HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT: Jets in San Diego

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2005, 10:42 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Pj...

either way it's not the easiest call, I admit. Brien had been horrible, but sometimes you have to go for the win. If they were 2-3 yeards closer it's almost a no-brainer for Edwards, despite it still being quite far and Brien not kicking well. I personally didn't like the way the defense played on the last couple possessions and thought Brees & Co. had a groove on. It ended up working out for them, obviously, but so often you see teams play it safe (sitting on a lead) in the fourth only to lose (especially when momentum's shifting the other way).

Old
01-09-2005, 11:49 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
I'm a huge Giant fan and i happen to like Edwards. He's a class act
Seems like Edwards sells paper and makes the job easy for the beatwriters and journalists so his faults are overlooked or passed onto his assistants because he's good media and they want to keep him here. I can't blame the media because they are right. Running Edwards out and getting another Al Groh is not going to make their jobs easier.

Last year it was the defense coordinator and now it's time to bury Hackett. Reading the papers you would think Hackett is the head coach and Edwards is his asst.

All the problems that team has had on the sidelines during his tenure, clock management, basic mistakes, how they started seasons (until this one) general disorganization just reflecting poor coaching that starts at the top. I'm glad they won yesterday but during that game Edwards staff made some terrible blunders along with the disgraceful display with the running backs coach that would have been a much bigger story if they lost.

In the end Marty Schottenheimer lived up to his rep as a coach who finds a way to beat himself a little more than Edwards.

Old
01-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Fletch

I think I agree NYIsles...

I've never thought of Edwards as a good coach in the conventional sense. He has an ability, though, to prepare his players for a game, keep them motivated during the game, and, perhaps most importantly, is a guy for whom his players want to play. Not an X and O guy. Clock management has been a huge problem. Play calling has been suspect, mostly on the offensive side of the ball. But in the end, a team that is really only an OK team has made it to the playoffs three of four years, and has just won a playoff game. That's what really counts. I do think that in an ideal world, Edwards is your defensive coordinator, but, while he continues to win as head coach, he'll continue to be head coach.

The Jets actually have a chance in PITT (especially if Abraham is healthy). I wouldn't put money on it, but with that running game, a smart passing game, and a pass rush, there's a chance.

Last edited by Fletch: 01-09-2005 at 02:58 PM.
Closed Thread