HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Coyotes keeping Mueller; Looking for a top 6 forward and depth Dman before deadline?

Old
01-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

vCash: 500
Coyotes keeping Mueller; Looking for a top 6 forward and depth Dman before deadline?

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phx100117.html

Quote:
January 17, 2010 // 6:34pm ET
Coyotes likely to hold on to Mueller
TheFourthPeriod.com
Coyotes forward Peter Mueller has been the subject of many trade rumors this season, but management appears set on sticking with him.

Various reports suggested earlier this season that the Coyotes were actively shopping Mueller in an attempt to acquire some additional fire power up front.

However, Coyotes GM Don Maloney, who has been shopping for help on the blueline, seems set on keeping his rising star.

"He's had his trials and tribulations, as do most players, but I still believe in him," Maloney told the Arizona Republic. "We need him to score, he has it in him. It's just like all young players, bringing it every night on a consistent basis whether you get 10 minutes or 20 minutes.

"I'm really encouraged by Peter's game of late. It's trending to where we need it to be, and especially these important games in the second half, he could be a very important part."

The Coyotes remain in the hunt for a depth defenseman and a top-six forward, with a move or two expected closer to the trade deadline.

Files from: Arizona Republic

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:18 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit3119 View Post
What? I thought for sure we were going to peddle him and a first for some aging veteran soon to be UFA?

(yep, that's sarcasm)

Glad to see Maloney is sticking with the long-term plan.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:29 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

You mean you wouldnt trade Mueller for Whitney straight up?

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 04:38 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
What? I thought for sure we were going to peddle him and a first for some aging veteran soon to be UFA?

(yep, that's sarcasm)

Glad to see Maloney is sticking with the long-term plan.
Here, here!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 04:47 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
You mean you wouldnt trade Mueller for Whitney straight up?
No, I wouldn't.

People forget that you are not trading for what a player had done. You trade for a player based on what you think he's going to do.

Whitney is a very good veteran who will be a solid addition for a contender. A late first is a possibility if someone really loves Whitney and you think he's the difference maker required to take you to the Stanley Cup. A player that would more be sought by the Pittsburgh's of the world.

Phoenix is more of the mind frame of tweaking the roster to make the playoffs and as such their piggy bank and propensity to spend will be reduced. One of our firsts and likely our second rounder are likely in play (2 separate deals not or a longer term type player) here but to think we'd part with both Mueller and a first for 37 year old Whitney is purely wishful thinking. And if you have to sell it by telling me how great Whitney was in the past I just go back to my original point. What's he going to do for this team?

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 05:26 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
but to think we'd part with both Mueller and a first for 37 year old Whitney is purely wishful thinking.
Wishful?! Personally I'd call that ****ing moronic thinking and even then I'd be using the term thinking very loosely!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 07:25 AM
AZduner

I'm sure we will still see Mueller on another team by trade deadline. It's obvious that he doesn't fit with Tippett's system and may be the only one with enough upside to bringa top 6/dman to us.

AZduner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:07 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

I glad tos ee were sticking w/ Muelles. Thats how this franchise goes back to the barnett era. You trade 1st round picks for "pieces".

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:23 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZduner View Post
I'm sure we will still see Mueller on another team by trade deadline. It's obvious that he doesn't fit with Tippett's system and may be the only one with enough upside to bringa top 6/dman to us.
I'm afraid you'll be eating crow on this one.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Colt45Blast
Torres FTW

The Coyotes aren't getting anyone without an owner in place.
Mueller will be here past the deadline especially if he continues to score more goals for us.
In all fairness to Mueller his 2nd half so far has been better and were 2-0-1 when he scores this season.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:03 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

let me put it this way, is Mueller costing us games? Is is underperformance really killing a roster spot for us? He isn't playing on the top 2 lines

That said I would like to get him off the point on the PP and maybe yes it would be more effective with him in the corners, but as I understand Mueller is scared of the corners, so maybe in that respect he might be hindering this team a tad.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:59 PM
AZduner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
I'm afraid you'll be eating crow on this one.
I hope you are right! I would like nothing more than to have Petey establish a long, successful career with the Yotes.

GMDM may "say" they want to keep him, but I think Tippett is calling the shots - and he and Mueller seem to have a disconnect!

AZduner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:45 PM
knowsthegame

Mueller has been looking more confident lately and has extra jump in his step. He has also started playing more physical.
Mueller is a skilled player, has the size, makes good plays. He needs to play a tougher game but to his credit, he has been stronger on his stick and is cycling the puck better the last few games.
He is coming around.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
No, I wouldn't.

People forget that you are not trading for what a player had done. You trade for a player based on what you think he's going to do.

Whitney is a very good veteran who will be a solid addition for a contender. A late first is a possibility if someone really loves Whitney and you think he's the difference maker required to take you to the Stanley Cup. A player that would more be sought by the Pittsburgh's of the world.

Phoenix is more of the mind frame of tweaking the roster to make the playoffs and as such their piggy bank and propensity to spend will be reduced. One of our firsts and likely our second rounder are likely in play (2 separate deals not or a longer term type player) here but to think we'd part with both Mueller and a first for 37 year old Whitney is purely wishful thinking. And if you have to sell it by telling me how great Whitney was in the past I just go back to my original point. What's he going to do for this team?
You missed the sarcasm but thats okay

Old
01-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Chootoi

This is a fairly smart move for Maloney. Going out and picking up a "scoring" forward isn't going to do much. This team just doesn't score goals. Whitney or Nolan or whatever overage veteran on the back nine of their career that we could plug into the second line isn't going to put us over the top. They win on defense and goaltending. If we lose say Lombardi or Lang or someone to injury, it's really not going to affect the offense a whole lot.

Now if Z or Jovo, or Jelly goes down for awhile, we'll notice that big time.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:03 AM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi View Post
This is a fairly smart move for Maloney. Going out and picking up a "scoring" forward isn't going to do much. This team just doesn't score goals. Whitney or Nolan or whatever overage veteran on the back nine of their career that we could plug into the second line isn't going to put us over the top. They win on defense and goaltending. If we lose say Lombardi or Lang or someone to injury, it's really not going to affect the offense a whole lot.

Now if Z or Jovo, or Jelly goes down for awhile, we'll notice that big time.
What you say makes sense, but i think I have to disagree with you on this one. Don Maloney has done many interviews lately (NHL Live, FSN, Arizona Republic, Dave Vest) and he seems to never fail to make it a point that he wants to make the playoffs this year, for sure. In order to be more consistent, and successful in the playoffs, we need to grab someone who can put up the big goals out there for us, hence a top 6 forward. Vrbata and Upshall can't do it alone, and Doan needs to focus on being an all round player, in which he does a great job. It all really depends on what we have to give up to obtain that kind of offense, I'm not willing to trade away future for a rental, but at the same time I'm open to other options. I don't know, we'll see what happens, I can honestly say I'm hopeful that we pick up a scorer or two at the deadline to ride along with Uppy and Verby, but whatever happens, I trust Maloney.

Old
01-22-2010, 01:08 AM
PHX FireBirds18

Anyone in the Upshall and Lombardi age group, that this team can maybe get? I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Also, with us looking for a depth dman. Des that mean Maloney's not confident in Sauer coming back soon?

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 07:42 AM
Chootoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit3119 View Post
What you say makes sense, but i think I have to disagree with you on this one. Don Maloney has done many interviews lately (NHL Live, FSN, Arizona Republic, Dave Vest) and he seems to never fail to make it a point that he wants to make the playoffs this year, for sure. In order to be more consistent, and successful in the playoffs, we need to grab someone who can put up the big goals out there for us, hence a top 6 forward. Vrbata and Upshall can't do it alone, and Doan needs to focus on being an all round player, in which he does a great job. It all really depends on what we have to give up to obtain that kind of offense, I'm not willing to trade away future for a rental, but at the same time I'm open to other options. I don't know, we'll see what happens, I can honestly say I'm hopeful that we pick up a scorer or two at the deadline to ride along with Uppy and Verby, but whatever happens, I trust Maloney.
I don't disagree because we could always use more goals, but lets say we go out and make a big splash. Let's say for ***** and giggles we go out and land the biggest fish - Kovalchuk. You could pretty much cut his goal production in half when you put him in our lineup. Would it really be worth the price at that point? Even a guy like Nolan would be brought in for his worker mentality... not his scoring touch.

Tippet's system simply doesn't allow for a Chicago or Washington style offense - never mind the fact that we don't have the guns. We can roll 4 lines as good as any team in the league and keep the opposition in check, while guys like Lepisto and Erickson on the backend worry me. I'm not against bolstering the offense, but I think by solidifying the defense situation first, ya can't go wrong.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:13 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Kurt Sauer's return could be the equivalent of a depth signing if he comes back at or around the deadline. He would really solidify our D... him and Z were our most consistent defencemen last season, and once he got up to speed I would expect the same thing.

I would like to see a Patrick Sharp-type pickup before the deadline. Versteeg would be a quality piece, too, especially considering his age. The Hawks aren't likely to part with anybody if they can manage the cap, however, but they have Bolland and Burish expected back from injury in the near future. Surely they can't keep everyone happy.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi View Post
I don't disagree because we could always use more goals, but lets say we go out and make a big splash. Let's say for ***** and giggles we go out and land the biggest fish - Kovalchuk. You could pretty much cut his goal production in half when you put him in our lineup. Would it really be worth the price at that point? Even a guy like Nolan would be brought in for his worker mentality... not his scoring touch.

Tippet's system simply doesn't allow for a Chicago or Washington style offense - never mind the fact that we don't have the guns. We can roll 4 lines as good as any team in the league and keep the opposition in check, while guys like Lepisto and Erickson on the backend worry me. I'm not against bolstering the offense, but I think by solidifying the defense situation first, ya can't go wrong.
Yeah I see where you are coming from, but honestly if you think about it, there are some goal scorers that always find a way to score, no matter what team they are on. That's why I'm glad you brought up Kovy. Kovalchuk has found a way to be a top goal scorer every season over his career, even though he was surrounded by 2nd and 3rd tier talent. I'm not saying we should go and grab him, but someone who has consistently put up 30-35 goals a year would be considered a legitimate score, and someone who can play in nearly any environment. Besides, we have a lot of talented passers on our squad who can get him the puck. So like I said, it depends on what we have to give up in order to get someone like that.

Old
01-22-2010, 10:09 PM
jmichael7753

If we could get Sheldon Souray on the cheap from Edmonton would you guys do it? I mean he would help our power play big time. Him and Yandle/Aucoin/Doan at the points. Jovo in front of the net, and Upshall and Lombo on the wing/center.

jmichael7753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:18 PM
pyregretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichael7753 View Post
If we could get Sheldon Souray on the cheap from Edmonton would you guys do it? I mean he would help our power play big time. Him and Yandle/Aucoin/Doan at the points. Jovo in front of the net, and Upshall and Lombo on the wing/center.
I would pass on that. We need a top 6 winger much much more and Souray hasn't been that good this year. He has 13 points and is -15. +/- doesn't give a complete picture but I don't know who we would pair with him to keep him from giving up more goals than he contributes

pyregretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

We need a forward. Please focus on that...

Old
01-23-2010, 01:19 AM
jmichael7753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
We need a forward. Please focus on that...
I'm well aware of that, however maloney will be looking for a foward and a defenseman.

jmichael7753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:30 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Doan is coming around. Mueller just might. That's about all we should need.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote