HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jack Johnson

Old
01-23-2010, 10:45 AM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
Jack Johnson

Kings GM Dean Lombardi and Johnson have had a falling out, to say the least.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=728406

Could we possibly obtain Johnson on the cheap? The Kings have enough cap space to do a Rozy for Johnson swap. Johnson's cap hit is only 1.425 mil and he has one year left after this, then he is an RFA.

Kings get a top 4 dman for their push to the playoffs and the Rangers get a player who is struggling, but still has potential, plus some much needed cap space.

We can use that cap space by trading for an expiring contract. We wouldn't necessarily have to send money the other way. And then we'd have that money available this offseason to get our RFAs resigned and maybe tinker in the UFA market.

Thoughts? Would LA go for it?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:52 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

I highly doubt they would take any part of Rosy for JJ. Other teams will throw together a better swap.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

If they don't want Rozsival, I'd deal Girardi.

Anthony Mauro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:54 AM
NYR Viper

Yeah, LA would be a team difficult to trade with as they have a lot of very young d-men already and good skilled forwards as well. Not sure what they would be looking for but I doubt they would want to take on salary.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:00 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
If they don't want Rozsival, I'd deal Girardi.
I know that trading/excommunicating/assassinating Girardi is the "in" thing right now, but he's better defensively than Johnson. So is Rozy for that matter, but at least by trading him, we get the bonus of cap space.

If Girardi is going to get traded, it will be in the offseason because Sather doesn't want to pay him, not because he didn't step in when Gaborik and Carcillo were fighting.

Old
01-23-2010, 11:02 AM
rangerjoe

Guys, Los Angeles isn't going to just give away Jack Johnson due to a falling out. Even if they do trade him, it certainly won't be a past-his-prime, overpaid d-man with little offense in Roszival. They'll want draft picks or a young, established player.

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:07 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjoe View Post
Guys, Los Angeles isn't going to just give away Jack Johnson due to a falling out. Even if they do trade him, it certainly won't be a past-his-prime, overpaid d-man with little offense in Roszival. They'll want draft picks or a young, established player.
Johnson hasn't played well and now there's bad blood between him and Lombardi. That doesn't mean they will trade him, but I can't imagine that the return will be substantial if they do.

Old
01-23-2010, 11:07 AM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Young offensive defenseman who has yet to establish his defensive game.

Next.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:08 AM
ThirdEye

Is he really as bad defensively as his +/- has been over the years? Or is it just because he plays for the Kings?

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:10 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I know that trading/excommunicating/assassinating Girardi is the "in" thing right now, but he's better defensively than Johnson. So is Rozy for that matter, but at least by trading him, we get the bonus of cap space.

If Girardi is going to get traded, it will be in the offseason because Sather doesn't want to pay him, not because he didn't step in when Gaborik and Carcillo were fighting.
Girardi has been a possible odd man out for a while now, not since the incident the other night. We may have to part ways with him only for cap relief and/or because he has some trade value.

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:19 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
he's better defensively than Johnson.
This is just an assumption on your part. Johnson gets 20+ minutes a game most nights. If you're basing it solely on his +/- and reputation as an offensive defenseman I think you're wrong.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Johnson has been matched up against opposing top-lines for much of this season. He's become quite solid defensively, not sure what player some of you are watching.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:23 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by #97 View Post
Girardi has been a possible odd man out for a while now, not since the incident the other night. We may have to part ways with him only for cap relief and/or because he has some trade value.
Yes, I understand that. That's why I said that if we trade him, it will be in the offseason because Sather doesn't want to pay him. That seems to be Sather's MO.

But it's likely that Rozy will get traded at some point between now and next season. If we trade Girardi too, then we HAVE to get an experienced dman back in one of those trades (or sign one as a UFA, which will cost more).

Two 2nd year dmen and two 1st year dmen aren't going to cut it on our blueline next year.

Old
01-23-2010, 11:33 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
This is just an assumption on your part. Johnson gets 20+ minutes a game most nights. If you're basing it solely on his +/- and reputation as an offensive defenseman I think you're wrong.
I'm basing it on this article:

http://frozenroyalty.net/2010/01/20/...aft-belatedly/

And yes, partly on his +/- as well. Doughty goes against the best players too, and he's +14 to Johnson's -18.

That's not to say that Johnson won't be better than both Rozy and Girardi in a couple years. I guess the question is, does Lombardi believe that Johnson will continue to progress defensively?

I haven't seen him play outside games against the Rangers, so maybe I'm completely off base. I just thought it might be an avenue worth exploring.

Old
01-23-2010, 11:44 AM
avery16*

Quote:
I'm basing it on this article:

http://frozenroyalty.net/2010/01/20/...aft-belatedly/

And yes, partly on his +/- as well. Doughty goes against the best players too, and he's +14 to Johnson's -18.

That's not to say that Johnson won't be better than both Rozy and Girardi in a couple years. I guess the question is, does Lombardi believe that Johnson will continue to progress defensively?

I haven't seen him play outside games against the Rangers, so maybe I'm completely off base. I just thought it might be an avenue worth exploring.
dude, you need to lay off the stats, i think girardi is a fine dman, but johnson is and will be in another class.. this kid is good..

go watch a few kings games before you start spating off about how bad or good a player is tough guy

avery16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:49 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by avery16 View Post
dude, you need to lay off the stats, i think girardi is a fine dman, but johnson is and will be in another class.. this kid is good..

go watch a few kings games before you start spating off about how bad or good a player is tough guy
Lol. Am I the one acting like an internet tough guy in this thread? My apologies.

Old
01-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Skills wise what is not to like. Stats can be misleading too. But the only thing I would question here is can Johnson handle life in Manhattan on a regular basis? That is a seperate discipline in itself. That's where I would question him in a Rangers sweater.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
For an offensive dman this guy sure hasnt produced much.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I would take him only if Gilroy was going the other way. I would much rather a more physical guy coming soon to our blueline.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:50 PM
SouvenirCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I would take him only if Gilroy was going the other way. I would much rather a more physical guy coming soon to our blueline.
Gilroy + a 3rd for JJ

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:30 PM
True Blue 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouvenirCity View Post
Gilroy + a 3rd for JJ
They already have our 3rd from Boyle

True Blue 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

A guy whose had major issues with carolina, and now has major issues with the kings? and really hasnt done all that much in his career...

DO NOT WANT.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:05 PM
benneyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
A guy whose had major issues with carolina, and now has major issues with the kings? and really hasnt done all that much in his career...

DO NOT WANT.
I'll go the other way. Seems like a golden opportunity to grab a Moderate Risk/High Reward guy. I can't even really call him a prospect as he's on his way to proving himself in the NHL.

Telling comment to me in the article - Johnson was in the top six Dmen of those making up the Olympic team. They know more than we do.

benneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:12 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Johnson has been matched up against opposing top-lines for much of this season. He's become quite solid defensively, not sure what player some of you are watching.
The few games I've watched him this season he was fine. Nothing spectacular, but certainly not terrible.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by benneyb View Post
I'll go the other way. Seems like a golden opportunity to grab a Moderate Risk/High Reward guy. I can't even really call him a prospect as he's on his way to proving himself in the NHL.

Telling comment to me in the article - Johnson was in the top six Dmen of those making up the Olympic team. They know more than we do.
but for Girardi+? That doesnt make sense to me...I know Girardi takes a ton of flack, but hes been a good teammate here and weve never had issues with him...Im not sure how that helps this team? seems, at best, a lateral move if he performs the way he has this year. and at worst a step back in the character department.

Id rather upgrade the forward position that the defense to be totally honest. I think were set defensively thanks to the youth we have in the system.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote