HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Mathieu Darche called up

Old
01-23-2010, 07:23 AM
Natural Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
the reporter asked him "Don't you feel it should have been you the one recalled instead of Pouliot ?"

Darche chuckled and answered "At my age and with my background, I know very well my place and my role here".
Love it. Hope he continues to play well.

Natural Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 09:29 AM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
How would you describe the performance of our 3rd and 4th line, overall and thus far this season?

Bad eh?

Darche is 6'1" 215 pnds. He scored 16 goals in 32 games with the Dogs this season. If he keeps playing hard (and smart), I think he can be very useful as a member of the support crew down the stretch. Key words here: support crew.

As I already mentioned, Martin almost only used 8 ½ forwards tonight and for the first time in aeon, this team did not look like a bunch of boy scouts. In the current context, the fact that he is 33 years old and acts like a pro is a huge plus.

Once healthy, the 09/10 support crew (assuming big Darche keeps playing hard and smart) will be:

Metropolit
Moen
Lapierre
Darche
Bergeron
S. Kostitsyn or Pacioretty

Add White to the mix (D'Agostini: out) and we could be looking, finally, at real NHL 3rd and 4th lines!

3a. Moen – Lapierre – S. Kostitsyn
3b. Darche – Metropolit – White/Bergeron

Hell to Boy scouts!

PS I still have high hopes for Pacioretty btw

One game does not make a man.....especially in Hockey!
Darche played on a few teams already....not as if he is new and we are kicking the tires here......he will have his awful nights too...PacMan is a kid....and will get much better.....Darche can be serviceable for now....but only to plug holes....we would be better serve to give that place to a younger player to gain experience....rather than keep them in Hamilton....Only in Montreal will we force our kids to stay in the AHL even when we have a need in the NHL.....I doubt very much Darche will be around the big team next year.....

That being said, I am happy for the guy. He stuck to the game and loved the game even when the game did not love him.....all to his credit really....and ill take whatever he can give....but will not ride my hopes on his impressing me too often....if he stays within his limits and play crash and burn hockey as he did last night...he can be useful for now...

Last edited by Sargent Pepper*: 01-23-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

What a horrible call-up!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

A 32 years old guy, giving the team everything he can, hopefully the kids in the roster will take example of him.

Anyway, nice surprise.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:02 AM
katatoniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Darche played on a few teams already....not as if he is new and we are kicking the tires here......he will have his awful nights too...PacMan is a kid....and will get much better.....Darche can be serviceable for now....but only to plug holes....we would be better serve to give that place to a younger player to gain experience....rather than keep them in Hamilton....Only in Montreal will we force our kids to stay in the AHL even when we have a need in the NHL.....I doubt very much Darche will be around the big team next year.....

That being said, I am happy for the guy. He stuck to the game and loved the game even when the game did not love him.....all to his credit really....and ill take whatever he can give....but will not ride my hopes on his impressing me too often....if he stays within his limits and play crash and burn hockey as he did last night...he can be useful for now...
Yeah, we are also the only team who keeps his young forward in the line up even when they are not ready (Paciorrety)

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:06 AM
ROEN
HabsHQ

Funny how players with an above average level of maturity seem to do quite well in Montreal ...
Posted via Mobile Device

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Guillermo

Send a message via AIM to Guillermo Send a message via Yahoo to Guillermo
I sure prefer to have Darche on a 4th line vs O'Byrne!

Guillermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post

"… we would be better serve to give that place to a younger player to gain experience....rather than keep them in Hamilton....Only in Montreal will we force our kids to stay in the AHL even when we have a need in the NHL…"

I respectfully disagree.

I know a lot of you guys/gals want this team to "tank/lottery pick" but it won't happen: a new owner in town, Gainey and, to a lesser extent, Martin fighting for their jobs. Gionta, Cammalleri and Gomez are solid hockey players in their prime… and in year ONE of multi years contracts. And playoffs are still within reach.

Plus, with the emergence of Pouliot, this team can make some noise… especially once Andrei Kostitsyn's name reappears on our starting line-up.

You really want more kids in the line-up? All the following players are under 25 years old: Andrei Kostitsyn (24), Sergei Kostitsyn (22), Maxim Lapierre (24), Benoit Pouliot (23), Jaroslav Halak (24), Carey Price (22)… how much youth do you need/want?!

I agree with ROEN:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROEN View Post
Funny how players with an above average level of maturity seem to do quite well in Montreal ...
Posted via Mobile Device
D'Agostini (23) acted mainly as a passive passenger in 09/10. Pacioretty (21) has been more useful (I like him a lot but he is only 21 years old) but I would not be against sending him with the Dogs… especially (1) since Lever is out and Guy Boucher is in and (2) if 6'1" 215 pnds Darche, a real pro, keeps working hard and smart.

One last note: I am not overhyping big 33 years old Darche here: if he keeps playing hard and smart, he could be a very useful member of the support crew (I don't expect him to play on the top lines!) down the stretch. We need men; not kids.

Copy/paste:

"… Add White to the mix (D'Agostini: out) and we could be looking, finally, at real NHL 3rd and 4th lines!

3a. Moen – Lapierre – S. Kostitsyn
3b. Darche – Metropolit – White/Bergeron

Hell to Boy scouts!
"

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 01-23-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 12:50 PM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

Great game from Darche last night, hopefully will continue tonight

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Bolt32

Glad to see Darche is doing well. When he was with the bolts he looked lost with Brad Richards, as soon as Richy was gone though he was paired with Halpern, Oulette and him as a line. They were our best line to finish the season off. Always had a huge amount of respect for him. He works hard, willing to go into the corners and get the little things done. He wont be a sure fire point producer but he will do the things that makes teams successful. Congrats Darche!

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 01:32 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
They are saying he plays tonight in the same article?

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:23 PM
coolasprICE

Darche's brother, J.P , just announced his retirement from the NFL, playing 8 seasons .. His brother intends to study medicine

http://www.rds.ca/football/chroniques/291276.html

What's funny is that there's no mention on the RDS article that this is Mathieu's brother

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:46 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

The difference between Darche and D'Agostini lies in Darche's ability to play a solid forechecking game.

Also, D'Agostini has to be Montreal's worst forward in man-to-man coverage and most defensive responsibilities. Darche can hold his own just fine in that department, which makes him a versatile option for Martin to use on almost any offensive line.

In terms of offensive input, obviously D'Agostini's wrist shot is a natural gift that makes him a more dangerous threat than Darche on a top-2 line -- but only when he's confident in using it. We havent't seen any sort of confidence inside the faceoff circle from D'Ago, 4 months into the season. And it's not like he hasn't been given the opportunities to prove himself... If at least he was creating stuff and getting pucks on net.

At this point, I'm personally just about ready to give up on #36. He's close to worthless in the Habs' 13 forward group as it is.

didjuicythat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Oh wow, this actually going to be a feisty game.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 07:53 PM
dustyrockon

Im pretty happy with this call up. No rushing of younger players, hes got experience, and hes clearly been playing well. 3 points in 3 games, and the game tonight is not done! lol

But overall hes got good positioning, he works hard, pretty good control overall with the puck. Hes great for the 3rd 4th line and I love him filling a gap for now.

dustyrockon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 09:14 PM
freezie

solid game again, steady , nothing fancy. thats just excellent !

freezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 09:17 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

I think Darche will be sticking around for the rest of the year... but that's what I thought about Ryan White so we'll see. But Darche>>>>>>>>D'Agostini... The only difference is that D'Ago's on a 1way

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 09:23 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Ilike what I'veseen of Darche.He's strong on his feet,and plays like an amazing mensleaguer,hustling his butt off with high IQ, and making nice plays here and there. Almost like Metro but less skilled...

Another Moen?

As things stand, I'd like to see with everyone healthy:

Cammalleri-Plekanec-AKostitsyn
Gionta-Gomez-Pouliot
SKostitsyn/Pacioretty-Metropolit-Moen
Bergeron-Lapierre-Darche

Markov-O'Byrne
Hamrlik-Spacek
Gill-Gorges

Halak
Price

And next year:

Cammalleri-Plekanec-AKostitsyn
Gionta-Gomez-Pouliot
Moen-Lapierre-Darche
SKostitsyn-Maxwell-Pacioretty

Markov-O'Byrne
Hamrlik-Spacek
Gill-Subban
Gorges

Halak
Price

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 09:39 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

I was a better idea to call up a veteran instead of a youngster

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Artyukhin*

gotta give the guy Props.
he knows the time to make hay is now , and is given it all he got .
these first 3 games ,he is leaving it all out on the ice.

Props to ya Darche

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 01:59 AM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

maybe darche can be like a metropolit of sorts for us. can never have too much metro on a team.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 02:10 AM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Not much to say.

I like him.

Very solid.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 06:54 AM
GNick42

Marche has had a couple good games but let him play awhile before making a decision on him. Remember Marcel Hossa or Greg Stewart? Many players come up and play great for a few games then fade away.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Coldplay
Courage

I hope he's here to stay, very solid bottom 6 player.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
STAN DARCHE....

(anybody?)

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote