HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

CSN Philadelphia Loophole Closed, CSN to be available on other providers.

Old
01-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
no, i'm not. I'm stating that they treat THEIR OWN customers in different cities differently.

you are adding in 'cable front'

a Comca$$$t customer that has their internet / phone service in DC, CHI can get their home teams on satellite.

a Comca$$$t customer that has their internet / phone service in Philly cannot get their home teams on satellite.

having cable is not even part of the issue here
...then why does it matter what Comcast does with their various CSN channels?

If you are a Comcast cable subscriber in any of those cities, you get the channel(s) in question. If you are not, it's up in the air based on the agreements with the various cable entities involved.

If you purchase satellite service, then Comcast has zero responsibility to you for what appears on your television. You are not a Comcast cable subscriber, and therefore not a Comcast cable customer. Being a Comcast phone/internet subscriber has nothing to do with your TV.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:22 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Wow...

Irresistible Force Paradox

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Jester

Quote:
Comca$$$t says otherwise

I'm thrilled that Comca$$$t is being made to comply with the law. And their loophole to skirt it is going away.
Dude, seriously?

It's a friggin bundle package of three separate service. Who is saying they don't provide these three things.

The problem is that you think providing three distinct services is the same as providing one service. The idiotic example you keep putting up proves the fallacy of your logic from start to finish.

The individuals you are outlining are making the following choices:

1) to be a Comcast phone subscriber. (Comcast customer)

2) to be a Comcast internet subscriber. (Comcast customer)

3) to be a satellite provider subscriber. (NOT Comcast customer)

#1 and #2 have nothing to do with Cable. Those folks are being treated exactly the same by Comcast in both cities. #3 is getting different channels in different cities because satellite providers (Comcast's competitors) have had different deals with Comcast...

Old
01-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

If you purchase satellite service, then Comcast has zero responsibility to you for what appears on your television. You are not a Comcast cable subscriber, and therefore not a Comcast cable customer. Being a Comcast phone/internet subscriber has nothing to do with your TV.

wrong again: FEDERAL LAW states that Comca$$$t Company must make those channels available to competitors.

again, you disregard the facts

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I'm aware, but I'm pretty fascinated with it at the same time.

Old
01-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Dude, seriously?

It's a friggin bundle package of three separate service. Who is saying they don't provide these three things.

The problem is that you think providing three distinct services is the same as providing one service. The idiotic example you keep putting up proves the fallacy of your logic from start to finish.

#1 and #2 have nothing to do with Cable. Those folks are being treated exactly the same by Comcast in both cities. #3 is getting different channels in different cities because satellite providers (Comcast's competitors) have had different deals with Comcast...
Dude,
as if a Car Dealership that sells cars and does repairs claims 'you're not our customer because you got your car fixed here, but you didn't buy it here'

or

'you're not our customer because you bought your car here, but you didn't get it fixed here'

only a Comca$$$t shill would think that makes sense.

use your degree and explain that one.

nobody compared / equated 'providing one service' to 'providing three' ..... regardless, you are still a Comca$$$t customer.

Old
01-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Jester

Quote:
wrong again: FEDERAL LAW states that Comca$$$t Company must make those channels available to competitors.

again, you disregard the facts
Ugh.

Federal law...NOW...is making Comcast sell the channel to their competitors, which they were not doing previously.

Old
01-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Jester

Quote:
Dude,
as if a Car Dealership that sells cars and does repairs claims 'you're not our customer because you got your car fixed here, but you didn't buy it here'

or

'you're not our customer because you bought your car here, but you didn't get it fixed here'

only a Comca$$$t shill would think that makes sense.

use your degree and explain that one.

nobody compared / equated 'providing one service' to 'providing three' ..... regardless, you are still a Comca$$$t customer.
Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

Old
01-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:

#1 and #2 have nothing to do with Cable. Those folks are being treated exactly the same by Comcast in both cities.
no, they are not, Dude:

a Comca$$$t customer [with only 1 & 2] in DC, CHI can get their home teams on satellite.

a Comca$$$t customer [with only 1 & 2] in Philly cannot get their home teams on satellite.

Old
01-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Jester

Quote:
no, they are not, Dude:

a Comca$$$t customer [with only 1 & 2] in DC, CHI can get their home teams on satellite.

a Comca$$$t customer [with only 1 & 2] in Philly cannot get their home teams on satellite.
Yes, because they don't purchase their television service from Comcast, thus making getting their home teams on their television not Comcast's problem.

As said, you want Comcast to be concerned about other people's customers.

Old
01-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

in other words, you cannot explain it away...

they both are 'customers' of that Car Dealership

Old
01-23-2010, 04:33 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
no, they are not, Dude:

I am unfamiliar with the ins and the outs of the debate, but can you explain to me why Comcast is responsible for what channels satellite customers receive?

There's a basic leap that you're making here that doesn't make sense to me. I mean, I don't really like Comcast either, but I do not understand this complaint.

Old
01-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Yes, because they don't purchase their television service from Comcast, thus making getting their home teams on their television not Comcast's problem.

As said, you want Comcast to be concerned about other people's customers.
incorrect again. all I said was that Comca$$$t is getting called out for treating THEIR CUSTOMERS worse in Philly.

and rightly so. soon to be stopped - the loophole used to skirt the law removed !

Old
01-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Jester

Quote:
incorrect again. all I said was that Comca$$$t is getting called out for treating THEIR CUSTOMERS worse in Philly.
Someone with satellite service is not a Comcast customer! They are a DirecTV or whatever customer.

Old
01-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
I am unfamiliar with the ins and the outs of the debate, but can you explain to me why Comcast is responsible for what channels satellite customers receive?

There's a basic leap that you're making here that doesn't make sense to me. I mean, I don't really like Comcast either, but I do not understand this complaint.
Under Federal law, cable companies are required to lease channels they own to competitors at "reasonable" rates.

Old
01-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Jester

Quote:
Under Federal law, cable companies are required to lease channels they own to competitors at "reasonable" rates.
Except the loophole you've been referencing consistently didn't mandate that Comcast had to do that (until now) with regard to CSN-Philly, and therefore they were not putting the channel out their for their competitors (which makes perfect sense if you're Comcast and you don't want to help out your competition).

It wasn't Comcast's fault that individual X purchased DirecTV...they could have purchased Comcast cable and gotten all the Philly sports they wanted.

Old
01-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Someone with satellite service is not a Comcast customer! They are a DirecTV or whatever customer.

no argument has ever been made otherwise.

that also has zero to do with the facts:

a Comca$$$t customer that has their internet / phone service in DC, CHI can get their home teams on satellite.

a Comca$$$t customer that has their internet / phone service in Philly cannot get their home teams on satellite.

Old
01-23-2010, 04:44 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
The one where the loophole was closed 3 days ago?

So you are upset that in the 2 business days since the FCC guys closed the loophole, satellite companies haven't set up the Comcast feeds?

Old
01-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Except the loophole you've been referencing consistently didn't mandate that Comcast had to do that (until now) with regard to CSN-Philly, and therefore they were not putting the channel out their for their competitors (which makes perfect sense if you're Comcast and you don't want to help out your competition).

It wasn't Comcast's fault that individual X purchased DirecTV...they could have purchased Comcast cable and gotten all the Philly sports they wanted.

agreed.

and Comca$$$t will get this nice little way to evade that law removed.

Old
01-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Jester

Quote:
no argument has ever been made otherwise.
It's actually exactly what you're arguing based on the logic you're applying.

Quote:
that also has zero to do with the facts:

Again with this... three separate services... and three separate end user purchases. Those people are Comcast customers for phone and internet....that's it. Whatever is going on with their TV is completely and utterly outside the domain of anything to do with Comcast's responsibility. They are not being treated differently by Comcast at all...if they wanted to purchase Comcast cable, they'd be happy to hook 'em up and take their money.

Old
01-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:

So you are upset that in the 2 business days since the FCC guys closed the loophole, satellite companies haven't set up the Comcast feeds?
no.

i'm not upset at anything. I'm just stating facts to counter those that feel Comca$$$t shouldn't reallyu have to sell the channels to Dish Network, ATT Uverse, FIOS DTV & competing cable companies.

Old
01-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Jester

Quote:

It's more of a Comcast is evil for:

1) having taken advantage of this...and treated satellite (not Comcast) subscribers differently in different cities.

2) they're ******** for trying to leverage into the NFL ST monopoly.

And some other stuff.

Old
01-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Jester

Quote:
no.

i'm not upset at anything. I'm just stating facts to counter those that feel Comca$$$t shouldn't reallyu have to sell the channels to Dish Network, ATT Uverse, FIOS DTV & competing cable companies.
No one ever said that, man. Just refuted you labeling them not selling the channel as "unequal" treatment of Comcast customers, and that doing that in the first place was somehow "wrong."

Old
01-23-2010, 04:50 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
no.

What facts are these though?

I fail to see how an analogy about a car repair shop is a fact that demonstrates how Comcast is evil.

Is this going to circle back around to the satellite thing?

Old
01-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
It's actually exactly what you're arguing based on the logic you're applying.

Again with this... three separate services

nope, you and your degree continue to miss the point that Comca$$$t considers anybody that buys any of their services as customers - regardless of how you try to claim otherwise. there is no Comca$$$t statement that says 'you are only 'our customer' if you buy every service we provide'

As if MetroPCS says 'well, we offer internet svc on your cellphone, but since you just have voice svc, you're not really our customer'