HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coyotes keeping Mueller; Looking for a top 6 forward and depth Dman before deadline?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2010, 01:33 PM
  #26
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris
 
TeamTippett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Phx
Country: United States
Posts: 5,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyregretzky View Post
I would pass on that. We need a top 6 winger much much more and Souray hasn't been that good this year. He has 13 points and is -15. +/- doesn't give a complete picture but I don't know who we would pair with him to keep him from giving up more goals than he contributes
your right, but keep in mind Souray is playing on a very bad team in front of a rookie goalie most nights thats being hung out to dry. The +/- figure is somewhat tilted. I don't like Souray bc of the money he is owed and I would only presume IF we can get any trade deadline help it's going to be on the cheep and I would rather spend what little moneys we may have on a FW.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 01:43 PM
  #27
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.
 
Devils Advocate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Doan is coming around. Mueller just might. That's about all we should need.
Need to do what? Win one game in the playoffs, and then we're all ecstatic?

Doesn't anyone want to have more than what the Coyotes 'need' to make the playoffs?

What do the Coyotes need to finish 4th and get home-ice in the first round? What do they need to win a playoff series?

I don't want to trade Mueller for an aging vet with proven playoff success, but if one of their first round picks can do it, I realize the risk, but I think its worth it. Hoping Mueller comes around is a long-shot gamble which still looks uncertain at this point.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 01:47 PM
  #28
pyregretzky
 
pyregretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
your right, but keep in mind Souray is playing on a very bad team in front of a rookie goalie most nights thats being hung out to dry. The +/- figure is somewhat tilted. I don't like Souray bc of the money he is owed and I would only presume IF we can get any trade deadline help it's going to be on the cheep and I would rather spend what little moneys we may have on a FW.
I agree that the horribleness of the Oilers does ad some leeway but if I'm not mistaken he had injury problems(concussion or something?) recently which makes it seem like a pretty risky gamble. I've always seen Souray as very similar to Jovanovski and the idea of having to double shift Z to cover for both of them causes me concern

Just as a crazy hypothetical... if Alexei Yashin wanted to and was able to return to the NHL at a reasonable price what would you say?

pyregretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:00 PM
  #29
zz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Doan is coming around. Mueller just might. That's about all we should need.
^ This.

Quote:
The Coyotes remain in the hunt for a depth defenseman and a top-six forward, with a move or two expected closer to the trade deadline.
I wish I knew where they got this information, because I don't believe it. Anyone actually thinking we're going to trade for a talented top 6 scoring forward better than anyone we already have is being delusional. We're not in a position to add salary, and won't be before the trade deadline.

And we don't have salary to dump, either. Are we going to get rid of one or more of Jovanovski, Doan or Bryzgalov for a scoring forward? I sure hope not.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:03 PM
  #30
zz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
Need to do what? Win one game in the playoffs, and then we're all ecstatic?
That's fine by me. I don't want to be the next Nashville, giving up good young assets to get Forsberg the first year they make the playoffs, make a quick exit and pay for it over the next few years.

Make the playoffs this year and hope for the best.

Hopefully win a series next year with some help from some of our prospects.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:17 PM
  #31
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.
 
Devils Advocate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
I wish I knew where they got this information, because I don't believe it. Anyone actually thinking we're going to trade for a talented top 6 scoring forward better than anyone we already have is being delusional.
I'm not sure who the top 6 Coyote forwards are but here are the top 6 scoring in points:
Doan
Lombardi
Vrbata
Upshall
Hanzal
Lang

Is it delusional to think they can acquire any of the following with one of their first-round picks:

Cory Stillman
Ray Whitney
Antti Miettinen
Andrew Brunette
Alex Tanguay
Alexei Ponikarovsky
Niklas Hagman


I'd be willing to bet everyone of the players on the trade list will outscore at least 2 (as well as Prucha & Mueller) of the Coyotes top 6 forwards.

I hope you don't think it's delusional to think the Coyotes can acquire a top-6 forward better than Mueller...and I'm talking about this season, someone who will score more, including in the playoffs.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:19 PM
  #32
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.
 
Devils Advocate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
That's fine by me. I don't want to be the next Nashville, giving up good young assets to get Forsberg the first year they make the playoffs, make a quick exit and pay for it over the next few years.

Make the playoffs this year and hope for the best.

Hopefully win a series next year with some help from some of our prospects.
How do you jump to the Nashville example?....I'm talking about giving up 1 first round pick. For a decent veteran scoring forward...not the marquee scoring forward.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:36 PM
  #33
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,676
vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind upgrading robert lang.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:42 PM
  #34
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?
 
Naych_PHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: phoenix
Posts: 5,673
vCash: 500
I think Ponikarovski could be had for a 2nd, maybe even a 3rd and a prospect. That's one guy I've been thinking of.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:20 PM
  #35
ducky
Registered User
 
ducky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Home of Kokanee Beer
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,983
vCash: 500
Whitney would be a great addition but I am not in favour of a rental for a player that will return to his former team ala Tkachuk

I like Ponikarovsky. He would be well worth a 2nd rounder.

IF we do trade Mueller I hope it is a part of a larger deal to get a top 3 forward but not many are really available. I don't see us landing Kovalchuk merely because I see us having zero chance of signing him. Do you take a risk on Lecavalier? He's on pace for an 80 point season and is only 29 (though his contract runs out when he is 50 or something silly). I would be interested in the Youtes pursuing Hemsky except that won't help the team this season.

First order of business still s/b re-signing Michalek. THEN go after a scorer.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:43 PM
  #36
zz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Whitney would be a great addition but I am not in favour of a rental for a player that will return to his former team ala Tkachuk.
I don't know. Considering we probably can't add his $ 3.5M to next season's payroll, I wouldn't mind renting the guy for the playoffs in exchange for a 2nd or 3rd pick, then send him back.

I don't think Tanguay is an upgrade.

Brunette would be nice. But at $2.3 for the next couple seasons, what do we cut to stay at the cap floor? Lang probably won't be much of interest for a team like the Wild. And anyway, Lang is only signed for this season, right?

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:44 PM
  #37
zz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
How do you jump to the Nashville example?....I'm talking about giving up 1 first round pick. For a decent veteran scoring forward...not the marquee scoring forward.
You still need to make room for that veteran's salary if the guy's not a UFA this summer. How would you do it?

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 05:37 PM
  #38
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Brunette would be nice. But at $2.3 for the next couple seasons, what do we cut to stay at the cap floor?
Why are we assuming we have to stay at the cap floor? Has something come out recently about this?
Quote:
Lang probably won't be much of interest for a team like the Wild. And anyway, Lang is only signed for this season, right?
I might move Lang, along with valuable assets, to a rebuilding team, in order to upgrade Lang. I believe it was Pho that brought up Brad Richards in another thread. That might be something to look at.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 08:57 PM
  #39
IIHFjerseycollector
Registered User
 
IIHFjerseycollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix , AZ
Country: North Korea
Posts: 728
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to IIHFjerseycollector
kovalchuk

IIHFjerseycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 09:45 PM
  #40
Rabbit
Captain Cook
 
Rabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Bay California
Country: United States
Posts: 4,499
vCash: 500
for some reason, i see Maloney trying to pick up Tanguay, he showed much interest before, maybe he'll try again. I really like the idea of grabbing Poni or Stajan from Toronto. We'll see what happens

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:55 PM
  #41
jmichael7753
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit3119 View Post
for some reason, i see Maloney trying to pick up Tanguay, he showed much interest before, maybe he'll try again. I really like the idea of grabbing Poni or Stajan from Toronto. We'll see what happens
If where going to get anyone on tampa thats not Lecalvialer I want Ryan Malone.

jmichael7753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 11:57 PM
  #42
jmichael7753
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
I don't know. Considering we probably can't add his $ 3.5M to next season's payroll, I wouldn't mind renting the guy for the playoffs in exchange for a 2nd or 3rd pick, then send him back.

I don't think Tanguay is an upgrade.

Brunette would be nice. But at $2.3 for the next couple seasons, what do we cut to stay at the cap floor? Lang probably won't be much of interest for a team like the Wild. And anyway, Lang is only signed for this season, right?
Ice edge has said when they take over we wont have to be at the cap floor anymore. they said of course they arent talking about the max but they said they will be adding a couple of million past the cap floor.

jmichael7753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:09 AM
  #43
zz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Why are we assuming we have to stay at the cap floor? Has something come out recently about this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichael7753 View Post
Ice edge has said when they take over we wont have to be at the cap floor anymore. they said of course they arent talking about the max but they said they will be adding a couple of million past the cap floor.
Ice Edge won't have control of the team before the trade deadline. If all goes well, we can hope for end of the season. So whatever they claim about expected budget won't matter this season.

The team's still losing money. The NHL is still operating under the current lease terms. They need to be able to offload those losses to the new buyers, which will increase the sale price. There's only one interested buyer, and their pockets aren't exactly full.

I can't imagine the league telling Maloney he can commit to anything more than the bare minimum. It simply wouldn't make sense - it would just put the asset and the transaction more at risk.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 12:40 AM
  #44
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful
 
Blubba Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NE Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,267
vCash: 500
It might also become hard to find sellers if things don't change in the east. Currently Tampa is in 13th but they are a mere 3 points from 6th.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 04:04 PM
  #45
jmichael7753
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,064
vCash: 500
Some fan purposed this on the main board.

TO PHX
Horcoff
Moreau
EDM 1st 2010

TO EDM
Turis
PHX 1st 2010

I think id do this trade just to have the shot at Taylor Hall.

jmichael7753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 04:09 PM
  #46
Rabbit
Captain Cook
 
Rabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Bay California
Country: United States
Posts: 4,499
vCash: 500
no to EDM proposal

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 05:48 PM
  #47
jmichael7753
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit3119 View Post
no to EDM proposal
Really? its not every day when you can draft a taylor hall.

jmichael7753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 05:56 PM
  #48
ducky
Registered User
 
ducky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Home of Kokanee Beer
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichael7753 View Post
Some fan purposed this on the main board.

TO PHX
Horcoff
Moreau
EDM 1st 2010

TO EDM
Turis
PHX 1st 2010

I think id do this trade just to have the shot at Taylor Hall.

Adding Horcoff and Moreau does almost nothing for helping the coyotes get into the playoffs this season. So I would say NO.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 06:17 PM
  #49
tv14
Registered User
 
tv14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,125
vCash: 500
Any interest in O'Sullivan and Staios? or even Souray?

tv14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 06:21 PM
  #50
pyregretzky
 
pyregretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichael7753 View Post
Some fan purposed this on the main board.

TO PHX
Horcoff
Moreau
EDM 1st 2010

TO EDM
Turis
PHX 1st 2010

I think id do this trade just to have the shot at Taylor Hall.
I'd do it if the Coyotes 1st was taken out and replaced with a 2nd. Horcoff is incredibly overpaid and taking his contract would require overpayment, Moreau doesn't really bring anything that we need or don't already have and since the draft is a lottery system there is no guarantee that Hall wouldn't land somewhere else. We are still years away from knowing what we really have in Turris and what his actual value is. Not every player develops immediately.

pyregretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.