Enjoy.

You've instantly become my favorite NJD poster.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Heat McManus

Brooks will probably have the upper hand as his job at the NYPost will last far longer then Torts tenure with the NYR.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 01:16 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
Brooks will probably have the upper hand as his job at the NYPost will last far longer then Torts tenure with the NYR.
Well, that's a no-brainer.

Brooks has been with the Post for almost 35 years, far longer than any coach has ever been with any team. The average length of coaching tenure for an NHL coach is around 3.5 years.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 01:35 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Because writing for the post and coaching an NHL team is the same job...

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:34 AM
rangerfan_79

Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
Quote:
This long at the NY Post. You figure by now he would have landed a real journalist position with a more reputable media outlet?

At times I agree with what he writes but that does not make him a good writer.

rangerfan_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:53 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

brooks has the most reliable sources, breaks more stories than any other local rangers reporter, and isnt afraid to pull any punches. IMHO hes the best beat writer the Rangers have. the best blogger was Sam Weinman...now its Gross (imho)

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 07:23 AM
yankeecpt15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I loved how Brooks threatened Torts by saying "fine, I'll just speculate," as if speculation is somehow out of the norm for Larry.

"Isles going after Kovalchuk!" "Rangers' are Sundin's number 1 choice!" "Stamkos on the trade block!" Speculation, indeed.....
spot on

yankeecpt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 07:48 AM
bubba5

Brooks is awesome. He tells it like it is. This is an average team with no upside until they get rid of the baggage (Redden, Drury, Rozy). Don't be fooled by the Rangers record over the last month as they played some of the weakest teams in the NHL for most of those games. If they were any good their record over that time span should have been much better!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 08:30 AM
dedalus

Quote:

ANYTHING can happen in the playoffs
In theory, yes. As a practical matter, no.

Go and find the last time a team other than the strike-shortened Devils entered the playoffs in the bottom half of the seeds and went on to win a championship.

Hint: You'll need to begin looking during the Korean War.

Still, I understand the sentiment, and the league and the networks love to market this particular fiction. Nobody wants to believe his team has no chance, and the league and networks want their revenue.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 09:47 AM
ghirshorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
I opened this thread thinking that Brooks wrote an article about Dancing Larry
your not alone, so did I

ghirshorn is offline   Reply With Quote