HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators @ Coyotes (01/21/10)

Old
01-22-2010, 03:43 PM
krepitch
Coyote Fan

vCash: 500
I'm a little worried that we had to rely on an exceptional individual performance in order to win last night, but we did only give up two goals (one earned, one unearned). Do you all think we would have pulled it out if Upshall hadn't been hot?

krepitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 03:45 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by krepitch View Post
I'm a little worried that we had to rely on an exceptional individual performance in order to win last night, but we did only give up two goals (one earned, one unearned). Do you all think we would have pulled it out if Upshall hadn't been hot?
That's basically how the team has to win. Contain the other team, work hard, hope someone finds the back of the net.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by krepitch View Post
I wouldn't say it was an individual performance. That beautiful flip pass by Hanzal is what broke Upshall for his 3rd goal.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 04:26 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I wouldn't say it was an individual performance. That beautiful flip pass by Hanzal is what broke Upshall for his 3rd goal.
The first goal was a nice play by Doan, finished off by a nice move by Upshall. The 2nd was a great effort by that whole line. Doan working the corners and Lombardi sets up Upshall, the great thing about the 2nd one was the second effort. 3rd was obviously a nice pass from Hanzal. To call it an individual effort is misleading.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Out of all the players I've watched over the years Upshall is the only one the I like the most.
From the moment we got him I knew he was going to be a key player on this team and its future.
From his 1st goal in Boston to now Upshall wanted and has earned a full-time spot with this team and wants to make a name for himself here.
Coyotes did well getting a player that neither Nashville or Philadelphia was willing to give him full-time ice with and now his breakout year(as it seems now) helps considering players we have gotten rid of over the years.
I hope Up's gets 30+ goals so he gets that bonus and we can sign him to a long-term deal.

Just wondering though, why did Nashville get rid of him? I know the Philadelphia thought Carcillo was a better fit and at a discount in the future with cap issues but that trade was so one sided in our favor.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 06:26 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Just wondering though, why did Nashville get rid of him? I know the Philadelphia thought Carcillo was a better fit and at a discount in the future with cap issues but that trade was so one sided in our favor.
Posted via Mobile Device
Nashville got rid of him because they bolstered there roster by adding Forsberg for a playoff run. Philly fans said they traded Upshall because of not only cap issues, but they wanted to find room for Giroux.

Old
01-22-2010, 06:27 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Nashville got rid of him because they bolstered there roster by adding Forsberg for a playoff run.
Quote:
Philadelphia Flyers traded Peter Forsberg to the Nashville Predators for Ryan Parent, Scottie Upshall, a 1st round selection and a 3rd round selection in 2007.
Goodness. I forgot about the details of that trade.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 06:29 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
Goodness. I forgot about the details of that trade.
I believe they also traded Timmonen and Coburn, to get that 1st rounder back if I'm not mistaken.

Old
01-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Coburn came from Atlanta for... Alexei Zhitnik. Yikes. And somehow Don Waddell is still GM for the Thrashers.

I think it was Hartnell rather.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Nashville got rid of him because they bolstered there roster by adding Forsberg for a playoff run. Philly fans said they traded Upshall because of not only cap issues, but they wanted to find room for Giroux.
Thanks! Nashville gave up a lot for what appears to be a rental, I hope this team doesn't make that mistake.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 06:32 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
Coburn came from Atlanta for... Alexei Zhitnik. Yikes.

I think it was Hartnell rather.
That's right, it was Hartnell. Homgren did a good job of rebuilding that team quick, after a last place finish in the league.

Old
01-22-2010, 10:38 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
That's right, it was Hartnell. Homgren did a good job of rebuilding that team quick, after a last place finish in the league.
It helped that Nashville's ownership was in poor financial standing and had to drop some serious salary. Philadelphia ended up as the beneficiaries to that. The Preds have overcome a lot of obstacles to stay competitive since their one year atop the West.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

You gotta admire the Preds. Losing Radulov through no fault of their own, giving up a lot for Forsberg. Getting rid of both Vokoun and Mason within about a year. Losing Sullivan for more than a season. They seem to have an endless pool of defensive prospects too. I've always hoped the Coyotes would acquire on of their D prospects, maybe get another Michalek. Trotz should probably win coach of the decade.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:01 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Philadelphia were pretty lucky. They got Forsberg for nothing (as a free agent) and got to trade him for a boat-load of talent.

I dont think you have to be a great GM to accomplish that.. its more the benefit of being a rich team and blind luck. And trading those big FA signings is usually a sign of bad management (see Amonte for example).

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:27 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Too drunk to read through the thread and make any kind of sense.

I do want to say this:

There was a time earlier in the season when we were happy to steal points. Just because we've been overachieving shouldn't make us entitled to clean wins. Look at this roster. Tippett has ****ing NOTHING to work with. We HAVE to have the lowest payroll in the league. If we go .500 the rest of the way through it's still a ****ing miracle. Look what our head coach is getting out of some of these players. Guys like Prucha were waiver fodder. He's such an effective hockey player for us. We're a team of castoffs that learned to play a system, and take pride in what they do. Just look at what Paul Bissonnette is turning into. Anyone of us that grew up loving hockey should not have any legitimate gripe, right now. At this point, this season has been nothing short of amazing. It may be slipping a bit, right now, but let's try to keep perspective. Personally, I'd have been ecstatic about forty one wins. If we can get there, I'm a happy camper. No doubt. Again, I'm effed up, and haven't been posting a lot, but I've been watching all the games, and trying to take the frustration in stride.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote